Prologue: The Obligatory Inn

load previous
Apr 30, 2015 3:20 pm
Curious, Elandra thinks to herself, but decides to make no note of it to others. They hardly have the time or inclination to interview a number of half-drunk barflies, and there are other avenues open to them.
Apr 30, 2015 4:03 pm
"Yes, Dimal, find out where she has gonna. Her song was intriguing. There may be more to it and I would like to know if there is. And at the very least we should try to return this jewelry that was...left behind."

As her mage hand spell gathers the last of the moonstones onto the table, singer leans over them and recites magic phrase while making a qui k gesture. Her eyes flash a swirl of gold and silver light breifly, then she spreads the stones out a little, making sure she has viewed each one individually. Then she looks around the room before letting her gaze go back to the door where the woman exited.

((Casting Detect Magic. I'm specifically looking at the stones that she left, but if anything else in range looks interesting, let me know!))
May 1, 2015 4:17 pm
Singer's perception of the world slowly shifts under the influence of the detection spell. Her companions clothing and weapons begin to glow with faint aura's indicating the origin of their magic. The same is true of several others in the tavern - not unusual for a place which is a regular stopping point for adventurers of all stripes. The door and structure of the tavern itself does not glow, the structure itself is mundane and is not under the influence of any magical force. The beads, to which she finally turns her attention, glow in unison, their aura pulsing as one. It is an Enchantment aura. The aura around the beads is moderate in strength (this means that it is either a Magic Item with a caster level of 6th-11th and/or a functioning spell of level 4th-6th).
May 4, 2015 12:17 pm
(((Ooc - Using Spellcraft to learn more. For quick reference only...Spellcraft DC chart says 15+caster level to determine the actual spell effect. Requires close observation and handling of the item and 3 rounds time)))
Last edited May 4, 2015 12:18 pm

Rolls

Spellcraft - (1d20+17)

(11) + 17 = 28

May 4, 2015 1:26 pm
Singer peers at the aura around the moonstones and tries to discern the nature and effects of the Enchantment spell that has been placed on them. The aura weaves and turns in complex ways Singer has never before seen, the spell's origin is from a caster of much greater strength and ability than her own. The twisting and weaving makes it difficult to discern the nature of the spell and all she can determine is that the task is beyond her skill.
May 4, 2015 3:47 pm
"Ahh! Powerful magics. Enchantment. The singer, she mentioned moonstones...well A moonstone tear. Trismaya, Ninat, Relic & Austria. Do any of these names mean anything to anyone?" Singer carefully puts the moonstones piled in front of her into an empty pouch then place that bag into her larger satchel.
May 4, 2015 4:16 pm
(OOC Can I roll Knowledge: Religion to see if any of those names ring a bell?)
May 4, 2015 5:28 pm
DeusMalum says:
(OOC Can I roll Knowledge: Religion to see if any of those names ring a bell?)
(OOC Ditto?)
May 4, 2015 6:36 pm
((Sure - also with respect to these kinds of requests in the future, to save time instead of asking just make the rolls and post those with an IC description of what your character is trying to discern and what they are trying to draw on from their knowledge base. In fact, try to always include a bit of in character description with anything - I'd like to minimize the number of OOC only posts. So, two lessons:

1. Don't ask, just roll. It saves time. My answer is rarely going to be 'no' anyway. I'm a 'yes and' GM.
2. Avoid posting OOC only if at all possible. I'll create a new thread for OOC discussions to help alleviate this))
May 5, 2015 12:44 am
Elandra goes over several years worth of notes and books and tomes on religion that she's compiled in her head through her studies, plumbing the depth of her memory for any mention of Trismaya, Ninat, Relic, Austria, or Anat.

Rolls

Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+18)

(7) + 18 = 25

May 5, 2015 1:55 pm
The lore is quite esoteric, but Elendra had done a lot of reading in her lifetime. She was surprised to discover a few things. Ninat is revered by some as the spider goddess who bestows dreams upon the sleeping. Anat referred to a seraph, an angel. An angel said in much lore to have tears with magical properties, shed by the seraph in times of great distress. One text recounted a tale where Ninat revealed to Anat a vision through a dream, and afterwards Anat and her host shed many tears. Tears which were bound by Ninat's spider brood into a necklace. Those tears may be the very ones referred to in the song, the tears of Anat. Perhaps even the very necklace scattered on the table before them. Austra is more elusive. The only reference Elandra can recall is to the phrase 'goddess of fire' and the imagery of volcanoes and eruption along with it.

