What games would you love to run on here?

Jun 14, 2023 2:25 am
What games would you love to play and run on here? Just curious.

I would love to play in a Candela Obscura game on here as a play by post game with ryuutama, mausritter and more.
Jun 14, 2023 3:11 am
I'd love to run an Ars Magica saga on GP. It's not terribly optimized for PbP but I'd enjoy running it. I'd also enjoy running a Star Trek game but not using the Mophidius STA rules. They just don't sit well with my style.

I do plan on starting a ShadowRun game, using the Chronicles of Darkness rules, later this summer.
Jun 14, 2023 3:47 am
There aren't any games I'd love to run because if I want to run something I just run it. For playing, maybe Brinkwood, Coriolis, Brindlewood Bay, Heart the City Beneath, Grok?!, and Shattered City.
Jun 14, 2023 4:05 am
I still want to run Damn the Man, Save the Music on here at some point. There are enough new people on the site that this time I might get some interest 😄

Beyond that, I'm interested in trying a Belonging Outside Belonging game and I'd love to run a Monsterhearts game, though for both of those, the players would need to be the right ones.
Jun 14, 2023 5:47 am
Either Monster of the Week or Savage World / Monster Hunter Club

And I have a D&D campaign world in mind which still needs a lot of work.

I am afraid of the time it takes to actual run things :)
Jun 14, 2023 6:49 am
I would love to run a Dragonbane game at some point. First i need to get my kickstarter books (expect within the next month or so). Then I need to reduce my active games by 1 or 2 games to clear headspace
Jun 14, 2023 12:14 pm
I would love to run a Torg Eternity game if I could find a suitable way to deal with the cards mechanic.

Also wanted to try Sentinel Comics RPG.

And for each new Pathfinder Adventure Path that is released I want to run those as well. Though one game with tactical combat is enough for me.

And I just started listening to a Blades in the Dark Actual Play which I loved, so bought the book for that and hopefully I'll be able to grok it.

But don't have the time with my current workflow sadly.
Jun 14, 2023 1:17 pm
I would like to run a game of The House Doesn't Always Win (itch link), but the site can not deal with the cards mechanic. :(
Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm
I've been long threatening to run a Feng Shui game inspired entitrely by Kung Fury.

I'm currently trying to wrap my head around a game where the PCs are Muppets in the modern world, much like in the show.

A recently failed game based on the back country of the Appalachian mountains in the depression era has me scribbling notes for something dark and creepy in that setting.
Jun 14, 2023 1:29 pm
I'd be down for an old TMNT game, just for the nostalgia factor. Although I'd rather play than run it, if I'm being honest.
Jun 14, 2023 1:31 pm
witchdoctor says:
I do plan on starting a ShadowRun game, using the Chronicles of Darkness rules, later this summer.
Second edition NWoD? Never got into the revisions, but now you have me curious about Shadowrun.
Jun 14, 2023 5:11 pm
I plan on running a homebrew Traveller campaign here in the fall after I've had a chance to iron out the story details and learn how to GM here. Yes, I know that there are plenty of how-to guides available (and which I'm grateful for) to read. Hoping the learning curves aren't too steep for me.

After I'm comfortable with GM-ing here with a game I know inside and out, I'd like to take a shot at Across a Thousand Dead Worlds, Coriolis, Eclipse Phase, Stars Without Number, and World of Aetaltis. Not necessarily in that order.
Jun 14, 2023 5:29 pm
ForeverDED says:
... and learn how to GM here. ... Hoping the learning curves aren't too steep for me. ...
There are plenty of people who would happily help if you find any questions while learning how to do it. Same for after you start your game, that is still a time of learning and if you reach out, many of us will be more than happy to help as you need.
Jun 14, 2023 6:50 pm
nezzeraj says:
There aren't any games I'd love to run because if I want to run something I just run it. For playing, maybe Brinkwood, Coriolis, Brindlewood Bay, Heart the City Beneath, Grok?!, and Shattered City.
@Nezzeraj One week only, a Brinkwood Deal just dropped at Bundle of Holding.
Jun 14, 2023 6:53 pm
Brinkwood and Brindlewood in one post. Way too confusing. Unless you combine them... 🤔
Jun 14, 2023 7:23 pm
MaJunior says:
witchdoctor says:
Second edition NWoD? Never got into the revisions, but now you have me curious about Shadowrun.
Yes, I'm adapting the Chronicles of Darkness ruleset for ShadowRun. I feel like CoD might handle the setting with a more streamlined set of mechanics and avoid the bloat of the current editions. CoD also handles aspects of the investigative and social sides of the setting that get ignored in favor of throwing gallon buckets of d6 into solving problems with the Firearms skill.
vagueGM says:
ForeverDED says:
... and learn how to GM here. ... Hoping the learning curves aren't too steep for me. ...
There are plenty of people who would happily help if you find any questions while learning how to do it. Same for after you start your game, that is still a time of learning and if you reach out, many of us will be more than happy to help as you need.
The perfectionist in me puts me square in the same situation as DED. With so many great GMs around, it can feel a bit daunting to roll out what seems like an inferior game experience due to lack of coding skills.
The only way to learn is by doing... Well, maybe not the only way but it does accelerate the process.
bowlofspinach says:
Brinkwood and Brindlewood in one post. Way too confusing. Unless you combine them... 🤔
Ooh, I call dibs on Sophia Petrillo, Sicilian Vampire Hunter! 😂
Jun 14, 2023 8:11 pm
witchdoctor says:
MaJunior says:
witchdoctor says:
Yes, I'm adapting the Chronicles of Darkness ruleset for ShadowRun. I feel like CoD might handle the setting with a more streamlined set of mechanics and avoid the bloat of the current editions. CoD also handles aspects of the investigative and social sides of the setting that get ignored in favor of throwing gallon buckets of d6 into solving problems with the Firearms skill.
Interesting... what were the changes in rules between NWoD and CoD? I know virtue and vice mechanics changed, and the morality system got overhauled... was there more?
Jun 14, 2023 9:22 pm
I skipped the nWoD bit so I can't really say what the changes were. I played oWoD and picked up CoD afterwards. CoD and nWoD are broadly compatible mechanically with just a few tweaks from what I can tell though.
Jun 14, 2023 9:37 pm
I'm pretty much the opposite. Played OWoD, got into NWoD when it started coming out. Then the God Machine stuff dropped and they started on revisions, which sorta put me off, and when CoD officially released I officially decided to stick with the system I had.
Jun 14, 2023 11:43 pm
witchdoctor says:
I skipped the nWoD bit so I can't really say what the changes were. I played oWoD and picked up CoD afterwards. CoD and nWoD are broadly compatible mechanically with just a few tweaks from what I can tell though.
IIRC, the main difference is that in oWoD the target number is variable and generally 6. In nWoD it's fixed at 8. Botch mechanics are different accordingly, as are other related things like the bonus dice from spending Willpower.
Jun 15, 2023 12:01 am
Qralloq says:
IIRC, the main difference is that in oWoD the target number is variable and generally 6. In nWoD it's fixed at 8. Botch mechanics are different accordingly, as are other related things like the bonus dice from spending Willpower.
We were debating the changes between NWoD and CoD. (OWoD preceded NWoD and was resumed after CoD concluded.)

