Exigency: Arena Simulation

Apr 9, 2017 8:23 pm
Your team has access to sim booths. The simulations are fully immersive but the machines aren't the advanced systems that stimulate the body as well as the mind: your training is purely a mental experience.

But the stab wounds and plasma burns feel very real.
OOC:
Klone's idea: a non-canon fighting pit to test out your builds. The simulated arena can be shared if you wish, or you can have your own separate instances to try things out. Once you have a completed character (whether it's final or not) you can post here, pick an adversary, and start a test fight.

You can tweak the scenario, but I'm going to default to a little 3 x 3 arena with a couple of light cover tiles. You can even fight each other if you want, although I'm not sure the system's that hot at PvP! There'd be a lot of potential back-and-forth with all the interrupts and Edge powers and frankly the rules don't fully describe some of those interactions...

Your can spawns foes of your choice. Mobs or elites. It's a great opportunity for me, too, to showcase the different enemy types and how their mechanics work. I'd suggest picking just one at first, although of course you don't really need to worry about taking on more than you can chew.

Opponents:

Mobs:
burly thugs with axes (group of 4)
gangsters with pistols (group of 3)
zombies from some weird horror sim (group of 7)

Elites/Bosses:
veterans with assault rifles (group of 2)
heavy gunner
a wizard (??)
Apr 10, 2017 1:47 am
He enters the simulator with his mind blank and his EMF contracted against his skin. He is still inside, void of all distraction. He activates the simulation, and as it boots up, sending senses to bypass his own and project directly into his mind, he allows his EMF to expand to fill this new virtual space instead of the material space surrounding him. The transition is smooth and effortless; his mental powers are compatible with the simulation.
He closes his eyes and centers himself, then scans the area and waits for the program to begin.
OOC:
I'll try the burly thugs with axes
Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am
The challenger does not have to wait long. A quartet of identical fighters appear from nowhere at the opposite end of the arena. Distinguishing marks come after, as if an afterthought: the simulation subtly tweaks their heights, builds, battle-scars, even the scratches and nicks on their axes. The four muscular axemen take a few warm-up swings– not that simulated people need to warm-up, of course, but it's all for verisimilitude– then as one, turn to face their adversary.
OOC:

http://imgur.com/71bRe29.png

The orange lines are light cover: not that that's particularly relevant in this fight! As usual the PCs go first.

Axemen
http://i.imgur.com/o8yxLH3.png
[ +- ] Information
Apr 10, 2017 3:08 pm
Looking for a quiet night in, Kree has been leveraging her stores of Akover Real Plum Brandy. She is now fairly wasted and running out of brandy. She squeezes the empty bottle tight as the simulation starts, hoping to find it full when she wakes up. Seeing the axemen already taken, she selects the gangsters with pistols.

Upon finding the sim-bottle just as empty as its real world counterpart, she curses, breaks it on the nearest gangster, and begins the lengthy process of working out her frustrations.
OOC:
Charge the mob!
Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm
OOC:
I'll throw a mental bolt at the mob. Will psi bonus factor in? Standard action, then move right, behind the barrier.

Rolls

Bolt (1d20+3{FOC?}) - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Apr 10, 2017 4:59 pm
OOC:
Klone: Do you mean you're using your Bolt aspect or just a basic attack? Bolt doesn't need a roll but the target would need to be in an adjacent tile. Although if it's a basic attack, then yeah Psi applies: +2 to the d20 skill roll and the 1d8 roll.

