Part 4: Wave Echo Cave

Nov 28, 2016 5:41 pm
The following morning, you leave early and find the cave about fifteen miles to the east, well-hidden among the hills. It is going on evening now, and you have perhaps two hours of sunlight left in the day as you stare at the entrance to the cave, a five-foot wide opening in the stone.
Nov 28, 2016 5:56 pm
"If this place is occupied, it won't do us any good to camp out right by the entrance," says Kama. "How are you all feeling? Should we press on, or find us another spot to spend the night?"
Nov 28, 2016 8:52 pm
"I think we should explore at least the entrance -- if nothing else, we'll be more comfortable camping outside after clearing any threat lurking just inside the cave. Maybe we'll find a defensible spot in the shelter if the cave."

Sword in hand, he peers into the opening.
Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm
Kama grins, unsheathing Talon and he steps boldly into the cave.
Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm
The entrance (from the southwest) tunnel leads into a large cavern supported by a natural pillar of rock and containing three stalagmites. In the western part of the cave, behind the column of rock, are three bedrolls and a heap of ordinary supplies - sacks of flour, bags of salt, casks of salted meat, lanterns, flasks of lamp oil, pickaxes, shovels, and other gear. Amid the supplies, you see the body of a dwarf miner, dead for at least a week.

The northeastern section of the cave has collapsed, forming a ten-foot-wide, twenty-foot-deep pit. A sturdy hemp rope is tied off around a nearby stalagmite and dangles down the side of the pit, at the bottom of which is a rough-hewn tunnel heading northwest and east.
Nov 29, 2016 12:47 am
Kama kneels to inspect the body and determine what felled the dwarf. He also looks for anything identifiable.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20-1)

(9) - 1 = 8

Nov 29, 2016 12:53 am
The dwarf had his throat slit and no signs of a struggle. It appears that whoever did it was very skilled at that sort of work. During the course of your investigation, you notice that everything about his is dirty, with the exception of his very nice boots, which are pretty much spotless.
Nov 29, 2016 5:03 pm
I examine the tracks or scuff marks along the ground in an effort to gauge how many have passed through here, and in which direction.

Rolls

Survival? - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm
"I wonder if this is his brother," Kama muses. "Let's be very alert. This kill wasn't made by any orc or goblin." The half-orc steps to the edge of the pit and peers into the darkness, letting his darkvision settle in.
Nov 29, 2016 7:20 pm
There are tracks leading both in and out, but never in great numbers.
Nov 29, 2016 7:22 pm
Kama can't see anything new with his darkvision. Just the pit in the floor, the sturdy rope, and the paths leading northwest and east from the pit.
Nov 29, 2016 10:32 pm
Stormsong snatches up a lantern and some oil flasks, then lights the lantern. "Much better, eh Xora?"

He then examines the supplies -- does it look like they were scavenged by thieves? If not, then the killing was more of an assassination.

He'll also check out the body -- any family resemblance? -- and take a closer look at those boots.
OOC:
Is there a hooded lantern?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Nov 29, 2016 10:33 pm
The supplies look to be untouched, and Stormsong is able to find a hooded lantern there. He is, however, not familiar enough with Gundren to see a resemblance.
Nov 30, 2016 2:01 am
Cmbrian sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 30, 2016 2:07 am
Kama checks the rope and gives it a few tugs. "I'll check out downstairs a bit, see what's there." He descends to the lower level using the rope.
Nov 30, 2016 2:10 am
Naatkinson sent a note to Cmbrian
Stormsong also notices that the boots look much cleaner than the rest of his garments.
Nov 30, 2016 2:15 am
"Gimblyn, what do you make of these boots? I'd think that they would be the dirtiest piece of clothing rather than the cleanest. I wonder if the killers planted them on him...or if there is something special about them. I'll see if my Bardic magic can help, but I'm really not that smart -- my magic comes through my music and poetry. Can you try your special brand of magic?"

Rolls

arcana - (1d20-1)

(6) - 1 = 5

Dec 1, 2016 4:09 pm
I continue further in, while staying within sight of my party members in case there's any trouble.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Dec 1, 2016 4:59 pm
Xora and Kama descend the rope into the pit with no issues. There is a hallway leading east and one leading northwest.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.