Exigency: Worldcarrier Sigma

load previous
May 7, 2017 8:21 pm
The tram makes two more stops and then pulls into a station that dwarfs everything that came before. This is the very heart of Sigma. Generator stacks the size of skyscrapers, wreathed in rings of vapour, all emitting a constant hum.

The team changes trams, leaving Ferrin to continue on with a small handful of technicians. The next transport is little more than a box of rust. It accelerates down a winding slope, grinding and rumbling, eventually drawing to a halt in complete darkness. Then the systems detect the ten human workers and engage the lights.

It's very warm, contrasting oddly with the icy-blue lighting. As much as they might want to shed layers, all the workers are nonetheless in hazmat gear. Even the walls seem to be sweating with condensation. A supervisor taps something into a console, and the cramped and oppressive interior unfurls. Hatches and struts fold away to reveal pipes, chutes... and banks of computers.

"All right people," shouts a short bald corporate supervisor with a voice that shames megaphones, "we have thirty minutes, then we're moving on to shaft 2A. You've probably heard about the Association absences, and we'll make a complaint about that, rest assured, but right now we're down five and we'll have to work tomorrow too—" at this, the assembled technicians groan. The speaker waves a hand sympathetically— "but it can't be helped. We won't be off-peak forever, and they need this core back online before—"

A gunshot rings out. The supervisor slumps forward. People shout, scream, and there's another shot, and another, bursts of fire lighting up the chamber in pulses of red. Only four people remain on their feet at the end of it.

The "technician" puts his plasma repeater away and removes his helmet. Shaved head, targeting ocular in place of an eye. Typical Mercenary League, or ex-League. "I'll be glad to get out of this pit," he mutters. He jabs a finger at the most distant computer console. "Now go upload the virus. We've got five minutes. Then there'll be work for whichever one of you has the neural interface: the pilot, the drone controller, whatever you are." He looks at the party as if trying to determine who is who. "And if we're lucky we won't need your doctor at all."

The client made no mention of any of this.
May 7, 2017 9:00 pm
Dr. Zephyr dives for cover when the shooting starts. Once it ends and he straightens himself out to survey the damage, his ocular lenses visibly brighten and extend in what you can only assume is the cyborg equivalent of shock and surprise.

"Stellar dust! Was that entirely necessary? These were innocent technicians who never needed to know what was going on here!"
Last edited May 8, 2017 1:48 am
May 8, 2017 4:13 pm
Technically it's five; as the shooting begins, Kree grabs the closest falling body to use as a shield, until it becomes clear he's not an immediate threat. She frisks the body out of habit and dumps it to one side. Then she sees her mistake and grimaces. "Now I've got blood on my hands, and I didn't even spill it."

Inwardly, she's thinking up a whirlwind, amped by the cool glaze of neural augmentation: "This clown blew our cover. Killed civilians. He knows who we are. He knows our plan intimately. So there are other cells on site with more situational awareness of the Plan than us. Or they're not even on our side. Either way, he's gonna frag us the second we're not useful."

"If they got on our network they might've sniffed out our little package on the way down the pipe, Doc. Our friend here did us a favour. Your name was ...? And what's this work for a drone controller?" She says this as she dutifully follows his gesture to the console, hoping Nasaius is going too.
OOC:
FOC+Social test just to see if she's generally able to keep her calm facade together, not whether the above is an accurate assessment of the situation. You never know. He might be friendly.

Rolls

Focus/social test - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

May 9, 2017 7:26 pm
Kree isn't exactly poker-faced, but she doesn't give the impression of bone-rattling nervousness either. The Merc nods at her statement. "Your pilot has the right of it doctor: the techs were a liability. Good luck working under their noses.

He indicates the console again. "The virus will disable the security requirements but it also disables automated processes. We'll need someone to tap into the interface and direct the drones and cranes." He waves a hand at shadowy shapes folded away in corners and above rafters. "The radiation shielding won't remove itself.

"And me? You don't need to know me, and I don't need to know you. You're the doc, pilot, and tech. I'm just a man with a gun."

The transport slides away into the depths of the complex. It's making way for another arrival: the rumble of a distant elevator platform can be heard from far above.