CoD (Chronicles of Darkness) was essentially NWoD 2nd Edition. There were changes and revisions, I'm just not entirely sure what they were.
Jun 15, 2023 12:39 am
vagueGM says:
Thanks VagueGM! That's good to know. :)

Ok, excuse me for getting... mushy, while I've been here a couple of months now, I still can't get over how welcoming this place has been. It's just so refreshing. :)
witchdoctor says:
The perfectionist in me puts me square in the same situation as DED. With so many great GMs around, it can feel a bit daunting to roll out what seems like an inferior game experience due to lack of coding skills.
Yes! I've coded my share of HTML, but this still has a pool of syntax that I have to dive in to and familiarize myself with.

But it's also about the gameplay experience. I've joined a few games as a player to observe the GMs and get a feel for how it's done here. I've been a perma-GM for decades, but it's been PBeM since F2F ended, so while I have a firm grasp on how that's done, the interface, not to mention the expectations of players, is different.
Jun 15, 2023 1:40 am
No coding ability is needed to run games. Just like in a face to face game, it is about the creativity not about the technical acumen or tools. Most games can get away with (and may be better for) just typing text with no use of anything 'fancy'. The bar above the text area where we type should be enough for any game.
Jun 15, 2023 3:55 am
Qralloq says:
One week only, a Brinkwood Deal just dropped at Bundle of Holding.
bowlofspinach says:
So I also got them confused haha. When I wrote Brinkwood I was thinking of Brindlewood Bay, then when I got saw Brindlewood I was like "oh Brinkwood is different, but I'm too lazy to edit my post" haha. So I do own Brinkwood and just forgot, no idea how or when I got it lol. But thanks for the heads up!
Jun 16, 2023 8:24 am
Ledosero says:
Either Monster of the Week or Savage World / Monster Hunter Club

And I have a D&D campaign world in mind which still needs a lot of work.

I am afraid of the time it takes to actual run things :)
@Ledosero
we ran 3 short adventures plus a mega campaign of Monster Hunters Club for well over a year, here on GPlane. Huge fun.

At some point I want to carry on, will give you a buzz when we do.
You can take a peek at its 24 chapters here
Jun 16, 2023 8:35 am
It was great fun. And I still maintain that "MegaOctagon!" is one of the best thread titles ever, fitting for that campaign's grand finale.
Jun 16, 2023 9:34 am
@Dr_B
Oh! Interesting. If you ever plan to run it again, I am certainly interested.
Last edited June 16, 2023 9:34 am
Jun 16, 2023 9:36 am
Will definitely ping you, @Ledosero

@bowlofspinach was one of the awesome players who stuck with it since day one!
Last edited June 16, 2023 9:36 am
Jun 16, 2023 4:27 pm
Furmyr says:
I would love to run a Torg Eternity game if I could find a suitable way to deal with the cards mechanic.
As someone else who would love to run, but would love more to play a Torg Eternity game, there's always the Card Deck script. :)

Even as a test I've been tempted to set up the Drama and Destiny decks as scripts...
Jul 8, 2023 8:11 pm
I actually already run most of what I want to run, and the remainder is in the wings. My one regret is that my Savage Worlds fantasy campaign died before it had a chance to take off. I also enjoyed the Savage Worlds Pinebox Middle School campaign that I ran which recently folded. That was a lot of fun!
Jul 9, 2023 1:03 am
I’d love to run a Degenesis, Coriolis, or Symbaroum campaign but DMing has always intimidated me so I doubt it’ll ever happen lol. Still, super fun systems I hope to explore more of one day.
Jul 9, 2023 3:00 am
Eventually I'm going to run another Pathfinder or DND campaign set in my home campaign setting, and I have both a bleak post apocalyptic military game and a sleek space opera with psions and a religious with magic empire game in my Core 8 system that I want to kick the tires on, but I'm ages away from doing any of those since I have a pretty full slate.
Jul 9, 2023 6:54 pm
I've been running a Cyberpunk Red game of my own creation but now that Tales of the Red is out I've been thinking about running that on the side.

