Case #1: Answer the Call

Aug 31, 2016 12:22 am
OOC:
First story post is below. It assumes first player to post is the first to arrive. Following posts should be assumed to have arrived after. The weather, drive, and sights applies to everyone. Feel free to detail the drive over or the time immediately following the phone call and leading up to coming here. I encourage you all to put your own creative input into the story
Sep 2, 2016 12:33 am
The drive through downtown Miami is always a traffic filled nightmare, made worse today by the ominous clouds hanging above the bay. The palm trees lining the streets have that characteristic bend indicative of high winds and the trash that inevitably finds itself on the streets only confirm the presence of the wind. You wouldn't even be out had Dr. Freidman not called you out of the blue. Each and everyone of you respected the man and would say you owe him your loyalty and friendship, for one reason or another. Despite this relationship the professor has been distant ever since his most recent paper had him branded a laughing stock in scientific circles. He left the University of Miami months ago and hasn't been seen or heard from since. As you reflect on the nature of this sudden and seemingly urgent summoning you are pulled back to the present by the sudden but typical tapping of raindrops upon your vehicle. As if out of no where the sky has grown dark, and water falls faster than your wipers can remove it. This make the drive even more stressful and uncomfortable and the deafening blasts of thunder and the indigo glow of lightning does not help ease your nerves. In time you make your way to a rather large gated home in the suburbs around the city. The gate opens as your vehicle approaches. You make your way up the long winding drive a come to a villa style home. It is of the typical Spanish style found in south Florida, stucco walls, Spanish tiles roof. The drive winds directly to the front door, a ceramic fountain of strange lovecraftian horrors seems to eye you suspiciously as you get out of your vehicle and into the rain. Seeing this reminds you of the professor's peculiar interests.
Sep 2, 2016 1:12 am
"Ugh... dammit, what is it?" James groans as he rolls out of bed, crawling over the the ringing phone in little more than a dirty white t-shirt and boxers, stepping over random wires laying around and exposed nails protruding from the poorly managed floorboards. He wipes the gunk off of his eyes before picking up the phone to answer it. "James Fishbach, what do ya want..." His eyes widen at the responding voice. "Uncle?!"

About half an hour later, he's showered, dressed, had a bagel sandwich for breakfast, and exits the dingy apartment to enter his rustbucket of a used VW van. Checking that his computer gear and 3DS are on him, he hits the road for Dr. Freidman's place. Geez, what's with the old man... I remember that he kicked out of that university, so now what does he want to do? Divide up the will early? As he wonders about the reasons for his uncle's urgent summoning, he snaps back to reality thanks to the sudden dark skies, pouring rain, and booming thunder. The hell?! I'm pretty sure the weatherman didn't predict this... He drives more cautiously.

Eventually, he makes it safely to his uncle's villa. Talk about a throwback... I haven't been there in years, he wonders as he pulls into the front, eyeing the fountain. What is that... Cthulhu? Azatoth? Nyarlathotep? Gotta brush up on my Lovecraft, I guess... He puts on the backpack and gets out of the car, closing the door before making a mad dash for shelter, knocking on the door. "Hey, Uncle? It's me, James! Open up!"
Sep 2, 2016 2:20 am
Much to James' surprise the door came open mid sentence just as his hand came away from the third knock; it was clear to anyone with half a brain that the approach was monitered. A quick scan of the area would confirm the cctv cameras around he property. More surprising perhaps than the rapid answering of the door was the answeree. James had expected his uncle or perhaps another member of the family but instead was met with a stunning young woman. The woman was fairly short but her height was boosted by a pair of heels. Her darker skin tone and wavy black hair made her latino origin obvious. She was stunnigly beautiful, wore a white shoulderless capulet and held her hair back with matching white flower clip. Gold hoop earrings brought attention to her beautiful face, which was vibrant with youth not too different from James. She held the door with one hand and rested the other hand upon the frame, the jingling of loose gold bracelets grabbed James' attention for a brief moment. Beyond her was a hallway, tables throughout it held strange sculptures and trinkets. Over her shouder one could see the dining hall beyond the foyer.
Sep 2, 2016 3:08 am
Well slap me in the face and call me a Chocobo, I gotta be dreaming. James' fist is still held up as if he was to knock again, but he awkwardly lowers his hand after a moment, disbelief clear in his features. "Oh... uh... hey. I... uh... yeeeeeah. Coming on- ack, I mean coming in!" Face beet red, he quickly enters the house, hands clenched in his pockets.