"That'll be the rest of our team," says the man with the gun. "Like I said: we've got five minutes to clear the way for them."
May 10, 2017 1:46 pm
Kree blinks slowly. "You want to remove the radiation shielding from the main reactor?" She looks at Dr. Zephyr incredulously and back to the merc. "Are you insane?" She folds her arms. "I'm fine with collateral damage. Hell, I love it. But when did this smash and grab become a smash grab kill 'em all?"
OOC:
I think I'm gonna roll back using bold for dialogue from now on. I dunno, it just isn't for me.
Last edited May 10, 2017 1:47 pm
May 10, 2017 3:40 pm
Dr. Zephyr has been trying to remain silent during this exchange, he clearly feels out of his element and Kree seemed to be playing it cool enough for their whole team up to this point. When she catches his eye, Dr. Zephyr just slowly shakes his head from side to side. "In my medical opinion that is... inadvisable."
OOC:
Just to clarify, it sounds like removing the radiation shielding is going to put *us* directly in danger, correct? Or are we all wearing hazmat suits?"
May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
The man smiles, wrongly assuming he knows what the party's issue is. "Relax. Once we have terminal access, you can remotely control the drones and cranes from a safe distance. The shielding slabs are kind of like an airlock, see? You don't remove every panel at once, we're just going to make a little opening and then reseal it. And if we do get some rads, well, nothing we can't treat. You've got a doctor with you after all."

The way the (ex)Merc talks it's as if he expected to have to explain the plans all along. The client must have given him a far fuller picture of this operation.

He indicates the elevator shaft. The sound of a descending platform draws ever closer. "And the device? The device is on a cart, it'll wheel itself into position without us having to go into the reactor proper. We'll be long gone by the time it activates."

The workers' schedule called for the elevator to bring down the replacement shielding slabs one by one. Instead, by the sounds of it, it's bringing down the rest of the client's operational assets. From context the "device" sounds unpleasantly like a bomb.
OOC:
The party won't be in direct danger. Removing the shielding is what the maintenance workers were scheduled to do in the first place: this particular reactor is currently offline in preparation for it, the idea being that the drones and cranes could be supervised to do the job while minimising exposure to the human workers.
Although obviously the bomb is a new addition to the routine...
May 13, 2017 5:21 pm
Kree cocks her head at his reply, and works to contain her disbelief at how poorly the Merc misread the room. "Oh, that's good to know," she says. "The radiation exposure is only so we can put some kind of device in the ship's core. You had me worried for a second there."

She glances at Dr. Zephyr again, but it's clear he's having the same misgivings as she is. And that's enough to prompt some executive decision-making. "If you'd told me your name, that would've humanised you. Which might've prolonged this -"

She activates her implant and bursts into a spinning whip kick aimed to his head. She kicks him into the elevator shaft.

"-for several more seconds."
OOC:
She may be a murderer, but she's not a mass mur- okay, she's probably a mass murderer, but only technically. And she has her limits.
May 13, 2017 7:05 pm
Caught completely off-guard, the operative staggers backwards... into nothing. He plummets into the depths, his cry of shock drowned out by the rumbling of the approaching elevator.

They should really have a handrail there.

Rolls

Knocking Merc down shaft (TN11) - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

May 13, 2017 7:24 pm
She looks after him for a moment. "I think, either way, that might end up the most expensive mistake I'll ever make."

She hopes Nerves can activate the drones, or something, because there isn't a lot she can do about that approaching elevator in the meantime. She looks to Zephyr. "There's no way I'm adding gigadeath to my rap sheet just to further someone else's agenda. That's just bad business. Sorry I didn't warn you ... but I had a feeling you would've done something anyway."
May 14, 2017 12:09 pm
Zephyr turns to Kree after a moment when the shock of the situation has worn off and nods grimly. "Indeed. Absconding with a planet's worth of cargo is one thing, detonating a Worldcarrier core is quite another. Not to mention since it seems we were not made aware of this fact even *I* can deduce we are most likely seen as just as much of a liability as these poor souls here." He says, motioning to the dead technicians.

