The Runes of Oblivion [Game Thread]

Apr 28, 2015 8:36 am
The decision to leave your home and go out for adventures is still fresh in your mind. Your gear is still blinking new and unused and your new boots hurt as they are not worn in yet. You have been walking a few rather boring days and your rations begin to run low as well as your purse. Time to finally get some work or find an opportunity.
This part of the realm has not seen much exitement in decades and the lord is ruling well enough to keep his people fed and bandits at bay.
Following along the worn out merchant's trail you took though the peaceful hilly landscape you see a small village in the distance. Approaching further you spot the appropriately names "Forest’s Edge" hostel at the roadside. In fact it is the first building of the village and seemingly the only remarkable one. You only give the small farming cottages a small glance. Chickens and cats running between them a fwe farmers working in the fields. This is exactly what you have known all your life. It bores you. It sucks!
At least you'll get some beer and something to eat here. Maybe there is even some news.
You dust off your clothes and enter the inn though the inviting open door...
Apr 29, 2015 2:35 pm
Veldebrand adjusted his rucksack with a sigh. "Terrific, another podunk village. Well, my feet are killing me." he said while stretching his arms out high. He cautiously sniffed his armpits as he finished his stretch. "...and I could use a bath" he muttered under his breath.

Veldebrand dusted off his gold bead-studded maroon robes, a last vestment of his time in the Wizard Circle of the Vestrach Merchant Guild. The beads were laid out in a pattern that matched the constellations, and supposedly the connection heightened one's mental connection to ley lines of magical power, increasing one's mental acuity. Such fetters were important to Veldebrand, who continually sought after greater magical ability. Rabbit feet and other fetters dangled from his belt, magnetized rings and bracelets adorned his fingers and arms - anything rumored to increase physical and meta-physical ability was quickly adopted by the young sorcerer. Since he chose to follow the path of what the other mages in the Guild called 'Black Magic" he was ostracized and removed from the Circle. That didn't matter now, on the road with his new found companions. A world of freedom and adventure awaited.

As they entered the tavern, Veldebrand rummaged around in his coin purse, finding just a few silver remaining. Looking at his road weary companions he smiled "One of you buy the first round? Deal!"
Apr 30, 2015 7:35 pm
After a long day of walking a true man from the north needs a beer. Rollo still isn't used to the warmer climate here. His dog Flossi also has his tongue out of his mouth.
"Man, I need a beer!" he thinks to himself. "and Flossi needs a drink, too."
Sure enough, soon they step out in the forest with the village right ahead.
The sign of the inn puts a sparkle in his eye and he steps into the welcoming shade without hesitation.
Apr 30, 2015 9:22 pm
Grapthor opens his eyes and raises his head from the table where he'd been asleep with his war-hammer as a pillow. His beat-up backpack is beside him, though a little worse for wear after having had ale spilled on it. He checks his purse out of habit and finds it empty. It's all starting to come back to him: spending nearly all his coin on ale, and then losing the rest of it dicing. He'd even lost his damn dice.

Grapthor turns bleary eyes towards the sound that had roused him. A human in ostentatious robes and coiffed hair. A mage of some sort. Fancy boots dusty from the road. Chattering to his companions, ordering a round of drinks. Grapthor's stomach grumbles. He licks his lips.

The door to the inn opens again and in walks a man with a dog. Grapthor watches and listens from his booth.
Last edited April 30, 2015 9:30 pm
Apr 30, 2015 10:40 pm
Barekeln has been sitting alone at his table for a while now. He still has not touched his ale in front of him, fidgeting with his holy symbol instead, lost in thought when he is suddenly brought back to reality by the noise of new patrons entering the inn. Looking around he sees the two humans enter and another dwarf, this one surly-looking, which also seems to have spotted the new patrons. Hmm, perhaps adventurers? Travelling companions would not be a bad thing as the company would help Barekeln take his mind off of things, and who knows, perhaps they'd be in need of the service of a priest... He waits for them to take their seat and rest from the road a bit before making his move.
May 1, 2015 9:02 am
The scene of the inn slowly fades to black...

Rolls

Stuff happens... - (1d20)

(12) = 12

(12) = 12

(12) = 12

(9) = 9

(9) = 9

May 1, 2015 10:29 am
Rollo, Graphtor and Veldebrand slowly awake from deep unconsciousness. Their last memory is that of entering the inn.

They find themselves in total darkness lying on a hard and smooth stone floor covered in a thick layer of dust. The air smells stale and old but dry. Veldebrand feels some kind of parchment in his hand. Rollo and Veldebrand both hear other creatures stirring nearby.

They have no clue on how much time has passed and apart from the memory gap are in perfect health.

Up to now only Graphtor is able to see his surroundings with his darkvision. He is situated in a 5x5 meter chamber. The walls, floor and ceiling consist of smothly hewn stonework of very good quality. There is a 3m wide passageway to the west. The trails of 4 men and a dog come from that direction and end at your bodies. Nothing else seems to have disturbed the thick layer of dust on the floor.
There are two closed wooden doors to the north and to the south. On the east wall is a lifesize relief of the blind godess of justice but holding an hourglass instead of a sword. Her blindfolded face seems to always stare at you.
There are two human men, another dwarf and a dog lying on the floor closeby. They are total strangers to you. The two humans are stirring, the dog and the dwarf are still unconscious. The robed human holds a parchment in his hand. It looks like a roughly scetched map of an unknown area.

OOC: None of you have any idea who the others are or why you are here, whereever here is...
The next bit happens in about one minute increments. When the conscious characters described their minute the others can roll 1d20 against BOD+CO to awake.
Rolling less or equal is a success. For D&D players: Criticals and fumbles are switched. Critical on a 1, Fumble on a 20. All checks are against attribute+ability (+ Modifier). All rolls are 1d20.
May 1, 2015 11:09 am
Veldebrand scratches his head "Damn. Must have over served myself again last night."
The wizard digs into his rucksack for a torch, lighting it with a flare of flame from his fingertips. Looking around, he notices the parchment. "If this is the bar tab I'm giving it to the dwarf before he wakes up."

Veldebrand opens the scroll and reads.
May 1, 2015 11:22 am
Sadly Veldebrand doesn't find a torch in his backpack. He didn't seem to have thought of buying some. Maybe some of the other guys around him have one...
May 1, 2015 12:43 pm
Grapthor scrambles to his feet and grips his warhammer. He calls out angrily to the robed figure, "Hey you, fancy-pants! Where in the bleeding hells are we?! Did you do this? Did you bloody bring us here?!"
May 1, 2015 1:01 pm
"Don't look at me, shorty. I'm as lost as you are. Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a torch would ya? I have a scroll here in my hand I could light but I have a feeling we'll need it." Veldebrand says as he waves the scroll towards the sound of the dwarf's voice. "So, how'd we get here? I was just heading into that inn and now I wake up here."
May 1, 2015 1:26 pm
"What, can't you see me?" Grapthor waves his hand in front of Veldebrand's face "Oh that's right...human."

"I haven't the foggiest idea how we got here. I saw you and you," Grapthor says, pointing a stubby finger first at Veldebrand and then at Rollo, "walk into the damn inn and the next bloody thing I know, we're here."

Grapthor turns back to Veldebrand and points at the scroll, "You want me to read that fer ya?" He glances at the unconscious dwarf and human, and Rollo's dog. "I wonder if they're dead?"
Last edited May 1, 2015 1:35 pm
May 1, 2015 1:51 pm
"Yes, please" says Veldebrand as he hands the scroll to the dwarf. He then holds his hands out feeling for a wall, but reluctant to move too far lest he discover a trap the hard way.
May 1, 2015 1:56 pm
Barekeln attempts to Wake Up (MND+IN) with all the noise... Edit: Oh, BOD+CO, sorry, I went a bit too much by the rules and looked at p.36 for the waking up check... XD

1d20
( 20 ) = 20

Hmm, the dwarf must appear quite dead to onlookers... XD
Last edited May 1, 2015 2:26 pm
May 1, 2015 2:06 pm
OOC: I guess Grapthor's next action is either checking the bodies or reading the parchment. In either case I think we're waiting for Rollo's actions first unless the GM says otherwise :-)
May 1, 2015 2:16 pm
Rollo shakily gets up and scratches his head. He turns to his backpack and soon has a torchin front of him and is striking sparks from his flint and steel. Shortly after he holds up a burning torch and looks arount him with a questioning look. When he sees his Dog still on the ground he steps over and concentrates on waking it first. "C'mon Flossi! Whats up with you?" he mumbels.
Last edited May 1, 2015 2:16 pm
May 1, 2015 2:20 pm
OOC: Barekeln already fumbled for this minute...

Rolls

Flossi wake up (BOD+CO) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 1, 2015 2:33 pm
Grapthor squints at the parchment Veldebrand has handed him and reads...
May 1, 2015 2:43 pm
It is a roughly scetched map. In the lower right corner you find a spot marked "Forest's Edge" A large forest is detailed with an "X" somewhere towards the middle, northeast of the inn. A legend next to it says "Fandorai's hideout at the foot of Fir Mountain near Silent Pond - 4h on foot"
At the bottom in curly handwriting you read "Nude - Troll - Red and Black"

OOC: Veldebrand will recognize the last bit as his handwriting.
May 1, 2015 3:30 pm
Now that a torch has been lit Grapthor hands the map back to Veldebrand. "What do you make of it?"

Grapthor walks over to the still unconscious dwarf to check if he is still alive.
May 1, 2015 3:35 pm
He is breathing regularly. Rollo is still looking after the dog...

OOC: Time for the next round... +1 this time
Edit: Oops that should have been -1 but worked anyway

Rolls

Flossi wake up - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Barekeln ware up - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

May 1, 2015 3:35 pm
Barekeln's eyes slowly flutter open...
May 1, 2015 3:45 pm
Hmm, what... Where am I... The last thing I remember was being at the inn and... I saw you there, and you... and you as well...

Oh, I'm sorry, where are my manners; my name is Barekeln Stoneforge, priest of... Hmm, priest of the Firstdwarf.
May 1, 2015 3:46 pm
"What did I do last night?" Mused the wizard as he pondered the scroll. "Looks like we were given instructions, directions to a place and we are after a naked troll?"

In the light of the torch, Veldebrand gets a better look at his surroundings and companions.

"I am Veldebrand the All Powerfull. Tamer of the Untamable Flame"
Last edited May 1, 2015 3:48 pm
May 1, 2015 3:54 pm
"All powerful eh? How about you power us out o' here?"

