OOC Discussion

May 11, 2015 9:41 pm
Welcome to Blood & Lightning! This is my first time running a game on GamersPlane, so I'm hoping the site will be a good fit for gameplay. I'll be running us through a published adventure, but if the story takes off and everyone wants to continue once the 'official' adventure is over, I'd be happy to keep it going. I've also seen that there's usually a lot more role-play in a PbP than at a table, so the adventure might not go quite as it's written, and that's fine by me! :)

Feel free to introduce your characters here and ask/answer any Out Of Character (OOC) questions. If you need help with your character creation, you can either ask here or PM me.

Once we get started, I'm planning on posting twice a week, but I'd be willing to make additional posts if the situation demands it (you need a quick response, etc). I'd like to schedule my posts to be on the same days each week so we can maintain pace in the story, but I want some input from the players on which days those ought to be. Thoughts?

One of they key components of 13th Age is the Icon Relationships, and the corresponding rolls. When played at the table, this normally happens at the beginning of each play session, but due to the constraints of a PbP, I'm going to put that at the beginning of each in-game day. So when your characters get a night's rest in-game, they will begin the next morning with an Icon Relationship Roll. I'll be sure to remind you when the time comes for those rolls.

Thanks for playing!
May 11, 2015 10:03 pm
Looking forward to this! I'm ok with any day(s) of the week really as it's PbP :-)

Regarding characters I'm toying with the idea of playing a Chaos Mage. I've never played one before, but I'm aware it 's a bit of a challenge & can get pretty crazy, and some of the High Weirdness can affect the other party members, not just the mage. So if all of you are ok with that I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, no problem I'll play something else :-)
May 11, 2015 10:27 pm
Think I'm going to stick to something basic for this one. Perhaps a human ranger...
May 11, 2015 10:37 pm
Hi gang. So I had three character immediately jump to the front of the line and I couldn't pick which one I wanted to play. Thankfully szemely and Jabes took two of them so I can run with a cleric. Haven't decided on race yet, and while healing will be a thing the character can do, it won't be the only trick. As I hammer out more details I'll post again.
May 12, 2015 12:44 am
Oh...and how should we generate stats? Dice or points...other?
May 12, 2015 12:50 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Looking forward to this! I'm ok with any day(s) of the week really as it's PbP :-)

Regarding characters I'm toying with the idea of playing a Chaos Mage. I've never played one before, but I'm aware it 's a bit of a challenge & can get pretty crazy, and some of the High Weirdness can affect the other party members, not just the mage. So if all of you are ok with that I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, no problem I'll play something else :-)
I don't have a problem with you using a Chaos Mage. I'll re-read through that class to make sure I have a good handle on all the mechanics, but play the character you want to play! :)
foolsmask says:
Oh...and how should we generate stats? Dice or points...other?
I'll leave the decision as to whether to use dice or points up to you. There are pros and cons to each, but I don't think mixing it will have that much of an impact on the game.
May 12, 2015 1:26 am
IF we wanted to go with dice how would we go about it? Attach rolls to a post here? I don't know the syntax for "4d6 drop lowest" on GP. On Roll20 it's 4d6k3.
May 12, 2015 1:30 am
I always roll 20. Even with 3d6. It's a gift! :-)

(I'll be using the point system)
May 12, 2015 1:36 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
IF we wanted to go with dice how would we go about it? Attach rolls to a post here? I don't know the syntax for "4d6 drop lowest" on GP. On Roll20 it's 4d6k3.
I'd say for character creation, just roll it on your own. I'll trust you to be honest. ;)
May 12, 2015 1:40 am
njohn858 says:
I'd say for character creation, just roll it on your own. I'll trust you to be honest. ;)
Normally I'd stick to point buy here but since I'm playing a chaos mage, CHAOS ALL THE WAY, right?! :-D I'll be honest with the rolls, scout's honor.
May 12, 2015 11:43 am
Tiefling Chaos Mage. Acceptable?

From the rulebook:
Tiefling Racial Power: Curse of Chaos
Once per battle as a free action when a nearby enemy rolls a natural 1-5 on an attack or save, turn their roll into a natural 1 and improvise a further curse that shows how their attempt backfires horribly... A typical curse might lead to the cursed attacker dealing half damage to themselves with their fumbled attack and being dazed until the end of their next turn. ...

Tiefling is my 1st choice. 2nd choice, I'll probably go Dark Elf :-)
Last edited May 12, 2015 11:44 am
May 12, 2015 1:24 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Tiefling Chaos Mage. Acceptable?

From the rulebook:
Tiefling Racial Power: Curse of Chaos
Once per battle as a free action when a nearby enemy rolls a natural 1-5 on an attack or save, turn their roll into a natural 1 and improvise a further curse that shows how their attempt backfires horribly... A typical curse might lead to the cursed attacker dealing half damage to themselves with their fumbled attack and being dazed until the end of their next turn. ...

Tiefling is my 1st choice. 2nd choice, I'll probably go Dark Elf :-)
Tiefling is fine with me. When that power triggers, just run what you want the effect to be do by me before posting it.
May 12, 2015 1:55 pm
njohn858 says:
Tiefling is fine with me. When that power triggers, just run what you want the effect to be do by me before posting it.
Cool! Thanks! :-)
May 12, 2015 2:21 pm
Ok, you're never gonna believe the stats I got on my second roll! (The first roll gave me three 7's so I hope it's ok that I threw it out) Online Die Roller (screencap)
Last edited May 13, 2015 1:54 pm
May 12, 2015 6:41 pm
OK...definitely going with a Wood Elf Cleric. Beauty, Strength & Sun Domain. One unique thing: Child of two gods, cursed with mortal form to prove a point. So the question I a have is about the deities of the world. I get that the gods are distant and the Icons are more important, so I have a few ideas for what I would do but I don't want to tread on anyone else's ideas. So any thoughts or opinions?
May 12, 2015 10:03 pm
foolsmask says:
OK...definitely going with a Wood Elf Cleric. Beauty, Strength & Sun Domain. One unique thing: Child of two gods, cursed with mortal form to prove a point. So the question I a have is about the deities of the world. I get that the gods are distant and the Icons are more important, so I have a few ideas for what I would do but I don't want to tread on anyone else's ideas. So any thoughts or opinions?
I don't think much has been said about the pantheon in the Dragon Empire (at least officially), and I'm not planning on doing much with them, but if you want to use that as your OUT, then I'll allow it. It won't have any mechanical benefit, but feel free to use it as a way of injecting flavor into the story.
May 12, 2015 10:39 pm
Yes the official "text in the book" says that they intentionally left it open for players and GMs to define. So, I understand how Uniques are supposed to work, when you say "you aren't planning to do much with them" do you mean "The gods" or the uniques?
May 13, 2015 1:05 am
I mean the gods. I'll definitely be using the One Unique Things. ;)
May 13, 2015 1:17 am
OK. I figured that's what you meant but I wanted to be sure
May 13, 2015 2:07 am
Nyíl Íj is a female human ranger. Still working on the One Unique Thing, Icon Relationships, and backgrounds, but I think I have the detail stuff taken care of.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.