Apologies and updates

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 25, 2015 10:22 pm
I want to start out by apologizing for last Friday's update. I was going to my first gamecon (Dreamation), and I was gung-ho on talking to people about Gamers' Plane. I figured I had the forum update nearly done, I had been testing it, and so I pushed till 2AM coding. I'm glad I took my laptop with me to the convention, and we got the major bugs knocked out in the first day, with a few minor ones lingering. I was able to knock out more than a few bugs and missing features over the last few days as well. I really have to apologize to everyone for all the trouble over the weekend, and a big thanks to everyone who stuck through and put in bug reports. I know it was a rough weekend, and hopefully we're better off for it.

One thing I realized through all the bug reports and tweets is how often I end up putting in features and never mentioning them. I donno if its a good thing or bad. My only goal is to make the site better for you guys, and sometimes I just prefer to see if you guys notice/point out certain things, to see if they're actually used or not. And if you don't mention it, and it just starts working, that's great too. But I guess a few things are worth pointing out:

- A few weeks back, I added a few referral links you guys can use to help me earn some money and support the site. Of course, I made a mistake and it was only visible to me, but if you look at the bottom right of the site, you'll see an Amazon referral link and Drive Thru RPG referral link, as well as a PayPal donations link. If you like the DriveThruStuff, that links will work for any of their sites.
- I've made it so you can now hide public game forums if you want. If you go to the forums home page and scroll down to the list of game forums, you'll see a toggle switch above title. You can flip it to show/hide public games everywhere.
- You can now sticky a thread (if you have the permissions) when you're creating it.
- There are forum breadcrumbs in more places, making it easier to maneuver around the forums.

There's a lot more, I'm sure, I just don't quite remember them all. I'm always tweaking the site, and most days have a minor tweak if not a new feature.

I'm hoping everyone's enjoying Gamers' Plane. I'm doing my best to make a fun, playable RPG play-by-post site, while it has bugs, I hope thing so crazy its detouring you from the site. If it is, I'd ask you tell me what it is that's set you off as you leave; I'm hoping I can continue to improve. If you're sticking through, I'm hoping the site is continuing to improve in a direction you like. And if its not, please let me know there too, though there's a decent chance I'll ignore that :D
Feb 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Looks like everything is back and better than ever.

Appreciate the effort you put into the site, it's quickly becoming one of my favorites to visit and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.
Feb 26, 2015 2:28 am
You rock. Keep on keeping on.
Feb 26, 2015 3:15 am
Luving the venue for the game I am running and your responsiveness.
Feb 26, 2015 4:35 am
Keleth -- you need a day off :P
Feb 26, 2015 4:40 am
Day... off... I don't understand what that means.
Feb 26, 2015 4:58 am
I'm impressed with your responsiveness. Sorry I've been a pain in the ass. Love the site.
Feb 26, 2015 5:00 am
Pain in the ass? Hardly Merlin! You've been pointing out bugs, bugs that need fixing!
Feb 26, 2015 5:27 am
Keleth says:
Day... off... I don't understand what that means.
that means you need some moderators who can take a load off your back for you Keleth!
Feb 26, 2015 5:36 am
Heh, moderation isn't an issue right now :p Its coding! Need moar time for coding!

You guys are awesomely active, and I'm getting a steady 2-3 signups a day. Just gotta spread the word a bit more in more places.
Feb 26, 2015 6:42 am
that is something your members and such can do as well. make it a contest :P
Feb 26, 2015 4:11 pm
Not sure what I'd give away as a contest... GP isn't currently really making any money, heh.
Feb 26, 2015 4:25 pm
Put some targeted ads on each page?
Feb 26, 2015 4:38 pm
I've been avoiding putting ads on the site in general; I've been a webdev long enough to know how annoying ads are, both as a user and a developer. Its why I put up referral links, so if someone is doing what they're already doing, I can earn a bit too.

At some point, I intend to create a system that will offer direct links to products for the particular game you're in. I guess that's targeted ads, but I'll probably add an option to shut them off for a donation as well.
Feb 26, 2015 6:40 pm
It's a very good site Keleth. I play on Myth Weavers as well and like a lot of the things you have set up much more. Your site is certainly cleaner and easier to navigate in many ways.

A home page for each GM would be nice so we would not need to search through the forums to find my game. My brother does programming so I know all too well how time consuming this process is! I love using the site as is but I thought I'd offer a suggestion in case you still need some! ;-)
Feb 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Keleth says:
I've been avoiding putting ads on the site in general; I've been a webdev long enough to know how annoying ads are, both as a user and a developer. Its why I put up referral links, so if someone is doing what they're already doing, I can earn a bit too.

At some point, I intend to create a system that will offer direct links to products for the particular game you're in. I guess that's targeted ads, but I'll probably add an option to shut them off for a donation as well.
I hear you and agree. But unlike most targeted advertising you already know what game is played, and can easily display products without spying on content like Google does. To me, that's the definition of unobtrusive.
Feb 26, 2015 6:43 pm
Arjen says:
It's a very good site Keleth. I play on Myth Weavers as well and like a lot of the things you have set up much more. Your site is certainly cleaner and easier to navigate in many ways.

A home page for each GM would be nice so we would not need to search through the forums to find my game. My brother does programming so I know all too well how time consuming this process is! I love using the site as is but I thought I'd offer a suggestion in case you still need some! ;-)
I always want more feedback! Its feedback that'll make this site grow and improve. As for searching through the forums, the ability to hide public games should help there. I can probably tweak the Games page so there is a direct link to the forums for the game.
Feb 26, 2015 8:52 pm
Keleth says:
I can probably tweak the Games page so there is a direct link to the forums for the game.
this.

Also, thank you for making it so when you click on a thread it brings you to the last read not the first :)
Feb 27, 2015 1:48 am
Nothing's on fire (anymore). I think we're good.
Feb 27, 2015 4:12 am
Is this where we post suggestions. Can we receive notifications when we get a Personal Message?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.