"Looks like we're bloody in this together, like it or not. Call me Grapthor. Now I wager we weren't bleeding dragged out here on mules and I can't have hit my head that hard to forget coming here. I'm way too hardheaded anyways. So I'm bettin' we were magicked." He looks at Veldebrand & Barekeln in turn. "Which one o' you did it?"
Last edited May 1, 2015 3:59 pm
May 1, 2015 4:11 pm
Rollo slowly gets up and picks up Flossi on his arms. He turns to the others.

"I'm Rollo and thats Flossi. Anyone of you a healer? I'm more of a practical guy..."

He flexes his enormous tattooed biceps without changing posture and looks expectandly at Barekeln.
May 1, 2015 4:42 pm
Ah yes, that I am. What seems to be the problem with the poor dog...

Barekeln pesses his hands on the dog and casts Healing Touch on it.

Rolls

Healing Touch CTN 12 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 1, 2015 5:14 pm
Opens his eyes and sniffs.
"Woof?"
And proceeds to lick Rollos face with wildly wagging tail.
May 1, 2015 5:15 pm
OOC: I'll just rule that works so we can go on :-)
May 1, 2015 5:29 pm
Well, it seems we're all in this together... whatever "this" is. So I suggest some quick introduction so we know who we are and what we can do so we can quickly work on some sort of plan to get out of here. As I said previously, I am Barekeln, a priest and healer. Grapthor seems like a skillful fighter, and I assume you...

He turns to Rollo

I'm sorry, I did not got your name, but you seem like a forestman of sort. Am I wrong to assume this? And then there is our magician friend over there...
May 1, 2015 6:19 pm
"I am Rollo, a warrior from an island of fire and ice so far north it does not have any trees. I am at home at sea. I have wandered far. This is Flossi the only companion left from my home."

Rollo has a big wooden club reinforced with iron bands hanging from his belt and a round wooden shield strapped to his backpack.
He wears leather bracers and greaves a leather vest and brown rough linnen pants that are tied to his calves with leather straps.
May 1, 2015 6:21 pm
Veldebrand waves off the dwarven cleric. "Oh, we can have chit-chat later. I think it best everyone arm themselves, if we are looking for a troll - and a naked one at that, we had best be ready." He then positions himself close to Rollo and has a look around the room.

Rolls

Searching (8+1=9) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 1, 2015 8:02 pm
You are in a 5x5 meter chamber. The walls, floor and ceiling consist of smothly hewn stonework of very good quality. There is a 3m wide passageway to the west. The trails of 4 men and a dog come from that direction and end at your bodies. Nothing else seems to have disturbed the thick layer of dust on the floor.
There are two closed wooden doors to the north and to the south. On the east wall is a lifesize relief of the blind godess of justice but holding an hourglass instead of a sword. Her blindfolded face seems to always stare at you. You realize that this is a masterpiece of sculpting that evokes an optical illusion without any magic. It seems a dwarven and elven artist have pooled their creativity for this effect.

Nothing else to be found in the chamber itself.

OOC: Please be specific how you are searching and where. And when rolling please list the attribute and trait.
May 1, 2015 9:26 pm
Seems we came here... willingly? This is indeed odd, I have no knowledge of our coming here. Perhaps you are right friend, maybe we already did introduced ourselves earlier and it will come back to us later, but I thought it would be better that we know what each one of us is capable of before we start exploring this death trap willy-nilly... I'm sure my other dwarven compatriot will agree that this place smells of death and despair...

His confidence slowly returning.

I suggest we go explore the way we came in, see if we can still easily get out of there in case of an emergency, and perhaps find some more clue as to what might have brought us here...

(OOC: so if I understand well, the party consists of 2 fighters and 2 mages?)
Last edited May 1, 2015 9:30 pm
May 2, 2015 1:26 am
"Seconded, dwarf. Roland? Rodrick? Rollex? Lead the way, back the way we came! I'll be right behind you!"
May 2, 2015 4:34 am
OOC: Yes, 2 Fighters 1 Healer 1 Mage
May 2, 2015 5:00 am
OOC: If Rollo and Flossi are taking point then Grapthor takes rear guard.
May 2, 2015 12:43 pm
Rollo puts Flossi down and comands "Guard!". He draws his club and shield and proceeds into the archway with caution.
May 2, 2015 12:44 pm
Flossi is all attention and tension now. He follows his master sniffing. His ears turn from side tu side listening for the slightest sound.
May 2, 2015 12:47 pm
The passageway is only 2 meters deep but 3 meters wide. It is made of a darker stone. At its ends you look on another wall to the west but you find narrow passages leading to the north and south.
Your footsteps come from the north.
May 2, 2015 1:07 pm
"So we walked in here and fell under some sort of magical slumber. We also lost our recent memories... Did we encounter someone in the room we awoke in?" Veldebrand thinks aloud as he studies the floor carefully, looking for tracks of others in the archway.

Rolls

Read Tracks (MND 8 + IN 1) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

May 2, 2015 1:10 pm
"Well, as far as I could tell there were no tracks in the dust other than our own. There was that statue but no one paid it no mind.."
May 2, 2015 1:11 pm
OOC: Nood question: how do you guys know what the target number is for those skill checks?
May 2, 2015 1:18 pm
OOC: Just roll under or equal to your stats. That is a general success. If you roll without being prompted I will apply modifiers after the fact. If I tell you to roll I might tell you a modifier depending on the situation. On opposed rolls the higher successful roll wins.

Veldebrand doesn't find any tracks in the dust apart from the party's. However there seem to be some tiny runes ner the floor in the passageway. They look magicky.
May 2, 2015 1:19 pm
Sneeses from sniffing the dust too closely.
May 2, 2015 1:22 pm
"Hmm.. what do we have here?" Veldebrand mutters and he inspects the strange runes. The sorcerer closes his eyes and waves his hand over them feeling for the telltale signs of magical power...

Rolls

Detect Magic (MND 8 + AU 2) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 2, 2015 1:54 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC: Nood question: how do you guys know what the target number is for those skill checks?
(OOC: As Dex said in the metagamer anonymous thread, all rolls in DS4 use the formula "Attribute + Trait + various bonuses" and you try to rool equal or under that. A good example of such checks are your combat values (ex; MAT which is equal BOD + ST + WB of the melee weapon used.) Seep p.36 of the pdf to see a list of actions your character can perform and what Attribute + Trait combination they use...)
May 2, 2015 1:58 pm
Very well Rollo. I'll be right behind you in case you need my help or fall in a trap... Hmm, speaking of traps I'm not exactly trained in that , but I guess I can try my best at finding them.

Since their tracks shows they've came through the northern passage mostly unmolested, Barekeln will attempt a Search check on the southern passage to see if he spots any traps.

Rolls

Search check in southern corridor (MDN+IN) CTN 10 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 2, 2015 2:19 pm
Veldebrand feels a very light tingeling in his fingertips when touching the runes. They seem quite out of juice. He may now attempt to analyze the magic (MIN+AU).
Barekeln doesn't find any traps in the first 2 meters of the southern passage. After that the passage makes a sharp turn to the east.

OOC: Further rules questions and discussion please into the metageme threasd. I 'll answer all questions there. Here I'll put some notices for the new players if i feel a new situation comes up but I'll keep that to a minimum, too.
May 2, 2015 2:23 pm
Veldebrand senses the magic in the runes and places his fingers upon them to know the nature of their purpose.

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND 8 + IN 1=9) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

May 2, 2015 2:30 pm
If Veldebrand invented this spell he would have probably called it "Runes of Oblivion". It is a powerful amnesia spell triggered by anybody walking past the runes. The victim forgets everything apart from natural reflexes (breathing, heartbeat etc. ) including drinking and eating. Luckily the runes were almost out of power after the decades this place seems tho be abandoned. Else you wouldn't have just lost days or hours of memory but would have starved to death without even noticing.
This looks like a nice non lethal burglar trap to the mage and the former inhabitant seemed to think the same. And the Godess of Justis in the chamber before is surely a joke on intruders the owner of this place liked a lot.
May 2, 2015 2:32 pm
Rollo checks the first part of the northern passage to be sure.

Rolls

Checking for traps (MIN+IN=10) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 2, 2015 2:34 pm
The nordic warrior doesn't find anything unusual either. The northern passage also makes a sharp turn to the east after 1 meter.
May 2, 2015 3:30 pm
After explaining the trap to his companions, Veldebrand put his hand to his chin in thought. "Hmmm. The nature of this trap makes me question the notes we apparently wrote earlier. I don't think a troll would have the wits to avoid the runes and judging bybthge dust, no one has been here for some time." the sorcerer declared as he folded his arms in satisfaction at his deductive reasoning.
May 2, 2015 3:57 pm
"No troll footprints for sure. What next?"
May 2, 2015 5:51 pm
"Lead us to the exit, warrior...better to know our way out before going through one of those doors!"
May 2, 2015 9:53 pm
Indeed Veldebrand. If we got here, then we were hired for some job. Those notes about the troll probably have to do with something else deeper in this ruin. Perhaps another trap our employer knew of and wanted us to avoid, or some treasure he wanted us to find... either way, we'll find out eventually. Let's be on our guard and continue towards the exit. The sooner we have a clear way out of here in case of emergencies, the easier I'll be breathing...
May 2, 2015 10:09 pm
Rollo cautiously peeks around the corner of the northern passage.
May 2, 2015 10:14 pm
Rollo sees the passage leading 5 meters to the east before taking another bend to the south. It is quite empty.
May 2, 2015 10:15 pm
"Nothin here but more dust."
He walks down the passage and peeks around the next corner.
May 2, 2015 10:19 pm
Behind the corner the passage leads 6 meters to the south before turning west. There is another passage leading east three meters in.
Your trails come from there. You can smell wet earth from this direktion
May 2, 2015 11:14 pm
kalajel says:
Indeed Veldebrand. If we got here, then we were hired for some job. Those notes about the troll probably have to do with something else deeper in this ruin. Perhaps another trap our employer knew of and wanted us to avoid, or some treasure he wanted us to find... either way, we'll find out eventually. Let's be on our guard and continue towards the exit. The sooner we have a clear way out of here in case of emergencies, the easier I'll be breathing...
"Heh if it's a bloody job then I better be gettin' paid!"
May 3, 2015 1:09 am
"Runes that make you forget....a place that is rather forgettable." Veldebrand yawns as he rummages through his rucksack for his pipe and weed. He lights the bowl with a point of magical flame from his fingertip. "I could use a drink, you have any communion wine, healer? Or would it be beer?" he smiles, blowing a smoke ring.
May 3, 2015 2:01 am
No, though we dwarves tend to use communion ale, not wine. But I have none of that either. Perhaps we'll be lucky and find something good to drink deeper in the ruins, though I won't hold my breath...
May 3, 2015 2:28 am
Grapthor's stomach grumbles. "I could eat a bloody sewer rat right now if I had any bleedin' ale t' wash it down with!"
May 3, 2015 1:26 pm
Rollo comes around the southern passage and stands expextandly behind the other players, Flossi at his side.
May 3, 2015 7:18 pm
Enjoying another draw from his pipe, Veldebrand turns to Grapthor..."Do you feel this corridor is just a big circle...or square. Why not cut straight through the rock?" The sorcerer then feels the northern wall of the southern passage for secret doors.

