Character Creation Thread

Apr 15, 2015 7:01 am
Here is where you can get post character ideas and discuss whatever you need to complte your character. Feel free to ask questions.
Apr 17, 2015 2:00 am
I have submitted my Faun, based loosely on the House Elf Kreacher from the Harry Potter movies. Let me know if this concept works, or if there are any changes you would like.
Apr 17, 2015 2:07 am
I was thinking of going fairly boring as far as the type of creature goes, possibly just a normal cat with some sort of special pattern on its fur.
Apr 17, 2015 2:41 am
I like Fenwick over all. I have a small issue with your 2nd and 3rd Stunts. They seem to limiting. I'm going to break down what I am reading and give a suggestion to improve the flexibility. It will be up to you if you change it and you don't have to take my idea if something else come to mind after reading what I have to say...

Stunt #2- Currently it says Spend a Fate point to fill an area with small flying objects. That sounds like you are attempting to automatically Create an Advantage (a scene aspect) by spending a Fate Point. That's fine, but it seems limited in scope. You may not always have a bunch of stuff that would be useful, or it may hinder the other PCs some how. Keeping the idea...perhaps change it to "Create an Advantage using my telekinetic magic." The idea being you are still doing creating the aspect without needing to roll for it (you won't ever get a boost for this, or more than the one free Invoke) but you will always get the effect you want. In addition you have the freedom to use the environment more creativity.

3rd Stunt - I had an idea here, but now I'm not so sure it lines up with what you want. So let's discuss how this Empathy stunt is going to be used. First, I like that its a bit of a "charm" effect...that fits your character well. At first glance it seems limiting as well, it is a free Create Advantage/Aspect once per scene, all good there, but to what end? Is the empathetic enemy going to quit opposing your character and let you walk on by? If its a guard keeping a prisoner in jail and you want the prisoner out...is the guard just going to let them go because he feels for your character? Then we are getting to strong, I don't want "one-shot kills" so to speak. So...talk to me more about what you want to achieve with this stunt. I think you have a start that just needs to be tinckered with.
Apr 17, 2015 2:44 am
Also, something I'd like to see in your Backgrounds is a detail or two about your former master. Their magic is connected to yours, but what were they doing with their magic? What or why did they die? It doesn't have to be a novel, just a few details that I might incorporat later.
Apr 17, 2015 3:00 am
I like the change to stunt 2, and I agree stunt 3 needs work. I was thinking that the Empathy would create temporary reprieves from anger or negative emotions directed at Fenwick, a defensive "I'm helpless and you want to protect me" trick.

I've been adding backstory to the char sheet. I haven't got to the mages death yet.
Apr 17, 2015 3:08 am
OK...that gives me something to think about. So...would it be a quick one action reprieve? Like...a guy with a big axe is about to smite you and you cast your Empathy charm and he loses his one action. Or does he ignore you the rest of the scene unless you get in his face?
Apr 17, 2015 3:17 am
Yeah, one action, like a stun or daze defense when threatened. Enough time to Void an attack and try to escape.
Apr 17, 2015 3:27 am
OK! That is perfect...so once per scene you can ignore an attack regardless of the roll results. You will basically negate the action as far as it affects Fenwick. Your next action can be whatever makes sense...run or fight. You can use this stunt after we know the results, so use it anytime.
Apr 22, 2015 1:12 am
Still planning on getting a character going, may just need a couple more days.
Apr 22, 2015 2:15 am
Let me know if I can help with anything.
Apr 22, 2015 2:46 am
My notes disappeared from my char sheet, so I'll need to renter them.
Apr 22, 2015 3:24 am
I still see notes. But maybe you added some that I didn't see.
Apr 22, 2015 4:08 am
Hmmm. Must be all that crack I must be smoking.

I've updated the background.
Last edited April 22, 2015 4:17 am
Apr 22, 2015 11:56 pm
foolsmask - continuing the conversation started in the Games Tavern about the issues you listed.

Issue 1 - No speaking. I can take or leave this aspect. I was thinking it would be a fun challenge for me to express thoughts and dialogue through body language and some magical means of shifting the color/intensity of the magic gems. It would also create some opportunity for interesting trouble or humor. But being able to speak would be simpler. If your preference is to have the characters speak I'm good with that. If no preference, I'll probably just let a die roll decide.

Issue 2 - Battle Form. This was something I was worried would break the story narrative. I was planning on it being a once per session stunt. Just to offer an alternative that may be a better fit with this story, instead of a battle form increasing size it could just change the shape of the familiar. Kind of like donning armor and weapons. I haven't fleshed out the thought but wanted to offer an alternative.

Thanks for bringing me into the game.
Apr 23, 2015 12:15 am
Yeah THEMeeple, both of those sound good. If you feel are a strong enough writer to work without a voice then we can try it. If it gets to hard we can alter it. And the Growing Battle form thing is a great stunt, just not an "at-will" ability. It sounds like you are good to go. So feel free to put that together.
And once again...everybody ask questions if you need my help.
Apr 23, 2015 5:16 am
I could probably ask a load of questions but I've been reading the fate-srd to try and keep me from doing that. I'm putting the PC sheet together now, planning on going with homunculi to round out the group on forms since it sounds like we have a fantastic type and an animal type.

So in the setting are Ioun stones a thing and would calling my character an Ioun Wyrd in the high concept work? Currently I have it as Gemstone Construct to be more generic.
Apr 23, 2015 7:03 am
THEMeeple says:
So in the setting are Ioun stones a thing and would calling my character an Ioun Wyrd in the high concept work? Currently I have it as Gemstone Construct to be more generic.
I leave that up to you. I've never really user them in my D&D games, so they aren't really on my radar. I do think its a cool idea to have constructed a creature out of magically powered stones, as opposed to regular gems. In the end it just comes down to flavor and what makes the character shine for you. I will be happy to include Ioun stones as a thing in this world. It could even lead to some good conflicts in the story.
Apr 24, 2015 5:41 am
foolsmask says:
I leave that up to you. I've never really user them in my D&D games, so they aren't really on my radar. I do think its a cool idea to have constructed a creature out of magically powered stones, as opposed to regular gems. In the end it just comes down to flavor and what makes the character shine for you. I will be happy to include Ioun stones as a thing in this world. It could even lead to some good conflicts in the story.
Cool, I'll stick with the Ioun Wyrd then. I'm not relying on the stones being like the D&D/Pathfinder version pther than naturally being magical so they can have some wiggle room on power and value.

I have submitted a character sheet but will be continuing edits, just thought it'd be easier to get critique and feedback that way.
Apr 25, 2015 1:19 am
@THEMeeples...First, I love your Trouble. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Expect lots of thrives and wizards to try and scoop you up if you go I to a busy town or city. Second, I like the idea of the wealth based guild. That's in the story now. Finally, your growth stunt...I put a lot of thought into it and my best idea is this "Once per session you may Create the Aspect Human Sized Stone Creature with two free invokes." So basically once per session you can automatically "succeed with style" on a Create Advantage without rolling. Then anytime before you declare you shrink back down you can claim two +2 bonuses to any roll where you feel being a living human-sized statue made of actual stone would help you succeed. You get go choose when to use the bonuses, you can use both on one roll or divide them up into two increments of +2, they do not need to be used right away. You can hold them until you go back to your normal size. I likely wouldn't force you to do that unless we had an "End of Session" event. Also...while big you can spend Fate points to invoke the aspect again, just like it were a normal aspect.

So how foes that sound?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.