Subforum versus Threads

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 1, 2016 1:15 pm
I am curious to see how people use subforums vs threads in a game. I am revving up to do something and would like some feedback.
Dec 1, 2016 1:35 pm
I always make a sub forum called GM screen and make it invisible to the players. This is where I keep all of my notes for the game as well as track combat.
Dec 1, 2016 1:43 pm
nice, and how do you do that? I don't think I saw it in the new user guide.
Dec 1, 2016 2:30 pm
Valdus says:
We can add it to the FAQs for sure. Once you make a game and it's forums, you'll see a link at the top right for the Administrative Control Panel. You'll have options to create subforums and change permissions for those subforums in there.
Dec 1, 2016 3:02 pm
Valdus says:
1. When you're at the main Forum selection screen for your game, click Administrative Control Panel at the top right.

2. It should take you to a Subforums page. Go ahead and type in GM Screen, then click add. This should then display that forum name with three symbols to the left.

3. Click the "key" icon (this is permissions)

4. Under the groups section, it should say "Add permission for: " then the name of the game. Click Add.

5. Should bring up the permissions list with all things set to Inherit. Set them all to No, and that will make it private
Dec 1, 2016 3:02 pm
I'm working on a new GM guide right now. It'll be in there :-)
Dec 1, 2016 3:21 pm
I assume as the GM you have all permissions set to 'yes'?
Dec 1, 2016 3:30 pm
Naatkinson says:
I always make a sub forum called GM screen and make it invisible to the players. This is where I keep all of my notes for the game as well as track combat.
I've done this as well. :D
Dec 1, 2016 3:31 pm
It is done, I think. I wish there was a way to test it out? No doubt of course by inviting someone no?
Dec 1, 2016 3:43 pm
kalajel says:
Naatkinson says:
I've done this as well. :D
I have this setup in my game as well.
Dec 1, 2016 4:20 pm
Valdus says:
I assume as the GM you have all permissions set to 'yes'?
Actually, no. Your access to the forums as the GM can't be restricted, so you don't have to worry about that.
Dec 1, 2016 4:21 pm
Valdus says:
It is done, I think. I wish there was a way to test it out? No doubt of course by inviting someone no?
Yep, just have someone join the game and check to see it works. I'd be willing to check it for you if you wanna invite me.
Dec 1, 2016 8:48 pm
Invite sent, I think.
Dec 1, 2016 9:09 pm
Hmm... I didn't get anything. Maybe just post a link to the Game page and I can apply that way?
Dec 1, 2016 9:26 pm
I had to open the game and then it had to reset.
Dec 1, 2016 10:20 pm
I usually have a locked thread for general info, posting rules, etc. Then I have one subforum for playing the game, and one for character creation/other stuff.

I think it's better to have multiple subforums instead of a massive 40-page gameplay thread.

Never thought about a secret forum, but I like to keep everything in the open. That way people know I'm not screwing them, it's the dice that's doing it!
Dec 1, 2016 10:22 pm
handle says:
I usually have a locked thread for general info, posting rules, etc. Then I have one subforum for playing the game, and one for character creation/other stuff.

I think it's better to have multiple subforums instead of a massive 40-page gameplay thread.

Never thought about a secret forum, but I like to keep everything in the open. That way people know I'm not screwing them, it's the dice that's doing it!
I used to do all of my rolls in the open. But now I'm GMing like 6-7 games and playing in 20+, so I try to save time where I can lol

As far as my private forum, that's just for GM notes and tracking monster HP and status conditions, things like that.
Dec 1, 2016 10:23 pm
Ah, that makes sense. I use Onenote for all my stuff.
Nov 11, 2017 2:26 am
I just created a hidden sub forum to keep track of all my GM notes and I'm loving it. I'm glad I found this thread! That is fantastic advice! I usually have all my notes in txt documents in Dropbox, but keeping them on the forum is so much more convenient when the game is happening on the forum as well. Thanks!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.