For starters...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 8, 2015 10:18 am
Binleeargo and Apro, there's just one thing I think would be fun if you did. the titles of your backgrounds are very generic, which is totally fine, but can be very versatile if a little more specific. for example, instead of having a "magician" background, maybe you have "magician entertainer of Drakkenhall's gnoll wrestling club" (not specifically, of course) jusy to give you more of an edge with a background. with that, you know something about Drakkenhall, gnolls, petty magic, entertaining a crowd and any other whacky thing you could tie into the background! as another example, instead of "tracker" you could ve the "unofficial imperial tracker of demonic owlbears"! Tanser has it down pretty well, sorry for calling you guys out like that. just want to help you get the most out of your backgrounds!
Apr 8, 2015 8:36 pm
bonzailopper says:
Could also be a tattoo or birthmark common among our people?
Your avatar is freaking me out!! :-)
Apr 8, 2015 8:42 pm
I'll see what I can come up with better backgrounds a little later this evening. Glad you're taking a peek at the sheets!
Apr 8, 2015 10:25 pm
there's nothing wrong with the backgrounds you have already! the object is more to paint a story of your character than to just be another name for a "skills" table from another rpg. i just find that making my backgrounds more story-specific help me to get into my charactet
Apr 9, 2015 12:07 am
I'll revise the background names, too.
Last edited April 9, 2015 12:09 am
Apr 9, 2015 12:15 am
szemely says:
bonzailopper says:
Could also be a tattoo or birthmark common among our people?
Your avatar is freaking me out!! :-)
HA! A doll my Daughter has. Stands about 3 and a half to 4 ft high. I place it around corners. Scares the crap out of people.
Apr 9, 2015 12:25 am
Private Magician for the Influential Ramsal Family
Recovering From an Addiction to Kobold Grown Drugs

The Ramsals would not be at all happy to know that their hired magician is a recovering "paw" addict!

I'm going to leave 2 points open for further background development. I'm more used to developing backgrounds as the game progresses but can see why it's useful to do at least some of it up front with this system.
Last edited April 9, 2015 12:28 am
Apr 9, 2015 10:19 am
hahahhahaha oh my god that's awesome. what's "paw"? this is what i like about this game, it leaves it up to the players to make up some of the lore too, so every 13th Age game is different.
Apr 9, 2015 10:37 am
so we're pretty much almost read to start this circus of an adventure! all i need is a little geographical information about where the gnome home (heh... that's funny) was located. if there's no map or anything in the SRD, just look up the map on google images and send me a PM or something with any questions about cities/towns/geographical info. your background and such have inspired me in a way and i just need a little more fuel to get this puppy goin! we're only waiting on characters from two other people (one of which i know personally outside of gamers plane).
Apr 9, 2015 1:51 pm
As to the defunct gnome home, there is a marsh or something called The Knee Deep, (west of the Giantwalk and upriver from the capital Axis), that seems gnomish and dangerous, as well.

Revised backgrounds:
- bounty hunter for the the priesthood of Sejorlia, the Goddess of Justice
- unofficial lost-gnome tracker of the Knee Deep diaspora
Apr 9, 2015 4:38 pm
I like it. The Gnome Home in The Knee Deep. We've learned to avoid the Giants, and perhaps have found a use for the Giant Insects. Tanser probably has a little skiff that he takes down the River to Axis. He knows of a nice Drainage access that he sneaks into the city through to "honestly and innocently procure supplies we may need"...or something.
Apr 9, 2015 10:01 pm
I'm digging the Gnome Home! I also like the idea of having some sort of tattoo. Perhaps a rite of passage type of thing for Gnomes from our area.

Paw (also known as "The Paw", "P", or "K Juice") is a fungus grown and processed in dungeons and abandoned dragon liars by kobolds. The kobolds use paw in some of their ceremonies in honor of The Three or to just get stoned. Some of the more enterprising kobolds have taken to selling or trading paw with other races. Apró has been off the paw for quite a few years and tries very hard to keep away from the tempting substance. (He was basically a stoner gnome for a while)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/4927a413cd06a803b3961cd50de88712/tumblr_nmk77jRoiq1uqklmto1_1280.png
Last edited April 9, 2015 10:03 pm
Apr 10, 2015 1:12 am
Well if Apro ever wants back on that horse....Tanser knows a "guy".
Apr 10, 2015 1:35 am
I'm most of the way through creating a gnome fighter who used to be a bit of a celeberity but I don't know of there's any lore I should know?
Apr 10, 2015 1:55 am
I know nothing, Jon Snow.
Apr 10, 2015 2:06 am
"I'm clean now.... Really!"
Apr 10, 2015 2:59 am
Ok, then can the kobolds have a king? And can I spend icon relationship to be his nemesis?
Apr 10, 2015 3:06 am
I think Kobolds are in with The Three, so I think you can spend an icon point for a negative relationship with them. Although our good DM would know a lot more about that than I do.
Apr 10, 2015 10:14 am
Kobolds serve whoever won't kill them, they are just one of the most popular assets of the three. i really hope you didn't feel rabbit-holed into becoming a gnome lol please play whatever you like! as for a possible kobold king, perhaps there is a kobold somewhere that fanvies himself a king but in reality, they serve icons or just live in little tribes dotted around the Dragon Empire. perhaps there's a kobold in a high position in the Blue's kobold guard in Drakkenhall that calls himself the Kobold King when she's not looking? maybe there's a kobold that's in the employ of the Diabolist that wants to be the king of all kobolds and serves her hoping to someday obtain that goal? or just maybe there's a tribe of kobolds that lived near your gnome home that believed it was the only living kobolds left in the world and their leader fancied himself a king? it's really up to you to tell me!
Apr 12, 2015 1:48 pm
How's the character creation coming? I'm ready to kick this off
load next

Thread locked