Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

Dec 14, 2016 10:18 pm
The gnomes do indeed throw a farewell party for your small group who has done so much for them. The drink flows and the food and company are wonderful, even Sarith joins in, though he stays a bit reserved, obviously uncomfortable in the group setting.

The following morning, you are informed that a small group of five gnomes, including Flarg, would guide you to Neverlight Grove and then to the surface before returning home. You are given time to gather your things and set off quickly, anxious to be back home on the surface. The travel is slow and steady, and you are undisturbed by the denizens of the underdark; not many would want to tangle with such a large group.

It takes 22 days before you make it to the grove, with Stool becoming more and more excited as the time goes on. You finally enter through a long, narrow tunnel, guided by the skilled gnomes and their maps. The cavern you enter is unlike anything you've seen before and almost certainly takes your breath away.

You enter above the main floor, with a small path heading south into the grove. Mushrooms of all shapes and sizes cover the floor, walls, and ceiling, giving off light of every color. Those of you who are familiar with surface forests can see similarities, but it's almost like you've entered another world.

Water drips from the ceiling occasionally, as well as trickles down the walls, leading to several smaller pools of water on the cavern floor. Across the way, the semi-open cavern narrows into a narrow ravine, in which you can see the largest mushroom you've ever imagined, though the mists caused by the abundance of water prevents you from seeing too many details about it.

Stool veritably launches forward, toward a nearby mound of rocks and soil covered in mushrooms. He moves around it as if expecting to find something, and it doesn't take long before you realize that one of the mushrooms is an adult myconid, which uncurls from its rest as Stool approaches, sending a steam of spores at the sprout. They spend several moments in apparent 'conversation' before the larger myconid makes his way over to you. He stops at a respectable distance and looks at you questioningly. You can only assume that he's asking permission to establish a connection to speak with you.
OOC:
You may advance to level 7!
Dec 14, 2016 10:24 pm
Hunter steps forward, giving a curtsy and bowing her head in supplication to the adult myconid. She allows herself to breathe in the spores.
Dec 15, 2016 10:55 pm
Having no desire to get involved in any type of conversation Elfog will remain roughly ten feet behind Hunter and watch the proceedings while keeping an eye open for any type of trouble.

"You too, Beard" he whispers the pet lizard sitting on his shoulder "give me a twitch if you see something."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Dec 16, 2016 4:34 pm
OOC:
Anyone else want to open up to the myconid's spores?
Dec 16, 2016 11:18 pm
Mai'ngor bows respectfully to the myconid but keeps his distance, arms crossed, not ketting his guard down.
Dec 19, 2016 7:47 pm
The large myconid doesn't look bothered that so few have agreed to receive its spores, though it's hard to tell from their expressionless faces. It sends out spores to Stool and Hunter, establishing a telepathic connection with them.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
The rest of you who didn't receive the spores have almost no choice but to wait patiently for the exchange to finish.
Dec 19, 2016 7:55 pm
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm
Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm
While the others are busy passing spores, Elfog finds a place on the ground and has a seat. "Go find yerself a meal, Beard" he says as he carefully grabs his pet and places it on the ground. "Just don't get yerself too far in case we need to move."

In the Underdark, talking to a lizard.
Dec 20, 2016 5:39 pm
Hunter curtsies to the large myconid, then turns to the party. Realizing that none but her took in the spores, she says, "This is Loobamub, leader of the Circle of Hunters. It thanks us for returning Stool and says we may stay as long as we like. Of course, it also understands that we are in a hurry to return to the surface."
Dec 20, 2016 5:56 pm
Beard moves away, looking for food, but stays within sight of his new friend.
Dec 20, 2016 7:00 pm
I attempt to touch the strange spores.
Dec 21, 2016 12:32 am
Mai'ngor nods. Please thank them for their offer of hospitality. But I, for one, am anxious to get moving. but then the tikbalang has a thought, This...their manner of communication...these spores...does it enable them to communicate over great distances? We have seen the glowing fungi almost everywhere we've gone. Do the myconids speak with them?
Dec 21, 2016 12:45 am
"Um," begins Hunter, uncertain. "I don't know. I know that Stool and I have never tried 'speaking' while apart, but I confess I never thought to try."

She turns to Loobamub and relays the question, including the description of the glowing fungi.
Dec 21, 2016 8:41 pm
Dec 21, 2016 8:50 pm
Hunter nods, and turns to Mai'ngor. "Perhaps a few hundred yards of distance. As for the glowing fungi, they're just normal plants, called nightlights."
Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm
Dec 22, 2016 3:10 am
Hunter bows almost reverently to Loobamub, then turns to the party and states simply, "I know the way out."
Dec 22, 2016 4:27 am
With his question about the myconids' mode of communication Mai'ngor hoped they might have some knowledge of what became of his loyal squire, the halfling Brynn. But apparently the myconid network isn't as extensive as the tikbalang imagined. Perhaps Brynn escaped the drow before Velkynvelve. Who knows. Mai'ngor bows low to Loobamub and nods to Hunter that he is ready to move.
Dec 22, 2016 6:18 am
"Um, does anyone have any questions for Sir Loobamub?" Hunter finally thinks to ask.
load next

Thread locked