forum n00b looking to play a character

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 7, 2017 1:14 am
Straight to the point I guess. I'm looking to play in a system with no startup cost. I LOVE d&d, and 5e looks awesome, but its just not in the budget. *super-sad face*

What systems or specific games could someone suggest? Call me a journeyman RPG player in terms of xp, maybe 9th lvl. Main system was d&d, played 2e/homebrew for 6+ years. 3.5 and pathfinder as well. Cool with any genre but love fantasy.

I hope this is the appropriate subforum. Thanks guys!
[ +- ] P.S.
Apr 7, 2017 1:21 am
You may know this already, but you can download the basic rules for 5e for free. It's missing a lot of what's in the actual books, but it's certainly enough to play the game....especially without having to break the bank.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
Apr 7, 2017 1:29 am
I use a PDF that automatically generators my characters. It gets updated regularly to include the new 5e stuff like UA. I'd link it but I'm away from my PC at the moment
Apr 7, 2017 1:55 am
As far as some other systems go, have you looked at 13th Age? It's a d20-based game that has a great fantasy setting, it's narrative focused, and there's a free SRD available.

Here's a game that's just getting going that has an open spot available (link)
Apr 7, 2017 1:57 am
This doesn't answer the actual question, but for D&D 5e there's also a System Reference Document put out by Wizards that references more rules than the basic set. I often use both when I don't have access to my player's handbook: SRD v5.1
Apr 7, 2017 2:28 am
To sort of piggyback off CancerMan's suggestion, they also released dndBeyond; which is some of the SRD in browser form, neatly organized and you get a spellbook for quick and easy spell looking. It requires a twitch account, if you already have one you're all set, if you don't it is a quick signup.
Apr 7, 2017 4:04 am
Also, there are games like Swords and Wizardry available as free downloads. However, I second njohn's suggestion for 13th Age. The SRD isn't complete, but the game is outstanding.
Apr 7, 2017 4:04 am
Also, there are games like Swords and Wizardry available as free downloads. However, I second njohn's suggestion for 13th Age. The SRD isn't complete, but the game is outstanding.
Apr 7, 2017 6:05 am
Also, if you're familiar with 3.5, Pathfinder should be an easy jump (as it's basically 3.5 with some tweaks to make it a bit more usable). You can find all the rules for PF in the: Pathfinder SRD
OOC:
Edit: after re-reading your post I see you're familiar with Pathfinder, still. The SRD is there ;)
There are also alot of other free games out there, check out Kajael's awesome megapost: Kalajel's Resources and Free Games

But what you really want is to get into a game. Just subscribe to the games you're interested in in the looking for games box, and try to get in a new game. You should be able to join a 5E game with the basic rules (just, your options will be a bit limited), or a Pathfinder/13th age etc. Just check with the DM running the game if you can get along with the basic rules/srd etc. Welcome and good luck ;)
Last edited April 7, 2017 6:07 am
Apr 7, 2017 7:33 am
Oxbox just started a game. Sounds awesome! :-) Link to discussion. Link to game.
Last edited April 7, 2017 7:34 am
Apr 7, 2017 4:50 pm
Well if you want a free system and it doesn't have to be D&D I'd check out the test drive rolls for Savage Worlds.
Apr 7, 2017 4:50 pm
Well if you want a free system and it doesn't have to be D&D I'd check out the test drive rolls for Savage Worlds.
Apr 8, 2017 2:50 pm
Thanks for all the feedback guys, looking into some of these.
Apr 8, 2017 4:03 pm
I tried to start a Dungeonslayers game last month and it failed. There were interest for it, but right now, those people were already in too many game. I'll wait a bit and try again in a few months to see if they're available now (or if they PM me first to tell me they're free). So if you ever feel like trying a rules-lite, free, old school medfan game, give me a holler.
Last edited April 8, 2017 4:03 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.