Recruiting: Bleach (anime/manga) Game using Cortex

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenCortex PrimePublic2 / weekFeirgon
It has been nearly 200 years since Master Yamamoto struck down Yhwach (roughly 800 years before Ichigo is born) and life in the Soul Society has returned to normalcy. You are a recent graduate of the Spiritual Arts Academy due to being rather excellent in one of the four Zankensoki (Hakuda - unarmed fighting, Zenjutsu - sword fighting, Hohou - speed and agility, and Kidou - magic) and will soon be assigned to one of the Gotei 13. Luckily, it looks as if a few of your friends from the academy will be assigned to the same squad.

Unbeknownst to many, the Soul Society will once again enter a state of upheaval. With the combined loss of the Lichtriech and the Seiretei rebuilding from Yhwach's failed invasion, the Hollows have had the opportunity to grow unfettered. It is in light of these events that the Great Hollow Invasion will come to be.
I am looking for 2-6 people interested in playing as a rather uninspiring Shinigami that, when thrust into the front of the Hollow Invasion War, will experience amazing growth and (hopefully) become heroes! The system that we will be using is Cortex: Cortex Primer. I am fully committed to assisting anyone with understanding how the system works, so feel free to join even if you do not have any experience or any materials for the system. The game will be very much be focused on the power growth of your character, specifically with regards to your Zanpakuto. Expect to achieve Shikai and Bankai with this character.

I expect all participants to post 2-3 times a week. However, I know real Real Life can be, so just let everyone know in the OOC thread if you need to adjust your personal expectations.

I plan on keeping the recruitment open for a week or two.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Apr 14, 2024 4:49 pm
I've had a game idea for Bleach in my head for quite some time and now I want to see if anyone is interested in it.

The main premise is that you all start as a Shinigami who just recently discovered their Zanpakuto's name and got assigned to one of the 13 court guard squads. You're team will then be assigned to a combat role as the Seiretei goes into a war against The Great Hollow Invasion (I'm imagining this will be set sometime around 200-400 years after the start of the TYBW). Due to some mysterious event, your team will begin to experience accelerated Zanpakuto growth. You will all discover Shikai and even possibly Bankai in a very short time period.

We will need to discuss a few things as a group before we start, such as which division you all will join, whether this is in the same timeline as the anime/manga or a parallel one, and what system we are using (I have spent time working this setting into Cortex, but I worry that too few enjoy or are familiar with the system, so I am open to trying some other system).

There is one more thing. I will be using generative AI to help with Zanpakuto naming and powers. I have been training ChatGPT to process themes into fully fleshed Zanpakuto. I understand this may be a nonstarter for some, so I just want everyone to be aware of this up front.
Last edited April 27, 2024 3:21 pm
Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm
Holy daddy Genryusai, I don't think I've ever seen a Bleach game here before. :0 I'd be all over this if not for the AI and inability to get the system book. Good luck with it, though! :D
Apr 14, 2024 6:17 pm
I'm interested but I'm not sure about the AI and I've never played the system before, kinda like FlyingSucculent.
Apr 14, 2024 6:31 pm
I'm pretty ambivelant about the AI aspect. As long as the GM can override and tinker with anything that is horribly unbalanced or just doesn't make sense you should be ok.

The system... I feel your concerns there will be valid. I don't see Cortex games pop up too often. Have you considered BESM as an alternative? It should handle anything you would want to do.

Not sure what other systems might fit, off the top of my head.
Apr 14, 2024 6:34 pm
Yeah, BESM would be my first choice. FU would also work without too much need for tweaking, or else some of the more open system games.
Apr 14, 2024 7:41 pm
How about the FATE system? I am a Bleach fanboi but right now I have my plate full with pbp games. I'd like to see the sessions, if you want to have them public.
Apr 15, 2024 12:49 am
Bleach used to be my favorite anime during my student years. I am interested, but I know none of the systems mentioned so far, except FATE which I wasn't too impressed with.
Apr 15, 2024 1:37 am
Regarding the system, I like Cortex because it is a much more narrative focused system. I tend to lean toward rules lite systems for PbP gaming. Also, it's really easy to get into and I can walk anyone through the rules relatively easily. Other ideas I had are Cypher, PDQ, and Risus.

With regards to BESM and FU, I would probably go for FU, but I would need to take some time to read the rules and learn the system as I haven't actually read it >_<.