Rolls

Search for secret doors (MND 8 + IN 1) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 3, 2015 7:35 pm
:-) Cold hard stone wherever you feel. No secret door that you can find.
May 4, 2015 11:10 am
Grapthor hefts his warhammer onto his shoulder. "Well, have we found the bloody exit? Are we exploring this place or not? Because if we're just standin' around here like fools I'd rather be headin' back to town to see about a bleedin' mutton pie & maybe some beer."
May 4, 2015 1:13 pm
"Perhaps we need to prep a bit, does anyone remember if that town we came into had a provisioner? I could use some basics, hammer, spikes, torches." Veldebrand said rather embarrassed.
May 4, 2015 1:33 pm
"I would get me some bleedin' rations if I had any brains, and some coin." grins Grapthor. "Mebbe I should find me a job back in town and come back in a few weeks."
May 4, 2015 2:58 pm
"I was thinking of just a quick run into town. We are most likely getting paid for whatever it is we were sent to do here. Might be nice to find out who employed us as well. Any other ideas?" the sorcerer asked while puffing on his pipe, the smoke curled around his head.
May 4, 2015 3:49 pm
Perhaps once we find the exit, we'll find a mule laden with equipment and rations; I doubt the old me would have accepted to go on an expedition without preparing... Well, I believe this hallway should take us towards the exit...
May 4, 2015 5:11 pm
"Well, what're we waitin' for then?" Grapthor shoulders his way through to the front of the group and makes a beeline for what appears to be the exit.
May 4, 2015 5:20 pm
Graphtor finds what he is looking for. Following a short passage to the west he finds a wooden trapdoor leading to the outside.
It is well hidden between some bushes in a small valley near the pond.
May 4, 2015 5:43 pm
Grapthor peers through the bushes to see if anyone or anything is about...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(4) = 4

May 4, 2015 7:58 pm
Graphtor doesn't find anybody and there do not seem to be any animals around. The only sounds are the rusteling of a soft breeze in the leaves and distant birdsong. The "Silent Pond" is aptly named.
There are no fresh tracks around the entrance. It has rained over night and washed away your tracks.
May 4, 2015 8:03 pm
Grapthor pokes his head back in the trapdoor & calls out softly to the rest of the party. "Exit's this way, folks!" He turns to Barekeln, "Your mule's gone with all the ale."
Last edited May 4, 2015 8:06 pm
May 4, 2015 8:09 pm
"Back to town then for a few supplies? Lets also try to find out who gave us this information on the scroll" Veldebrand says as he squints, adjusting to the sunlight.
Last edited May 4, 2015 8:09 pm
May 4, 2015 8:11 pm
Well, obviously it wasn't a dwarven mule... So, what's next? Should we explore the rest of this ruin or try to go back to the inn which is who knows where and how far. At least in here, we have protection against the elements...
May 4, 2015 8:18 pm
"Our map here seems to say we are 4 hours on foot from the village, friend dwarf." Veldebrand points to the map.
Quote:
It is a roughly sketched map. In the lower right corner you find a spot marked "Forest's Edge" A large forest is detailed with an "X" somewhere towards the middle, northeast of the inn. A legend next to it says "Fandorai's hideout at the foot of Fir Mountain near Silent Pond - 4h on foot" At the bottom in curly handwriting you read "Nude - Troll - Red and Black"
May 4, 2015 8:25 pm
"I'm for exploring the ruin right now but we certainly look ill-equipped. I haven't any coin though, so the town's no bloody good to me unless you folks are willing to give me a loan against my cut of this treasure. All I need's some ale & good dwarven hardtack and I'll be all set. OTherwise, I'll have to eat my armor."
Last edited May 4, 2015 8:49 pm
May 4, 2015 9:39 pm
It seems all we're missing are torches. I do have some coins left to purchase those if need be. But I assume we already had this discussion prior to our amnesia and voted against buying torches for some reason... I guess to avoid us an 8 hours trek (4 hours there and then 4 hours back), we could see about using the surrounding wilderness to try and make ourselves a few makeshift torches, and then explore the ruins to remedy Grapthor's money problems...
May 4, 2015 10:51 pm
"Perhaps there is some dead wood around"
May 4, 2015 11:10 pm
Barekeln looks around for materials to make torches such as dead wood and dried leaves, grass, or vines.

Rolls

Search check (MND+IN) CTN 10 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 5, 2015 12:58 am
"Just like the Dreiental Scout days of my youth!" Veldebrand made the scout sign and smiled as he joined the hunt.

Rolls

Search for torch stuff (MND 8 + IN 1) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 5, 2015 5:21 am
Rollo takes out two more torches from his backpack and hides behind his back " Why does nobody ask me?" he presents the torches and laughs...
May 5, 2015 5:55 am
Barekeln and Veldebrand easily find suitable branches but vines are rare. You also know that for a good torch you need a wick, mostly some cloth and fuel to burn, usually wax, tallow or tar, none of wich is readily available in the middle of the forest.
May 5, 2015 1:38 pm
"With the remainder of our current torch and these two, we have about 5 hours of light. Let's get moving and explore. If we run out of torchlight, half of our number will be blind. I can set things afire with my firebeam spell but it will not duplicate a torch's light or duration."
May 5, 2015 2:39 pm
Grapthor shrugs, "Bloody dried leather for dinner then. Let's get to it!" He shimmies back through the trapdoor.
May 5, 2015 3:43 pm
Barekeln makes his way back to the 5m x 5m room, the one with the relief of the Goddess of justice and two two doors. He then turns around, hoping the rest of the party followed him there...

So, north door, or south door? I'll put my vote on the north door.
May 5, 2015 3:50 pm
"Sounds good to me" Veldebrand smiles. He then closed his eyes and whispered an incantation, bringing the firebeam spell into his mind. It was all the sorcerer could cast, having left the mage's circle only recently. "Hopefully, we'll find some scrolls in here" he sighed as he got into place behind the warriors.
May 5, 2015 4:18 pm
When everybody is ready, Rollo opens the door. And looks in to the room beyond. Rollo thinks to himself "I hope to find some action here, I'm gettin bored"
May 5, 2015 4:25 pm
Onward, brave adventurers, lies a dark musty corridor. It leads 3 meters north and antoher 3 meters west until it opens into a 4x4 meter room. There is a closed door to the west in the northwest corner. In the flickering light of the torches you see a fireplace with smoke vent. Various implements of torturing ... ... vegetables are on display. You have found the kitchen. Dunn, dunn, dunn!
There is a kitchen counter on the north wall. All is covered in decades of dust. No food is to be found. Apparently the kitchen was left clean.
May 5, 2015 5:10 pm
"it seems like you could cook your leather here" Rollo grins to Grapthor
May 5, 2015 5:47 pm
I doubt we'll find anything interesting here, but I guess it won't hurt searching...

With this, Barekeln examines the fireplace.

Rolls

Search check (MND+IN) CTN 10 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 5, 2015 6:15 pm
Indeed Barekeln finds that the former owner of this place left his kitchen in perfect order when he left. No traces of ashes or trash and no left over food anywhere. Under the layer of dust everything is perfectly clean.
May 5, 2015 6:19 pm
"Old Mother Hubbard..." Veldebrand sang quietly as he ran his finger along the counter, looking at the dust.
May 5, 2015 6:56 pm
"That dog of yours is starting to look tasty," Grapthor jests in response to Rollo.
May 5, 2015 7:04 pm
"Growl!!!"
It sounds much like "You, too, dwarf!"
May 5, 2015 7:24 pm
"Rollo, door. Do your thing" Veldebrand points to the door in the northwest corner.
May 6, 2015 10:46 am
Rollo takes his club and opens the door carefully.
May 6, 2015 10:52 am
He shines his torche into the room with his other hand
May 6, 2015 12:04 pm
Rollo is looking into a pantry. Dhis is where food would be kept if there was some. Apart from the dust the shelves around three walls of the room are completely empty. The room measures 3x4 meters and has no other exits.
May 6, 2015 1:13 pm
Veldebrand, looking frustrated, searches the western wall for secret doors. He is seeing if shelves move, and looking for telltale seams in the wall.

Rolls

Secret Door Search (MND 8 + IN 1 = 9) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

May 6, 2015 1:45 pm
Grapthor knows a thing or two about kitchens. He looks around at the size and style of the furniture and cupboards, as well as the cooking implements left behind, trying to discern what manner if creatures used to live here. Men? Dwarves? Goblins? Something else?

He also checks the back of the hearth and the kitchen floor for secret doors.

Rolls

SEARCH (MND 6 + IN 0 = 6) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 6, 2015 1:48 pm
Veldebrand finds no secret doors in the pantry...

Grapthor judges that the occupant(s) of this hideout are humanoid. All furniture and implements look like the ones the humanoid races use.
Probably they are too plain for elven craft. They tend to make everything very ornate.
Dwarfs usualy tend to more sturdy tools and furniture than these.
Orks and the like do not reach that level of sophistication in their simple tribal cultures. They use only crude tools.
The furniture is larger than dwarven size but not huge. Looks like the height he is used from places frequented by humans and elves.
May 6, 2015 2:09 pm
"No naked red and black troll in here. Back to the southern doorway then?" Veldebrand sighs as he wipes the dust off his hands onto the back of Grapthor's shirt as if he's congratulating the burly dwarf.
May 6, 2015 5:37 pm
Indeed. Next time we should probably wait until we run out of regular doors before searching for secret doors...
May 7, 2015 5:19 pm
"I'm loosing my patience! My club is thirsty for blood! Let's go!" grumbles Rollo. He takes point as usual, and marches back to the first chamber. he opens the door and peers inside.
May 7, 2015 5:24 pm
Behind the door is another hallway leading 2 meters south and ending in a T intersection leading east and west.

