Metagame Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 31, 2015 5:04 pm
I like recopies. Very evocative, haha.
May 31, 2015 10:27 pm
It is supposed to be recipes. I'm doc this mostly on my phone which has decent spell check but I think I was on my laptop which does not autocorrect. I'm a horrible speller...have been since grade school.
Jun 1, 2015 5:06 am
Just to be clear, I wasn't poking fun :-) Recopies would have also made sense.
Jun 3, 2015 2:27 pm
Hello Guys,

I am very sorry but I'll have to give up this game. On one hand I somehow just don't get the feel for it. This is not our GM's fault, foolsmask is doing a great job. But somehow I don't get into the flow.
On the other hand I am much too busy for 3 games at the moment. I took a bite larger than I can chew. I'll hand over my caracter to anyone who wants to play it.
Sorry again, I really hate to leave.

Regards, Martin
Jun 3, 2015 6:15 pm
Well that is a shame, we hate to see you go, but thanks for not leaving us hanging. I will use your character since he is so ingrained in the story.
Jun 4, 2015 4:51 am
Oh no choco, sorry to see you go. And apologies for being out of it to everyone else, it is indeed the real world that slows me down. I'd prefer to write at a real computer but never seem to be on one in my free time.
Jun 4, 2015 8:05 am
Sorry to see you go, Chocokiko! Real life comes first of course! See you around! :-)
Jun 4, 2015 9:23 am
I'll try my best to keep up the other games :-) Coco should be in the library. Feel free to copy it and drop me a line when to delete my version.
Jun 5, 2015 3:56 pm
Just a heads up: I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 9, 2015 6:39 pm
Gadzooks, three heads! A battle is upon us!
Jun 9, 2015 9:04 pm
4...actually...don't forget the snake. ;-)
Jun 11, 2015 3:10 am
If I command the storm elemental to attack does it use one of my approaches or does it have its own? I imagine it would have top scores in flashy and forceful - quite the opposite of Diginus.
Jun 11, 2015 3:32 am
You would still use your approaches. The elemental counts as an aspect for the scene. If you wanted to use Sneak for example you could describe how the elemental shoots a lightning bolt to the left then "jumps" to the right surprising Chimera. Or maybe the elemental charges in allowing you to Sneak behind the beast unseen, where you unleash the real attack. Make sense?
Jun 11, 2015 9:06 pm
Yes, that makes sense, thanks! :-)

Next question: I get 2 free invokes of the storm elemental aspect only, or of any of the available aspects?
Jun 11, 2015 9:35 pm
Two free on the elemental. The others cost Fate points as usual, but I was trying to put out a few extra things that you all might find useful beyond your own character aspects.
Jun 13, 2015 7:30 am
Diginus has just caused the elemental to attack the chimera while he distracts it. So that's my first free invoke on the elemental, right? If that hadn't been a freebie then I would now be subtracting a fate point from my character sheet. Is that how it works?

What about the elemental's attack? Do I make an attack roll for him? (possibly with a bonus as a result of my successfully distracting the monster?)

I have a few ideas for how to use some of the scene aspects. Is it possible to invoke more than one aspect in a single move?
Jun 14, 2015 4:45 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Diginus has just caused the elemental to attack the chimera while he distracts it. So that's my first free invoke on the elemental, right? If that hadn't been a freebie then I would now be subtracting a fate point from my character sheet. Is that how it works?
What about the elemental's attack? Do I make an attack roll for him? (possibly with a bonus as a result of my successfully distracting the monster?)
The way you have written that post you have not used any of your free invokes from the summoned elemental. Your result is a +3 and Chimera will be getting a reaction roll. But that's OK. In Fate you can Invoke aspects after your result, getting either a +2 or a re-roll. The way it seems you have written this post your action is an attempt to Create an Advantage (a temporary aspect) of "Distracted by Diginus" that you and other players could use. Your elemental does not have its own actions for attacking, its presence in the scene is to add to your description. If you want it to Attack (potentially doing damage to Chimera) that requires your action.

The fact Diginus is distracting him so the elemental can attack is fine, your character is "setting up" the attack. We can use the roll you made as an attack just as it is written. You can use a free invoke still to make it a +5 result, or re-roll (I don't recomment that though, a +5 is a pretty good result).

So just let me know if this is an Attack or Create Advantage roll and we will be fine. If you wish to use an invoke from the elemental put that in the Scene 1 thread, posting as the player so I know it is an OOC comment.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

I have a few ideas for how to use some of the scene aspects. Is it possible to invoke more than one aspect in a single move?
Yes. You can invoke as many different Aspects as you want on any given roll as long as you can "pay" for them. Obviously, if they're free it doesn't cost any Fate Points. Think of Free Invokes as Fate Points tied directly to certain Aspects. Otherwialse if you have the Fate Point you can spend it how you wish. The only limit is you can only invoke an Aspect once per roll...unless you came up with a really creative reason.