Finally, AI will not be making any decisions. It is only a tool for coming up with thematically rounded Zanpakuto names, general powers, and what the forms Shikai and Bankai might take. This is to supplement what people want or hope to see from their Zanpakuto not to override.
Apr 15, 2024 1:46 am
It's mildly amusing to me that the system designed for anime/manga settings is the one you're least interested in using. 🤣🤣
Apr 15, 2024 1:49 am
MaJunior says:
It's mildly amusing to me that the system designed for anime/manga settings is the one you're least interested in using. 🤣🤣
I own FU, but I do see how that shouldn't really be a limiting factor. But, like, I also don't need more RPG books....do I?
Apr 15, 2024 2:23 am
Lol Nah run whatever you're comfortable with. It's just amusing.

For perspective, this is far from the first time I've seen people wanting to run anime or manga based games, but will use any system except one designed to run anime/manga. I've watched people try to almost rewrite the whole system to adapt D&D 5E for a Naruto game. Even saw someone try to run a Hellsing game using OWoD mechanics. So much work. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't usually try to make more work for myself. DMing can be hard enough. 🤣

As for more books... we always need more books. Books and dice. Them's the rules!
Apr 15, 2024 2:30 am
As someone who doesn't know Bleach at all and is therefore not interested in this game, Cortex is a pretty solid and not too complicated system (unless you're the GM having to build your game using the Cortex Prime book).
Apr 15, 2024 3:13 am
bowlofspinach says:
As someone who doesn't know Bleach at all and is therefore not interested in this game, Cortex is a pretty solid and not too complicated system (unless you're the GM having to build your game using the Cortex Prime book).
Exactly! All the legwork is on the GM. Also, I have already mapped out the format for these characters in Cortex Prime ^_^

The core conceit with Cortex is roll a dice pool and add the two highest results. I like it because you can make amazingly large dicepools to make your character feel powerful, but not have to deal with the minutia of dealing with each and every single dice rolled.

However, I am not going to hold the game's success to the fire of Cortex if people are turned off by that, so let me know if you are interested and what systems would hold your interest and which systems would turn you off.
Apr 15, 2024 6:06 am
Well, if you are missing a player, send me a PM. I am always interested in RPGs and especially a Bleach themed.
Apr 15, 2024 6:23 am
Feirgon says:
Finally, AI will not be making any decisions. It is only a tool for coming up with thematically rounded Zanpakuto names, general powers, and what the forms Shikai and Bankai might take. This is to supplement what people want or hope to see from their Zanpakuto not to override.
See this was the issue I had, I’d be more okay with AI for NPC zanpakuto but even as a supplement I take issue with having AI in the player creative journey. I’d rather design and name my zanpakuto myself, you know?
Apr 15, 2024 7:49 am
My experience on Cortex. As a GM the learning curve was about 20-30 hrs of reading, looking at forums, asking questions on discord and experimenting.

For the players, wasn't much investment if as the GM i wrote for them everything they need to roll post by post and eventually they get it. I also wrote a lot of basic rules in our discord channel to help with the mechanic that you can copy if you'd like.
Apr 15, 2024 8:45 am
I have also found Cortex to be too focused on the mechanics and the dice and not enough on the fiction. The cool stuff about that system —that made so engaging to read— is the dice, and they end up being what they players think about, overpowering the story unless things go perfectly. :(
Apr 15, 2024 8:47 am
OOC:
I have also found Cortex to be too focused on the mechanics and the dice and not enough on the fiction
To be honest, i'm surprise by the statement. Cortex is a lot about focusing only on the fiction/story and not much on the mechanics like a pathfinder system or other "simulator". But maybe i'm missing something.

For sure if the cortex GM ask for test check/confrontation on everything you trying to do... that doesn't work well, it's not supposed to be in Cortex games as far i understand.
Last edited April 15, 2024 8:50 am
Apr 15, 2024 9:28 am
It is not about the amount or frequency, but about where the focus is, I found people focused on the dice and their cool meaning rather than the meaning of the story in that moment. It does not have to be that way, but the sheer coolness and richness of the dice tended to overshadow things, games became about the dice rather than about the story. When the GM is setting up the game they also tend to think in terms of dice rather than pure story elements, in other games they may never think about dice at all.

But this is probably not the place to discuss this. :)
Apr 15, 2024 11:06 am
I see your point.

Well regardless of the system, many players may fall into this. :)

Enjoy the game. I liked BLEACH manga as a kid.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.