His gaze returns to the woman, desperately trying his best to not check her out, and after failing to establish eye contact, resigns himself to looking at the floor, adjusting his glasses. "So... um... who are you? All I knew about was that my uncle asked me to come here. I guess he asked some others or something? You sure as hell don't look like a relative." He briefly takes off his glasses to clean them, having been covered in water and condensation from the storm.
Sep 2, 2016 12:49 pm
The woman pushed herself away from the door frame to let James inside. She smiled flirtatiously, but James knew she was out of his league. As James turned back around to look at her she had her back to him as she closed the door. She turned slowly to look at him almost as if teasing him with her well formed body. If she caught him looking at her she either didn't mind or disregarded it.

With a noticeable Spanish accent and a soft voice she said, "You must be the professor's nephew, James. He hadn't mentioned you were so handsome."

The sincerity in the previous sentence was doubtful even without further scrutiny; James quickly realized this is how she is with all men whether interested or not.

"My name is Isabella Cortez, I was a grad student of your uncle. I find his study of paranormology fascinating and I hope to help him further his theories to the field.

Her accent comes of somewhat sultry, with her pronunciation of her name sounding more like Eesabeala.
OOC:
Give me a brains roll, no talent, see the mechanics thread for information on how to.
Sep 2, 2016 12:56 pm
OOC:
Rolling.

Rolls

Brains roll (sans Ghost Die) - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Ghost Die - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Sep 2, 2016 1:02 pm
OOC:
You recall the name "Bella". The professor has mentioned and spoke quite highly of Bella in the past. She is very intelligent and fully committed to the things your uncle believes in.
Sep 2, 2016 1:05 pm
Derrick's truck tires sent a spray of water as he made his way through Miami traffic. He had seen the professor's lab five days a week for years, but never the man's house. It was a shame about what happened to the man. He seemed nice enough to Derrick. But that was the way of the academics. They squabble over things that don't really matter and in the end someone gets passed over for tenure, sees themselves teaching fewer classes, their office moved to right next to the boiler room, or even kicked out all together.

As the gate to the home lifted, Derrick marveled at the property and the house that stood at the end of his headlights. Damn, Derrick thought, I knew the university paid their professors well, but never knew it was THIS well. Derrick pulled behind a beat up hippy van. Without even realizing it, his tongue makes a several tsking sounds in disapproval. That thing needs some work. Pulling his work vest over his head, Derrick makes for the door and knocks twice.
Last edited September 2, 2016 1:06 pm
Sep 2, 2016 1:24 pm
Before James could respond to her introduction, Isabella walked past him and toward the dining hall. Before she could reach it Derrick's knock sounded at the door. Isabella glanced at James before spinning on her heel to head back to the door.

"It would seem another guest has arrived. The professor will be pleased to see his guests are so prompt. He was very intolerate of tardy students."

Isabella walked past James making sure to deliberately brush past him; it wasn't the hostile brush a jock might give a nerd, but a very flirtatious gesture. She walked back to the door and opened it once again.

"Welcome Mr. Parker, its good to see you, please come out of the dreadful weather"
OOC:
Derrick is somewhat familiar with Isabella because her and the professor frequently stayed late at the lab while Derrick would do maintenance.
Sep 2, 2016 1:35 pm
The lyrics of a certain song go through James' head as Isabella brushes past him. Oh-oh here she comes, she's a maneater...

Ignoring the brush, he glances over at this "Mr. Parker" and mutters to himself. "Another guy? Geez, Uncle's gonna invite the whole neighborhood at this rate." He then steps forward a bit to introduce himself. "I don't think I know you... James Fishbach, by the way. The Prof's nephew. I guess he called you here too?" He reluctantly holds out a hand to shake.
Sep 2, 2016 2:37 pm
Derrick hoped he did not blush too much when Isabella opened the door. He hadn't expected to see her here too. She was.... well the words OUT OF MY LEAGUE came to mind. Still a man could dream. "Oh... well hi Ms. Cortez. Dr. Freidman did not say you would be here." He quickly took a step out of the rain and wiped his damp boots on the rug.