Iriah: I'll assume that Ailith is using her Charge aspect, but I'm going to go post about her character build before I action that!
Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm
Kree's simulation

Kree throws herself at the gangsters within seconds of their appearance. Grim-faced men in suits who maintain their dour expressions even when one of their number gets a bottle of Akover brandy to the face. He collapses, but his comrades open fire in retaliation. Photon bolts streak towards their mark.
OOC:
[ +- ] Map and stats

Rolls

Kree's charge! - (1d20+9, 1d8+9)

1d20+9 : (18) + 9 = 27

1d8+9 : (4) + 9 = 13

Kree's Debuff - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Gangster's skill (rolling twice for Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Gangster's skill (rolling twice for Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Gangster's ability - (1d8+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm
That's always the danger, when they bring guns to a fistfight. Singed clothing, even blisters. She watches the simulation deform her 'flesh' while she fly kicks a gangster, and pushes off him to knee the other in the nose. A heel to the throat for each ends the party prematurely.

Hmm. No, she's still drunk, and angry about something she can't quite remember. Maybe it's time for more of a challenge.

As the sim resets, she requests the zombies. And sighs, seeing her brandy bottle reform empty again. Oh, yes. Now she remembers.
OOC:
So I have a couple of options here - empower Warpath to keep the buff and make another attack roll, or spend Bloodlust if I want to up the damage. However, with a Buff of 5, I can just spend Zealot and Lethal the mob, which I believe ends it for them, right?

And, do aspects/EPs/Buffs reset between encounters in the sim? I'll Charge again if so.
Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm
The defeated gangsters melt away, as does the environment. It rebuilds itself, re-centring around Kree, wiping clean the scorch marks and blood stains. The zombies appear, of the green and putrescent fantasy variety. Kree can hear the buzzing of flies. The smell is unpleasant, but muted. The beta testers must have protested when the odour of rotten flesh was more realistic.

Kree springs forward. Rinse and repeat: another bottle, another faceful of broken glass. But the zombie remains standing. Kree practically has to decapitate the freakish creature to keep it down. The others claw and grasp at her, shuffling forward and moaning. They tug at her clothes and rake bony fingers over her flesh: there's incredible strength in those scrawny arms.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Lethal hit - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Kree's charge, again - (1d20+9, 1d8+9)

1d20+9 : (15) + 9 = 24

1d8+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Kree's Debuff - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Zombie attack (Disadvantage) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

(7) = 7

Zombie damage - (1d4+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm
OOC:
it was a standard attack. Its like a concentrated EMP that target the nervous system to cause damage.
Apr 11, 2017 10:51 pm
Clone 29's simulation

http://i.imgur.com/tzdVh57.png

He reaches out with his psi. One of the axemen lurches, and then seizes up altogether, keeling over like a felled tree as neurons misfire and muscles involuntarily tense. The other three ignore their fallen comrade and sprint forward, waving their weapons around in wild swings, carving up the meagre cover and aiming to do the same to flesh and bone.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

29's skill (Advantage) - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

29's damage (inc. speciality) - (1d8+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

29's skill roll (Advantage) - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Charging axemen - (1d20+4, 1d6+8)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d6+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

Axemen's Debuff - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Critical hit! - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Kree's Buff (edited in: forgot she earned it!) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Apr 12, 2017 1:03 am
OOC:
Crap, just properly reread Brawler. Was going to use an EP to apply 7 minor attacks, lol. Guess I have to change tactics.
She thinks she's seen this in a holovid, or maybe done it one of the interactive ones. If you're not strong enough to consistently tear someone's head off, the best way to deal blunt trauma is to throw it to the ground. And the best way to do that, well ...

She steps under the reaching bony fingers, grabs a waist, and begins to suplex them. Head, meet pavement ...
OOC:
So I'm not sure what buff she got, but if it was 2+ I'm gonna spend Warpath, Bloodlust, and use Brawler's EP.
Apr 12, 2017 4:43 am
OOC:
thank you for the rundown, and the patience with grasping mechanics.
To refine the speciality I've chosen, instead of the mind control, its more like what I wrote in the descriptive text: an EMP. Might as well be the title.
This time I'll use bolt as a full action. Cutting description to focus on learning the mechanics real quick.
Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am
Kree's simulation

Kree suplexes the zombie. Its head pops: thoroughly unrealistic but whoever coded this encounter must have wanted to up the gore. The other undead continue their assault but fail to lay a hand (or tooth) on her.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Clone 29's simulation

His primary target falls and the axeman's nearest ally also freezes up and collapses, having been weakened from his close proximity to the first attack.

