Server upgrades

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 15, 2016 4:50 am
So with some planned upcoming features and the recent spike in new users and games (which I'm not complaining about at all!), looks like we're reaching a safe limit on the current server. I'm currently on a host called Digital Ocean. I'm considering a different host, which would reduce costs, but I'm gonna have to find someone who can help me figure out moving sites between hosts, and probably involve a few days of downtime. Otherwise, I can update on the current host, but the costs will be higher. I think for where GP is right now, and the current growth rate, switching to Linode would be most cost effective, but I know you guys don't wanna be without your PbP. And the whole, I don't really know how to transfer sites part of it.

As always, if you're enjoying the site, do consider using the referral links on the bottom right of every page, or if you can afford it, donate directly with the PayPal link.
Oct 15, 2016 8:19 am
While I can only speak for myself I'm sure the majority, if not everybody, would be more than okay with a few off days of GP. Especially if it means saving you some money. I wish I could donate , as I enjoy the site very much, hopefully a 'Thank You' suffices for now. Thank you for all you do with the site, it has a great community, allowed me to experience D&D, and introduced me to so many other games that seem interesting.
Oct 15, 2016 3:27 pm
if i have to choose to get the site down a bit, then transfer and keep the costs for you low, or keep it up but gets you a higher bill then well i will have to stay away from my PbP crack for a couple of days, do what you think is best. but same as hypco says above here, i think everyone would agree that we can do a few days without GP
Oct 15, 2016 3:29 pm
Always, if you can't donate, your support and telling others about the site is plenty! If you do decide to use one of the services I have a referral link through, I appreciate if you use mine, and if not, no big deal!
Oct 15, 2016 3:51 pm
I'm on board with your server move, even if it means downtime. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the technical side of executing such a transfer.
Oct 15, 2016 9:41 pm
I'll echo the sentiment. A couple days down is a small price to pay for setting the site up for a better long term future.
Oct 16, 2016 12:04 am
I've moved sites from one server to the other before...it's not a terribly difficult process, depending on your host.

Here are the migration instructions for Linode, though I'm pretty sure you've already looked at all of that :)
Oct 16, 2016 12:07 am
Do what you gotta do man. This is a Great site. Just gave you a donation right now since i dont need anymore dice. :-)
Oct 16, 2016 12:34 am
Kjmagle says:
Do what you gotta do man. This is a Great site. Just gave you a donation right now since i dont need anymore dice. :-)
Lies! You can never have enough dice.
Oct 16, 2016 4:49 pm
Few days of downtime doesn't sound too bad if we knew about it before hand.
Last edited October 16, 2016 4:49 pm
Oct 16, 2016 5:42 pm
I disagree. Blindside us, take us by surprise. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth

You do not have permission to post in this thread.