Turning to the other man in the room Derrick took the offered hand and shook firmly, but not hard. "Yeah he did. Derrick by the way. My name I mean. Derrick. Derrick looked at Isabella and asked, "So what is going on? Water heater? Don't tell me its a leaky roof, 'cuz we will just have to tarp her real quick until this rain passes."
Sep 2, 2016 3:21 pm
Isabella stepped gracefully to the side as Derrick entered. As with James, she seemed content with herself at Derrick's nervousness and surprise. As Derrick wiped his feet she closed the door and turned back to the two men. As Derrick was introducing himself to James she said, "I am staying with Dr. Freidman for a while. We just could not give up on the work we were doing at the University. As to repairs this is not a maintenance call, though if I recall the sink in the kitchen has been dripping. Tonight the professor would like to ask for some help relating to our research, we will discuss it over dinner."
Sep 2, 2016 3:57 pm
Derrick made a mental note to fix the sink before he left. If he did not and remembered later it would bother him until he knew it had been fixed. Still, what would Dr. Freidman want his help for in regards to his research? Derrick was decent with machines, but some of the stuff Dr. Freidman mucked about with... well Derrick was not always sure what all those lights and wires were meant to do. He eyed the kid, No not a kid, just young and scrawny Derrick reminded himself. Derrick raised an eyebrow and adopted a quizzical look, hoping that James would know more.
Sep 2, 2016 6:09 pm
James crosses his arms and glances at the two others in the room. "So you want our help with your paranormal stuff? Uh, no offense, but I'm no authority on it, and I'll go out on a limb and guess Derrick doesn't know much either. Or are you hiring us as guinea pigs or something?"
Last edited September 2, 2016 6:10 pm
Sep 2, 2016 6:27 pm
Isabella's lips curled upward into a smile. She walked past James and Derrick and started making her way toward the dining hall again. As she walked she turned her head back just enough to speak over her shoulder, "Your uncle said you might not be too interested. Said you would rather stay at home and play childish games, but he did also mention something about sharing the wealth and credit this discovery could bring. Go home then if you do not want to help, we don't need a gaming expert anyway." Isabella continued down the hall not awaiting a response only assuming both men would follow.
Sep 2, 2016 6:55 pm
James and Derrick are both led down the hallway that seems to divide the house in half. From the foyer the hall leads directly into a dining room. Two doors line the hallway on each side, most of them are closed but the last door on the left seems to lead into a study of sorts. The door to the study is only partially ajar, on a mahogany desk lies a stack of books and papers as well as a sculpture of sorts. Hanging between two windows on the far wall is a surreal painting of some alien landscape. The walls you can see are lined with shelves each densly packed with books, some seemingly ancient. The walls of the hallway are decorated with similar such works of art.

The end of the hall opens directly into the dining room. The room is large, furnished with a handcarved wooden table and matching chairs. Above the table hangs a wrought iron chandalier with faux candles sporting led bulbs. Not far from the table and encased in glass is a contemporary metal fireplace and stainless steel fume hood, one would guess it is gas fueled. On the opposing side is a sitting area with leather couches, a large 3d tv, and a few smaller bookcases. The center of the far wall, opposite where one enters, is a glass section of wall overlooking a rather exquisite patio and in ground pool. The professor is not present in the room nor is anyone else.
Sep 2, 2016 7:08 pm
Derrick whistles out loud. "Wow. This is some getup the Dr. has. I have to admit I always pictured him the type to have real candles and an actual log on the fire. But this is nice as long as you pay the electric bill."
Sep 2, 2016 9:10 pm
James only decides to follow once Isabella mentions money and fame.

"It's been a while since I've been in this place... looks like he decided to change things up a bit since last time." He shrugs and takes a seat on a couch for the time being. "It'll probably be a while until Uncle gets here, so might as well kill some time." He takes out a laptop, boots it up, and begins typing on it and browsing the Internet while occasionally munching on a Cheeto.
Last edited September 2, 2016 9:10 pm
Sep 3, 2016 3:18 pm
Isabella watched James as he walked over to the sofa, before returning her attention to Derrick. Her voice was filled with obvious enthrallment when she spoke about the professor, "Dr. Freidman does well for himself, better than you would think for a university professor. This house actually belonged to his father, Jack Freidman. Jack was a world renowned adventurer and explorer. The discoveries he made and royalties from books he had written allowed him to have this villa built, which Dr. Freidman and his younger sister now own. His sister lives with her husband, but still technically shares ownership of this house. A successful career with NASA and wise playing of stocks and investments allow Dr. Freidman to maintain this home. The estate also still receives royalties from his father's works. Working at the University of Miami was merely to keep busy after retirement. Anyway for now please make yourself comfortable." Isabella glared over toward James as she said, "A certain somebody already has."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.