I've always wanted to run a Shadowrun Anarchy game on here as I feel like the system would lend well to PbP.

I also recently got introduced to Highcaster/Dungeoncaster at a con and I love the "yes and" system of story development, seems like it would work marvelously on post.
Jul 12, 2023 4:40 pm
Count me in if you ever sit down to Shadowrun Anarchy! But better yet I would like to try Shadowrun 3rd edition some day. Or maybe GM it's QuickStart rules... but first have to read it carefully :)
Aug 19, 2023 4:01 pm
I'd love to run my Fall of Plaguestone game in PF2e, but I think it'd be a bit much for play by post, and till some of the games I'm in wind down, I'm not wanting to stretch myself thin.
Aug 19, 2023 5:18 pm
The new Marvel Multiversal RPG.

Just found it like a week ago and started reading through it. The old FASERIP system is my first real RPG, so I'm super biased about Marvel systems, but I have to admit I like a lot of what I see so far.

That said... I think the system would lend itself far better to PbP than the FASERIP system ever could, so that's one tick in its favor.
Aug 19, 2023 6:08 pm
I’ve considered running Fading Suns over pbp. I tried to do it on another site, but there wasn’t enough interest. Most of the visitors to that site were more interested in D&D. But people on GP seem to enjoy a larger variety of games, so maybe I’ll try again in the future.
Last edited August 19, 2023 6:15 pm
Aug 19, 2023 7:10 pm
Two games I'd love to run when I get free time sometime:

Star Trek Adventures: Captain's Log -- Billed as a Solo play game, it also supports coop and traditional GM'd games. The mechanics are much more slimmed down and great for fast resolution of tasks and combat, making it an ideal game for PbP.

Firefly the TV Series (QuestWorlds) -- Playing original characters, post-Serenity movie era. I'd probably use QuestWorlds (free SRD, used to be called Heroquest and before that Hero Wars). Again, fast combat resolution and I love the free-form character generation where you can build any character you can imagine.
Aug 19, 2023 7:24 pm
This thread seemed to have tended towards 'what would you want to run here but can't really', which, on rereading the OP, is not what was asked. It now looks like it is 'back on track'. :)
A few games that have I have thought (or been asked) about recently are:

Last Fleet: (PbtA) Basically Battlestar Galactica with the serial numbers filed off. I wouldn't mind being a player in this one too.

Blackout: A Game of Civil Defence: (PbtA) You play as --mostly female-- auxiliaries involved in Civil Defence (dealing with anything from food shortages to bombed buildings) during the London Blitz, WWII.

Night Witches: (PbtA) You play as members of the legendary --and also real-- all woman 588th Night Bomber Regiment, playing out their path through WWII.

Both Blackout and Night Witches have a slightly uncomfortable tinge due to the current action in Ukraine, so I am less inclined towards running them right now.
I think I am in the mood for some Urban Fantasy, and might offer to run a game. I don't know the tone or shape of it yet --that will be up to the player-group as it is formed-- think something along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, The Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Werewolf by Night, The Magicians, and so on.

System-wise I am thinking of a variety:

Probably lead by Monster of the Week (PbtA) as I like its Playbooks ('classes' or 'professions' from other popular games), and think it has a great Magic System. Possibly including elements from Tome of Mysteries and/or Codex of Worlds.

I am hesitant to start Urban Shadows (PbtA) right now, as I am waiting for the second edition to reach a playable state.

I can't say I was all that enthused by Rivers of London (BPR) from what I read, and it seems a bit limiting.

If people want to play Dresden Files I might consider using the official Dresden Files Accelerated (Fate) game, though I have always found that to have great Character Creation and then fall flat during play. :( I though a fair bit about Dresden Files while reading Cortex Prime (Cortex), but I don't think I will go that route here. A strong setting like Dresden is ideally situated for FKR (Freeform) if everyone has read the books and is on the same page as to 'what works in-world', but FKR has problems with 'strangers', so I would need a lot of convincing to do it here with a Pick-Up-Group.

Nahual (PbtA) looks really interesting from what I saw during the kickstarter, but I don't own it and have not seen the final product. I could be convinced to pick it up (if it is available for more than just pre-order).

Brindlewood Bay (PbtA) looks intriguing, but I only have the 'first edition'. I am also not very familiar with the subject material. Someone would have to buy it for me for me to really consider it.

City of Mist (PbtA) has some fun elements, but they work much better in a more interactive --and preferably physical-- medium, the cards and sheets are a big part of the appeal. I could be persuaded, though.