The last man standing screams and redoubles his efforts: it's all the challenger can do to avoid being hacked to pieces. These enemies must have been programmed to be particularly vengeful...
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's attack - (1d20+9, 1d8+10)

1d20+9 : (14) + 9 = 23

1d8+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

(18) = 18

(14) = 14

Zombie damage - (1d4+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

C29's full attack (Advantage) - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

C29's full attack (Advantage) - (1d20+9)

(9) + 9 = 18

C29's ability roll - (1d8+12)

(2) + 12 = 14

Last axeman's attack - (1d20+4, 1d4+5)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d4+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Axeman morale (+WIL) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm
OOC:
I actually meant the full-round ability to deal 3 HP of damage, but this works! Lol I'm sorry if I'm not catching on well, thanks for showing me how to play! The debuff confused me, is that from esoteric last round? And am I correct in assuming the bolt ability would have dealt 3NP worth of damage had they failed a save?
Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm
OOC:
Here's a question - can you use the Charge EP without moving the 1 tile? I imagine not. So I'll have her move away with a minor action then use the Charge EP. Like taking a run up!
She leaps to her feet out of the suplex and jumps over the next zombie, cuffing his head on the way past. Maybe they aren't so tough after all. She sprints away, turns on a dime, and comes back into a fly kick at the nearest zombie. She keys her implant on the way, looking for any other targets in range. As the juice hits, she takes the time to check if her toes are clean.
OOC:
Trying out the neurachem shot.
Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm
Nerves take one last glance around the simulator before keying in the scenario. Guys with axes. Guys with Pistols. Gotta be both.
Gotta expect the worst.
He shivers a little bit in anticipation of his surely soon to be virtual demise.

I can do this. Probably.
Apr 12, 2017 10:24 pm
OOC:
Klone: right on all counts! Sorry about that, but hey at least you dealt the same number of hits as the aspect would've! The Debuff was actually something the axemen applied to themselves when they used their Charge aspect in the earlier turn: the same ability that Kree has, in fact.
Kree's simulation

The zombies didn't exactly have quicksilver reflexes in the first place, but they're moving in slow-motion now. The cracks of bone become low rumbles, the spurts of blood hang in the air as Kree moves between them, rebounding from corpse to corpse until they decide to give up on the whole "walking" thing.

The last zombie makes a half-hearted swipe at Kree. Literally: this one is missing a chunk of torso.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+14)

1d20+13 : (3) + 13 = 16

1d8+14 : (7) + 14 = 21

(3) = 3

(14) = 14

Zombie damage - (1d4+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Apr 12, 2017 10:44 pm
Nerves' simulation

The simulation stalls for a split-second as it considers how to combine the enemy choices. It settles on a Mercenary League unit: three scouts with pistols, four troopers with standard-issue axes. Why all seven of them are in fatigues without body armour remains unaddressed.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information
Apr 13, 2017 12:32 am
Nerves looks for the nearest cover and dives for it, four-on-one melee wasn't going to be much practice if he just got shot first. Wait a second, if they're Mercs, they've got Smart Pistols with tracking and triggerlocks...

Moving quickly, Nerves triggers his HUD and sends a prepackaged viral wrecking ball towards the pistols' firmware. It's not a finesse job, and was most likely overkill, but Nerves didn't want a fair fight if he could afford to skip it.
OOC:
Combo: HUD plus Lockout maneuver on the Pistols, Spend the Power for hopefully full disables
Apr 13, 2017 10:42 am
Nerves' simulation

The simulated scouts don't show any surprise when their pistols abruptly stop working, but they do fall back to cover, perhaps to see if they can restart their weapons. The answer is: no.