As they stand in silence for a moment, the sound of the elevator descending with more death, this time most likely aimed at themselves, Dr. Zephyr's ocular shutters widen as he gets an idea. "As for our approaching company, I may be able to assist with that." He rushes over to the elevator and starts frantically digging through his medical bag.
OOC:
Dr. Zephyr is going to try and fashion a small explosive device to blow the elevator cable, causing the lift car to activate its emergency brakes, effectively keeping the merc crew from finishing their descent (at least temporarily) and discovering we just killed one of their own. This isn't really a "combat" check, so not sure how to make this roll. Can I use my explosives specialty without the combat talent? Feel free to make the roll for me Edcrab.
May 14, 2017 4:03 pm
OOC:
Hmm, it may not be using the Combat/Bio talent but I'd agree "explosives" is thematically applicable. It's a very robust, industrial-standard elevator so I'll go with TN16 to disable it. I'm not sure the SHARD Resource's Quality bonus or Advantage would apply as it's outside his usual area of expertise, so that'd be 1d20+8.
Dr. Zephyr hurriedly whips up an improvised precision charge and detonates it. One of the arm-thick supporting cables snaps. But low-tech as it is, it's nevertheless a very robust platform: it's slowed for a moment, but still continues. Dr. Zephyr has bought the party an extra minute at most.

Rolls

Fashioning a small explosive device (TN16) - (1d20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

May 15, 2017 4:00 am
"I'm not dying dressed as a damn janitor." Kree rips her hair out of the bun, then strips the maintenance uniform off in one motion. Underneath it is her old flightsuit in its bright red and yellow colouring. She runs a hand through her hair - urgh. Needs work.

She sees Zephyr working on his improvised explosives. "Good thinking, Doc. Maybe ..." she tries her looted communicator to see if it has the privilege to order an emergency stop.

"How's it coming, Nerves?" she yells over her shoulder. "Can you get those drones working for us?"
OOC:
Are we in something of a dead end here? I thought originally one plan would be to fight our way out of the bottleneck with the system on our side. But without Ringo I'm not so sure.
May 16, 2017 7:18 am
Kree fiddles with the communicator, wishing the previous owner had had the chance to organise their home screen. While the technician lacks any significant system access, she does download their map: the lift is indeed the main entrance/exit to this deck but the area is a honeycomb of supply caches and maintenance hatchways. Should the party wish to hide, it wouldn't be difficult.
OOC:
Potentially the party could even try and escape via those maintenance tunnels although it wouldn't be an easy journey. And Nerves definitely has the capacity to command the area's drones and/or halt the elevator.
May 16, 2017 1:15 pm
Dr. Zephyr starts & stops several times, nervously trying to decide on a course of action. "Well, technically we *did* accomplish what was originally asked of us, no? The question now is are we honestly expecting to get paid by our mysterious employers?"
May 16, 2017 3:08 pm
Kree grimaces. "From now on, when we accept suicidally dangerous heist contracts, we get paid upfront. Sound good to you?"

She nudges the maintenance uniform into the elevator shaft. "Let's hide and watch what this incoming team does. There's a chance they might be able to activate their device anyway, and if they do, we might be the only ones able to stop it. After that, if we're alive, we can run like hell back to our life of petty crime."

She hides in a supply cache, trying to make it dramatic and daring, and not like hiding.
OOC:
Maybe Nerves can tell the drones to protect him/us in a fight?
May 16, 2017 7:17 pm
"My thoughts precisely on both counts, though I am thankful you voiced them first. I would prefer not to engage these professional combatants if we can avoid it, however I do not feel at all okay with leaving the doomed Sigma without attempting to disarm this explosive device they have in tow." Dr. Zephyr nods and looks to find a maintenance hatch to hide in down by Nerves in case he needs assistance.
OOC:
Seeing as how Dr. Zephyr has no applicable talents or aspects for hiding, I'd like to spend an EP to maximize my hide roll :)
May 18, 2017 11:53 am
OOC:
All right, Kree just manages to hide in time and Nerves, perhaps because he's so caught up in trying to control the spread of the virus, is basically just standing out in the open.

Seeing as Dr. Z is using an Edge point here to take 20, I'll say the party's got a choice: Z can practically be invisible, or we can say he assists Nerves somehow and they both manage to hide moderately well (TN11 Insight check to find them).

Rolls

Kree's Stealth roll - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Nerves' Stealth roll - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

May 21, 2017 4:35 pm
OOC:
Sorry about the delay, busy few days here. My vote is that Dr. Zephyr helps Nerves hide - we can't have Ringo's character dying on our watch!
May 25, 2017 8:28 pm
OOC:
Okay we'll go forward with that shortly unless MN has a better idea. Probably would've been safe to assume that's what you'd all want to do but I thought I'd better check!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.