Chapter 1: Welcome to Paxectel Island

May 18, 2015 4:07 pm
You wake in the morning, revitalized and refreshed. The inn keeper prepares you a warm breakfast with a side of their house-brewed cider (a very popular and refreshing drink amongst the locals). You discuss the events of the night before and eventually resolve to head out and start your investigation. There is disagreement amongst you over which avenue of research will be the most productive, but you all agree that leaving the inn is a first and necessary step.

As you step through the door a wave of electricity breaks upon you. A strange shimmering fills your vision, as though looking at the world through the heat of a flame. Stepping forward, the road, grass and even the inn begin to fade. Your vision blurs around the edges and everything around becomes less real. You hear the crashing sound of the surf, and smell the sharp tang of the sea. You feel the warmth of the sun, and through the mists you see a bright orb overhead.

As your vision clears, you find the inn and countryside are no longer present. What stretches before you is a strange island with ruined structures dotting the landscape. The sun shines upon you from a cloudless sky, and from its position you would guess it to be midday.

Looking around, you first notice that you've stepped forth from a strange portal of swirling and conflicting colours, onto a large stone dias raised a few feet above the ground. The portal is on the edge of a small island that is several hundred feet across and nearly a thousand feet from the northern shore to southern coastline. Surrounded by water on all sides, the sea continues from the island for perhaps a mile in all directions, where it ends in violent storms that threaten to tear even the sturdiest of ships asunder. Ruins dot the landscape, an obvious sign that the place has seen better times.

Everyone is standing beside you on the dias... except Tiana.

((OOC: Island Map, you are at "A"))
May 18, 2015 4:29 pm
"Damn...I knew I should have summoned Z first thing this morning! I really should follow my intuition more often." she reaches into the folds of her robe and produces a scroll case. With a flourish she unfurls a lamb skin parchment with many arcane symbols drawn upon it in gold and silver inks. She places her elaborate ring in the center of the largest sigil and intones a spell. The ring begins to hover about a foot above the ground and spins slowly. "Please friends, a moment more is all I need." The ring begins spewing lavender and white smoke as it spins and the form of Ziesra begins to take shape.

((Ooc...this ritual takes a full minute. Singer places Ziesra in the ring to keep from disturbing the non-adventurers because she is Large and monstrous. I will post a link to her image soon.))
May 18, 2015 4:35 pm
Vorfix looks around, lost in wonder. He pulls out his small notepad and starts jotting notes as he runs around to various things in the near vicinity. "Oh, this is quite interesting. I wonder if..." he sputters as he dashes off to the next object. He finally catches up with his surroundings as he gives one last broad look around himself. "Where... are we?"
May 18, 2015 8:51 pm
"Did that portal just appear? Or was the inn an illusion and we've been here all along?"
May 18, 2015 8:55 pm
Almost immediately after asking aloud, the answer to her question leaps to the front of Aenwyn's mind. There was no portal there originally and the inn definitely wasn't an illusion. Something dragged them all here. The magic energies flowing around the portal behind them suggest to her that they had just been forced through it. But what forced had given them the metaphysical push necessary she didn't know.
May 19, 2015 12:33 am
What in the world...?! Elandra thinks, as she looks around herself and at her companions, eyes wide with shock. "That's it. I'm laying off the wine," she says blearily. "I'm assuming everyone else is just as lost as to where we are?"
May 19, 2015 4:53 am
"Lost, and we're missing Tiana too. Something pulled us here, and I'd guess intelligent."
May 19, 2015 5:43 pm
As soon as Dimal regains his footing he reaches over to calm crusher who seems more put upon than upset with his new surroundings. Dimal thinks to himself Now I'm not so angry that Crusher was taunting that pompous race horse in the stables. I wouldn't have brought him inside for breakfast otherwise.

"Well, wasn't that a jolly romp. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered that bottle last night." Dimal rubs his temples and looks around at their new surroundings trying to identify anything that might spark some recognition as to their new whereabouts.