(Much later, when browsing the simulation logs, Nerves finds a massive log of error messages: generated as the program struggled to understand why the pistols it simulated now had the firmware of an Ahmteller Good Morning Toaster™.)

The axe-wielding Mercs move forward and fling rocks and debris at Nerves' position. They're reasonable shots, although it doesn't seem in-keeping with Mercenary doctrine.

http://i.imgur.com/q5JelwB.png
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves' Lockout encounter power - (1d20+16, 1d6+14)

1d20+16 : (1) + 16 = 17

1d6+14 : (4) + 14 = 18

Axe Mercs ranged attack - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm
OOC:
Questions!

1) So I disabled the Pistols resource - they can still make ranged attacks though, right? Just with incidentals and not their specialized gear?

2) I see you rolled my original "attack" against the Pistols with my STR value. Because it's a hacking/tech effect wouldn't MND or FOC make more sense?

3) When does the Exploit against my attackers from Underestimated come into effect? If immediately, then my +2 to defending from Opportunist's passive should offset their +2 against me for my Exploit?

4) How does Opportunist's interrupt work? Do I basically get an extra attack that round?

As for my turn, I want to attack the Axe Mercs as many times as possible in Melee using the Assassinate and Opportunist Passive effects
Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm
Nerves' simulation
The axe Mercs move closer, ready to spring their attack, thinking of the Kerenth as a non-combatant who's used a hacking trick but is now out of ideas.

A fatal mistake. Nerves steps out of cover, swinging a purple-blue hard light blade straight through the nearest chest. Nerves continues the movement, cleaving through another Merc and then abruptly leaning back and reversing the motion into an overarm swing. A severed axehead falls to the ground, followed by a severed arm.

Seeing this, the final axeman throws his own weapon aside and begins running. The simulation will de-spawn him shortly.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves attack 1 - (1d20+8, 1d6+8)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d6+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Nerves attack 2 - (1d20+8, 1d6+8)

1d20+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

1d6+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Critical hit! - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Last axe Merc's morale - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm
A quick flurry of a dozen blows to the half-torso and head should dispatch it. It's not effective but it is good technique. Her instructors used to say that an awful lot, come to think of it ...

As the sim deforms, she selects the heavy gunner. It won't be the first time she's had to outrun machine gun fire. Or, more accurately, construct fire prediction cones on the fly.
OOC:
I'm assuming one attack will KO the mob, and if it misses it should only take one more hit. Nothing fancy, she'll just make a straight full-turn attack.

This time for the gunner, instead of the full-turn Charge she'll make a minor move forward and use the Charge EP. Last round that Debuff was no joke! This is assuming he spawns on the opposite side of a similar sized arena.
Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm
Kree's simulation

Kree puts the zombie to rest. Mercifully loading a new opponent cleans away the blood and the stench. The buzzing of flies is replaced by the humming of a charging plasma rifle...

Correction: heavy plasma rifle, "Warden" class. The new arrival is a Domarian. For some reason the simulated Legionary is wearing a dress uniform rather than powered armour, presumably so laypersons recognise her as part of the Domarian Legion. Not that they've got the uniform quite right.

(As always, Kree can notice a few slight mistakes: for starters, what self-respecting Legionary wears their 5-year service medal on display? Everyone has one of those. Even technicians in the damn Maintenance Association.)

Kree darts forward and punches the woman, hard. The Legionary's head snaps back but she quickly re-centres herself, steadies her rifle, and shoots Kree point blank.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+10)

1d20+13 : (19) + 13 = 32

1d8+10 : (6) + 10 = 16

Critical hit! - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Apr 13, 2017 5:35 pm
OOC:
Hah, ouch. I've been looking at this a bit and I'm sorta dead if I stick around for much longer - she's rolling with a crazy amount of bonuses, and Finisher would exhaust me immediately. So I need to end it early. I'll use the neurachem again and spend Zealot. If I succeed, I can learn what Lethal hits do to bosses.
Eyes watering from the plasma burst sizzling past her face, Kree thanks her lucky stars it's only a dress uniform. Were it said powered armour, this fight might've been over before it began; as it is, there's perhaps an even chance she 'lives'.

