Call of Cthulhu: What Lies Between

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenCall of Cthulhu (Chaosium, 7e)Private1 / dayEdmund_Balworth
A cramped conference room in an otherwise luxurious hotel. The smell of body odor hangs heavy and seems to coexist with overpowering perfumes rather than be replaced by them. You sit on a plastic chair that is uncomfortable and too close to those sitting around you. As you subtly shift away from each of your neighbors, the lights go down and the film projector, an actual film projector, begins speeding up putting a countdown on the projector screen. The film starts and a man sits on a stool in front of white crafted archway. Both are backdropped by a simple black fabric, forcing you to focus on only the man and the arch. The man wears large sunglasses and a well tailored white suit. His hair and beard are neat, trim and his frame denotes one who is physically fit. A minute at least passes as the man sits with a contented grin on his face. Abruptly he inhales deeply and begins to talk.

"You are here for different reasons. Just as grains of sand on a beach, we each are different. Different motivations, different experiences and different perspectives. But each of us is here striving for something. That search is what unites us. Gives our individual efforts a new light, something... extra. I want nothing more than you all to get what you are looking for, if only to see that what you are looking for is not IT. Something I've discovered through years of taking in complicated experiences, complicated relationships and complicated practices is a new way. A way that shows the path to TRUE happiness."

The man paused for another long silence. The silence was almost tangible coming off the screen and permeating the crowd of people gathered in the conference room. As the silence stretched, a cough here, a fidget there disturbed the room. Just as you began to feel a nervous energy brought on by the oppressive silence, the man breathed again deeply and continued.

"When I was younger I studied under all major forms of religion and social practice. I approached each one eager to learn the next thing that would finally make my life right, make my life... good. My mind was like an apartment, and each new practice was a new piece of furniture, some of the finest pieces imaginable mind you. I collected them hoping somehow I would be able to better navigate the apartment to the door of happiness. It was then that I had a true epiphany. I had filled my mind with... clutter. Distractions that ultimately prevented me from getting where I was... to where I wanted to be. That's when I began the process of cleaning out the apartment of my mind. Clearing away all the distractions and systematically becoming empty. And when my apartment was finally empty... I found it. Silence and... true happiness."

The man on the film stood and moved to stand next to the archway as he continued. "Now I stand here... at the threshold of happiness, and I hold a hand out to those behind. To help you find your happiness too. But like in everything, we must crawl before we walk, walk before we run and run before we soar. Waiting here, I am so excited to help you on this journey and to see what heights you will soar to."

____

You are a member of the Church of Sunyata. A religious organization centered around the famed works of Ralph Chandler. This organization's use of Zen practices, Buddhism, biofeedback and science has taken Hollywood by storm. The organization has won the reputation of a place anyone can go to jumpstart or revive their careers. Whether you are a believer or not, the Church embraces you and helps and guides you ultimately preaching detachment and asceticism.

This scenario is a modern day Call of Cthulhu 7e one-shot.

Discord: I will have a discord for the game where most OOC talk will likely take place and serves as a way to get notifications when there are new posts in the game.

Apr 24, 2024 8:50 pm
CHARACTER GENERATION INFO
This is a horror story. As such, I ask my players to pretend they are characters in a horror movie. What kind of horror movie would you get if the protagonist didn't go into the dark basement littered with cobwebs? To this end, I've found using pre-generated characters the best way to allow players to be detached from their character's well being.

I also like to play above board to keep everyone engaged. This means at times players will know things their characters will not. Players are expected to tailor their actions to what their characters know.

The pre-generated characters available are:

Spencer Shull - Age 41, Fixer for the Church
Julia Cortese - Age 26, Dedicated Personal Assistant
Amanda Stennett - Age 29, Undercover Journalist Posing as Production Assistant
Blake Tevis - Age 47, Public Relations for the Church and Producer
David Otera - Age 29, Film Star Under Suspicion
Daria Nowland - Age 38, Frustrated Producer
Last edited April 24, 2024 8:53 pm
Apr 24, 2024 9:34 pm
Very interested. Love the set up for this. Choices in order: Amanda, Julia, David
Last edited April 24, 2024 9:36 pm
Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am
This sounds like fun! I shouldn’t have a problem posting once a day, but I don’t have internet access till the evening (EST) due to work. I know some people find that frustrating so no worries if it would be an issue.

My choices would be: Spencer, Blake, Amanda
Apr 25, 2024 2:24 am
Hey there. I’m interested in playing if there’s still an opening. I’m interested in playing David or Julia, but I’d be happy with anyone.
Apr 25, 2024 2:32 pm
Glad to have you all. Game and discord invites incoming.
Apr 25, 2024 2:45 pm
I can take on one more game I believe. I'm in, if you'll have me. You know Larry from the other game, I'm never afraid to go into the dark cellar to shake hands with a god!
Apr 25, 2024 2:45 pm
Characters remaining:

Julia Cortese - Age 26, Dedicated Personal Assistant
Blake Tevis - Age 47, Public Relations for the Church and Producer
Daria Nowland - Age 38, Frustrated Producer
Apr 25, 2024 2:53 pm
lunitar says:
I can take on one more game I believe. I'm in, if you'll have me. You know Larry from the other game, I'm never afraid to go into the dark cellar to shake hands with a god!
Sounds good, Lunitar! Any specific character you were thinking of?
May 2, 2024 3:48 pm
Hi there, I'd be interested in this game is there is still an opening? Of the three remaining characters my preferences are;
1) Daria
2) Julia
3) Blake

You do not have permission to post in this thread.