Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jun 22, 2017 8:38 pm
Zangua remains where he is. He does not understand what's being spoken and while he can see that the mist is surrounding the elf, he also doesn't know what that means.
Jun 22, 2017 9:43 pm
"We have what we need. And I think the jinn does too. We should make haste back to the mainland."
Jun 23, 2017 2:01 pm
Sorry, y'all, super busy lately, but you have been doing great without me.

"He may yet be useful, Felor."

Mordred launches a Fire Bolt into the steam near Pafthinel, to see if it has any effect on the mist at all.
Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm
"Marid! We are not yet done with him!" Domarc yells. He casts Vicious Mockery at the cloud of mist, to see if it has any effect.
Quote:
You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments at a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next Attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

This spell's damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).
Last edited June 23, 2017 2:57 pm
Jun 23, 2017 3:44 pm
At the sudden verbal and magical outcry, the jinn seems to stop forcing its way into Pafthinel, but holds itself around him like a pulsating, transparent shroud. The elf leans crookedly against the wall, holding his breath, staring out at you all with a look of profound terror in his eyes. He says nothing.

Rolls

Jinn saving throw - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Damage - (2d4)

(43) = 7

Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm
"Just keep asking him questions," Zangua states, as if it should be obvious. However, he doesn't move from his spot, and seems unimpressed with the theatrics before him.
Last edited June 23, 2017 4:27 pm
Jun 23, 2017 5:55 pm
(Switching to commmon, for the benefit of all)

"Could the conduit between the Sphere and the Shrine could work in both directions? Keep talking. Everything you can share helps us all."

(back to Elven)

"I tried to warn you, but I think my spells have been blocked. She is too powerful for us and I think there is little we can do."
Jun 23, 2017 6:02 pm
Pafthinel gives a slight affirmative nod, then doubles over and starts forcing himself to cough. He holds his breath after, but cannot resist one small gasp, sucking in yet more of the jinn. His eyes dart from the passage out of the chamber to the stone chest, and back again.
Jun 23, 2017 6:09 pm
Does Pafthinel have the other things from the chest? The ruby and silver thing in particular, or did we just give him the water and tincture? If not...

Mordred reaches into the chest, and if anything is in there, he passes it to Pafthinel immediately.
Jun 23, 2017 9:23 pm
While Mordred retrieves the items from the chest, Pafthinel's belly, chest, and throat begin to swell. He reaches feebly for the items Mordred hands him, dropping the silver object and trying to position the ruby between his fingers.

Anybody who wants to take any action at this point, please make a straight up Dexterity check.
Jun 24, 2017 3:14 am
Leth watches in horror, his bow now drawn, as the scene unfolds in front of him... but he doesn't move, completely at a loss as to what he should do.
OOC:
busy again :( doesn't seem like there's much I could have done/can do, anyways. Anybody got a spell that lets them blow a moderate gust of wind?
Jun 24, 2017 12:02 pm
Terra takes in the story told in elvish and upon seeing the warrior Zangua cannot do much, she gives a piercing shrill and prolonged whistle and calls in her owl, hoping it can make it through the heat.

Assuming I have any control of my owl beast, would like him swoop in and flap his wings to disperse the mist away from our elven informant.

"Come away from the wall, elf!" She calls out in elvish, extending her hand it ask him to exit the enclosed area.
Last edited June 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Rolls

Dexterity - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jun 25, 2017 4:50 am
OOC:
You know what? Why not; let's try something.
An idea dawns on Leth as he sees Terra call for her owl. He drops his bow, unclasps his cloak and begins to flap it in a large, billowing motion, hoping to disperse the jinn-mist a bit and give Pafthinel a moment to breathe.
OOC:
Unless, of course, that's too much action in one turn.
Last edited June 25, 2017 4:51 am

Rolls

Dex roll - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm
Terra whistles shrilly while Leth unclasps his cloak. Pafthinel lets out a low, strange moan. Then he explodes.

Blood, gore and bone spray over the chamber and everyone in it, leaving the jinn squatting in her full bodily form where Pafthinel just was. "We had an agreement, but you kept trying to warn him of me. Such behavior is why the mortal races are so distrusted," she says with evident annoyance in her tone. She stands up, spins on her heel, and vanishes in a foamy, collapsing column of water.

Terra's owl descends through one of the holes in the chamber's ceiling and lights on her shoulder. It nibbles on a small piece of Pafthinel it finds there.
Jun 25, 2017 8:40 pm
Zangua seems undisturbed by the events. In fact, he appears impressed with the whole ordeal, enough that he gives just a cursory glance about the chamber before heading to the exit.
Jun 26, 2017 7:40 am
Terra is a little shell-shocked by the whole ordeal. She picks off pieces of the elf and gulps as her owl feasts. She follows behind Zangua. "I never thought I'd say this but: can we get back to the ship now?"
Jun 26, 2017 9:29 am
"Hell's teeth..." mutters Felor, grimacing. "This is what you get for attempting to control the elements - such things are the domain of gods. And here," he gestures around them, "inside a mountain. Fjorgyn's realm." He shakes his head. "May Fjorgyn judge his soul with mercy in the next life."
Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm
"Well," Domarc says. He carefully picks some of the pieces of Pafthinel off himself and surveys the room. "So that happened."

He picks up the ruby and the silver finger. "I'm in favour of returning to the boat, myself. I'm not sure any good can come of further exploration. And we learned what we came for; if we can get our hands on the Sphere..."
Jun 26, 2017 4:18 pm
At the entrance to the cave, Zangua remains on alert. The last thing he needs is a large bird with sharp teeth on the prowl. Noticing that Terra has followed, he asks without looking at her, "You speak the elf-tongue, too?"
Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm
OOC:
Is it still night? Might I suggest we hole up and rest for a bit then, so we're not traipsing through the jungle in the dark?

And while my bias is to leave the island, does anyone want to explore/loot? I feel like the urgency of our quest means moving on.

And just to try to create a convenient summary for everyone (assume that Domarc shares this if we camp or when we get back to the boat):

-The Iron Sphere had no special properties
-Pafthinel was hired by the House of Orjo to enchant the stone so that it could be used as a bit of a "trojan horse" to enable an invasion of Sthrumbo
-the Stone acts as one end of a portal - it can be moved to wherever
-the second end of the portal is the Shrine of Culsu in Hazard; the proper arrangement of magnetic stones in the Shrine will open the portal to wherever the Stone is.
-But the portal is bi-directional; it could be used to send whatever is at the Stone's location to the Shrine. I think we should assume that the 6PC has the knowledge to open the portal.
-Destroying the Stone is our best bet - Pafthinel also suggested dropping it in the ocean, but my fear with that would be that the portal can still be opened and let in the ocean/a Kraken, etc.
-Moving to speculation, I think the Cult's plan is to open the portal once the Stone is act a location that would cause both a natural disaster (flooding) and possibly one that involves a large magical beast that will wreak havoc
load next

Thread locked