Kree tries to remember battle doctrine for asymmetric engagements. Something to do with getting inside their guard, she thinks, and elbows. The Warden's barrel glows evilly toward her as she dives to engage.
Apr 13, 2017 7:10 pm
Kree's simulation

Noting that you'd need a lot of upper-body strength to wield a rifle of that size without power-assistance, Kree directs blow after blow at the gunner's ribs, neck, collarbone... then, when the Legionary is over-focused on defending those spots, Kree grabs one arm and tries to wrench it out of its socket.

Although hurt, the Legionary breaks free from the hold. And that's when she makes her second mistake.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Gunner's guard - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm
OOC:
I'm thinking Nerves' HALP system generates basically the Omni-Blades and Sentinel Shielding from Mass Effect as standard - other implements as warranted. Purple is a good color for it
[ +- ] Dual Wielding!
This round I want to use my Overload Passive to sacrifice the Drones resource to give myself the Critical Trait next round, which I will use to move into Melee and dice 'em up
Nerves doesn't have much time to gloat over the running Axe Merc as he realizes his enthusiastic entrance into direct combat has left him open to whatever guns the Pistol Mercs still have left. Moving quickly he grabs two devices from his belt - oblong shapes that begin to reform their 'shells' into wings and rotors even as Nerves flings them in a high arc towards the remaining enemies.

The drones never really have time to stabilize their flight before Nerves triggers their self-destruct code that turns them into smoky balls of shrapnel.
Last edited April 14, 2017 8:50 pm
Apr 14, 2017 9:33 pm
Nerves' simulation

Nerves is prepared to deflect and dodge whatever comes next, but the Mercs' shots go wide regardless. What are they even using? Their backup weapons certainly don't seem to be standard issue. This simulation is full of holes.

After their volley the Mercenaries huddle down below the cover, which just means that the detonating recon drones' razor-sharp debris plunges deep into their exposed backs. Nerves hops over the cover, stabbing the two sprawled Mercs in the neck while they're still trying to get back up.

The last one, having noted the example set by his axe-wielding comrade, throws away the tiny backup pistol and runs. He's certainly a better sprinter than he is a marksman.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves' guard roll - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Mercs' attack (Advantage) - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mercs' attack (Advantage) - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Mercs' ability - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Nerves' standard attack - (1d20+3, 1d6+4)

1d20+3 : (16) + 3 = 19

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Mercs' morale (+WIL) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm
The natural instinct when someone is besting you in a melee is to disengage. Kree waits for the moment, and simply hooks her foot round the gunner's, neatly tripping her. She dives after the falling woman, aiming a fist in her throat.
OOC:
I shall do as you recommend, Ed!
Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am
Kree's simulation
Kree strikes the Legionary's neck with all the force she can muster. The gunner lies still. Kree expects some sort of trick: for the rifle to self-destruct, for the Legionary herself to self-destruct, but nothing of the sort happens. She won.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Lethal hit - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Skill roll - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm
OOC:
Ed if you could set up an interesting arena for Nerves and Kree to go toe to toe in, that'd be cool.

Maybe throw in some mooks for fun!
Apr 19, 2017 6:50 pm
OOC:
I'd be up to get thrown in the mix too, maybe a simulated group battle or just a free-for-all! We can call my character Dr. Zephyr for now, not sure if that'll stick :)
Last edited April 19, 2017 7:07 pm
Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm
Nerves/Kree/Dr. Zephyr Deathmatch

http://imgur.com/GbvS4bT.png
OOC:
The thick orange lines are heavy cover (+4 Df, +4 armour rating). Clone 29 is welcome to drop in too, of course. You can fight among yourselves for a bit and/or I can spawn a boss of some sort depending on what everyone decides.