Apocalypse World (PbtA... or 'the original A that Ps the others':) is still my go-to, and it can do pretty good 'Urban Fantasy' as well. It is always on the cards with me. :)

There are some other systems that I have thought about during this writeup, but it is getting long and they are more 'things I might think about looking into'. (Pigsmoke, Liminal, Turn, Sunset Kills, Kult, ...)
Aug 19, 2023 10:00 pm
Dreamweaver says:

Firefly the TV Series (QuestWorlds) -- Playing original characters, post-Serenity movie era. I'd probably use QuestWorlds (free SRD, used to be called Heroquest and before that Hero Wars). Again, fast combat resolution and I love the free-form character generation where you can build any character you can imagine.
Oh man, I hope you actually do run this! Firefly is such a great IP and has always been one of my (and everyone else's probably) favorite shows.
Aug 19, 2023 10:15 pm
I have just gotten back and still figuring out what time I have to devote to gaming here.
Three games I would like to run are:

Dragonbane- New game that just came out that I pre-ordered. The physical copy should be arriving soon but I have read the pdf. The adventure module that came with it is an entire campaign that I would like to run.

Blue Rose - I like the ages system and I think I would be able to run a fun campaign though I would probably tinker with parts of the setting especially around the blue rose and nobility.

Finally The Dark Eye - something about it I really like.

I hope to run another solo game or two so deciding what I have time to do is the first question I am needing to ask myself.
Aug 20, 2023 12:01 am
I'd love to run a Coyote & Crow game.

I'm currently cutting my teeth GM-ing my first game here on GP and learning how to use the site controls. After I'm a bit more comfortable with how that all works (and if time allows), I'll start working on a few adventures for Coyote & Crow.
Aug 20, 2023 12:33 am
witchdoctor says:
I'd love to run a Coyote & Crow game.

I'm currently cutting my teeth GM-ing my first game here on GP and learning how to use the site controls. After I'm a bit more comfortable with how that all works (and if time allows), I'll start working on a few adventures for Coyote & Crow.
I got Coyote and Crow recently! It looks like a really fun game. I’ll try to get in on that if you run it.
Aug 20, 2023 2:23 am
witchdoctor says:
I'm currently cutting my teeth GM-ing my first game here on GP and learning how to use the site controls.
And your doing an awesome job at it!

What's coyote and crow?
Aug 20, 2023 4:18 am
Agreed with dominion. Yours is a great game so far!

Also, I would love to play in a coyote and crow game of yours. I missed the KS because it was at an unfortunate time for me, but that would definitely be the trigger for me to go ahead and buy the (unfortunately pretty expensive) book.
Aug 20, 2023 9:07 am
I’m thinking for some time now about 3 variants:
1. Coriolis - one shot adventure about prisoners that managed to escape the prison and have some treasure map, so are goig for it. A polish adventure that won some contest and is really interesting in my opinion. Of course would run it in English. The adventure include space ships battle/chase that I wanted to always try in this system too:)

2. Using Twilight 2k rules to play campaign where PC discover the apocalypse was caused by aliens… and from now on we are going full X-com:) With base building and researching /salvaging new technologies:)
To be honest: I’m shocked that there is no such expansion to the system so far and I’m thinking about writing one…

3. My own setting and my own YZE+Fabula Ultima+Cortex Prime hack with dice generating mechanical and narrative effects, push your luck elements and managing Effort in shapes of Vigour and Focus(will power ) - science fantasy world, where adventure begin as PCs are children or most trusted court members of the King that is absent leading the defence war far away, and they are send by evil king’s nephew to "prison valley" also far away that is sorrounded by almost impassable mountains … on gigantic pterodactyl… and will have to start to exlopre the valley to gather their strength and supporters For the cause of saving the kingdom and escaping the valley.
You got dinos as your mounts:) In fact dinos are as common as any other animal in this world. So we have strong stonepunk elements. You have technology on Leonardo Da Vinci level/steam pack… magic… and… the ruins in the dense jungle of the valley are strangely similar to mayan and astecs… having aspects… that are either magical or achievable with current level of technology… :) And there are ferries and mistical worlds. If you have ever read the best comics books of Thorgal you would know about what I’m talking about:) I planned to heavily inspire some locations and adventures on Dragonbane adventures book, things like OSR classics: Winter’s daughter, Grottoes, thomb of serpent king and others.
Aug 20, 2023 12:20 pm
Viking1031 says:

Dragonbane- New game that just came out that I pre-ordered. The physical copy should be arriving soon but I have read the pdf. The adventure module that came with it is an entire campaign that I would like to run.
@Viking1031 I got mine last week. There is a xp pr gameplay mechanics where you ask your players some questions (did you defeat a monster? Did you play on your weakness? ect..) that I have been thinking about how to translate to PBP. Currently, I'm thinking that a "game session is a month, perhaps two months
Aug 20, 2023 5:03 pm
I think this is an excellent idea for a thread, thank you Amber. There are three ideas I've been kicking around, but I haven't got everything sorted enough to make a proper interest check thread.

Starfinder: With the announcement of 2e, I am reminded that I haven't brought this game to table nearly enough. I really enjoy Starfinder, particularly after the options started opening up with more books. What I'd like to do is start around level 3, maybe a little higher (to help counteract the slow pace of pbp), and maybe run some Starfinder Society stuff instead of something as ambitious as an Adventure Path. That'd give me a series of short, attainable scenarios, where I could more easily onboard replacement players to contend with attrition.

