Has anyone bought an SSL cert before?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 21, 2016 7:06 pm
This has come up before, but GP is in need to more security in the way of a/multi-domain SSL certificates. Has anyone gotten an SSL certificate before and have recommendations on a company? Things to looks for/avoid? Or if you know anyone with webdev experience who may be able to help me out? The biggest concern is they're kinda expensive from what I've seen, $150+ a year.
Nov 21, 2016 8:08 pm
I have to get them for work, I'm an IT Manager for a local non-profit over here, I've never really had to use them for securing sites but I do need them for managing my internal servers. The best bit of advice I can give you is source one through a reputable vendor, I use GoDaddy and I've never had any issues with them but as I said I need them to secure my organisations infrastructure so the need to be pretty bullet proof for me and the cost is just something that gets absorbed into our running costs.
Nov 21, 2016 8:17 pm
mcneils5 says:
I have to get them for work, I'm an IT Manager for a local non-profit over here, I've never really had to use them for securing sites but I do need them for managing my internal servers. The best bit of advice I can give you is source one through a reputable vendor, I use GoDaddy and I've never had any issues with them but as I said I need them to secure my organisations infrastructure so the need to be pretty bullet proof for me and the cost is just something that gets absorbed into our running costs.
Unfortunately, GP's costs are all on me, heh, so I have to balance. Also, not a fan of GoDaddy :p But I get your overall point, thanks!
Nov 21, 2016 8:27 pm
We get our SSL Certs from https://www.startssl.com/ and get the free ones (I don't think we pay a subscription to them either). It's a bit of hassle having to update them each year, but the price is right!

I'm not the one who actually obtains them, but based on my conversations with him in the past, it sounds relatively easy.
Nov 21, 2016 8:31 pm
njohn858 says:
We get our SSL Certs from https://www.startssl.com/ and get the free ones (I don't think we pay a subscription to them either). It's a bit of hassle having to update them each year, but the price is right!

I'm not the one who actually obtains them, but based on my conversations with him in the past, it sounds relatively easy.
Hm... I've been led to believe free certs can still trigger security warnings on browsers? I gotta get more feedback.
Nov 21, 2016 8:35 pm
I just double checked....our certs are a Class 2, so we must be paying the $60/yr. We haven't run into any security warnings that I'm aware of.
Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm
$60 a year is reasonable. Man, I really wish I could find a social webdev group or a mentor. I feel like I'm drowning in information.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.