OOC: I assume the others follow Rollo.
May 7, 2015 6:03 pm
"West?" Veldebrand offers as he waits patiently behind the warrior.
May 8, 2015 7:02 am
You stumble over the unconscious body of an elf... Seems like the amnesia spell set in for him a little later but the effects last longer.

OOC: We have a new player. He is new to Dungeonslayers. Please all help him along. I'll send him the character today and he'll wake up as soon as he is ready to go.
May 8, 2015 1:06 pm
Veldebrand throws some water from his waterskin onto the elf's face. "Wakey wakey"
May 8, 2015 2:30 pm
I'd like to know how she managed to get further into the dungeon than we did, and why she closed the door behind her, but she'll most likely not remember it...
May 8, 2015 3:18 pm
"Huh?! Who's there?" Farandor rolls to the side in alarm, reaching for one of his spears. "Can't an elf take a nap in a dungeon anymore without someone spraying water in his face? Or did I get knocked out... the pain in the skull would indicate the latter... I need some fresh air"

"Who are you?" Farandor indicates at the party...

OOC: Greetings team. I'll have an avatar soon, there was a bug when I was trying to upload it.
May 8, 2015 3:33 pm
"Perhaps the rumor that elves do not sleep is true and the spell affected him differently. Regardless, I am Veldebrand the flame maker, of Vestrach and these are my retinue. We are in process of restoring my new dungeon workshop here."
May 8, 2015 5:04 pm
"Wow I expected a troll and now I have an elf. I am Rollo by the way. What happen to you?"
May 8, 2015 5:14 pm
OOC: @Farandor: You have the same menories or lack there of as all the others. Please reference the first few posts on that.
The last thing you remember is entering the inn for whatever reason.
May 8, 2015 5:35 pm
My name is Barekeln. I am a dwarven priest and healer. Oddly enough, I do not remember you from the inn... which means you most likely joined later, in the period of time which was affected by this dungeon's trap... Oh, and sorry for thinking you were a woman; I often make that mistake with elves... It's... a dwarf thing...
May 8, 2015 6:30 pm
"So, are you good with that bow?" We've encountered all manner of dusty counter tops and vacant shelves so far..."
May 8, 2015 7:45 pm
"Tragically, it seems I've lost my bow. And my arrows, quite curious. I'll have to settle for these spears, but they've stabbed me quite a few meals in my time."

Turning next to Barekeln, smiling "No worries Master Dwarf, I'm sure we all look the same crumpled in a heap on a dusty floor"

"Rollo, I can't say for sure what happened to me, but I'm certainly glad that you hesitated long enough to not to give me the troll treatment"

Farandor stands up and dusts off his tunic. Straightening suddenly, as if remembering, he turns to the group: "Wait... the inn! Did you try the house brandy as well? Maybe that would explain the headache. Either way, the exit's not about to come find us, I say we get moving."
May 8, 2015 9:25 pm
Actually, we already found the exit and know we're 4 hours away form the inn thanks to a note in Veldebran's possession. We figured we were all hired to do a job in these ruins, so we decided to come back in and explore... which allowed us to find you. Perhaps we should keep exploring these ruins, who knows how many other "friends" we'll end up finding...
May 8, 2015 10:00 pm
"Well then, if that's the case I could use some extra gold. But I'm staying behind him." Farandor gestures toward Rollo.
May 9, 2015 7:53 am
"Let's go, follow me brave adventures!" Rollo turns west and follows the corridor
May 9, 2015 8:16 am
The now five adventurers reach another room after 2 meters. The corridor ends in the northeast corner of the room. It is 4 by 3 meters large and has another door in the middle of the west wall. There is a wooden shelf on the north wall in the northwest corner. A large workbench nearly covers all of the south wall. Under the dust you find a complete set of laboratory equipment. Everything looks very tidy.
May 9, 2015 11:54 am
Veldebrand pushes past the warriors. "Let an expert investigate this one, I think we have a wizard's workshop here" as he inspects the workbench and all the equipment. The sorcerer is hungry for things that will increase his wizarding knowledge and magical power and it is quite evident by his sudden lack of concern for traps and other dangers.
May 9, 2015 1:07 pm
The lab equipment is in working condition. Just dust it off and it is ready to use.
On the shelf you find:
* 1 Box with 24 pills
* 1 orange potion
* 2 green potions
* 4 blue potions
* 1 dictionary

OOC: LOOOT :-D
May 9, 2015 2:54 pm
Veldebrand picks up the box of pills and attempts to see if a magical aura is upon the little things.

If he succeeds, he touches one understand their purpose.

Rolls

(1) = 1

Identify Magic (MND + IN 1) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 9, 2015 2:56 pm
"With these potions, we can simply taste them to get an idea of their purpose. Just a taste, now. Anyone interested?" Veldebrand says as he offers the differently colored vials out to his companions.
May 9, 2015 3:05 pm
Allow me to try to discern their magical purposes first. I am a mage as well, after all...

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 9, 2015 3:07 pm
There is definately ambient magic in this room. Bit it's quite diffuse to you at this point. To find out more you should probably concentrate on one item at a time.
May 9, 2015 3:26 pm
(OOC: Oh, okay, very well then. Let's assume my first roll was for the box of 24 pills, since as full-fledged mages, we should already know this is how magic works, right?)

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on orange potion - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on first green potion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on second green potion - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on first blue potion - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on second blue potion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on third blue potion - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on fourth blue potion - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on dictionary - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 9, 2015 3:42 pm
The pills are magical.
The orange potion are magical.
You cannot feel magic from the green potions.
The blue potions are magical.
The dictionary is not magical but educational :-) Try using it for its intended purpose...

(Only one roll per type. If you fail the character may not try again. Sorry for not clarifying)
Identifying magic always is a two step process. One to feel the magic aura and one to analyze it.
MND+AU for feeling magic then MND+IN to analyze.
I won't have you reroll at this point :-)
May 9, 2015 3:51 pm
(OOC: Oh yes right, sorry, I assumed that since Dex's character had already sensed magic I would not need to do it as well, but okay, I can live with this judgement call. :D )

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the box of pills - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the orange potion - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Identify Magic (MND+IN) CTN 10 on the blue potions - (1d20)

(13) = 13

May 9, 2015 4:01 pm
The Pills heal 2 HP each.
The orange potion is a potion of shapechanging making you superstretchy for d20 minutes.

OOC: It is already very easy to identify magic and it is possible at 1st level. I do not intend to make it even easier. IN D&D you needed to learn & prepare the spell... I don't know if it was 1st level but anyway you had 1 spell slot at 1st level. So 1 identify and you're out of juice for the rest of the day.
On the other hand I will always reward creativity. If you have a crazy idea I will likely let you try and give you a chance.
May 9, 2015 4:09 pm
chocokiko says:
The Pills heal 2 HP each.
The orange potion is a potion of shapechanging making you superstretchy for d20 minutes.

OOC: It is already very easy to identify magic and it is possible at 1st level. I do not intend to make it even easier. IN D&D you needed to learn & prepare the spell... I don't know if it was 1st level but anyway you had 1 spell slot at 1st level. So 1 identify and you're out of juice for the rest of the day.
(OOC: Yeah, I sort of understand your sentiment; I was already wondering how useful the Detect Magic and Identify Magic spells in the book were, but if you are limited to only 1 try per item, no matter how many items such items there are, then I guess it would help make such spells a bit more useful...)

Well, Those pills can heal minor wounds, and this orange potion makes you super stretchy for a small amount of time, but I cannot discern the use of the green or blue potions. Veldebrand, mind giving it a try as well?
Last edited May 9, 2015 4:11 pm
May 9, 2015 4:10 pm
"Those look interesting, what of the green ones? Pass one here" Farandor will take one of the green potions, take off the topper and smell it, then taste a little bit, assuming he gets no vehement objections...
Last edited May 9, 2015 4:30 pm
May 9, 2015 4:13 pm
Wait Farandor, let the mages safely identify the potions before risking poisoning yourself...
May 9, 2015 4:40 pm
"Very well, Master Stoneforge" Farandor leans on his spear waiting for the mages to do their work. "I suppose this'll have to do." He reaches down and grimaces as he takes a pull from his waterskin.
May 9, 2015 6:52 pm
Veldebrand takes a look at one of the green potions

Rolls

(12) = 12

Identify Magic (MND + IN 1) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 9, 2015 6:55 pm
No luck on the green potions :-)
May 9, 2015 7:24 pm
Very well then, feel free to take a sip Farandor; I'll be right behind you ready with a healing spell in case things go wrong...
May 9, 2015 8:01 pm
Farandor grabs the bottle without hesitation, pulls the stopper and takes a quick, small sip...
May 9, 2015 8:39 pm
veldebrand tries to sense the nature of the blue potions.

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND 8 + IN 1=9) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

May 9, 2015 9:06 pm
Farandor suddenly feels a lot lighter. He judges that it might be difficult to stay on the ground if he drank the whole vial. These are potions of levitation.
Veldebrand needs to feel the magic aura himself to be able to analyze it.

OOC: Keep the roll and give me the other :-)
May 9, 2015 9:08 pm
studying the potion...

Rolls

(9) = 9

May 10, 2015 3:03 am
"If there are any steak and potatoes pills or ale in them vials, give 'em here. But if it's all wizarding stuff, I'll pass." Grapthor yawns.

"Hey Rollo," Graptor calls to the Northman, "What sort of dog is that? Did you know that some of the bloody northern hill tribes are fond of dog stew? I tried some once. Damn tasty, but it didn't agree with my stomach. Bloody dogs barked at me for a week. They must've smelled the damn stuff on me."

While the mages are doing their work Grapthor walks over and tries the still unopened door.
Last edited May 10, 2015 4:32 pm
May 10, 2015 6:28 pm
"Whoa... Am I floating? I feel like I might be floating..." Farandor looked down to check the contact his feet were making with the ground. He looked slightly disappointed that he was still touching the ground.

"These will come in handy, I could rain spears from elevation, or our mage friends could do whatever it is they do with their magics. Mind if I hang on to one?"
May 10, 2015 6:33 pm
@Veldebrand: You sucessfully identified the blue potions as cooldown potions. They will shorten the time until you can use a spell again.