Bleak Spirit: Bleak Spirit is kind of a weird fit, since it's more of a storytelling game than an RPG where the players kinda swap hats between writing for the protagonist, the world, and being the Chorus who just kinda adds details to what the other two are doing. It tries to create the highly speculative story telling method employed by most Souls-like games without getting hung up on the gameplay style in a way I find intriguing. I've been thinking about running a small game with two or three players in a post-apocalyptic world where mankind is absent and robots are striving in the world they left behind. Something kinda 30XX/Nier:Automata/Casshern inspired.

Apocalypse Frame: Surprising no one, I am hype for Armored Core 6, so a fast-playing game of customizable mecha is definitely going on the list. I've been keeping up with the supplemental material, so I'd probably run it as a Hexcrawl with exploration elements, and maybe give the pilots leverage to split up and go their own way, or team up to handle more dangerous situations as they choose. Kind of a West Marches campaign, but with giant robots.
Aug 20, 2023 5:08 pm
Celestine says:
Starfinder: With the announcement of 2e, I am reminded that I haven't brought this game to table nearly enough. I really enjoy Starfinder, particularly after the options started opening up with more books. What I'd like to do is start around level 3, maybe a little higher (to help counteract the slow pace of pbp), and maybe run some Starfinder Society stuff instead of something as ambitious as an Adventure Path. That'd give me a series of short, attainable scenarios, where I could more easily onboard replacement players to contend with attrition.
I'm currently running a Starfinder one-shot on here after our group finished a different one-shot (that one was Starfinder Society as well), so it can definitely work. We all agreed that starting higher than level 1 is a good idea, though.
Aug 20, 2023 6:06 pm
And Bowl is doing a fantastic job.
Aug 20, 2023 6:27 pm
Beginner games.

I want to learn how to play new game systems. It seems like new players are less likely to get chosen over experienced players...
Aug 20, 2023 10:53 pm
@Celestine -- wait wait wait. I didn't know Apocalypse Frame was Lumen-based! Procuring now!

@Smiley -- you are so right. I've recently got a little more breathing space in my PbP schedule, and I should fire something short up for people who are just getting their feet wet...
Aug 20, 2023 11:03 pm
@Harrigan
I have mainly played PbP DnD 5e games using Discord.

I would love to learn a new system. Call of Cthulhu, Mutants and Masterminds, Pathfinder 2e ect.
Finding a game in those systems and that are newbie welcome is always hard.
Last edited August 20, 2023 11:06 pm
Aug 21, 2023 2:12 am
Viking1031 says:
I have just gotten back and still figuring out what time I have to devote to gaming here.
Three games I would like to run are:

Blue Rose - I like the ages system and I think I would be able to run a fun campaign though I would probably tinker with parts of the setting especially around the blue rose and nobility.
If you do decide to run Blue Rose, I would love to play. I'm not familiar with the AGES system, but I am familiar with the world and find it fascinating.
Aug 21, 2023 1:08 pm
Smiley says:
@Harrigan
I have mainly played PbP DnD 5e games using Discord.

I would love to learn a new system. Call of Cthulhu, Mutants and Masterminds, Pathfinder 2e ect.
Finding a game in those systems and that are newbie welcome is always hard.
I run a newbie Cthulhu game every couple of months. Next one will start prepping early september
Aug 21, 2023 1:19 pm
nezzeraj says:
never even heard of any of these games. So i went and googled them. still clueless. what makes you wanna play them? have you got all these games and have read the core books and thought this looks cool? what is cool: the systems? the settings? the rules? character creation? after a fashion do you not feel ultimately they are all much of muchness and what we really crave is a group of good players/GMs that fit in with your preferences/schedule?
geniunely interested in your answer......
Aug 21, 2023 1:39 pm
I own all of them except Shattered City where I only have a preview version. Each game is different and has different objectives and feels. Brindlewood Bay is murder-solving grannies, Heart is about rising up against imperial oppressors, Grok?! is just a weird fantasy setting that looks fun, Shattered City has a cool setting that's focused on rebuilding and exploring, etc. For your last question, yes, we want players/GMs that fit, but life doesn't give much free time anymore which is why PbP has become popular. I don't think they're all much of muchness, so many games have unique or interesting mechanics that make them very different, although certainly some are very similar.
Aug 21, 2023 2:59 pm
nezzeraj says:
Brindlewood Bay is murder-solving grannies...
Murder, She Wrote the RPG?
Aug 21, 2023 5:29 pm
Plus a dose of Golden Girls, and Lovecraft. ;)
Aug 22, 2023 12:22 am
WhtKnt says:
nezzeraj says:
Brindlewood Bay is murder-solving grannies...
Murder, She Wrote the RPG?
Harrigan says:
Plus a dose of Golden Girls, and Lovecraft. ;)
Yes to both lol.
Aug 24, 2023 10:26 pm
I have also been thinking of running a Fellowship game here. As usual, the players would define the world/setting (especially in Fellowship), but I did have an idea for a game 'Against the Tyrant Gods' where the PCs rebel against the gods of the world that have been keeping the world from progressing (technologically) to 'maintain belief systems' (possibly taking very loose inspiration from the novel Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny if I remember that right (his titles are not always 'clear':), it has been while since I read Fellowship, so it might not actually work with that idea, though).
I have also been thinking/asked about No Country for Old Kobolds. PCs play as generations of Kobolds, trying to defend their village from the regular rampaging 'adventurers' that will come through and destroy everything they don't steal for no reason. PCs die a lot... that is how they level up: by having the next generation take over with most of the same 'family traits' but with some 'evolution' making them stronger.
Sep 17, 2023 2:32 am
runekyndig says:
Viking1031 says:

