Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

load previous
Apr 19, 2017 2:58 am
It isn't long after this exchange that you begin to see the ferry come into sight. A low wooden building sits near the bank of the Surbrin river and there are several river boats tied to a small dock jutting out into the water. The river looks relatively calm today and you can see a couple of men working to ready a boat to launch.

You move ever closer and a man stands up from his work, says something to the others and moves to meet you. He gives a low bow to Lanniver and a slightly smaller bow to the rest of you, except Sarith, "Ahh, Sir Strayl, I was hoping you'd arrive soon. We've prepared a small meal for your group if you'd like to eat before you set out down the river."

Strayl turns to the rest of you, leaving the choice of whether you eat or not up to you.
Apr 19, 2017 6:42 am
Hunter curtsies and says, "I leave that to our gracious host," gesturing with an open hand towards Lanniver and indicating the meal, thereby returning the question.
Apr 19, 2017 1:08 pm
Lanniver smiles at Hunter, then chuckles, "Well, I wouldn't want to deny you a good meal before we depart, we probably won't have another like it until we reach Gauntlgrym." He nods to the man, who turns and leads the way back toward the building. Sarith glares at the man's back, fingering the hilt of his new sword.

You are led into the small building, past the front counter and into a back room, where you find a nice meal waiting for you. The smell of fresh bread and stew fills the air. Several mugs of ale wait for you next to your plates, as well as a couple of glasses of wine. The man waves you into the room, "Enjoy your meal, I will be just outside if you need anything."
Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm
Hunter watches the man in studious appraisal. She smiles as he indicates the table, though it is a practiced expression to cover her observation of his mannerisms and glean his intentions.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Apr 19, 2017 10:28 pm
Elfog walks up next to Sarith and gives him a gentle nudge. "Don't give 'em a reason" he says quietly, looking towards the drow's sword.

"Not that they've have much of a chance against us" he adds trying to reassure Sarith.
Apr 20, 2017 1:42 am
Sarith nods grimly, accepting Elfog's reasoning. He stands up straighter and refuses to even look at the disrespectful man.

Hunter can sense nothing but respect from the man, at least in regards to Lanniver. It seems that he finds you as being beneath Lanniver's station and resents you for taking up the man's time. Chances are, though, that he is not aware of the task that you're truly taking on.
Apr 20, 2017 2:32 am
Hunter sits at the table in the offered chair, and waits for everyone to join.
Apr 20, 2017 2:32 am
I walk over to the glasses of wine, picking up one and giving it a good sniff before dunking some bread into it and nibbling as gracefully as possible.
Apr 20, 2017 2:59 am
Hunter smiles, miming the lifting of the pinky to indicate grace and nobility. Meanwhile, her other hand takes a bit of bread and slips it into her robes, followed by a fork.

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm
Sarith hesitates, but does take a place at the table, eating slowly.

Everyone noticed Hunter pocket the bread and fork.
Apr 20, 2017 4:04 pm
With a bow to the hosts, Mai'ngor joins the rest at the table. He almost smiles when he notices what Hunter has done, but his eyes fly to the other men, watching how they will react.
Apr 20, 2017 4:13 pm
At this point, your group is alone with Lanniver in the room. Everyone else is outside working on prepping the ferry. Lanniver notices, but says nothing of it.
Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm
Hunter does not even seem sorry, whether through a belief that her palming attempt was successfully discreet, or a lack of care. "Sir Strayl," she begins as a thought occurs, "have you had dealings with dwarves before?"
Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm
"Oh yes, many times. Blunt and honest almost to a fault," he says, nodding respectfully to Elfog, "You rarely have to wonder what their motivations are. It's always good to have a dwarf on your side, though you'd not want to fight one. Ferocious as cornered wolverines in battle."
Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Hunter nods. "I begin to see why Silverymoon has chosen you as their ambassador to Gauntlgrym."
Apr 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Elfog, worried about Hunter's recent behavior, hadn't been paying much attention to Strayl, until the discussion of dwarves catches his ears.

"Aye, we ain't much for hiding our thoughts or calling those out who need it."

He pauses and glances towards Hunter, "We will give our friends the benefit of the doubt once in a while."
Apr 24, 2017 1:56 pm
Lanniver takes the compliment with a smile and nods to Elfog's comment about giving friends the benefit of the doubt. He seems to take note of the significant look he's given Hunter, but doesn't mention it.

You eat the rest of your food in good spirits (mostly) and shortly after, the man returns, "The ferry is ready when you are."

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Apr 24, 2017 4:16 pm
"Excellent," says Hunter, rising from her chair. "Well, Sir Strayl, I hope you have had dealings with dwarves before, as we'll soon be at Gauntlgrym."

Rolls

Secret Roll

Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm
I lean towards Elfog. "Didn't he just say he's had dealings with dwarves, or did I miss something?"
Apr 24, 2017 9:28 pm
"Aye. Something ain't right with Hunter" Elfog responds to Xeliss as he stands from his seat and glares at the sorceress.

"Out with it!! What in hells is going on with ya!!"
load next

Thread locked