Because this is PvP initiative needs to be rolled for. Roll 1d20+AGI or FOC, no talent allowed! That'll establish the action order. On a 16+, you also have Advantage for your first turn.
Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm
As the simulation spools up and Dr. Zephyr's pixelated form materializes and smooths out, he is standing straight-backed with his hands clasped behind him; tall and stoic. From behind his back he calmly draws his Personal Modular Mortar; a large handcannon in the style of the old-timey slug-thrower revolvers, except this one has an over-sized rotating cylinder to hold all different kinds of explosive cartridges. He spreads his arms wide, glances between his two compatriots and speaks in a deep, almost resonating voice with his trademark existentialism.

"Right here, right now, in this simulation, we are enemies. Any relationships we enjoy in the Material Plane, be they friend, co-worker, or otherwise, are temporarily suspended in my mind and in my actions. Shall we begin?"
Last edited April 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Rolls

Initiative roll [+FOC] - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Apr 19, 2017 10:55 pm
As the gunner is replaced by her crew mates, Kree double-takes. Who started this battle royale? She browses the sim's logs with one eye, the other flicking between Nerves and Zephyr.

She whistles a frontier tune. One of the ones about standoffs.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Apr 21, 2017 10:06 pm
Nerves crouches in anticipation. Two of them. One of me. Don't like it, not one bit. His tail twitches back and forth as the HALP system comes online, covering his body in a deep glowing purple light.

"Who draws first?" he says, extending the blades down his arms.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm
OOC:
Looks like it's you, speedy!
Apr 22, 2017 5:45 pm
Nerves head fakes moving in Kree's direction before rolling behind the heavy cover nearest Dr. Zephyr. As he moves, Nerves triggers one of his drones, which whirs into action hovering over his shoulder and blasting rapid-fire ion rounds at the Desz medic.
OOC:
So just a F hit only ranged attack against Dr. Z, drone just for flavor not using the inspiration bonus yet
Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm
http://imgur.com/DJ4brt8.png
OOC:
All right, no Resource for this attack so as you say F-hits only, and as a ranged attack it defaults to AGI|FOC.

So I'll present it as 1d20+FOC, 1d4+AGI, so that's +3 and +1 respectively. In fact Nerves and Dr. Z have the same AGI and FOC attribute scores.

Dr. Zephyr's FOC is 3, so the ability roll doesn't meet it (no bonus hit), but the skill roll beats the Df. Dr. Zephyr takes 1 Fatigue hit, 7/8 HP remaining.

Rolls

Nerves' ranged attack - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Apr 24, 2017 12:30 am
As the ion charges pelt Dr. Zephyr he stumbles back a step or two, however it appears to be more from surprise than anything else. He turns his masked face silently towards Nerves and pulls back his lips to reveal an extraordinarily inordinate number of teeth packed into his mouth in a humorless (and terrifying) smile.
OOC:
Initiative just goes in order of rolls, correct? So Kree is up next?
Apr 24, 2017 11:33 pm
As best Kree understands the rules of a standoff, she's now obligated to attack Nerves. It's only fair.
OOC:
Gonna use the charge EP.
Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am
http://i.imgur.com/oSOmc8l.png
OOC:
All right, so Nerves has AGI 1, FOC 3, so the FOC 1 applies here as Kree's natural roll was enough to Aggravate his Resistance (twice the Df, 14+, in fact she very nearly scored a critical). Even taking Nerves' 2 armour rating into account (from his Hard Light Projector) that 15 ability is over ten points higher than his Resistance: so it should be 1 hit base, then 2 hits from the high ability roll...

