Pokemon experts needed! Any one wishing to help?

Jan 26, 2024 11:00 am
Hi all! The case is quite simple: I started to play improvisational game of Genesys RPG with my two sons, where they play as pokemons (for now first evolutions of Lucario and Greninja - I forgot how they are called... lol...). And they seem to have a lot of fun. We managed to make PC for them using a mix of Genesys and Terrinoth rules/careers. For now they are in "different dimension" that is basically a fantasy world - because I have some ideas about that:)

You see the problem is I have very little knowledge about pokemon's world and lore, even though I have watched some episodes of cartoons as a child(long time ago) AND I would like to introduce some pokemons species into our game. But I don't have time to study all of 1000+ pokemons to make their appearance "thematic" in our game, for my sons. Also I want to introduce some structure into our play, and convert or work on some classic DnD modules to our game. Mainly I was thinking about Black Wyrm of Brandonsford or Winter's Daughter.

So the question is: is anyone wishing to play a little game with me? The rules are simple:
- I provide you a classic mob/monster description/name and it purpose in my adventure from fantasy modules/tropes, and you tell me what kind of pokemon will be the best fit for the role. What I expect is just the name of the species and one sentence(can be more) of reasoning for choosing this one.

The game is intended to those that think it will be fun to them, as my very limited time schedule will not allow me to return the favor in the near future... :( But maybe... if there will be interest for that and I will have some time(read: my other games here will end for some reason), I will do a short one-shot adventure using my ideas for the most active participants.

PS. Have you ever played a ttRPG pokemon game? What rules system have you used in it? I found 2 quite interesting, but will stick to Genesys, as it is one of the systems I chose for my "focus" for the near future.

PS2. Do you know any good, ready pokemon adventure modules I could use? Can be paid. System is irrelevant, but the module has to use official pokemon names/spicies (as I don't want to spend time on trying to guess what is this "pocket monster" equivelant in official pokemon lore/word.
Last edited January 26, 2024 11:01 am
Jan 26, 2024 11:13 am
I'll be happy to assist by playing associations! :D (Totally not going to be biased and just offer my favourites for everything.)

Also, I tried to play Pokerole here on GP - it's a fan-made TTRPG, relatively easy, but kind of crunchy. Neither of my attempts existed for long enough to really see if it works well in all of its aspects, but battles were fun (at least for me), if a little hard to manage because of reactions within the same turn. And they even have a special ruleset for the Mystery Dungeon, when players play not as a trainers but as Pokémon (like in your game).
Jan 26, 2024 11:25 am
FlyingSucculent says:
I'll be happy to assist by playing associations! :D (Totally not going to be biased and just offer my favourites for everything.)
"Ladies, gentlemen and pokemons! We seem to have a real Pokemon Fan on the stage!" - and thats very good in my book:)

I should probably stated that I have Pokerole in my "to read" folder. Yes indeed it is one of those I checked that looked certainly promising! The best iteration of "pokemon RPG" I have found so far for me is: Pokémon Odyssey Tabletop RPG as it seems easy enough to play and have interesting battles, but by moving additional crunchiness to pokemon "moves", but making them more like PbtA moves, then traditional moves from games. But sadly it looks somehow unfinished with very limited pokemon database and I think the last actualization of it was in 2019:( But it is the one system I would consider moving into from Genesys if it would have more pokemons stat'ed :)

Thanks a lot for expressing your interest! First mobs/monster to be transformed into pokemon will be coming your way in following days!
Jan 26, 2024 11:32 am
Not to let you cool down:

Naggeneen, the Clurichaun
AC: 4 (15), HD: 1d4 hp, SV: D1, Attacks: None, ML: 8
Special: Naggeneen can turn invisible, create illusions, and fly at will but loses his powers when he is captured.

The guy is sneaking into inn cellars each night to drink some alkohol (of course I will change it for my sons... lol...;) ), the players will have to find him and catch. In exchange for some freedom he will offer some treasure for players.
Jan 26, 2024 12:30 pm
I might need to check Odyssey, it sound like fun! Maybe someone will even be willing to run it or Pokerole here someday, wink-wink. >:D

And Naggeneen sounds like a Ghost or Dark type to me! Or maybe a Fairy? So off the top of my head, may I offer for your consideration...

Sinistea. It is a small ghost living inside an antique teacup; it can fly, has a reason to be in a cellar or a kitchen (although perhaps not necessarily for drinking) and can have moves like Withdraw, Confuse Ray, Phantom Force, Poltergeist, Trick Room, Substitute - all good for avoiding and confusing opponents. Also they're cute, which is always a bonus. :D

Ribombee. These are bee faeries, so it would make sense for them to be attracted to honey or juice stored in a cellar, and as Fairy types they do have plenty of tricky abilities as well. They're also friendly, and would fit the setting if the inn is somewhere in a forest or near meadows. Not too sure about them having treasure, but they do canonically offer pollen puffs to others?

Misdreavus. Prankster ghosts - they like startling others, and are absolutely the kind to hide in the cellar to spook the innkeeper and their patrons whenever anyone goes to fetch a bottle. Also, they have the whole arsenal of being a flyer, creating illusions and disappearing, with plenty of magical abilities. They're also quite a well-known and popular Pokemon, I believe!

Sinistea and Misdreavus are both first stage evolutions, so they should work well with your PCs thematically. Ribombee is an evolved form, but their earlier evolution doesn't seem the type to sneak into buildings.
Jan 26, 2024 3:43 pm
There is also Pokemon journeys, but it is alpha at best. https://pokemontabletop.com/pokemon-journeys-winter-playtest/

Under active development though.

Other games that could probably handle pokemon stuff would be OVA or Valor as they both have rules for companions and are quite flexible (in different directions).
Jan 29, 2024 3:37 am
For your naggeneen you could use munchlax. It is usually food fixated but you could shift that to alcohol.
Feb 14, 2024 11:15 am
Thanks for all suggestion, I will answer them later, but for now I wanted to post my Interest Check post link here:
IC Pokemon game

You do not have permission to post in this thread.