Kingmaker 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 21, 2017 1:32 pm
Has anyone every tried adapting the Kingmaker AP to 5e? Kingmaker was my favourite campaigns, I even ran it pbp for almost a year once, but my pathfinder days are behind me. The video game version is still in the distant future. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feelings to share about the idea of running Kingmaker in 5e.
Jun 21, 2017 1:40 pm
Just my 2 cents but I'd imagine that a huge sandbox game like kingmaker would be very slow if played PBP. It takes a long time for groups to make decisions when you're posting once per day. Actually, I'm rather curious. How far did you get through when you ran it for a year?
Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm
They completed the first book, and were working through the second. So they had their settlement up and running and working on expanding.

The trick was I started with a massive cattle call of 30 players, then split them into three parties, and each party explored the wilderness separately but would come together at their settlement and post 'out of time' there. It lasted so long because the huge group of players was able to survive the attrition that inevitably occurs to PBP campaigns.
Jun 21, 2017 2:03 pm
I'd be interested in joining should it get up and running, sounds like a great campaign to be a part of.
Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm
Wow 30 players! That sounds like a pretty epic campaign. I'm sure that you'd get quite a bit of support for a game like that should you wish to try it. Honestly, I've never had any trouble converting Pathfinder to 5E but I've never been one to faithfully follow modules anyway. I often take pieces of some modules and slap them together with others to form a more interesting narrative. I think that you could adapt Kingmaker to 5E. How much work it would take depends entirely on you. You could easily just reskin a few of the more unique monsters to fit the CR of 5E or you could pour through the adventure path and try to convert them via the rules for creating monsters on page 274 of the DMG. That would be much more time consuming of course but the great strength of PBP is that you have plenty of time to prepare while playing!
Last edited June 21, 2017 2:27 pm
Jun 21, 2017 2:46 pm
I'm still new to this site, but once I've seen the ropes I'd gladly give it a try.
Jul 1, 2017 5:31 pm
I'd be interested!
Jul 2, 2017 7:14 pm
Let's do it, tell your friends: http://gamersplane.com/games/713/

You do not have permission to post in this thread.