It is usually frowned upon to allow multiple invokes, and I have always agreed until this scenario that we are playing. Chimera has four heads. If you used the roll we are talking about to Create an Advantage as I discussed above, and Chimera failed to Overcome that Advantage, you could, if you wanted, spend a Fate Point per head to get a bonus of +8 to your next Attack action on your next turn. It would cost the free invoke you might get if the Advantage sticks and three Fate Points for the additional invokes. I don't know if its a good idea...but it would be interesting. And actually if that "Distracted by Diginus" was created, you could pass the free invoke to another player and they could spend three Fate Points to do the same thing. Again...I leave it to you to decide, that would be a very cool, but costly, action.

I will respond to Fenwicks action, but that should not affect you in anyway since you acted first and he is simply trying to Create an Advantage by hiding.
Jun 14, 2015 4:48 am
Actually I won't. Because Fenwick could invoke "Distracted by Diginus" if you create that Advantage.
Jun 14, 2015 1:06 pm
So I've decided to make my last action a Create Advantage so that everyone can use it. So if I understand correctly, each "turn" it would either be Diginus or the elemental making a move, not both? So if I wanted Diginus could have done his distracting thing, sometimes using the fallen trees as cover (spending a Fate point to invoke that scene aspect) and with that roll would have gotten a total result of +5. Then next round I would use a free invole on the elemental, whose attack would then benefit from the Distracted by Diginus temporary aspect. Is that correct? Thanks, I think I am gradually making sense of how the system works :-)
Jun 14, 2015 3:33 pm
Excellent choice on Creating an Advantage, though attacking would not have been a bad thing either.

So...Actions. You are almost there...and this is a lot harder to explain in text with these delayed responses but I think we are almost there. In Fate you have "The Four Actions" (there are also Four Outcomes, but those are more my responsibility). A player can: Attack, Defend, Create Advantage, & Overcome. You, as Jabes, have one action per turn. When you describe that action you can describe anything that makes sense in the narrative using your character and the various elements that you directly control. In this case you control Diginus and a Storm Elemental and you can take control of Aspects with Fate Points. You could describe your character teleporting and throwing lightning bolts as many times as you want in a single action (again with the idea that it makes sense "in the world" which it would for Diginus), and you can include the summoned elemental describing how it attacks with its lightning sword. But in the end you are just choosing what kind of action this is from the list of four. If its an attack you might deal damage, if its a create advantage action you might create the advantage. So the only limits on what you describe as your action are the constraints of the narrative and the type of action you want to accomplish.

For example, if someone were to nail a board across a door in an attempt to keep zombies out of the house. This could be a Defend Action or a create advantage action. Its not an attack, because the zombies aren't being injured by placing a board between them and the tasty brains. It might be an Overcome if the zombies are "Breaking down the door" as an aspect...but that's a stretch. It could be Create an Advantage because ...obviously...it is creating an extra barrier the zombies would have to Overcome. It could be a Defend because in that the action might keep the zombies from attacking the people on the other side of the board.

Overcome is used to remove the aspect made by the Create Advantage action. So a zombie hoard would need to Overcome "Boards nailed to the doorway" in the above example before they could really attack the people. However if someone were to be standing close to the door, the zombies might be able to declare an attack and the defender could use the "Boards nailed to the doorway" as a descriptive reason their defend roll was successful (the zombies just couldn't read) or invoke the aspect and get the +2 to the defend roll, still describing how the board keeps the zombies out but also using it to get a mechanical advantage.

I dont feel like i need to describe Attack and Defend in depth...thise are pretty simple cincepts. Attack lets you deal damage, Defend lets you avoid it. A special note on the Defend Action. It is a little special in that you can make a defend roll as many times as you need to in a round. You can use your action to preemptively defend someone. This would sort of draw the attacker at you instead of other characters. You would still get to defend against all the attacks directed at your character.

So...just to "sum up" you are in control of what your character does. And because we are in a world with magic your character can do a lot of cool stuff. The only limit is what makes sense and how it is applied mechanically in the story. You should not describe how you completely obliterate an enemy...until after the roll and I tell you to describe how cool it is that you obliterated the enemy. You can launch a wave of electricity that singes the eyebrows off anyone standing nearby, but stop at the point where the results of the roll dictate the action. Your elemental can "stab at the heart of the beast" (just an example) but unless the roll result allows for it, you won't be dealing the death blow.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.