Exigency: Arena Simulation

Apr 9, 2017 8:23 pm
Your team has access to sim booths. The simulations are fully immersive but the machines aren't the advanced systems that stimulate the body as well as the mind: your training is purely a mental experience.

But the stab wounds and plasma burns feel very real.
OOC:
Klone's idea: a non-canon fighting pit to test out your builds. The simulated arena can be shared if you wish, or you can have your own separate instances to try things out. Once you have a completed character (whether it's final or not) you can post here, pick an adversary, and start a test fight.

You can tweak the scenario, but I'm going to default to a little 3 x 3 arena with a couple of light cover tiles. You can even fight each other if you want, although I'm not sure the system's that hot at PvP! There'd be a lot of potential back-and-forth with all the interrupts and Edge powers and frankly the rules don't fully describe some of those interactions...

Your can spawns foes of your choice. Mobs or elites. It's a great opportunity for me, too, to showcase the different enemy types and how their mechanics work. I'd suggest picking just one at first, although of course you don't really need to worry about taking on more than you can chew.

Opponents:

Mobs:
burly thugs with axes (group of 4)
gangsters with pistols (group of 3)
zombies from some weird horror sim (group of 7)

Elites/Bosses:
veterans with assault rifles (group of 2)
heavy gunner
a wizard (??)
Apr 10, 2017 1:47 am
He enters the simulator with his mind blank and his EMF contracted against his skin. He is still inside, void of all distraction. He activates the simulation, and as it boots up, sending senses to bypass his own and project directly into his mind, he allows his EMF to expand to fill this new virtual space instead of the material space surrounding him. The transition is smooth and effortless; his mental powers are compatible with the simulation.
He closes his eyes and centers himself, then scans the area and waits for the program to begin.
OOC:
I'll try the burly thugs with axes
Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am
The challenger does not have to wait long. A quartet of identical fighters appear from nowhere at the opposite end of the arena. Distinguishing marks come after, as if an afterthought: the simulation subtly tweaks their heights, builds, battle-scars, even the scratches and nicks on their axes. The four muscular axemen take a few warm-up swings– not that simulated people need to warm-up, of course, but it's all for verisimilitude– then as one, turn to face their adversary.
OOC:

http://imgur.com/71bRe29.png

The orange lines are light cover: not that that's particularly relevant in this fight! As usual the PCs go first.

Axemen
http://i.imgur.com/o8yxLH3.png
[ +- ] Information
Apr 10, 2017 3:08 pm
Looking for a quiet night in, Kree has been leveraging her stores of Akover Real Plum Brandy. She is now fairly wasted and running out of brandy. She squeezes the empty bottle tight as the simulation starts, hoping to find it full when she wakes up. Seeing the axemen already taken, she selects the gangsters with pistols.

Upon finding the sim-bottle just as empty as its real world counterpart, she curses, breaks it on the nearest gangster, and begins the lengthy process of working out her frustrations.
OOC:
Charge the mob!
Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm
OOC:
I'll throw a mental bolt at the mob. Will psi bonus factor in? Standard action, then move right, behind the barrier.

Rolls

Bolt (1d20+3{FOC?}) - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Apr 10, 2017 4:59 pm
OOC:
Klone: Do you mean you're using your Bolt aspect or just a basic attack? Bolt doesn't need a roll but the target would need to be in an adjacent tile. Although if it's a basic attack, then yeah Psi applies: +2 to the d20 skill roll and the 1d8 roll.

Iriah: I'll assume that Ailith is using her Charge aspect, but I'm going to go post about her character build before I action that!
Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm
Kree's simulation

Kree throws herself at the gangsters within seconds of their appearance. Grim-faced men in suits who maintain their dour expressions even when one of their number gets a bottle of Akover brandy to the face. He collapses, but his comrades open fire in retaliation. Photon bolts streak towards their mark.
OOC:
[ +- ] Map and stats

Rolls

Kree's charge! - (1d20+9, 1d8+9)

1d20+9 : (18) + 9 = 27

1d8+9 : (4) + 9 = 13

Kree's Debuff - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Gangster's skill (rolling twice for Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Gangster's skill (rolling twice for Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Gangster's ability - (1d8+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm
That's always the danger, when they bring guns to a fistfight. Singed clothing, even blisters. She watches the simulation deform her 'flesh' while she fly kicks a gangster, and pushes off him to knee the other in the nose. A heel to the throat for each ends the party prematurely.

Hmm. No, she's still drunk, and angry about something she can't quite remember. Maybe it's time for more of a challenge.

As the sim resets, she requests the zombies. And sighs, seeing her brandy bottle reform empty again. Oh, yes. Now she remembers.
OOC:
So I have a couple of options here - empower Warpath to keep the buff and make another attack roll, or spend Bloodlust if I want to up the damage. However, with a Buff of 5, I can just spend Zealot and Lethal the mob, which I believe ends it for them, right?

And, do aspects/EPs/Buffs reset between encounters in the sim? I'll Charge again if so.
Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm
The defeated gangsters melt away, as does the environment. It rebuilds itself, re-centring around Kree, wiping clean the scorch marks and blood stains. The zombies appear, of the green and putrescent fantasy variety. Kree can hear the buzzing of flies. The smell is unpleasant, but muted. The beta testers must have protested when the odour of rotten flesh was more realistic.