@Viking1031 I got mine last week. There is a xp pr gameplay mechanics where you ask your players some questions (did you defeat a monster? Did you play on your weakness? ect..) that I have been thinking about how to translate to PBP. Currently, I'm thinking that a "game session is a month, perhaps two months
I am thinking it through as well. What I am thinking right now for I want to run the adventures that came with the game. I may break down each adventure into 1 or 2 sessions depending on how it goes. I am also thinking into adding another story arc that will take place once the original one is done.
Sep 17, 2023 7:13 am
@Viking1031 if you will run a dragonbane game, I'll join and provide a charactersheet templete :)
But the real kicker is the initiative system. That one is really not suited for PBP
Sep 17, 2023 2:48 pm
The card-based initiative that's become the standard in many Free League games is pretty easy to model with d10, d100, or even d1000 (to avoid duplicates) rolls, actually. The GM can simply roll for the whole group, rolling twice for those who are supposed to pull two cards, then get right to it.
Sep 17, 2023 3:32 pm
I'd love to see some Masks on this site. As a player or running it
Sep 17, 2023 3:35 pm
I have been toying with the idea of running an Elemental game. It's a universal system that uses a d6 and that die can explode only one time. You add your attribute + skill to the total. It's light, which is one of the reasons I like it. But not too light. New players would find it easy I think. I have yet to nail down the setting though.
Sep 17, 2023 3:37 pm
Chloe says:
I'd love to see some Masks on this site. As a player or running it
I'm playing in a Masks game and it is a system that I think would be fun to run as well. It's not on my immediate list but it's something I'd definitely consider for the future.
Sep 17, 2023 10:00 pm
vagueGM says:

I have also been thinking/asked about No Country for Old Kobolds. PCs play as generations of Kobolds, trying to defend their village from the regular rampaging 'adventurers' that will come through and destroy everything they don't steal for no reason. PCs die a lot... that is how they level up: by having the next generation take over with most of the same 'family traits' but with some 'evolution' making them stronger.
Sounds like a very interesting concept. Never heard of it. Thank you very much, I will look into it. If you create this game or even wanna try rotating GMs, please invite me. ;)
Last edited September 17, 2023 10:43 pm
Sep 18, 2023 12:12 am
htech says:
vagueGM says:

... No Country for Old Kobolds. ...
... wanna try rotating GMs, please invite me.
Intriguing proposal. It is a simple enough game that rotating GMs might be a feasible option.

If you want to try GMing --it, or some other-- I would happily help you with that as well.
Sep 18, 2023 6:41 pm
There's this and then also I'm interested in something completely different.
Sep 21, 2023 4:32 pm
Seeing as I'm prepping for a game, I'll add my voice to this. I'm wanting to run a narrative-focused game with diplomacy and problem solving as the main focus. For now, I'm looking to use 5e only because of the setting and system is already there for me to use. And let's face it, most people are familiar enough with 5e that there won't need to be much teaching.
Sep 21, 2023 6:02 pm
GuardianRory says:
Seeing as I'm prepping for a game, I'll add my voice to this. I'm wanting to run a narrative-focused game with diplomacy and problem solving as the main focus. For now, I'm looking to use 5e only because of the setting and system is already there for me to use. And let's face it, most people are familiar enough with 5e that there won't need to be much teaching.
@GuardianRory 5e is just a game system. By setting do you mean forgotten realms? Darksun? Eberron? Grayhawk? Dragonlance? Or your own homebrew word?
Sep 21, 2023 9:10 pm
Well, I actually want to run a game in the Warcraft universe. I fell pretty hard for the worldbuilding back when I started WoW back in it's vanilla days. I read through the lore and have wanted to explore it more than the games allow.
Sep 21, 2023 9:58 pm
GuardianRory says:
Well, I actually want to run a game in the Warcraft universe. I fell pretty hard for the worldbuilding back when I started WoW back in it's vanilla days. I read through the lore and have wanted to explore it more than the games allow.
There is a d20 (D&D 3.0) source book for Warcraft, and a fan made conversion for D&D 5e.
Sep 22, 2023 4:23 am
Yes, though I'm not thrilled with the D&D 3e version, it has some good lore in its region entries. It's the fan-made conversion for 5e that I'm planning on using. :)
Oct 3, 2023 3:13 pm
I'll chime in too. I'll have to read through every bodies thoughts, but it seems like there's some good stuff here.

Man... there's so many. I'm still getting my feet wet with the site but some of the games that keep coming back to me are:

A superheroes in space game - Kind of a BattleStar Galactica meets X-Men meets Space Seed from Star Trek. The players have a space ship and some powers and need to explore an unknown sector of space to find a new home. Or Fight an evil space empire. Or just be super heroes. It would be Sandboxy an open ended.

I'm also interested in running an espionage game with super powers. It would be similar to Gatchaman if anyone saw that or the show The Unit meets Power Rangers. A group of agents with special skills and abilities are trying to stop a bunch of bad guys and terrorists and keep the world free and people safe.

Girl by Moonlight which was a kickstarter. Worth looking up if you hadn't heard of it. No real concept yet.