@Grapthor: The door is not locked. Do you open it?
May 10, 2015 6:43 pm
"That is a northern breed the tribes there call 'Husky'. He will very much resent you trying to eat him. Most likely he will eat you first. We were through some fights together. You should never underesimate any of us. We are eager and ready to fight although we don't make many words about it."
Rollo flexes his well shaped tatooed biceps.
Then he readies his weapons again and joins Grapthor at the door.
May 10, 2015 7:00 pm
"Don't worry, Flossi, I very much prefer cat dumplings with soy sauce. Have you tried it, Rollo? Excellent eastern delicacy. Bloody good."

Grapthor throws the door open.
May 10, 2015 7:50 pm
Veldebrand pockets his share of the cooldown potions, leaving the flying or levitation potions for the warriors. "The tome and alchemy set should probably stay here for now, agree Barekelin?" He then notices the warriors queuing up at the door and moves to join them.
May 10, 2015 9:19 pm
As he pockets his own cooldown potions.

Well, I guess you do have a point for the alchemy set, those thing can be quite bulky, but a single tome? Well, I guess it will not suddenly sprout legs and run away...
May 11, 2015 4:41 am
Who will carry the rest of the potions?

Rolls

Something happens (11) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 11, 2015 4:44 am
Behind the door is an old storage room of 3x3 meters. The floor is covered by a pile of junk mainly consisting of old broken furniture.
You see a chair mising some legs, btoken shelves etc.
May 11, 2015 4:51 am
OOC: I took one of the green (levitation) potions. If someone wants it, Farandor will probably be open to sharing ;)

Farandor stands behind Grapthor and looks over his shoulder into the room beyond, clutching his spear. "Well... that looks like some awfully wooden furniture in there... We best be careful"
May 11, 2015 5:11 am

Rolls

(9) = 9

May 11, 2015 5:14 am
Grapthor feels a searing pain in his head. He clutches his skull and screams out unvoluntarily.
Also he looses 1 point of MND.

OOC: We are going on in combat rounds.
May 11, 2015 5:20 am
Initiative count:
Farandor: 13
Flossi: 9
???: 8
Rollo:6
Barekeln: 6
Grapthor: 4
Veldebrand: 4

Farandor is up. Rounds are 6 seconds I think so only very short speeches :-)
May 11, 2015 5:32 am
To be... or not to be... jk
Farandor looks around furiously for the source of Grapthor's anguish, no way he's just had a sudden migraine he thinks to himself.

OOC:Farandor will try to find a warm body to kill in response to Grapthor's suffering. Assuming he's in the next row behind the fighters, he will move right, and should he see a target he'll engage.

Rolls

RAT in case of viable target. RAT=15 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 11, 2015 6:02 am
No target is visible to Farandor at this point. But in his eagerness pull out a spear Farandor stumbles. The spear gets caught in some crack in the floor and breaks with a snap.
May 11, 2015 6:02 am
Flossi shoots forward and scratches at the pile of junk furiously. He is constantly growling and snarling.
May 11, 2015 6:50 am
???'s turn...

@Veldebrand: roll to defend if successful...

Rollo's turn...

Rolls

(15) = 15

May 11, 2015 10:15 am
"Flossi, let me see what is there" Rollo moves up to the pile of furniture and pulls into the side the first piece.
May 11, 2015 10:18 am
Rollo tosses a broken chair to the side but you'll have to remove more pieces to get to the boittom of this pile.
Barekeln's turn is up now.
May 11, 2015 12:55 pm
OCC: Going into meetings. For my turn:

Veldebrand watches the dog and his owner. "They must know something I don't" he shrugs and joins in on going through the pile of junk.
May 11, 2015 4:54 pm
(OOC: Rounds are actually 5 seconds. 12 rounds a minute.)

Barekeln helps Rollo clearing out the pile of junk quicker, hoping to find as quickly as possible what is causing Grapthor's headache...
Last edited May 11, 2015 4:57 pm
May 11, 2015 5:14 pm
3 pieces of junk gone but you are not at the bottom yet.

Next up Grapthor...
May 11, 2015 8:12 pm
Staggering and muttering curses, Grapthor tries to see through the haze of pain.

Rolls

PERCEPTION to see invisible foe or WTF is causing this... - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 11, 2015 9:32 pm
"Gods! Make it stop!"

Rolls

If I see a target. MAT = 16 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 12, 2015 4:22 am
Flossi continues to scratch at the pile barking and snarling.
May 12, 2015 4:35 am
@Grapthor: after a moment the pain is gone again.

??? - Barekeln looks tasty, too.

Rolls

??? does something (11) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Barekeln's defense (11) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 12, 2015 4:49 am
Farandor, slightly shamed after his spear breaking debacle, will enter the room and assist in searching through the junk.
May 12, 2015 4:51 am
Nothing happens to Barekeln this time...
Rollo is up next...
May 12, 2015 5:01 am
"Let's see, maybe another one" Rollo moves another piece of junk.
May 12, 2015 5:08 am
Finally you remove the last piece of the pile and reveal...

...a big jar that somehow survived the collapse of the shelves and the decades. In it floats a tentacled brain that somehow also survived the years and years of imprisonment.

http://summerisle.wdfiles.com/local--files/adventure-log/TentacledBrain

Barekeln is up again...
May 12, 2015 5:34 pm
Quickly thinking.

That thing sensed us without seeing us...

Barekeln grabs the jar and opens it, freeing the creature so that everyone can attack it normally.
May 12, 2015 5:47 pm
The tentacled brain slowly floats to eye level.
Grapthor's turn.
May 12, 2015 5:53 pm
Roaring angrily, Grapthor heaves his warhammer with both hands and tries to brain the thing.

OOC: Yeah, pun TOTALLY intended.

Rolls

MAT = 16 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 12, 2015 6:06 pm
Grapthor turns the brain into minced mush with a single mighty blow. Everyone within the room gets splattered with grey matter.

OOC: The fight is over, we return to normal adventuring mode.

Rolls

Tentacled defense (5) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 12, 2015 6:46 pm
"Whoa...my beautiful mind is saved! Looks like that tentacle brain wanted junk food, eh Grapthor?" Veldebrand pats the dwarf on the back. "Don't worry, old boy, we'll find a healer in town who can restore that noggin"
May 12, 2015 7:27 pm
"Eeeewwwww what a mess! That stinks! Also literally! When I wanted blood i didn't tink of this. And I didn't even get a hit. C'mon Flossi we need to clean up." Rollo wipes his face and shakes the goo from his fingers. Then he tries to clean Flossi.
May 12, 2015 7:28 pm
Flossi yelps and shakes his fur violently just as Rollo is kneeling down over him. He sprays Rollo again fith all the goo from his fur.
May 12, 2015 7:31 pm
"Argh! You crazy mutt! What are you doing?! Lets go outside and have a short wash in the pond."
May 12, 2015 7:33 pm
If nobody objects I'll handwave a short trip to the entrance and a refreshing dip into the icy cold water of the silent pond.
You clean up and return to the laboratory.
May 12, 2015 8:17 pm
Barekeln will examine Grapthor, finding no visible wounds...

Sorry brethren, I'm afraid my healing spell cannot take care of whatever wound this thing inflicted on you, but Im sure that after a good night's sleep, you should be as good as new...
May 12, 2015 9:16 pm
Farandor will follow the others to the pond, then feel amazing after a bit of fresh air and cool, cleansing water. When they return to the room, he'll poke around in the debris in case there are any other curiosities hiding amidst the wreckage.
May 13, 2015 12:10 am
Grapthor rubs his pate, "Feels like that thing shaved some off my top!" He follows the rest back to the store-room but doesn't join in the rummaging. Instead, he stands in the north-east corner and scans the room warily.
May 13, 2015 5:16 am
The rest of the store room is just filled with broken furniture. Nothing interesting left here.
May 13, 2015 5:58 am
"Onward, then! Which way? That damn thing seems to have messed with my bloody noggin." Grapthor exits the store-room and without waiting for Rollo & Flossi to take point, leads the way east down the yet-unexplored hallway.
May 13, 2015 6:07 am
Grapthor reaches a 3 by 4 meter room that probably was a librabry. To the south is a U shaped shelf 3 by 2 meters lining the south walls of the room. Decayed books and scrolls fill the shelf. in the northwest corner is a 1m high statue of bright white marble. It depicts a reading nude. There is a door to the north on the northeast corner.
May 13, 2015 7:04 am
"I imagine the bloody mage and the priest will want to tarry here a while," Grapthor sighs. He walks up to the statue and studies the stonework with interest.

OOC: Does the statue provide any clues as to the nature of this place and our mission?
May 13, 2015 7:33 am
No, it is merely decorative. The owner of this hideout seems to be educated and value education. He also appreciates art. With the evidence from the kitchen you judge a human mage lived here. And there was a name on the map veldebrand has. If you like fill in the details :-) (Gender, race, pose etc.)
The statue seems valuable but is quite heavy. You wouldn't be able to lift it yourself. Maybe with a helper on each corner you could move it slowly.
May 13, 2015 10:49 am
Veldebrand inspects the books and scrolls. "If this fellow was an apothecary, perhaps there are spell scrolls to be found!"
May 13, 2015 11:17 am
Most of the books crumble through your fingers as you touch them. The following books are still readable:
* Knight and Troll
* Cronk the Barbarian,
* Etymology, Ecology and Biology of the various Types of Garden Slugs,
* Chromatics
* Elven cookbook

You find 4 Scrolls:
* Halt!
* Arrow of Darkness
* Magic Shield
* Levitation

OOC: Note on scrolls: They are single use only no matter if you memorize the spell or cast it. For memorizing level limits etc apply. For casting not! You can cast higher level spells from scrolls. Scrolls are not water- or fireproof etc... Your backpack is rainproof but submerging it is bad for its contents. Common sense applies as usual. :-)
Non magic users may not use scrolls. They can only utilize stored charges of a spell in magic items.
May 13, 2015 1:48 pm
Veldebrand looks quite excited at the scrolls, shuffles through them, hands half to Barekeln and stuffs his share in his rucksack. He waves off the books. "This is finally getting good. Lead on, stout dwarf!"
Last edited May 13, 2015 1:49 pm
May 13, 2015 1:52 pm
Grapthor stomps over to the door, and hesitates only a moment, growling, before kicking it open.
May 13, 2015 4:21 pm
Farandor settles himself behind Grapthor and Rollo, readying a spear for any dangers that may lurk beyond the door.
May 13, 2015 4:56 pm
Beyond the door lurks another corridor that leads 4 meters north and ends at another door to the east. Grapthor kicks that one open, too and stands in a quite empty room. It is 3 by 4 meters and has doors to the north and to the south in the middle of the respective walls. There is a masterful painting of a dragon on the east wall.
May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Taking his share of spell scrolls.