Kree springs forward. Rinse and repeat: another bottle, another faceful of broken glass. But the zombie remains standing. Kree practically has to decapitate the freakish creature to keep it down. The others claw and grasp at her, shuffling forward and moaning. They tug at her clothes and rake bony fingers over her flesh: there's incredible strength in those scrawny arms.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Lethal hit - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Kree's charge, again - (1d20+9, 1d8+9)

1d20+9 : (15) + 9 = 24

1d8+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Kree's Debuff - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Zombie attack (Disadvantage) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

(7) = 7

Zombie damage - (1d4+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm
OOC:
it was a standard attack. Its like a concentrated EMP that target the nervous system to cause damage.
Apr 11, 2017 10:51 pm
Clone 29's simulation

http://i.imgur.com/tzdVh57.png

He reaches out with his psi. One of the axemen lurches, and then seizes up altogether, keeling over like a felled tree as neurons misfire and muscles involuntarily tense. The other three ignore their fallen comrade and sprint forward, waving their weapons around in wild swings, carving up the meagre cover and aiming to do the same to flesh and bone.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

29's skill (Advantage) - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

29's damage (inc. speciality) - (1d8+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

29's skill roll (Advantage) - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Charging axemen - (1d20+4, 1d6+8)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d6+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

Axemen's Debuff - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Critical hit! - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Kree's Buff (edited in: forgot she earned it!) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Apr 12, 2017 1:03 am
OOC:
Crap, just properly reread Brawler. Was going to use an EP to apply 7 minor attacks, lol. Guess I have to change tactics.
She thinks she's seen this in a holovid, or maybe done it one of the interactive ones. If you're not strong enough to consistently tear someone's head off, the best way to deal blunt trauma is to throw it to the ground. And the best way to do that, well ...

She steps under the reaching bony fingers, grabs a waist, and begins to suplex them. Head, meet pavement ...
OOC:
So I'm not sure what buff she got, but if it was 2+ I'm gonna spend Warpath, Bloodlust, and use Brawler's EP.
Apr 12, 2017 4:43 am
OOC:
thank you for the rundown, and the patience with grasping mechanics.
To refine the speciality I've chosen, instead of the mind control, its more like what I wrote in the descriptive text: an EMP. Might as well be the title.
This time I'll use bolt as a full action. Cutting description to focus on learning the mechanics real quick.
Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am
Kree's simulation

Kree suplexes the zombie. Its head pops: thoroughly unrealistic but whoever coded this encounter must have wanted to up the gore. The other undead continue their assault but fail to lay a hand (or tooth) on her.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Clone 29's simulation

His primary target falls and the axeman's nearest ally also freezes up and collapses, having been weakened from his close proximity to the first attack.

The last man standing screams and redoubles his efforts: it's all the challenger can do to avoid being hacked to pieces. These enemies must have been programmed to be particularly vengeful...
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's attack - (1d20+9, 1d8+10)

1d20+9 : (14) + 9 = 23

1d8+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

(18) = 18

(14) = 14

Zombie damage - (1d4+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

C29's full attack (Advantage) - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

C29's full attack (Advantage) - (1d20+9)

(9) + 9 = 18

C29's ability roll - (1d8+12)

(2) + 12 = 14

Last axeman's attack - (1d20+4, 1d4+5)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d4+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Axeman morale (+WIL) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm
OOC:
I actually meant the full-round ability to deal 3 HP of damage, but this works! Lol I'm sorry if I'm not catching on well, thanks for showing me how to play! The debuff confused me, is that from esoteric last round? And am I correct in assuming the bolt ability would have dealt 3NP worth of damage had they failed a save?
Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm
OOC:
Here's a question - can you use the Charge EP without moving the 1 tile? I imagine not. So I'll have her move away with a minor action then use the Charge EP. Like taking a run up!
She leaps to her feet out of the suplex and jumps over the next zombie, cuffing his head on the way past. Maybe they aren't so tough after all. She sprints away, turns on a dime, and comes back into a fly kick at the nearest zombie. She keys her implant on the way, looking for any other targets in range. As the juice hits, she takes the time to check if her toes are clean.
OOC:
Trying out the neurachem shot.
Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm
Nerves take one last glance around the simulator before keying in the scenario. Guys with axes. Guys with Pistols. Gotta be both.
Gotta expect the worst.
He shivers a little bit in anticipation of his surely soon to be virtual demise.

I can do this. Probably.
Apr 12, 2017 10:24 pm
OOC:
Klone: right on all counts! Sorry about that, but hey at least you dealt the same number of hits as the aspect would've! The Debuff was actually something the axemen applied to themselves when they used their Charge aspect in the earlier turn: the same ability that Kree has, in fact.
Kree's simulation

The zombies didn't exactly have quicksilver reflexes in the first place, but they're moving in slow-motion now. The cracks of bone become low rumbles, the spurts of blood hang in the air as Kree moves between them, rebounding from corpse to corpse until they decide to give up on the whole "walking" thing.

The last zombie makes a half-hearted swipe at Kree. Literally: this one is missing a chunk of torso.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+14)

1d20+13 : (3) + 13 = 16

1d8+14 : (7) + 14 = 21

(3) = 3

(14) = 14

Zombie damage - (1d4+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Apr 12, 2017 10:44 pm
Nerves' simulation

The simulation stalls for a split-second as it considers how to combine the enemy choices. It settles on a Mercenary League unit: three scouts with pistols, four troopers with standard-issue axes. Why all seven of them are in fatigues without body armour remains unaddressed.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information
Apr 13, 2017 12:32 am
Nerves looks for the nearest cover and dives for it, four-on-one melee wasn't going to be much practice if he just got shot first. Wait a second, if they're Mercs, they've got Smart Pistols with tracking and triggerlocks...

Moving quickly, Nerves triggers his HUD and sends a prepackaged viral wrecking ball towards the pistols' firmware. It's not a finesse job, and was most likely overkill, but Nerves didn't want a fair fight if he could afford to skip it.
OOC:
Combo: HUD plus Lockout maneuver on the Pistols, Spend the Power for hopefully full disables
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.