The last one I'll put here is some sort of martial arts epic. Not sure how high or low powered yet, but the idea is that there are several factions in a the city, all with some martial prowess and there's a kind of cold war going on. The players have to navigate this and kick some butt at the same time. There's a system called Fight to Survive that came out on Kickstarter which is kind of like Pendragon meets Double Dragon, I'd love to check that system out.
Oct 3, 2023 4:00 pm
Aegis says:
I'm also interested in running an espionage game with super powers. It would be similar to Gatchaman if anyone saw that or the show The Unit meets Power Rangers. A group of agents with special skills and abilities are trying to stop a bunch of bad guys and terrorists and keep the world free and people safe.
Could be interesting
Oct 4, 2023 3:40 am
Thanks! Yeah the idea keeps coming back to me and I keep refining it. Maybe one day I’ll return to run it here
Oct 4, 2023 9:37 am
Mage the Ascension (20) - only played in a one-shot, but I just love the reality-warping conceit behind the world. I still struggle to understand how it all fits together, how the magic 'really works', and would just love to play in that world.
Oct 4, 2023 9:55 am
Conan's Hyperborea is a great setting but hard to keep going. Modiphius' system doesn't feel like a good fit for it either but there are plenty of others that do hit that gritty low fantasy feel.

Mage is a tricky game to run because of the very nature of the characters and the breadth of their abilities...not to mention the heavy dose of lore everyone needs (players & Storyteller) to even begin to understand what's going on.

Both would be awesome games to see run, however.

I'd like to run Coyote & Crow sometime and maybe Ars Magica, as well. I may take a stab at one of them after getting my feet wet running ShadowRun on GP and slowly learning the site tools.

Also, I second Rune's opinion on the Espionage Supers game sounding like an intriguing idea.
Oct 4, 2023 10:04 am
BeardHare says:
Mage the Ascension (20) - only played in a one-shot, but I just love the reality-warping conceit behind the world. I still struggle to understand how it all fits together, how the magic 'really works', and would just love to play in that world.
Aye, it's way more complicated (in rules and setting) than what I usually go for - and would want to build up experience running other games through PbP, and playing Mage myself, before ever trying to run it here. Although MAYBE there is space to try running the Pay-What-You-Want two-page very-rules-light Mage hack "Fluid Realities" before then...
Oct 4, 2023 12:30 pm
Camilla says:
Kult, Conan
I'd definitely be up for playing a Kult game if you run one
witchdoctor says:
I'd like to run Coyote & Crow sometime
And I'd also very interested in this.
Oct 4, 2023 2:23 pm
BeardHare says:
BeardHare says:
Aye, it's way more complicated (in rules and setting) than what I usually go for - and would want to build up experience running other games through PbP, and playing Mage myself, before ever trying to run it here. Although MAYBE there is space to try running the Pay-What-You-Want two-page very-rules-light Mage hack "Fluid Realities" before then...
BeardHare says:
BeardHare says:
BeardHare says:
BeardHare says:
Mage is definitely on my wishlist
And thx for the link
Last edited October 4, 2023 2:24 pm
Oct 4, 2023 3:03 pm
I'm playing a mage (although the Awakening 2e) game on another forum. It's hard to keep track of spell factors.
Oct 4, 2023 3:15 pm
witchdoctor says:
Conan's Hyperborea is a great setting but hard to keep going. Modiphius' system doesn't feel like a good fit for it either but there are plenty of others that do hit that gritty low fantasy feel.
I don’t know... I love the 2d20 game. It feels pretty pulpy to me. Fast paced. We definitely had a few of our guys die on a play through so it was pretty gritty for us
Oct 4, 2023 9:12 pm
I want to get some experience playing games on here before I try running anything, and I dunno how well it would even work on here, but I'd really like to give Rotate Bird a shot eventually. Been rolling around an idea involving robots and sapient toys (that are also robots.)
Oct 23, 2023 10:32 pm
In no particular order...
Devil's Crossroad.
Carbon Grey
Open Quest
Nowhereville
Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition
Rocket Amoeba
Bugbears & Borderlands
Into The Unknown
Undiscovered: The Quest For Adventure
The Well
Courant Fractal
The Dead
The Dead Are Coming
Atomic Highway
Toxandria
Paleomythic
Black Sword Hack
Space Aces
Red Giant
Old School Essentials
Shotguns n' Saddles
Highcaster
Dragonblade
Shadow of the Demon Lord
The Monsters Are Our Heroes
Swords & Chaos
Running Out Of Time
Hell Night
Simple Quest
Beasties & Battleaxes
Swords & Six-Siders
Dominion Rules
Torchbearers
Barbarians of Lemuria
ICONS
I think I own too many games...
Nov 5, 2023 2:42 am
My list is increasing... I've gotten my hands on a (5e) campaign written for the furry convention I attended recently, (plus I have the physical lore book.) Idk if I'd be able to get people together for it, but it would be really fun...

Speaking of things I'm not sure anyone else would be into, I've been wanting to try My Roleplaying is Magic S4 for years! I know there's a Pathfinder setting for ponies, but RiM really focuses on hitting the tone and spirit of the 4th gen cartoon. The website appears to be shut down now, but it's on the Wayback Machine.

One I probably actually am gonna try to run is Oh Fuck, The Killer! A one page deal written by someone on Tumblr that's based on slasher movies and is about aggressively trying to screw each other over. Probably not gonna do it until sometime next year, but I do want to give it a go.

