Real life gaming community.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 19, 2017 1:17 am
Here is a recent article by the owner/manager of Battlefield Bangkok on the Pelgrane Press site that gives the history of the gaming community in Bangkok. I thought I would share it :) http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/battlefield-bangkok-from-dream-to-community/

I got back into gaming after a looooong break. Like many people here I heard a live play podcast (adventure zone) and got the itch to play again. I live in Bangkok (22 years now!!!) and was thinking there was no way people played this stuff here. But I started to look around for a place that might have DnD dice. Through Facebook I found my friendly local gaming store. I signed up for freerpg day, played Shadowrun and DnD and am now in a RL Shadowrun game and 3 RL DnD campaigns. All through my FLGS.

How about you all? What is your gaming community like?
May 19, 2017 2:55 am
Gaming community? In real life? What is that?
May 19, 2017 4:31 am
After moving to Calgary in 1999, I joined a gaming club at University. Jumped into a D&D 2e game, and became friends with the DM. Through him, I met my future wife and a whole bunch of gamers. I also met other people at the U who gamed and started/joined a troupe with them. Calgary hosts the arguably largest gaming store in the world (www.sentrybox.ca), at least as recently profiled on Geek & Sundry. It's success probably comes from the huge community here.

There were times when our troupes feel apart. I used social media to find other gamers to fill us out, and our current group has been together for about 10 years now.

Or you can wear a D&D shirt in public and make eye contact. That usually works, heh.
May 19, 2017 8:37 am
Qralloq says:
Calgary hosts the arguably largest gaming store in the world (www.sentrybox.ca), at least as recently profiled on Geek & Sundry. It's success probably comes from the huge community here.
I read that article recently. The store looks amazing!
May 19, 2017 4:19 pm
I have a friend in Calgary who goes on and on about the Sentry Box. Nothing even close to that here...

I'm lucky enough to have a small group that has been playing the FF SWRPG for the past nine months or so. We've been meeting every two weeks and having a good time with the campaign that I've put together. My first IRL RPG group since I stopped playing back in the 80s.

I'm also meeting up with some people from work that I've never played with before, going to give 'Shadows of Esteren' a go. If that all works out well I might be looking at being part of two real-life RPG groups. I'm not sure what I'd do with myself! :-)
May 19, 2017 10:02 pm
A friend got my husband and I back into D&D after several decades hiatus; she wanted to try it out. Since then, she's dropped out but the rest of the groups still meets. I'm currently trying out GMing SW FFG with them; ironically I GMed that here before doing it in RL.

I'm also in another group where there are three of us; each of us GM's a different game and we rotate from week to week. I'm lucky to be friends with a lot of geeky people. :)

For those who are looking for games, Halifax has a pretty thriving gaming community based out of the local game stores, all of which are awesome, friendly folks. I'm always surprised at the number of people that I meet randomly that play/have played RPGs.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.