Feature Request/Thought: Spoiler Boxes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 21, 2016 4:10 pm
I know that we have (and love that we have) the Note feature. I think it provides a much needed functionality to pass information that has no need or expectation of going to other people.

What I'd love to see is what some other BBCode style forums have with a spoiler feature where a button or something of that nature is provided to expand and reveal the information. That way I could do something like

[spoiler tag="Information if you make a DC15 Intelligence Check"]

Limited info. It's a creature with arms.

[end spoiler tag]

[spoiler tag="Information if you make a DC25 Intelligence Check"]

Those arms are magical arms and can cleave your soul from your body.

[end spoiler tag]

I understand that the same thing could be accomplished via notes, but from a timing perspective, if it's something I want to be able to post and have players catch up with as they can (could be something like [spoiler tag="When you enter the room you see....."]

Beyond that, I've seen it used pretty effectively in loot tracking threads, NPC threads, and the like to give more power to having a list without having to have all the text visible at all times. You can keep segments collapsed until you need to see what's there.

Not sure how easy/feasible/whatever it would be. Spoiler Info
Dec 21, 2016 5:20 pm
You can leave notes to yourself as a GM. So that way you won't forget the info. It's not as nice-looking as a spoiler box, but that way people who don't make their rolls won't be tempted to take a peak...
Dec 21, 2016 5:43 pm
I do that all the time. The NPC sheet was more that I have a page to track NPCs with the characters including what gear they are carrying and such. Also I have a loot page where the unclaimed party loot lives, which can get very long. Splitting it into spoiler blocks would let people open up the weapons section if that's what they were interested in checking out. The thing you described is exactly why I love the note feature. I use that to track HP and effects in combat. Much easier.
Jan 10, 2017 5:13 am
I'm nearly done with this feature, but I can't think of what would be a good icon to put in the WYSIWYG bar. I also think I should create a help thing describing all the shortcodes and their uses.
Jan 10, 2017 5:17 am
Woo!

Do you have a monkey icon covering its eyes? :)
Jan 10, 2017 5:32 am
I'm throwing an executive veto on a monkey icon. It's too reminiscent of a great ape, and seriously, does a great ape covering it's eyes even make sense?
Jan 10, 2017 4:32 pm
Could be a facepalm... but that would not make much sense for a spoiler icon either...
Jan 11, 2017 5:04 am
You'll notice I've added a spoiler tag! Check it out, tell me how it works out, and what needs fixing.
Jan 11, 2017 5:15 am
[ +- ] Check this out.
Jan 11, 2017 5:17 am
[ +- ] Perception 16+
[ +- ] Perception 20+
Jan 11, 2017 5:17 am
That all looks awesome Keleth! I love it.
Jan 11, 2017 5:18 am
[ +- ] Nice
Jan 11, 2017 5:35 am
Does it work visually? Any suggestions for improvements? Also, it works without text in the opening tag.
Jan 11, 2017 5:45 am
[ +- ] Impressive stuff.
Jan 11, 2017 5:54 am
Visually, I like it. As of right now (without a bit of abuse in game a bit) it's hard to identify improvements. Seems to work well on mobile as well. I will get back once I've used it a bit more.
Jan 11, 2017 6:10 am
Yeah, I like it as well. If I HAD to pick something, it is extremely mundane and doesn't need immediate attention, the spoiler tag looks a little out of place on the bar; perhaps because it's six letters or because it's new.
[ +- ] Either way.
[ +- ] Tests
[/spoiler]

Don't see when my tests would ever be relevant but I guess you can't add a spoiler to a spoiler.
Last edited January 11, 2017 6:16 am
Jan 11, 2017 6:59 am
I'm guessing your spoiler is meant to be a link.

Was the last test to have a spoiler inside a spoiler?
Jan 11, 2017 7:22 am
[ +- ] How about a link inside a spoiler?
Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm
Not going to lie - this is going to be _very_ helpful! Suddenly, there's a simple way to share what the PC and NPC health or resources are to the other players. Fantastic new addition to the site, Keleth! :D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.