Rage Mage

May 1, 2017 12:55 pm
I'm absolutely certain many others have had this idea before: Rage Mage, Spell Rager, call it what you will, this person is a raging, a barely-contained living reservoir of raw, seething, eldritch power.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a4/02/e0/a402e0f9241dd6131ff3b9d2223ad4a5.jpg

I'm not talking about a spellcasting barbarian, but a full caster who rages. He will most certainly use Charisma as his spellcasting ability. I see bits and pieces of him in the Wild Magic and Phoenix sorcerous origins, but neither of those quite fit what I envision. I look at those two subclasses, as well as Barbarian Rage and also Bladesong, and mash them all together. It's probably unbalanced AF so I'd love to hear everybody's ideas to make this viable.
[ +- ] Barbarian Rage
[ +- ] Bladesong
[ +- ] Phoenix Sorcerer's Mantle of Flame
Spell Rage
• Bonus action to enter Spell Rage.
• Must not be wearing medium or heavy armor (nor a shield?).
• Elemental damage resistance?
• Spell damage bonus equal to spellcasting ability modifier.
• AC bonus equal to spellcasting ability modifier?
• Cannot cast spells that require Concentration.
• No advantage on skill checks?
• No speed bonus.
• Must attack or take damage, or else Spell Rage ends.
• All spells cast while spell raging trigger a Wild Magic Surge.

After we nail this Spell Rage (if you've got aa better name let's hear it) that's only the defining feature of this subclass. As a sorcerous origin what else, if anything, does it get at 1st level? And what else at 6th, 14th, and 18th level, which is when subclass features usually roll in?

Most importantly, who's going to let me play one in their game? :-D
Last edited May 1, 2017 3:22 pm
May 1, 2017 1:51 pm
This was fun! I took what you had and tweaked it a little bit and came up with this. I backed out the AC bonus portion as it didn't seem like something a ragey person would get. However, I through in a temp HP pool to give you more of that "fighting through blindly" kind of rage-feel. Same with disallowing "Careful Spell". Wild Surge I set to 50% to still have some of that "does it happen or does it not" feel, could easily put it back to full time. Added in a light armor proficiency.

Added an advantage on intimidation, because yeah. Also added in a resistance to psychic damage. When you are ragey, you are both scary and out of your mind.

As it goes up, you gain the whole "people hurt just because they touch me" thing, as well as the ability to keep a fury running without the "attack or take damage" requirement. Similar to how barbs eventually get their rage to only end when they want.
1st Level
Arcane Fury - You can enter a state of arcane fury as a bonus action on your turn. While in this state, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor:
- Add your CHA modifier to all spell damage. If the spell already includes this bonus, you add the bonus a second time.
- Advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks.
- You cannot cast spells which require concentration.
- You have resistance to psychic damage.
- Any spell cast cannot be modified by the Careful Spell metamagic ability.
- Any spell cast of 1st level or higher have a 50% chance of triggering a Wild Magic Surge.
- Gain temporary hit points equal to your CHA modifier when you enter arcane fury.

Arcane Fury lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you do not attack or if you do not take damage.

Gain proficiency with Light Armor.

6th Level
Retribution of the Furious - Starting at 6th level, whenever you enter an Arcane Fury, you are surrounded by an arcane storm. Any creature takes force damage equal to your CHA modifier if it hits you with a melee attack or if it touches you.

Sorcerous Prolongation - If you do not take damage or attack, you can spend 2 Sorcery Point as a bonus action to maintain your arcane fury. This cost is reduced to 1 Sorcery Point at 11th level, and to 0 points at 15th level.

14th Level
Furious Recovery - Starting at 14th level, whenever you deal damage with a spell during your arcane fury, you recover hit points equal to the spell's slot plus your CHA modifier.

18th Level
Furious Empowerment - Starting at 18th level, all of your spellcasts during your arcane fury are backed by your seething arcane power. Every spell behaves as if it was cast with the Empowered Spell metamagic effect without consuming sorcery points.
May 1, 2017 3:14 pm
I could see this being a Warlock/Barbarian/Wild Mage Combo
May 1, 2017 3:24 pm
@andrewdnd1990 The problem with multiclassing Barbarian with any spellcasting class is that you can't cast spells when in a Barbarian Rage.

@Dramasailor: I love it! Now when are you going to run another game, so I can playtest this bad boy? :-D
May 1, 2017 3:33 pm
Hehe, I've been kicking around a few ideas. Trying to figure out which way I'd like to go and if I can support it. :)
Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm
I say Negative Charisma gives more ridge power

You do not have permission to post in this thread.