But this is the first time Nerves has been attacked! His Underestimated aspect triggers, saddling Kree with an Exploit, and then Opportunist kicks in: although the +2 speciality bonus against that attack isn't quite enough to save him from a hit. So Nerves is still down 3: 5/8 HP remaining.

And speaking of Opportunist, Nerves will also get to make an additional free standard attack against Kree in his turn (or, technically, he could've done it as an interrupt) and one of those attacks will deal +1N hit because of Assassinate. But at least Kree generated a decent Buff to defend herself with!

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+10)

1d20+13 : (18) + 13 = 31

1d8+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm
OOC:
Ok, I'm gonna try to work through Dr. Zephyr's turn myself. He will spend his minor action to move to the adjacent tile with cover *away* from the melee combat in progress. Then for his standard action he will activate *both* abilities in his Splash Aspect, spending 1HP and 1EP. He will not use his one resource slot for his weapon, keeping the damage at d4 and F-hits only, but the attack will affect both Kree and Nerves and I will roll double ability dice and mods for damage. A basic attack from Dr. Zephyr would not activate the "Explosives" specialty in my opinion, however if he activates at least one effect from Splash (2 in this case) OR if he activates his weapon resource I would call either of those things an explosive attack for the extra +2 specialty.

Not sure how Kree's & Nerves' Df and Rs are going to shake out, but let me know if the above mechanics sound correct?
Dr. Zephyr watches Kree leap across the grid and engage in hand-to-hand combat with Nerves. Ignored for the moment, he calmly walks away from the duo to stand behind one of the AR screens raised for cover. He spins his oversized revolver chamber, reaches into the messenger bag hanging off his shoulder, pulls out a large bullet-shaped cartridge, and pops it into the revolver just as it stops spinning. Pointing his PMM up into the air, he lets it fire with a *BANG* *SHOOOM*! As the mortar bullet arcs into the air and starts its downward trajectory, it breaks apart into a dozen smaller pieces and arcs of electricity begin to alight between each one. As they land, the surrounding area is pelted with stun energy.

Rolls

Dr. Zephyr's Splash Attack [FOC] + Combat + Explosives - (1d20+7, 2d4+14)

1d20+7 : (11) + 7 = 18

2d4+14 : (24) + 14 = 20

Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm
OOC:
Looks more or less right to me! One little change needed: to determine the Resistance targeted, an attack needs to use a different attribute for each modifier (one for skill, one for ability). As a ranged attack without a Resource I usually default to AGI|FOC. So the skill modifier would be 2 points lower but even accounting for heavy cover (+4 Df) the total roll (now 16) still lands a hit.

Kree is 4|3, Nerves is 1|3, and their Resistances weren't Aggravated or Enhanced so you just take highest, 4 and 3 respectively. You also need to take into account the bonus armour from the cover: +4 AR, and Nerves' further +2 thanks to his HALP Resource. So Kree has Rs 8, Nerves has Rs 9. Yet that huge ability roll still beats these by 10 points or more, so...

Both Nerves and Kree take 3 F hits! Nerves 2/8HP remaining, Kree 3/6HP remaining!

Oh, and both Kree and Dr Z. are at 2/3 EP. One more thing: unless otherwise stated, using the Edge version of an Empower aspect includes the HP passive effect, so you don't need to spend 1HP, just the EP!

P.S. Kree has a Buff of 5 and is entitled to spend that when resisting an attack, which would let her avoid 1F hit in this instance, but I thought Iriah might want to hold on to it for Warpath shenanigans.
Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm
OOC:
Cool, I think I'm getting the hang of this! I saw the split attribute rule on the weapon resource page, but I wasn't sure if that applied across the board or *only* when activating your resource. Good to know.
Apr 25, 2017 7:41 pm
Nerves makes an educated guess on the type of incoming pain Dr. Zephyr is about to unload, and gets lucky. Even as the stunning arcs of electricity being to rain down on them, Nerves reconfigures the HALP system into a power conduit, transferring the field of energy into a directed pulse straight into Kree. The resulting lightshow is incredibly hard to look at.
OOC:
Okay, so I am not sure about the action economy with "Spending" a non-EP power and using an EP in the same turn. But if I can do both, I want to use the EP to Surge. Otherwise, I am just going to hit Kree with my free attack from Opportunist, the free +1N from Assassinate, and then Spend Opportunist for an additional +2N on my standard attack against Kree. Also, Dr. Z picks up an Exploit from that as well.