Trismaya is a name referred to obliquely in many texts. A story teller of some kind. A bard, weaver of tall tales, a woman of many names. Trismaya the mad, Trismaya the dreamer. Elandra is certain there is more to know about her, but that is beyond the ken of religion - no, Trismaya is, or perhaps was, a bard of some renown and it would be in another domain of knowledge secrets of hers would be stored.
May 5, 2015 4:21 pm
Dimal Nods and reaches across the table playfully snatching one of the stones from Singer. "this will definitely do the trick." He rolls it around in his hand for several minutes then starts to play his flute in a haunting though not unpleasant tune.

((use one charge of Scrying on his flute. Her save is modified is -4 for the stone that was her possession.))
May 5, 2015 4:35 pm
As he eats, Vorfix puts his feet up on the table. Given his height, they more or less reach up to his head. "Ah... some music, good companions, how could this go wrong?" He seems to get lost in thought as he fiddles with the key around his neck.
May 6, 2015 2:31 pm
Dimal's vision shifts, as it normally does when he uses the flute. The world becomes liquid-like and melts away, the colours twisting and blending together. Then something strange happens, his vision becomes foggy and unclear. The sensation reminds him of dreaming. There is a sound, but he can't discern what it is. Then, suddenly, he wakes.

From the other's perspective the bards eyes had glossed over and then his grip on the flute loosened, letting it fall into his lap. He remained still, staring into space for a few moments before suddenly his eyes cleared and he bolted to attention. It was as if he had woken suddenly from a deep sleep.

The spell did not work. All Dimal was certain of was that she was no longer on this plane.
May 6, 2015 3:41 pm
Elandra's eyes widen. "I've heard some of those names before. A moment," she says, grabbing another book out of her bag, this one brown-covered and aged, the letters written in blocky black ink. She thumbs through it quickly, flipping between a number of passages, before saying, "Ah, here we are. Anat is the name attributed to an angel whose tears have some form of magical property to them. Ninat is a spider goddess of dreams, who allegedly tricked Anat into shedding tears, which were bound up into a powerful magical necklace. As to the others, I have but sparse accounts and rumors, vague notions that need not be repeated."

She glances at the broken necklace and the beads. "Could it be?" she whispers, awed.
Last edited May 6, 2015 3:46 pm
May 6, 2015 8:45 pm
"Wow, that hasn't happened in a while... Sorry ladies and Gents she is no longer on this plane" Dimal packs his flute away and polishes off his tankard. As he stands up to stretch he waves over a barmaid and deposits the empty tankard on her tray. "Fill that for me would you lass." He flashes a winning smile that makes the barmaid blush and hurry away.

"Give me a second to think about any of the old ballads that might have mentioned the exploits of our query."

(( knowledge checks for plane that she disappeared to as well as to see if I recognize any of the names as well ))
Last edited May 6, 2015 8:46 pm

Rolls

Knowledge: Planes - (1d20+11)

(8) + 11 = 19

Knowledge: History or Religion - (1d20+11)

(9) + 11 = 20

May 6, 2015 10:38 pm
"If you get a different name, friend Dimal, let me know - I have ingested a number of more esoteric texts."
May 7, 2015 9:01 pm
Dimal recalls reading something, in fact many things, about Trismaya. There are many stories of her in the bardic histories, she was a bard of some apparent renown. Her life frequently intersected with other heroes, in fact those very heroes who, in the bardic lore, are said to have possessed a tear of Anat. Many of those heroes were those named in the song that the strange woman played before vanishing to another plane. Ayrawn, Mabharo, Tianet, Dorhendr and even Trismaya herself, said to possess the moonstone tear. The tales were often regarded by the bard's as more fiction than fact, but Dimal knew even fictional tales were based upon something true.

He has no insight into what plane she may have gone to, except, perhaps, the lingering sensation of a dream.
May 12, 2015 4:12 pm
"Anything of value?" Elandra says patiently. This is all progressing rather more quickly than she'd expected when she'd arrived for their reunion. She'd assumed they would meet, bunk for the night, and look for fortune and glory in the morning. Having an opportunity drop out of the sky mere moments after their arrival wasn't strange, by the standards of the lives they'd led, but she hadn't seen it coming either.
May 12, 2015 9:20 pm
Dimal comes out of his introspection slowly and with some concern on his face. "the name Trismaya is quite common in Bardic lore, which is one of the reasons for my long pause... Forgive me for that. Her path intersected with several other renowned adventures, much like our group with the exception that she favored the company of those that possessed the tears of Anat. Most were mentioned in the song heard just a few moments ago. Unfortunately there is not much more to tell. I have also never encountered the plane that she disappeared to which in and of itself is of interest to me."

The bar maid returns with Dimals freshly filled tankard and deposits it in front of him. Dimal flashes another winning smile and waves the young lass along. As he slowly leans back and takes another drink he surveys his companions and wonders what they have gotten themselves into with this new undertaking. "I'm always ready to start a new ballad. This seems like a great opportunity to get into some trouble if we want to solve the riddle that is the song we just heard."
load next

Thread locked