Say Veldebrand, what did your note was saying? Something about a nude, troll, and red and black? Seems we have a statue of a nude here, and a book with "troll" in its title... Could our "employer" have asked us to bring him back certain pieces of art and books from this place?
May 13, 2015 5:17 pm
"It's possible. I say we take everything that we can lug out of here. Perhaps our employer is an art aficionado and will buy more of it?." Veldebrand ponders as he walks along with Barekeln. "The layout of this place is interesting. Maybe we can make this our home base...assuming the original owner is no longer with us..."
Last edited May 13, 2015 5:17 pm
May 13, 2015 5:34 pm
Oh? Are we starting a guild or something?
May 13, 2015 6:28 pm
Grapthor pauses in the center of the room with the painting. While waiting for Veldebrand and Barekeln to catch up, he turns to Farandor and uses his hammer to gesture roughly at the artwork. "How much d'ye reckon that's worth? Buy us a coupla kegs at the bloody least!"
Last edited May 15, 2015 3:18 pm
May 13, 2015 6:43 pm
Farandor grins at Grapthor's estimation. "Aye, depending where we ended up we could probably get a stake in a tavern for the gold art such as this would fetch"

Farandor will approach the painting and inspect it carefully.

Rolls

Perception - Base 8 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 13, 2015 7:42 pm
Perception: Yes it is a beautiful painting.

Appraisal: Absolutely worthless.

Rolls

Farandor's Appraisal (MND+IN) (4) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 13, 2015 7:53 pm
"Let a more discerning eye have a look" Veldebrand says as he appraises the value of the painting.

Rolls

Appraise (MND 8 + IN 1 = 9) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 13, 2015 7:54 pm
Farandor reaches out and smells the painting... "Hmm, sorry to say it Grapthor, but upon closer inspection, we'd have to scam someone pretty thoroughly to get any coin for this one. Maybe we could get a few flagons for it." Farandor looks at the painting again, hesitates, then nods to himself; quite sure of his appraisal of the piece.
May 13, 2015 8:06 pm
Hmm...

Rolls

Appraise painting (MND+IN) CTN10 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 13, 2015 8:27 pm
Veldebrand judges the painting to be worth about 200GP and Barekeln thinks it is about worth 150GP...
May 13, 2015 8:29 pm
"Well, it's worth more than the 8 silver in my pocket!"
May 13, 2015 8:31 pm
"If you say so." Farandor looks doubtful.
May 13, 2015 9:40 pm
I guess we'll have to trust the merchant once we get back in town. for now, lets leave the artwork where we find them, so they won't get damage in a fight and lose value. We can always pick them up later when we leave this place.
May 14, 2015 12:19 am
"I once took a job guarding a rich man's art collection. I thought I'd be guarding it against bloody thieves but at sundown the man locked the damn gallery tight and told me, 'Just don't let anything out!'"

"That night I saw nuthin' but there were horrible noises from inside: moanin' and scratchin', and a bloody awful slitherin'. Thank the gods that bloody lock held!" Grapthor ends his tale with a shudder.

"Well then. Shall we continue?" He strides towards the northern door and glances at Rollo, "You wanna take this one?"
May 14, 2015 5:18 am
"Yes, come on, let's doing, and see if we find another master piece or another little brain as apettizer, because I am a little hungry like you" Rolllo opens the next door very carefully and his club firmly in his hand. Flossi stands behind him. "Ready for action?" he asks Grapthor.
May 14, 2015 5:55 am
Grapthor nods, "Let's do it."
Last edited May 14, 2015 5:56 am
May 14, 2015 6:03 am
After another 3 meters of corridor you reach another bare 3 by 4 room. There is a life size granite statue of a knight on the north wall.
A huge set of sturdy iron reinforced double doors is set in the west wall.
May 14, 2015 8:22 am
Grapthor inspects the knight statue, looking if any heraldic symbols, family crests or other symbols, or even the style of armor & weaponry match any heroic legends he might know of. This roll will go badly but oh well...

Rolls

KNOWLEDGE (MND+IN) = 5 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

May 14, 2015 8:44 am
Good roll :-) But it doesn't have distinguishing marks. It is made of gray granite holding sword and shield. Other than the nude in the library this statue looks bulky and plain, almost crude. Its features are more stylized than masterfully cut from the stone. the surface is rough. It reminds you of a guardian statue you sometimes find at temple or cemetary gates.

http://www.burgundy-canal.com/v/images/malin_statue.jpg
May 14, 2015 10:29 am
Remembering the paintings-come-to-life in the tale he just told Rollo, Grapthor decides to leave the knight statue alone.

He now regards the heavy iron doors. He itches to bust right through them but remembers the tragic story of the adventurer Leeroy Jenkins and decides to wait for the others to catch up and form some semblance of a plan.

Grapthor chuckles to himself. He has always been more brash than cautious. "I must be gettin' old," he mutters.
Last edited May 14, 2015 10:31 am
May 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Veldebrand looks at the statue and attempts to see if it is magical.

Rolls

(13) = 13

May 14, 2015 3:40 pm
Yes, I've also heard of stories of animated statues... Perhaps I should help Grapthor keep an eye on it while the rest of you guys check if those iron doors are locked and/or trapped...
May 14, 2015 5:37 pm
"I'm no thief but i do have a keen eye, perhaps I can spot something suspicious on the door" says Veldebrand as he walks over to it and inspects it visually.

Rolls

Search for traps (MND 8 + IN 1 =9) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 14, 2015 5:42 pm
Rollo tries to push open the doors
May 14, 2015 5:43 pm
The doors appear to be locked.
May 14, 2015 5:49 pm
Rollo tries to smash open the door.

Rolls

smash (BOD 8 + STR 4) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 14, 2015 6:10 pm
"No plan then huh? Suits me just fine!" Grapthor smashes his hammer against the doors

Rolls

SMASH DOORS. BOD (8) + STR (4) = 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

May 14, 2015 6:17 pm
Grapthor makes a dent in the door. Doesn't seem very effective but it is a start.
But upon damaging the door you hear a grinding scratching noise behind you as the Statue comes to life and raises its sword...

Initiative:
* Flossi (9)
* Rollo (6)
* Barekeln (6)
* Clay Golem (6)
* Grapthor (4)
* Veldebrand (4)
May 14, 2015 6:18 pm
Flossi tries to bit the statue and yelps as the stone is too hard for his teeth. He hides behind rollos back and doesn't participate in this fight.
May 14, 2015 6:33 pm
Rollo moves behind the statue and tries to knock it over.

Rolls

Knock it over (BOD 8 + ST 4) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 14, 2015 6:40 pm
Rollo rams the statue's back with his shoulder.
The statue doesn't budge and Rollo gets a nice bruise.

He takes 2 HP of damage.
May 14, 2015 8:14 pm
Barekeln will move behind Rollo and wait, delaying his action, judging that the warrior might be in more need of healing after the statue hit him than right now for a sore shoulder...
May 14, 2015 8:43 pm
Farandor starts as he realizes he's been lost in his head playing out the scene with the dragon before him. "Really too bad this thing is worthless." He looks around the room, quite amazed at how empty it had become. He thought he could hear noises coming from down the hall, so he picks up his spear and casually enters the hall looking for the rest of his party.
May 15, 2015 3:50 am
Whirling around to face the stone guardian, Grapthor lets out a belly laugh that ends in a defiant roar. His hands tighten their grip on his warhammer. "C'MON!" he yells at the oncoming golem.
May 15, 2015 12:17 pm
Look there is a dwarf in front of the golem... He swings his sword in that direction.

OOC: Sorry Grapthor...

And hits him squarely with a crushing blow. Grapthor takes 16 points of damage.

Rolls

Golem attack (16) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Grapthor defense (14) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 15, 2015 1:13 pm
Veldebrand takes aim with his hands and a bolt of flame erupts from them, streaming towards the terracotta killer.

Rolls

Firebeam (CTN 15 + 2 (Large opponent) = 17) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 15, 2015 1:15 pm
Duh forgot defense

Rolls

Golem Defense (DEF 13) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 15, 2015 1:35 pm
OOC: Nice shot :-)

Golem takes 16 damage. Next up Barekeln who delayed his action.
May 15, 2015 3:28 pm
Noticing his fellow dwarf got hit instead of Rollo, Barekeln heals him instead.

Rolls

Healing Touch CTN13 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 15, 2015 7:04 pm
Grapthor grunts as Barekeln's healing takes hold and strength returns to his arms. He sidesteps and slams his hammer into the golem's side.

Rolls

Melee Attack (MAT 16 + Large Opponent 2 = 18) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

(4) = 4

May 15, 2015 7:13 pm
Grapthor does another 14 damage...

OOC: Sorry I messed things up this time... I'll post a new initiative list. New round new luck... I need to make new character lists tomorrow. It seems you would have managed something bigger...

* Farandor(13)
* Rollo (6)
* Barekeln (6)
* Clay Golem (6)
* Grapthor (4)
* Veldebrand (4)

So it is Farandor's turn now.
May 15, 2015 8:48 pm
Farandor will rush up the hallway until he can get a shot and let fly with one of his spears at the golem!

Rolls

RAT=15 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Golem def - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 16, 2015 6:45 am
Farandor scores 6 points of damage. Rollo is up.
May 16, 2015 6:56 am
Rollo lets out a furious warcry, takes a step back and charges the golem swinging the club with all his might against the enemy.

... and misses again.
Last edited May 16, 2015 6:56 am

Rolls

Attack (13) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 17, 2015 10:48 pm
(OOC: Um, I guess it's my turn now...)

Barekeln waits again, delaying his turn until someone needs healing.
May 18, 2015 5:38 am
There is still a dwarf in front of the golem.

Grapthor doesn't duck deep enaough an dets hit for 5 points.

Next up Grapthor...

Rolls

Clay fists of striking (16) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Grapthor ducks... (14) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 18, 2015 10:15 am
Completing his maneuver to end up behind the golem, Grapthor strikes again with an overhand blow to the thing's head.

