Feature Request/Thought: Spoiler Boxes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 12, 2017 2:45 am
One thing I've sometimes struggled with as a first-time GM is having a cool image to show the players but knowing that putting it there at the end of your narration will ruin the suspense because let's face it, their eyes will be drawn to the image of your BBEG before they even read your description of the spooky tunnel that leads them to his evil lair. But now you can get the reveal just right by putting the image in a spoiler box! AWESOME!
[ +- ] Spoiler
Jan 12, 2017 2:59 am
I'm so excited that Keleth was able to get these in. Such a useful tool in many situations.
Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm
The one thing I noticed is when a spoiler is open, you can't exactly copy text out of it because when you try selecting it, the box collapses.

I just compensated by quoting the person and then copying it from there, so not a huge imposition.
Jan 12, 2017 3:04 pm
I only just noticed these were added... great addition, thanks Keleth! Can see them being a lot of help for perception checks and making big stat blocks less cluttered.
Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm
Dramasailor says:
The one thing I noticed is when a spoiler is open, you can't exactly copy text out of it because when you try selecting it, the box collapses.

I just compensated by quoting the person and then copying it from there, so not a huge imposition.
I'll change it so only clicking the title toggles it.
Jan 31, 2017 12:10 am
So you have to trust your players will not look if they do not make the save.
Jan 31, 2017 12:14 am
DM_Apexwolf that is correct.

Also I have noticed that some picture seem to go out of the box a bit. This isn't really an issue just wasn't sure if you knew or not.
Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm
Snowycoldfood, can you provide me an example? I can fix it up, just not sure what you mean.
Jan 31, 2017 2:52 pm
If I gather the meaning, it's when the picture's width is greater than that of the spoiler box, the image extends beyond the border of the spoiler when the spoiler is expanded. Example below:
[ +- ] Spoiler Header
Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm
Hm... that shouldn't happen... it should be confined to the width of the box it's in. I'll work on that.
Jan 31, 2017 3:02 pm
Not that it's ever bothered me, but I've seen this happen in places other than the spoiler box. I've seen it in the main body of a post (but can't find an example right now), and I've seen it in a character sheet.
Jan 31, 2017 4:06 pm
That's not good! I'll try to fix it. Point them out, sometimes I forget to test images in places.
Jan 31, 2017 4:26 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:
So you have to trust your players will not look if they do not make the save.
Or, trust your players to RP correctly. I figure it's like someone that has the Monster Manual in D&D5; they might know what the creature can do while their character has never seen nor heard about it before.
Jan 31, 2017 5:59 pm
Spoiler and custom char sheet images fixed.
Jan 31, 2017 7:23 pm
I have to say, the spoiler boxes have turned out extremely useful, much more so than I originally thought. Kudos for getting them in!
Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm
azira says:
I have to say, the spoiler boxes have turned out extremely useful, much more so than I originally thought. Kudos for getting them in!
Agreed, they're great!
Jan 31, 2017 7:33 pm
Yeah, when it was suggested I was like "meh." But now I love 'em! :-)
Feb 1, 2017 8:52 am
It helps keep things neater especially for list and what not.
Feb 19, 2017 12:31 am
On another note, I love them because they allow for limited info without keeping all your players in the dark. I've been in a game or two where the DM and a player where exchanging notes faster than I could keep up with and I felt a tad excluded, but with spoilers I can communicate to a specific player, but the others can get in on it too unless I specify otherwise. Gives a more inclusive, table-top sort of feel in my opinion.
Of course, that's because I think the players should be able to know certain things that their characters don't, but that's just my personal preference.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.