Looking for some help

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 1, 2015 7:13 pm
Lemme start by saying I'm super happy people are using Gamers' Plane, and I'm honored by it as well. I'm hoping you're all enjoying what GP has, and I promise you it'll keep growing. I was originally gonna put up a post today about how GP was going to shut down because I can't afford it, blah blah, as a stupid April Fools joke, but meh.

More so, I've noticed that growth has stagnated, and that's partially my fault. I haven't been promoting GP on Twitter as much as I used to, and I used to message everyone who followed me about GP, asking they check it out. I got a bit big-headed and stopped doing it, as it seemed people were signing up on their own accord (and I never particularly liked the tactic). However, you guys seem to be liking it, and I'm nowhere near ready to give up on the project. I'm still working on features and new systems.

Unfortunately, between my day job, GP development, two other projects, and trying to find time to do a bit of relaxing (unsuccessfully), I'm at a limit. So I'm turning to you guys! A have a few things I keep meaning to get to, and clearly not getting to at all.

1) Gamers' Plane has a Facebook page. Did you know that? I sorta forgot. It's inactive, even though its a prime method of getting activity. I don't expect a ton of activity, but when new games are made, announcements come up, or interesting threads get going, there should be matching posts on the FB page. I'm hoping I can get one or two of you guys to help me with that; it won't require a ton of work.

2) Twitter is nice and all, but there's more to the world than 140 characters! I'm sure some of you are involved in RL groups/organizations, meetups, post on other FB groups about RPGs, Reddit, etc. I'm hoping I can get your help spreading the word about GP and its features more. Would a form letter help? A more itemized list of features/functionality? And if you do make a post somewhere I can see/access, let me know, and maybe I can keep and eye/back it up. The only exception here is other Play-by-Post sites. Specially after that guy tried to link back to rpol.net a few weeks back, I've firmed up my commitment to not be a jerk and outright steal users. I wanna compete fairly, by being the best.

3) Are you on/do you run a podcast? Do you follow one in particular, or know someone who runs a gamer/RPG podcast? Let me know, specially if you think they'd be interested in a guest host or partnership of sorts. This extends to blogs as well. The more we can get GP's name out there, the more games we'll get up, and the more players we'll have.

4) As always, if you have thoughts about the failings of Gamers' Plane, let me know. I'm always out to improve the site.

I don't have any direct method to reward/thank you guys right now. I'm getting a few donations right now, which have helped offset server costs for this month and part of next, so they're nowhere near the point of giveaways or prizes yet (remember, if you want to help support the site fiscally, I have donation links at the bottom, or if you're buying what you'd already be buying from DTRPG or Amazon, use my links for that too). The best I can offer right now is when I get the XP system built, I'll make a special banner for your assistance, and an XP potion. Yummy, yummy, digital XP potion. Maybe I can come up with a drink called an "XP Potion"...
Apr 2, 2015 1:26 am
Does Gamers' Plane have a presence on BGG/RPGG?
Apr 2, 2015 1:35 am
I barely have a presence on Facebook...
Apr 2, 2015 2:25 am
szemely says:
Does Gamers' Plane have a presence on BGG/RPGG?
I personally found RPGG to be very unhelpful with most things unless you were already someone established within the social network of the site.
Apr 2, 2015 2:41 am
I found myself not liking RPGG either. I'm hoping I can create a more inclusive and friendly community.
Apr 4, 2015 4:44 am
While this isn't your fault (more just my bad luck) each game I've joined and made a character for has been a non-starter, and I got discouraged and haven't been on as much.
Apr 4, 2015 2:40 pm
As you joined up near the start, I think we had issues with others (and my) initial games starting slow and thus dying quickly. It seems activity has picked up quite a bit since then, and a lot of the current on going games are moving at pretty good paces as far as I can see.
Apr 4, 2015 2:55 pm
I'll try and post stuff on Facebook as it comes up, and maybe post some gaming related stuff there, too, to make it more active. I can also try and cross-pollinate with other Facebook RPG groups I'm involved in.
Apr 4, 2015 3:23 pm
I gotta write up some scripts to automatically post to the Facebook Page as well.
Apr 16, 2015 12:01 pm
d20dad says:
While this isn't your fault (more just my bad luck) each game I've joined and made a character for has been a non-starter, and I got discouraged and haven't been on as much.
I run an active game, but we've been slowing down (real life issues for me and for players). I've also been in two games that have shut down (one just recently). It was no one's fault... it was just life. Still, I come back for more. If I was not running 2 real life games and playing in another, I would step up and run another on here.
Apr 16, 2015 5:05 pm
d20dad says:
I think the lack of a email notification early on made it hard for people to keep up with the games they were trying to participate in. So a lot of them died on the vine just because people got busy, and weren't reminded to come back and see the progress.
Apr 16, 2015 5:45 pm
I'm hoping the site is improving...
Apr 16, 2015 5:58 pm
Oh definitely @Keleth. I've seen dramatic improvements as well as an uptick in the number of active games which is awesome!
Apr 30, 2015 7:17 pm
*coughs meekly and bumps this topic so new members know how important it is to the continuation of awesomeness*
Apr 30, 2015 7:39 pm
I posted on Reddit and on two Dungeonslayers Forums about GP... Who is next?
Apr 30, 2015 9:08 pm
I'd like to help, but I don't use social media at all... well except G+ because Google thought it would be a good idea to impose it on us to use Youtube, but meh... I can always try to talk about this site on other forums I frequent, that is the best I can offer.
Apr 30, 2015 9:11 pm
I think a large of what will make this site succeed is people active on the site, people mentioning what they want to see on the site, and mentioning it to friends/ppl they chat with. Hey, if nothing else, join/start games, add characters to the char library!
Apr 30, 2015 10:11 pm
Well, I did wanted to start a Dungeonslayers game using Maptool on another forum I frequent. But right now I have trouble with Maptools which I am currently attempting to troubleshoot, but if all else fails, I could always resort to using a pbp format on here instead, so that would attract people from that other forum I frequent...
Apr 30, 2015 10:46 pm
I decided early on, I wouldn't try to steal users from other sites, so I'll just say play where you're more comfortable. But if you are playing here, you can be sure you have an active dev always ready to help out :D
May 1, 2015 12:29 am
Oh don't worry, you wouldn't be stealing anyone from that other forum. It's not a forum dedicated to RPGs. But like I said, it all depends on whether I can fix my maptools problems...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.