Rolls

Melee Attack (MAT 16 + Large Opponent 2 + Attack from behind +2 = 20) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

(6) = 6

May 18, 2015 10:55 am
Grapthor smashes the golem to little pieces. The fire in its eyes dies.

OOC: Fight over... An foe factor of 8 for you guys with a cumulative level of 5 is too low for an end boss i guess
May 18, 2015 1:16 pm
Veldebrand breathes a sigh of relief.

OCC: Dice are very fickle in DS. They favored us THIS TIME.
May 18, 2015 2:17 pm
Grapthor, breathing heavily, licks the blood from his cut lip and grins, "That went well, I think! Even though I am now bloody half-dead! Let's get these bleedin' doors open so I can get some damn ale in this belly o' mine!"

Grapthor starts hammering on the door again, all the while muttering, "If only we had a lock picker in this damned group. Hey Flossi, you wouldn't happen to be good with locks, would you?"

Rolls

Repeatedly smashing doors. BOD (8) + STR (4) = 12 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 18, 2015 2:39 pm
Dextolen says:
Veldebrand breathes a sigh of relief.

OCC: Dice are very fickle in DS. They favored us THIS TIME.
(OOC: Indeed. I'm actually surprised Grapthor did not die since the golem kept hitting him...)

Being at the ready, Berekeln heals Grapthor again.

Rolls

Healing Touch CTN13 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 18, 2015 2:43 pm
Farandor enters the room, and plucks his spear out of the now lifeless mass of clay. He them settles in to watch the fighters work on the door.
May 18, 2015 2:59 pm
Grapthor gruffly thanks his fellow dwarf for the healing. now that his strength has returned, his blows on the door begin to land even heavier.

[OOC: The golem hit me twice, for 16 & 5pts. My full hp is 22. It was close. If it hadn't been for Barekeln healing me for 10hp in the middle of the battle I might be dead now]

Rolls

Repeatedly smashing doors. BOD (8) + STR (4) = 12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

May 18, 2015 6:24 pm
Grapthor is very effectively producing sweat and very uneffectively scratching the door...
These doors are century old, stone hard thick oak reinforced with broad iron bands.
May 18, 2015 6:38 pm
"Let's have someone quaff that stretchy potion, slide their arm under the door and unlock it from the other side!" Veldebrand exclaims, proud of his quick thinking.
May 18, 2015 6:40 pm
Farandor's eyes light up at the suggestion. "Ooooh, stretchy potion! that sounds interesting! I'll try it!" Farandor responds, eager to be of some use.
May 18, 2015 7:07 pm
Grapthor stops his single-minded pounding on the door. "About bloody time somebody came up with a better idea than this!" He steps aside for Farandor.
May 18, 2015 7:08 pm
That sounds like a plan.... Otherwise, we're going nowhere fast...
May 18, 2015 7:11 pm
Farandor takes the potion, and slams it back, grimacing slightly at the flavour. After a few seconds to let the magic begin to flow through him, he approaches the door.
"Well, here goes!" Farandor presses his fingertips to the crack between the doors hoping to press his new stretchy form through the crack and operate the lock mechanism on the back side...
May 19, 2015 5:09 am
WHo has got the potion? If nobody took it someone has to run back and get it. :-P
May 19, 2015 8:52 am
Grapthor jerks his thumb at Veldebrand. "Mister Fancypants over there took all the potions. He and the priest."
May 19, 2015 9:20 am
OOC:@Farandor: What creature or person are you thinking of while drinking the potion? If you think of a pink elephant, thats what you are going to be. All further changes of shape during the potion's duration require MND+IN to concentrate.
By the way: Farandor has no idea how long the potion will work and if the last shape he chose remains.
Lets go in one minute steps for the duration of the potion.
For the future: Things that you don't explicitely pick up or don't write on your character sheet will be treated not there. I won't remind you. :-)

Farandor experiences a few moments of extreme morphological uncertainty. He is able to pull himself together and squeeze through the crack as his body flattens to paper thickness and consistence of jelly. His possessions clatter to the ground in front of the door. Farandor now stands in a pitch black room on the other side of the door. Naked. His body first slowly then more rapidly taking on the form of the first being that comes to Farandor's mind voluntarily or unvoluntarily.
Farandor cannot see anything as the door blocks all the light and his night vision is cat-like. It requires some little light to work unlike the dwarves who can see without any light.

Rolls

Potion's duration in minutes - (1d20)

(11) = 11

May 19, 2015 11:53 am
"I hope that this naked pudding kann open the door without all his stuff"
May 19, 2015 1:06 pm
"How goes it, man? Can you feel around for a lock or bar on the door?" Veldebrand shouts. "Is anything trying to kill you?" he adds, sheepishly.
May 19, 2015 2:29 pm
Farandor was amazed at how he slid through the door. Unfortunately, it was pitch black in the room beyond the door. Thankfully, he thought, as it was chilly in this room, and it seemed none of his equipment had come along either. Once he was beyond the door he turned around feeling at the door, trying to find a handle, bar, or lock mechanism of some kind.
"It's very dark in here..." Farandor will whisper at the door, in case anyone on the other side can hear him.

Once beyond the door, Farandor would just be thinking 'stand up' so he'd be imagining himself in his normal form. Does that require a MND+INT check to change back into?

OOC: In the interest of keeping things moving, I'll add the concentration check. If it ends up being necessary and I fail I guess Farandor will be fumbling against the door in weird paper thin form :)

Rolls

MND+In Concentrations check. TN 4! - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 19, 2015 3:32 pm
Farandor resumes his normal form but has trouble to control his new found elasticity. His body stays very rubbery and any task involving a solid bone structure is at -3 until he changes shape again.

Farandor feels handles on the door but they don't move. There is no key hole on this side. Instead you feel an open intricate locking mechanism. This almost seems like a vault door. Someone made it secure from the outside but locking the doors from inside was not part of the specifications. The hinges of the double doors are on this side.
May 19, 2015 3:42 pm
"Okay guys, it doesn't seem that there's a key hole, or a bar on this side, just some complicated lock" Farandor will whisper at the crack in the door. "Any chance someone could shine a light at the crack? There are some torches in my pack."

Farandor will continue to grope around at the lock mechanism, trying to gleam some sense as to how it works.
May 19, 2015 4:06 pm
Veldebrand rummages through Farandor's gear and retrieves a torch, lighting it with a flame from his finger. He holds the flame near the keyhole. "Does this help?" he asks.
May 19, 2015 4:42 pm
"hey guys, I ask myself if someone has tools or something like that? maybe some lever?" Could we look for some?" Rollo begins to look around
May 20, 2015 6:36 am
Veldebrand spots a Crowbar in Farandor's pack.
The light helps somewhat. There is no obvious means of opening the lock from inside. Farandor can try to fiddle with the mechanism itself to move the parts (MND+DEX).
May 20, 2015 10:23 am
Veldebrand hands the crowbar to Grapthor. " This should do the trick "
May 20, 2015 12:29 pm
As Farandor hears them start to place the crowbar, he tries one more time to release the locking mechanism.

Rolls

MND 4+ DEX 5=ctn 9 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 20, 2015 2:37 pm
Grapthor wiggles the crowbar into the crack between the two huge doors and tries to forcibly pry them open.
Last edited May 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Rolls

Feat of Strength. BOD (8) + STR (4) = 12 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 20, 2015 5:12 pm
With Farandor's fiddeling and Grapthor's crowbar work you crack open the lock. The door swings slowly open to reveal a rubbery and completely naked elf.

The room behind the doors is 3 by 4 meters and obviously a treasure chamber. There is a big and a small chest and a painting labeled "The nude and the troll" on the wall.

After 5 more minutes Farandor's body structure starts to stiffen again. If he can concentrate enough to keep the right shape there is no problem, else he resumes his usual shape in the last second with a painful snap (5hp damage).
May 20, 2015 5:14 pm
Staring at the painting in the new light, Farandor's mind starts to wander and he starts to think about the Troll in the picture, letting his flexible form start to adapt...
May 20, 2015 5:16 pm
You have 5 minutes to experiment :-) I'll roll your concentration.

The party sees Farandor's shape blur and reconfigure. After few seconds you have a rather small troll in front of you, who's face seems strangely familiar. Farandor seems to have retained his overall body mass.

Rolls

Shapechange (MND+IN) (4) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 20, 2015 5:21 pm
"So Farandor is looking at the painting and getting stiff?" Veldebrand ponders
May 20, 2015 5:39 pm
OOC: Not yet. At the moment he is trolling you. ROFL
May 20, 2015 5:42 pm
"The Nude and The Troll" Guess this is one of the paintings our employer wanted... Unless he meant that other nude statue in that other room as well... So the question remains, what is that red and black thing supposed to be?
May 20, 2015 5:48 pm
Barekeln spots a large red and black sheet draped around the nude in the painting.
May 20, 2015 6:51 pm
"So this is what we were sent to pick up?" Farandor looks at the painting quizzically, his weird trollish hand to his chin. "Say, did it get cold in here, or is it just me? Hmmm I seem to be naked."

Farandor concentrates and tries to return to his regular shape.

Rolls

Concentration CTN 4 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 20, 2015 7:53 pm
While Farandor is wobbling around the room, Grapthor carefully examines the treasures chests. Are they Locked?
May 20, 2015 7:55 pm
Nope, not locked.. Wich one do you want to open first?
May 20, 2015 8:24 pm
Grapthor opens the small chest first.
May 20, 2015 8:28 pm
Farandor's body melts and spreads out in a puddle. His eyes hover for a second, blink and drop to the ground rolling around in the mass...
Farandor is incapacitated until the potion wears off and he snaps back to his original form with a poof. He takes 5hp of not defendable magical damage.

OOC: probably the vial was labeled "ACME", ROFL
May 20, 2015 8:38 pm
Farandor squirms on the ground after snapping back into his regular form, still without any clothing. "Oowwwwww.... Next time I'll bring a lock pick..."

