Trek Talk- Star Trek fans anyone?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 17, 2016 10:41 pm
A place to talk trek, and allow me to start with this, a blip from reddit...
Quote:
I want a new Star Trek show because I want to be inspired by how civilized humanity could be in the future, instead of depressed by how civilized we aren't right now
Dec 17, 2016 11:58 pm
The main problem with Star Trek is that right now, it,s between the hands of J.J. Abrams who made Trek for people who did not liked Trek. Our only salvation for some new Trek currently lies in the hands of some various small independent studios making fan productions. Most of them on youtube.

Still can't wait for Discovery, Pacific 201, and Axanar.
Dec 18, 2016 1:00 am
Well said Kalajel. I hard a hard time getting into Deep Space 90210 as it drifted too far from the formula. Trying to reach them now on Netflix.

Really liked Enterprise. Really really. Would love more of that, but preferably with significantly less time travel. About 90% less would suit me.

Also, downloaded the Star Trek Adventures beta stuff from Modiphius Entertainment. Haven't skimmed through it yet, but looking for some IRL peeps to try it with. Not sure we can get the play test done in time in PBP.
Last edited December 18, 2016 1:02 am
Dec 18, 2016 1:49 am
When we say we like Star Trek, we're really talking Next Generation Right?
Dec 18, 2016 3:40 am
justin77 says:
When we say we like Star Trek, we're really talking Next Generation Right?
Personally, for me, pretty much anything from TOS to somewhere before Voyager jumped the shark. I never really got into Enterprise, but mostly because I had completely stopped watching TV altogether at that point rather than any shortcomings of the show...
Last edited December 18, 2016 3:41 am
Dec 20, 2016 4:29 am
Universal really, not specific to just one ST. I think Enterprise was a lost franchise. So very many possibilities that were either ignored or simply not entertained. Primarily, the fact that the past looked more like the future. And the whole Xin war-9/11 parallel simply disgusted me utterly. A shame they never got to the Romulan War.
Jan 7, 2017 5:02 am
I think Enterprise had a lot of good qualities, though the Captain's personality and facial reactions to everything kind of made it a bit too campy for me. There's certainly a lot that can be said against it, but I can't help but feel it didn't get a fair shake. The great writers strike happening in the middle of it didn't help either, though holy moly, time travelling alien nazis? It's like they were trying to cringe the writers back to the show like "Do you see what we will do to your baby? DO YOU SEE?!"
Jan 21, 2017 5:20 pm
I'm gunna say that I found DS9 to be one of the more compelling Trek franchises. I appreciated that it had storylines that were longer running and was able to explore interpersonal conflict (and some bigger themes) as a result. Obviously TNG and Patrick Stewart have a nice place in my heart too.

I didn't love Voyager because I didn't like Janeway's approach to Captain as a younger Falryx. I'm curious what Older Falryx thinks of Voyager. Enterprise just got a little too.. meh several seasons in, which was unfortunate.

I am looking forward to Discovery (and got CBS all access just to have access to it). I find the JJ Abrams reboots fun, but not really very Star Trek.

I have started watching TNG with my kids on Sunday (using the Star Trek in 40 hours guide). We'll go to DS9 next, then to Voyager.
Feb 12, 2017 7:06 pm
The Axanar lawsuit has finally been settled with which will pretty much kill the fan-made fan films (which I mentioned previously).

Fan-productions will now be limited to two 15 minutes segments, then the fan-film/series is done, no continuation, no sequels, no prequels, no nothing... This pretty much kills any of the fan-series I've mentioned in a previous post. Not sure if their youtube channels or website will be forced to go down, after all the judgement does not seem to affect anything which has been done already... Either way, I'd suggest you watch them before they're gone, just in case...

Goddammit CBS...

Edit: I thought I had mentioned the fan-series in a previous post, but turns out, I did not, outside of Axanar and Pacific 201... So here's some of my favorite fan-trek productions:
New Voyages/Phase II.
Star Trek Continues.
Starship Farragut.
Starship Exeter.
Project: Potemkin.
Of Gods And Men.
Star Trek Horizons.
Hidden Frontier/Helena Chronicles.
There is still Starship Intrepid and Renegades I haven,t included because I don't think they're that good, but you can still find them on youtube.

Enjoy!

Edit 2: Oh, I also forgot Star Trek Fan Animated.

Edit 3: Goddammit! I also forgot The Secret Voyages. XD

Edit 4: Decided to do a bit more search to see if I could not find some more nice fan-trek stuff...
Chance Encounter.
Aurora.
Last edited February 12, 2017 11:02 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.