RPG-related Interactions with ChatGPT

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 28, 2024 5:02 pm
I think that is super interesting in how people are using it. As an experiment I tried to have it write my Turn in combat for my IRL game character, Red Dragonborn Conquest paladin with shield master feat and it gave a pretty good description:

Prompt
I am playing dnd in a play by post format. I am going to give you a description of my action then you will provide a more narratively rich description of that action.
"I use my action to attack twice with my Longsword, using a 1st level smite on any hits. I also use my bonus action to do a shield shove attack"

Response
"With a resolute determination, you draw your Longsword, its blade gleaming in the dim light of the dungeon. You step forward, the weight of your armor no hindrance to your agility as you make two swift, calculated slashes towards your foe. As your blade connects with the enemy's flesh, you channel the divine energy within you, infusing each strike with the power of your 1st level smite, causing radiant energy to burst forth upon impact.

But your assault doesn't end there. With a deft movement, you pivot on your heel, bringing your shield crashing into your opponent with the force of a battering ram. The impact sends them staggering backward, momentarily stunned by the unexpected attack. It's a flurry of strikes, each move executed with precision and purpose, as you fight to turn the tide of battle in your favor."

Obviously in PbP the dice rolls could determine if those actually hit or not, and if the Shield Shove works but makes for something interesting
Last edited February 28, 2024 5:03 pm
Feb 28, 2024 6:24 pm
I've used it to generate poems and songs and rhyming prophecy, I've used it to brainstorm "head canon" and speculative fiction in established IPs (like Forgotten Realms, Middle-earth, "the Wizarding World", and others), I've used it to generate lists and random roll tables, and to help brainstorm plot for RPGs.

It's a great tool that in some cases does things I could "never" do (come up with actually good rhyming songs/poems/prophecy) and in some cases it just lightens the burden of GMing (spitting out lists and generating additional ideas for me to tinker with).

I have found that for extended conversations about narrow topics (which I think using it as a GM would fall under), you absolutely have to, as someone else put it, provide it periodic summaries of the conclusions you've come to (when GMing, this would be: what's happened so far in the plot) to keep it on track and prevent it from "losing the thread".

But given how popular solo RPGs have become, I think there's a HUGE audience/market for an AI GM.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.