He also gets up and sheepishly puts his clothes back on and collects his gear as the others go through the chests.
Last edited May 20, 2015 8:39 pm
May 21, 2015 2:03 pm
Veldebrand peers over Grapthor's shoulder, curious to see what's inside the chest.
May 21, 2015 3:25 pm
All in all you find:
* 410 GP
* 1 yellow Potion
* 1 Short sword
* 1 Chain Mail
* 1 Owl Brooch
* 3 different Rings
* 1 Painting
May 21, 2015 3:32 pm
"Ohhh." Veldebrand senses for magic on the lot

Rolls

Detect Magic (MND 8 + AU 2) on potion - (1d20)

(13) = 13

detect Magic on short sword (10) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

detect Magic brooch - (1d20)

(2) = 2

ring 1 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

ring 2 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

ring 3 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 21, 2015 3:33 pm
And the chain mail

Rolls

chain mail - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Potion - cold
Sword - cold
Brooch - hot
Ring 1 - hot
Ring 2 - hot (+2 on Identify)
Ring 3 - cold
Chain Mail - cold

Two boches in a row... I think that means you loose your feeling for magic for the day. No more feeling magic auras for Veldebrand.
You may identify the ones you got though.
May 21, 2015 3:42 pm
"ugh..must be residual effects of the oblivion trap...these here look interesting though" Veldebrand whispers to himself as he palms the broach and two of the rings in turn, paying special attention to one of the rings.

Rolls

Identify Magic (MND 8 + IN 1=9) Brooch - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Identify Magic (MND + IN 1=9) Ring - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Identify Magic (MND + IN +2 = 11) Certain ring - (1d20)

(9) = 9

May 21, 2015 3:44 pm
"Grapthor, man, with all this loot we'll be able to buy a bathtub of wine for you. With wenches to wash you!"
May 21, 2015 3:59 pm
Mind if I help you determine the magical properties of those items?

(OOC: I guess we can each add 82 GP to our character sheets now: 410÷5=82)
Last edited May 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Rolls

Sense Magic (CTN10) Yellow Potion - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sense Magic (CTN10) Sword - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Sense Magic (CTN10) 3rd Ring - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sense Magic (CTN10) Chainmail - (1d20)

(8) = 8

May 21, 2015 4:01 pm
Veldebrand Identifies:
Owl Brooch - IN + 1
Ring of Chain Lightening (1x / day)
Ring of Protection +1
May 21, 2015 4:11 pm
"Oooh, I like gold! So what exactly do you all know about our quest? Is this painting what we're after?"

Farandor pockets his share of the gold.
May 21, 2015 4:15 pm
I guess it is. Veldebrand had a not scribbled with "Nude-Troll-Black and Red", and that painting seems to have all 3, so... Of course, we can always take the rest of the art as well and try to sell it for more gold...
May 21, 2015 4:19 pm
"You mean that ugly-ass dragon painting? I suppose you magic types thought it might be worth something. The more loot the merrier mine and Grapthor's hangover in a few days I suppose"
May 21, 2015 5:23 pm
Veldebrand affixes the owl brooch to his cloak and makes a confident and thoughtful expression. He holds the rings out to Barekeln "This ring protects you in combat, while this one can produce chain lighting once per day. Deadly spell. Both you and I could someday learn the spell but it is a long way off. Still, it would be better served in my possession or yours rather than, say, him" pointing to Grapthor.
Last edited May 21, 2015 5:23 pm
May 21, 2015 6:03 pm
Grapthor stuffs his share of the gold into his pack. "Sure, this'll buy me ale when we git back to town, but I'm bloody thirsty NOW!" he grumbles. "What's that yellow stuff in the bottle?"

He picks up the chain mail, gives Rollo a sidelong glance, and shrugs, "Be a shame to cover those tattoos." He puts the chainmail on, "S' a little tight around the chest."

"I'll take the wee sword too if nobody wants it." Grapthor turns his attention to the painting. "Now how're we supppsed to carry the bloody thing? Remove it from its frame & roll it up?"
Last edited May 21, 2015 6:27 pm
May 21, 2015 6:47 pm
"We can roll it around one of my spears and keep it in my quiver. Should keep it reasonably safe."
May 21, 2015 6:50 pm
Looking at the yellow potion.."Well, what good would hiding poison in a locked room guarded by a golem be?" Veldebrand tastes the potion.
Last edited May 21, 2015 6:51 pm
May 21, 2015 7:19 pm
Answering Veldebrand

Yeah, agreed, especially considering it'll take me longer to learn it and my role is more of a combat healer than a lightning thrower... Who knows, maybe in the future we'll end up swapping rings... Okay, gees guys, let me sense magic first, will ya!?

(OOC: :P )
May 22, 2015 4:53 pm
"If Grapthor gets the armor, let me have the Ring of Protection please. I can use some more defense in the front line. What is the other stuff?"
May 22, 2015 5:21 pm
Veldebrand feels a lot stronger.

This potion gives ST +6 for d20 minutes.
May 22, 2015 5:42 pm
tete says:
"If Grapthor gets the armor, let me have the Ring of Protection please. I can use some more defense in the front line. What is the other stuff?"
(OOC: Barekeln took it. As a healer, I'll need protection, and a ring is perfect for me since, unlike regulat armor, it does not hamper my spellcasting (I.e. your source of healing ;) ). You can always purchase better armor in town, or convince Grapthor to take teh sword and leave you the chainmail instead... Also, don't forget my sense magic checks chocokiko...)
Last edited May 22, 2015 5:43 pm
May 23, 2015 10:55 am
Grapthor fishes a pair of dice from his pocket. "Tell you what, Rollo, I know we can both use the armor. Whaddya say we dice for it? Higher roll wins the armor."

Grinning, Grapthor rolls the dice. "10. Your turn.", he says, handing Rollo the dice.
Last edited May 23, 2015 10:56 am

Rolls

Rolling against Rollo for the chainmail. - (2d6)

(55) = 10

May 23, 2015 11:21 am
"Oh, gentleman, can we not simply come to an agreement?" Veldebrand looks disdainfully at the dicing match while quietly donning the ring of chain lightning when Barekeln is distracted.
May 24, 2015 3:38 am
"Well fellows, if that's all, I'd like to get some fresh air and a pint at the nearest tavern." Farandor winks at Grapthor. He finishes rolling up the painting, taking care not to damage it, then stows it carefully with his spears on his back.
May 24, 2015 3:08 pm
Since nobody is letting him sensing magic on the items Velebrand failed to identify (OOC: Guess I made all those rolls for nothing...), Barekeln ismply goest to gather the remaining art, waiting for help with teh 1meter statue (OOC: which I assume will weight a lot).
May 25, 2015 1:44 pm
Veldebrand hands the strength potion to Rollo. "Here you go, mate. This will make those big muscles even bigger, for a while".
May 25, 2015 6:44 pm
OOC: Sorry for the delay...

Barekeln:
Yellow potion - hot
Sword - cold
3rd ring - hot
Chailnmail - hot
May 25, 2015 6:49 pm
Rollo takes his share of gold and the sword.

"Ok Grapthor lets see what your dice say."

"Too bad, but I'll take the next one!"
Last edited May 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Rolls

Dicing for armor - (2d6)

(53) = 8

May 25, 2015 6:53 pm
Grapthor puts the dice back in his pocket. Grinning, he slaps the big Northman on the shoulder. "Yeah you'll get the next one. For now I've got yer back. And I'll buy ye a drink for bein' a bloody sport!"
May 25, 2015 7:13 pm
Barekeln concentrates to identify the magic on the items.

Rolls

Detect Macic (MND+AU, CTN11) Yellow Potion - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Detect Macic (MND+AU, CTN11) 3rd Ring - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Detect Macic (MND+AU, CTN11) Chainmail - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 27, 2015 5:53 pm
Potion: a above Potion of Strength +6 for d20 minutes
A Ring of Spellchange
A chainmail +1
May 27, 2015 6:54 pm
Well then, my dear Veldebrand, since you took that ring of chain Lightning, I assume it's only fair I take this Ring of Spellchange.

(OOC: :P )
May 27, 2015 6:56 pm
"That makes sense to me. That will allow you to switch between healing and defense spells more easily".
May 27, 2015 6:59 pm
"If we're done comparing jewellery, Grapthor and I are getting thirsty. Aren't we Grapthor?"
May 27, 2015 7:24 pm
"Agreed. Let's take everything we can. If a piece of art or statue is too heavy let's leave it for later. "
May 28, 2015 7:33 am
I'd say the paintings are about 1 by 1 meter and have to be carried by 2 persons. You can barely move the statue with 4 people.
May 28, 2015 2:15 pm
Looks like we'll have a few trips to make then... alright, let's start with the paintings first, since one of them seems to be what our employers was after. We can come back for the statue: it should not just sprout legs and leave, after all...
May 28, 2015 2:32 pm
"That sounds like a plan! Let's bloody git to it!"
May 28, 2015 2:39 pm
"Should we try to request more money for the painting?" Veldebrand ponders as he gathers his gear and helps carry things out.
May 28, 2015 2:58 pm
"I just wanna be quit of this bloody place. I prefer my forgettin' in the bottom of a keg of ale, not some blasted rune!"
May 28, 2015 3:10 pm
"I think Grapthor is probably owed some hazard pay for the licking that golem laid on his head" Farandor says, wincing at the remembered strikes to his comrade.
May 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Adventuring reward is pretty much 100% hazard pay my elf friend...
May 28, 2015 4:14 pm
"Ha! Too right Master Barekeln, too right indeed."
May 28, 2015 4:34 pm
OOC: Here comes the fast forward... I'll just wrap it up here.
I read earler that you planned on delivering the painting to your employer and not keeping it so I'll take that as consensus for simplicity.

You pack up your loot and two of you carry the troll painting between them. Tracking back to the Inn is not a big problem. You are awaited by a merchant. After some confusion you manage to explain your loss of memory and establish that he is indeed the one who hired you to get the painting.
You rent a small donkey cart from the village and haul back the statue and the other painting. The young son of the farmer drives the cart for you.
You then join the merchant and his own cart to the nearest smaller town. There you sell the art pieces with great loss as this is a small town and hard to find a buyer at all and you can't haul the stuff around. The boy takes the cart back to his village.
You also have the sword identified: It is a +1 short sword.

In the smaller town there is plenty of time to get drunk and go shopping.

You get:
+ 100GP for the troll painting
+ 70GP for the rest of the art
- 10 GP to have the Sword identified
--------------------------------
32 GP for each character

You each earned experience:
* 10/12 XP for exploring rooms
* 110 / 5 XP for the Golem
* 90 / 5 XP for the Tentacled Brain
* 15 XP for finding and understanding the runes
* 15 XP for delivering the painting
* 25 for surviving the adventure
------
105 XP for each character

Congratulations you are all Level 2 now.
Please PM me your shopping list and the changes to your character. You can also ask to buy things not in the book. But the limit is small town level.

Thread locked