Rolls

Nerves Free Attack on Kree (FOC) + Tech + Opportunist Bonus/(MND) + Tech - (1d20+7, 1d4+6)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d4+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

Nerves Standard Attack on Kree (FOC) + Tech + Opportunist Bonus/(MND) + Tech - (1d20+7, 1d4+6)

1d20+7 : (14) + 7 = 21

1d4+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm
OOC:
Okay spending an aspect while spending an EP on Surge is legal, so Nerves is at 6/8 HP, 2/3 EP.

Kree's Df is still 7, as I don't think she should be able to use her Combat talent rank against this attack type.

Natural roll on first attack is below the Df 7 so Kree's STR|MND Resistance is Enhanced: 3. On the second attack the natural roll is twice her Df so that Resistance is Aggravated: 1.

First attack scores 2 hits. Second attack scores 2 as well, but came perilously close to landing 3, only needed two more ability.

So that's 4 hits, +1N from Assassinate, +2N from spending Opportunist. Kree takes 7 hits! Obscene...

Kree is at 0/6 HP and Iriah has a choice to make: spend an Edge point and suffer an Injury, or risk rolling for the Lethal hit.

After depleting those two Hit Points, that's still 5 hits to account for. 1 becomes a Lethal hit, and each hit after that hit adds +2 to the Lethal hit's roll. So that's 1d4+8 versus an attribute score of Iriah's choice.

However, I'm going to opt to spend the Edge as there's no way Kree can survive 1d4+8 versus any attribute score... Kree's at 0/6 HP with 1/3 EP remaining and must pick an attribute to apply an Injury to, halving its score and losing any aspects tied to it.

(In different circumstances you might just opt to spare the EP and fail the roll and get taken out of the fight, as a party member might be on hand to try a revive action, but in a free-for-all that's not really an option)

And Dr. Zephyr now has an Exploit too, of course.
Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm
OOC:
Can I take an injury on STR if I only have 1 in it? I'll probably take that if I can.

Then I'll spend Warpath and attack Dr. Z.

edit: Just realised Z is not in this tile. Heck with that, I don't have the EP to spare for my Charge. I'll go for Nerves again.
"No-two-on-one!" Kree yells in between punches, aware that her computer-muscles are protesting with strain.
Last edited April 26, 2017 3:58 pm
Apr 26, 2017 4:33 pm
OOC:
A PC gets to pick any attribute to apply an Injury to, so STR is fine. However you'll lose Brawler as that's tied to STR as part of your current build: doesn't make an enormous difference, but the new version of Brawler grants a minor counterattack when guarding, which might've been helpful.

After the heal, Kree has 5/6 HP remaining and an Injury to her STR (score now 0). Warpath has also been spent.

You didn't specify so I've taken liberty of rolling a standard attack for Kree and a minor guard action rather than making one full attack. I reckon she'll get more mileage from the guard (even without Brawler) than she would the full attack's +2 bonus. Applying CQC's speciality bonus to the skill rather than the ability, so that's 1d20+9, 1d8+6 again.

Oof, poor guard roll, so her Df says 7. Good attack roll at least, so Nerves' Resistance is Aggravated, just 1. Nerves takes 2 hits, 4/8 HP remaining. Kree also generates a new Buff as she scored an N hit.

Rolls

Kree's guard - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Kree's standard attack - (1d20+9, 1d8+6)

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

1d8+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(3) = 3

You do not have permission to post in this thread.