Downloading threads

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 18, 2016 1:10 pm
Is there a way to download a thread? As someone who doesn't want to print out tons of stuff, if there was a way to download a game from the site as a .zip file, that would be kind of cool.

Any thoughts?
Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm
If a thread were to be downloaded, what format would you want it in?
Aug 18, 2016 2:23 pm
That's a good question. I would assume as a text document, but as long as it was possible to read back through the posts, and distinguish the threads, posts, and what not from each other. Mostly what I want to be able use this for is to develop notes for future games to see where I can refine things, or re-use NPCs, plot lines and all that kind of thing.

An .epub file is pretty small and can be converted easily enough. As long as the posts didn't have tons of images, I think it would work well.

What do you think would be best?
Aug 18, 2016 2:24 pm
You can always CNTRL+S each page. Some browsers (alright, only 1 that I know of right now: Safari) also allows you to save a web page as a pdf.
Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm
Doesn't Chrome have built in 'print to PDF' now?
Aug 18, 2016 3:32 pm
Yes, it does. Okay, 2 then.
Aug 18, 2016 3:33 pm
Keleth says:
Yeah, it sure does. Just tested it out. The only thing about it that you gotta watch out for is that you wanna make sure you're at the top of the thread you want to save or the floating header will be floating in the middle of the page
Aug 18, 2016 3:34 pm
Not sure. I'll have to check later. I know there's a quick way to create screen shots and save them to Google Drive.
Aug 18, 2016 3:42 pm
There was a request in the past to create a print-friendly version of a thread; I can move that back up in priority.
Aug 21, 2016 3:17 pm
Keleth says:
Hmm, you know, I wonder if there are more browsers who have implemented that function after all those years. I should probably do a quick test with Firefox and Opera (Not IE because seriously, who uses IE in this day and age? :P).
Aug 21, 2016 3:19 pm
Even if the browser doesn't have a native option, there are a number of good, free PDF Printers you can install and use. With one of those, anything you can print from your computer, you can create a PDF of it. Of the several I've tried over the years, I like PrimoPDF the best.

Edit to add link:
http://www.primopdf.com/
(ignore the NitroPDF stuff unless you want another PDF reader/editor)
Last edited August 21, 2016 3:21 pm
Aug 21, 2016 3:25 pm
Well, Opera does has an option to print in pdf as well. As for Firefox, I don't know. Starting it, it reminded me why I switched to Chrome as the damn thing fell over dead and pissed itself each time I tried starting it...
Aug 21, 2016 3:55 pm
I use Firefox and I don't see a native print to PDF option. I use FoxIt reader and it comes with a PDF printer that works very well for me.
Aug 21, 2016 4:45 pm
So maybe in the short term, my best option is to create a "print friendly" view, with all the posts in a thread, sans margins, most graphics, extras? In the long term, maybe I can look into fancier options.
Aug 21, 2016 7:42 pm
That would be a great in between!
Aug 21, 2016 9:20 pm
That'd be greatly appreciated keleth. Be kinda cool to print the forums off at the end
Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm
What's the status on this feature request? I was just thinking this morning how I've got four 40+ page threads I'd love to back up, if there was any way to export them (or change posts-per-page viewing options) to make it easier, that'd be fantastic
Aug 31, 2016 4:57 pm
Sorry, post-GenCon things have been going a bit slowly; been having some RL trouble/worries too. I haven't forgotten about this, and it will get done.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.