Character Creation Thread

load previous
May 4, 2015 9:05 am
As always, I really appreciate the input! To be honest I am still trying to grasp the game mechanics.. I never even considered framing the facts in the context of the action types. That's why my ideas are all over the place. It makes much more sense now, thank you! I will switch some things around.

Here's my question now: am I perhaps trying to do too much with Storm Mage, Portal Mage, and Artificer? Do you recommend I drop one?

Thanks again! :-)
Last edited May 4, 2015 2:24 pm
May 4, 2015 9:32 am
Could we maybe start playing while ironing out the last details for Jabes? Maybe he'll get a better idea when we played a little. We'll start slow with the meetup and introduction anyway.
May 4, 2015 9:57 am
chocokiko says:
Could we maybe start playing while ironing out the last details for Jabes? Maybe he'll get a better idea when we played a little. We'll start slow with the meetup and introduction anyway.
I'm cool with that :-)
May 4, 2015 12:21 pm
Yeah... I got busy over the weekend. By the time I got some free time to respond to Jabes, that was all the energy I had in me and I had to go to sleep. Firstpost ssoon in the new RP subforum
May 6, 2015 12:19 pm
So I'm thinking now that maybe I'm trying to do too much with Storm Mage, Portal Mage, and Artificer. I don't want to let go of Portal Magic but do you recommend I drop one of the others? What do you guys think? Thanks! :-)
May 7, 2015 12:08 am
Jabes.plays.RPG, I don't think it is too much to have all three. In my opinion the artificer role is great character background. It was a part of why your master had a familiar, to assist on his construct body. The aspect "It Ain’t Broke But I Can Fix It!" has some solid potential to help and hinder, and represents your history of helping your master. I'd personally make the storm magic the extras and the portal magic the stunts. I'm imagining the extras as things you gained from the shard of your masters power but you don't have complete control over, which is why you'd still be rolling on them. The portal magic as stunts are things you can do which is why you are the key to your masters tower, he built you to have this awesome power. Again just my opinion but RP wise this setup makes sense to me.
Last edited May 7, 2015 12:16 am
May 7, 2015 1:45 am
Is this thread freaking out for anyone else?
May 7, 2015 4:22 am
No? Freaking out how?
May 7, 2015 4:33 am
For like...two hours it would only show me the first page of this discussion. Only now am I able to see the individual pages again.
May 7, 2015 4:41 am
Well that's weird. Hopefully just a very short lived glitch.
May 7, 2015 4:55 am
Seems to be. And it was only this thread. So no big deal I guess.
May 7, 2015 6:46 pm
@Jabes, don’t know if ya want more feedback but I got started thinking and had a few more thoughts.

1. Artificer – It occurred to me that we have two homunculus types in the group, Diginus and Torbern, in my mind standard healing isn’t going to be effective on them so your role as an artificer could be akin to a medic for them.

2. Portal mage stunts – I realized that one of your stunts could combine the portal and storm magic, because you are a storm mage you have a connection to the elemental plane allowing you to open a door to it and call forth a storm elemental. For the other two I’d suggest being able to teleport just yourself to any location in your line of sight, and then one that allows you to create doors anywhere that can be used by anyone(perhaps spend a fate point for that power). For the usefulness of door magic I’d point to the character Blueno from One Piece, he has door based powers and makes interesting use of them in combat.

3. And Storm magic, to replace the summon elemental if you use it as a stunt why not be able to send your voice on the wind. It could be used to send messages to allies and as a kind of ventriloquism to confuse enemies.

4. I have no idea how you will plan to divide up your skills, I could see any of the six applying to just about all your abilities. Both a plus and minus I suppose.

Apologies if this is too much, it’s your character do what feels right to you. Just wanted to help out, and I kind of love character creation.
May 8, 2015 10:35 am
I'd agree with THEMeeple's suggestions. Diginus is very intriguing character with the complexity of his several roles, but I don't think he's reaching too broad for proper balance.

Considering changing around approaches so that Careful is Teasel's lead approach. I think it's better suited to her focus and the method of observing and interacting with spiritual phenomena.
May 10, 2015 3:47 pm
Thank you so much for all the input! Yes, I think I've got it straight now. So I've gone ahead and put Storm Magic in the Extras, and Portal Magic in the Stunts. I like the idea that Diginus has got Portal Magic & artificer stuff down pat because that's what he was created for but the Storm Magic still isn't fully in his control. In fact I think a good compel would be to have random weather disturbances unintentionally happening around him that could either help or hinder. Like maybe when he was on the River Swan he didn't mean to create that wind.

Please let me know if there is any fine-tuning or corrections needed on my character sheet. Thanks! :-)
Last edited May 10, 2015 4:36 pm
May 10, 2015 4:31 pm
Diginus looks good except for one minor point. You have 6 in your refresh. That should be 3. The formula is 6-(# of stunts you have) 3 is a good number to start with (and the general default) until you get more experience playing them. As you progress if you want to add more stunts you will have that option.

So just adjust that number and I'm happy.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.