Cypher Play: Not allowed on PbP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 30, 2017 7:29 pm
Hey guys and gals,

Unfortunately, I heard back from Monte Cook Games, and Cypher Play is exclusively for game stores. I'm not sure if anyone was going to start or already started Cypher Play games on GP, but if so, I'll have to ask them to end.

Sorry about that; I hope that can be amended sometime later.
Mar 30, 2017 7:36 pm
Thanks for the update!
Mar 30, 2017 7:48 pm
Blarg.

Thanks for looking into that. I'll wrap up the game I started...
Mar 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Can games be run using the material? Lack of support for it outside of stores just means that none of this is "official", right?
Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm
njohn858 says:
Blarg.

Thanks for looking into that. I'll wrap up the game I started...
Sorry to hear that. I presented the case to MGC that there are people who can't make it to a FLGS who don't care about promos; they just wanna play. I hope it has some influence.
Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Naatkinson says:
Can games be run using the material? Lack of support for it outside of stores just means that none of this is "official", right?
I'll ask.
Mar 30, 2017 8:17 pm
Naatkinson says:
I got a response: not at this time. If people can play the Cypher Play games outside of stores, there's less incentive to play them in stores, and the Cypher Play program was created to encourage people to FLGS.

So unfortunately, until I get a more favorable response from MCGs, Cypher Play games won't be allowed on GP :/
Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm
Understood. I had intentionally started Season 1 (Season 2 is the current season that I am running at a FLGS) in the hopes of abiding by the spirit of the law instead of the letter, but oh well.

I've got a good group of players here, so I may just adjust the storyline away from the OP materials and keep the game going.
Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm
I figure no point in pushing it now, but in the future I may ask about previous seasons being allowed.
May 1, 2017 8:57 pm
Just so you know, I reached out to MCG about running prior Seasons of Cypher OP outside of a FLGS (in addition to my general inquiry, I explicitly asked about running past Seasons as a PbP), and they were fine with it. Season 3 is on its way to the stores, so Season 1 and 2 are available to run here.
May 1, 2017 9:07 pm
njohn: did you get that confirmation via email? If so, can you forward it along to me? I asked explicitly about running previous sessions to and got a hard no, so if there are conflicts, I'd like to have on hand (if you're ok with providing me that).
May 1, 2017 9:16 pm
Sure! Could you PM me your email address?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.