...Of course all the stuff I think sounds cool to run is weird and niche and probably has an extremely narrow range of appeal... So it goes...
Last edited November 5, 2023 2:42 am
Nov 5, 2023 2:57 am
Weird and niche can be a lot of fun. Never underestimate being able to find others that share that niche interest!
Nov 5, 2023 6:19 am
Quote:
One I probably actually am gonna try to run is Oh Fuck, The Killer! A one page deal written by someone on Tumblr that's based on slasher movies and is about aggressively trying to screw each other over. Probably not gonna do it until sometime next year, but I do want to give it a go.
I would definitely play in that. I'm actually currently playing in a game with a very similar premise to that.
Quote:
...Of course all the stuff I think sounds cool to run is weird and niche and probably has an extremely narrow range of appeal... So it goes...
Those are the best kind!
Nov 5, 2023 9:13 am
kalajel says:
@kalajel I would love to try out the possibilities that Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition presents.
Nov 5, 2023 1:23 pm
runekyndig says:
kalajel says:
@kalajel I would love to try out the possibilities that Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition presents.
Seconded!
Nov 6, 2023 1:29 am
@runekyndig and @WhiteDwarf Alright, I'll see what I can come up with.
Nov 6, 2023 1:52 am
A long term game.
That would take character from level 1 to 20+.
That if a player leaves we throw in another one and not worry about "continuation".
But most players are active. Posting a few times a week.
Everyone takes good notes and pay attentions.
Nov 6, 2023 4:55 am
I"m running an EZD6 game. Its my first time to play here at Gamer's Plane.
Nov 7, 2023 12:59 am
amymist says:

I’m with you there, lol.

I’ve just picked up the Basic Roleplay Game System book and that’s given me even more ideas.
Last edited November 7, 2023 1:01 am
Nov 7, 2023 6:44 am
Aegis says:

I’ve just picked up the Basic Roleplay Game System book and that’s given me even more ideas.
The new edition or the original? BRP is a good system for a wide range of games. BRP Star Trek is on my list to run at some point...
Last edited November 7, 2023 6:44 am
Nov 7, 2023 4:41 pm
witchdoctor says:
[quote="Aegis"]
The new edition or the original? BRP is a good system for a wide range of games. BRP Star Trek is on my list to run at some point...
I am working on a BRP Star Trek conversion myself! With some FASA skill list inspiration.
Nov 7, 2023 5:12 pm
Dreamweaver says:
witchdoctor says:

I am working on a BRP Star Trek conversion myself! With some FASA skill list inspiration.
That sounds awesome. Maybe we should compare notes sometime!
Nov 7, 2023 6:43 pm
Yeah. Love Star Trek!

The new edition. I didn’t have the old one, but my understanding is this is mostly a compilation of the old one and the errata and zines they put out. And streamlined.

It’s pretty cool though. Just trying to get a feel for it’s tone and what it does differently than anyone else. Definitely looking forward to running something with it.
Nov 8, 2023 3:58 am
I would run and play the following:

Running the game ? Cy_Borg (don't have the core rulebook just yet, but I'm VERY interested in this system), Shadowdark, and Vaults of Vaarn.

Playing? Those 3 but I’ll play almost anything
Last edited November 9, 2023 3:08 am
Dec 14, 2023 6:56 am
I'm very fond of the original Star Wars RPG (though I like the dice mechanics of Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny, too); it just plays really, really well, and I'm interested to try to see how well it would work in PbP.

I'm interested in trying to facilitate a game of Fiasco (one of my favorite one-shot games), though it requires a lot of RP and patience from players on PbP.

I think both Gamma World (1st or 2nd edition) and Paranoia (1st or 2nd edition) would be fun to run; Paranoia is nice because it is generally clearly bounded. You can't really do a campaign of Paranoia unless you have people running a sequential series of clone families...which doesn't really interest me, as it feels like squeezing a square peg into a round hole.

I've toyed with the idea of running The Taint here on GP; the difficulty here is in not knowing the players very well outside of the forums, and so not having a good sense of what powers would be particularly satisfying/enjoyable. I'd probably use random tables, though that likely isn't as fun.

I also started adapting the classic diceless 80s RPG, Space Seekers (yes, the source of my username), to diced play here on GP. I'd love to do that, though it might take a lot of explaining for everybody.

Right now, though, I'm trying to take it slow and not over-commit to running a bunch of games at once. But it is tempting when I'm in so many games that aren't posting as fast as I would like. My temptation is to think: "Nothing's happening right now, so I should run another game. Or maybe, since I can't decide on just one, I'll run TWO MORE GAMES!"

So far I'm reminding myself to be patient, and these lulls happen naturally, and that impatience will come back to bite me HARD if I give in to it. Therefore, I'm not going to start another game just yet...but that is the list I'm considering for when I do.
Dec 14, 2023 8:02 am
spaceseeker19 says:
I'm very fond of the original Star Wars RPG (though I like the dice mechanics of Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny, too); it just plays really, really well, and I'm interested to try to see how well it would work in PbP.
I have found it works really well in PBP as you can narrate your action after you have seen your roll. The GM just have to be upfront with the difficulty dices
Dec 14, 2023 10:22 am
@spaceseeker19 would love to try Fiasco on here...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.