Edge of Fantasy

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 24, 2017 2:25 pm
Hi.

I have recently been playing with the idea of running an Edge of Empire game. Recently I found this Fantasy Hack as well as this Other Fantasy Hack.

Don't know if anyone's played around with these? If so, are they any good?

Would love to run a fantasy game using the Edge of the Empire rules. I was thinking of maybe running one of the Pathfinder Adventure Paths or just create something myself.
Feb 24, 2017 4:52 pm
I'd love to participate in this!

Might I suggest this hack tho?

http://www.redshirtdown.com/kingdom/

I've heard good things and it seems to have a high production value, which is a good sign too IMO.
Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm
I'm very curious, as I know absolutely nothing about FFG Star Wars as a game system: What's so great about this system that you would fantasy hack it instead of just playing an actual fantasy RPG?

I always just assumed people played these games because they want to roleplay in the world of Star Wars, but onviously there's more to it than that, so I'd like to know what.
Last edited February 24, 2017 5:02 pm
Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm
Well, so the custom dice that everybody bags on were used to create a narrative facing, unified mechanic that has roughly 3 "axises" of results, yet plays quickly (w/ a smallish learning curve - 3-6 sessions? depending on the player):

1. Standard dice-pool mechanic, success/fail
2. Dis/Advantage mechanic, allowing you to "fail-forward" or "succeed-but..."
3. Triumph/Despair/Destiny/Narrative mechanic, that allows you to influence the storytelling and/or worldbuilding and/or narrative through your roll.

All actions (combat, slicing/hacking, social, mental/mechanical, etc.) are resolved the same. i.e. The pool is built iin the same way, so it's very easy to learn and use. And any single action is resolved, start-to-finish (including all 3 above axes) with one roll. No: roll to hit, roll to dodge, roll for damage - all one roll. Yet it manages to incorporate the enemies ability to dodge in that roll.

It has a metacurrency economy that furthers the players narrative influence, as well.

And last but not least, it has a fantastic character creation/advancement system that is an elegant mix of skill-based (for that freeform character concept) and class-based (so that PCs are thematic and have direction for advancement for new players) that is satisfying and captures the Star Wars lore very well.

Basically, it's the best rpg ever (for me). :D
Last edited February 24, 2017 5:22 pm
Feb 24, 2017 6:38 pm
Ooh... Sky Wars looks very interesting—thanks emsquared
Feb 24, 2017 6:57 pm
Right? Happy to spread the word.

That m an you'd be interested in getting in on a fantasy game in the FFGSWrpg system? :P
Feb 24, 2017 7:23 pm
I'm interested in getting in on this, really keen to see how the system plays in a non-Star Wars setting
Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm
emsquared says:

I've heard good things and it seems to have a high production value, which is a good sign too IMO.
That looks really good. Looks like we have a winner.
Feb 24, 2017 7:49 pm
I would definitely be interested in trying this out.
Feb 24, 2017 8:03 pm
I feel like this is going to be amazing... but unfortunately, I am way overcommitted :(
Feb 24, 2017 8:26 pm
So, I am thinking of either doing something original or running one of the Pathfinder Adventure Paths to give it some structure. I have Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne and Iron Gods. Got the last one in a recent bundle so haven't read all of that one yet. Do anyone have any preferences?
Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm
Whatever you're comfortable with, and interested in.
Feb 24, 2017 9:25 pm
I'd say go for whichever you're most comfortable and familiar with, especially if you're going to have to rework encounters and stats for things into a system the adventure wasn't originally designed for
Last edited February 24, 2017 9:25 pm
Feb 24, 2017 9:32 pm
emsquared says:
Whatever you're comfortable with, and interested in.
Same. I've not played or read any of those so any will work with me.
Feb 24, 2017 9:53 pm
emsquared says:

This one does seem boss

I'd love to be a part! I am ridiculously busy, so I cant learn new systems nearly as often as I'd like. But I could play a game like this, with a system I know well, easily!
Feb 24, 2017 10:10 pm
I can say that this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. The EotE system seems like it'd be so good for a gritty, lethal fantasy system. I'm in too many games at the moment, or else I'd join, but I'm certainly interested in seeing how this goes
Feb 24, 2017 11:35 pm
emsquared says:
Well, so the custom dice that everybody bags on were used to create a narrative facing, unified mechanic that has roughly 3 "axises" of results, yet plays quickly (w/ a smallish learning curve - 3-6 sessions? depending on the player):

1. Standard dice-pool mechanic, success/fail
2. Dis/Advantage mechanic, allowing you to "fail-forward" or "succeed-but..."
3. Triumph/Despair/Destiny/Narrative mechanic, that allows you to influence the storytelling and/or worldbuilding and/or narrative through your roll.

All actions (combat, slicing/hacking, social, mental/mechanical, etc.) are resolved the same. i.e. The pool is built iin the same way, so it's very easy to learn and use. And any single action is resolved, start-to-finish (including all 3 above axes) with one roll. No: roll to hit, roll to dodge, roll for damage - all one roll. Yet it manages to incorporate the enemies ability to dodge in that roll.

It has a metacurrency economy that furthers the players narrative influence, as well.

And last but not least, it has a fantastic character creation/advancement system that is an elegant mix of skill-based (for that freeform character concept) and class-based (so that PCs are thematic and have direction for advancement for new players) that is satisfying and captures the Star Wars lore very well.

Basically, it's the best rpg ever (for me). :D
Sounds awesome! Thanks! I wish I had the time and the headspace to learn a new system, otherwise I'd give this or FriarTuk's or McNeil5's EotE-for-noobs game! One of these days...
Last edited February 24, 2017 11:44 pm
Feb 25, 2017 6:22 am
Freeform Universal has a SUPER easy d6 system for varying the success/fail outcome. I use this with my 6-year old all the time!

Does X succeed at Y?
6 = Yes, and...
5 = Yes.
4 = Yes, but...
3 = No, but...
2 = No.
1 = No, and...
Last edited February 25, 2017 6:23 am
Feb 25, 2017 11:17 am
I went ahead and made a game. You can find the game here.

I will start it out with the Rise of the Runelords adventure path and see where it takes us from there.
Feb 25, 2017 8:38 pm
I applied.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.