((Roll for knowledge: local check to try and see if I recognize anything))

Rolls

Knowledge: Local - (1d20+12)

(17) + 12 = 29

May 19, 2015 6:07 pm
Dimal recognizes nothing. This is not a place he has been before, nor has he seen it in paintings or images. The brings to his mind the immediate hypothesis that they were now on another plane. After all, that sensation of being dragged through the portal was not unlike a rather ungentle dimensional door.
May 19, 2015 6:30 pm
Elandra loosens the strap on her shield, shouldering her pack in such a way that she can drop the heavy backpack and draw her shield with one or two smooth movements, her hands moving with deft familiarity. Her left hand rests on the handle of her hammer as she continues to look around, surveying the area around the group.

"Once everyone is done with preparations, we should start moving. If something intelligent pulled us here then it likely knows how to find this place. If it's intentions weren't benign in bringing us here I don't want it finding us."
Last edited May 19, 2015 6:30 pm
May 19, 2015 8:12 pm
Aenwyn also thinks of a planar shift, so she tests that.

Rolls

Knowledge: Planes - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

May 20, 2015 9:18 pm
"Nothing here looks familiar on even the most basic level. I think we might be on another plane..." Dimal checks the straps on Crushers saddle and mounts as the rest of the group gets ready to depart their landing area.

"Which path should we take, west or south?"

Rolls

Knowledge: Planes, to see if I recognize this one - (1d20+11)

(19) + 11 = 30

May 20, 2015 11:47 pm
This is not a plane you could hope to recognize, a fact you quickly come to appreciate. It's not so much a plane as it is a pocket dimension. It is probably not much bigger than the island itself.
May 22, 2015 3:07 am
With a flash of light the Large Ziesra appears twirling and coiling in the air. "Where'd you drag us now Singer? This place smells funny. Is there anything to eat?" The half-elf woman gathers her summoning tools and places her ring back on her finger. "I didn't do anything. I hate that you always imply that I've gotten us into danger. Its rarely my...well...it's not my fault this time."

Addressing Dimal and his question, she says, "To the ruins, I should think. There we are most likely to find a clue as to where we are and why WD are here.
Last edited May 22, 2015 3:08 am
May 25, 2015 2:40 pm
At Singer's suggestion, once you are each prepared, you head towards the ruins at the center of the island. The ruins are of what was once surely a great cathedral (D), now only two walls stand along with a portion of the third. The floor is covered in the shattered remains of what were probably beautiful and vibrant murals. There are also strange skeletons scattered about, as if a great battle had occurred here. You can see that in front of the ruined cathedral is a very large shrine (C), reaching almost 20 feet into the air. It is carved as a representation of the Lady Trinity and her three aspects: Charity, Faith and Hope.
May 27, 2015 3:37 pm
Elandra walks a few paces ahead of the group, her eyes darting warily around the area, looking for signs of trouble. Her shield is strapped securely to her right arm, and her warhammer is gripped firmly in her left. As she enters the ruins, she stops at the first group of skeletons and stoops down to examine them, looking for signs of age, what might have killed them, and whether or not they're human.

Rolls

Perception to examine the skeletons - (1d20+25)

(14) + 25 = 39

May 27, 2015 4:22 pm
"Such a strange battlefield. Usually corpses aren't left to rot and decay to this level after a battle of this size. I wonder if both armies perished in the battle or there were so few survivors that they couldn't properly care for their fallen comrades. It's situations like these that make for great ballads... Mainly because I can fill in all the details myself." Dimal smirks as he finishes. But his light-hearted banter is somewhat betrayed by his readying of his slingstaff and loosening of the two daggers at his waist. The bullet that he loads into the sling seems to glow with some inner fire.

After Dimal finishes readying his weapons he starts to hum a merry tune that is meant to inspire and fortify his companions.

((Dimal starts a bardic Performance: inspire greatness, 3 allies within 30ft Gain 2d10 HP, +2 attack, +1 Fortitiude saves))
Last edited May 27, 2015 4:23 pm
May 27, 2015 7:08 pm
While examining the skeletons Elandra notices something out of the corner of her eye. Just by the edge of the cathedral ruins, the crumbled wall appears to conceal something. A closer look reveals a secret door built into the cobblestones beside a collapsed portion of the wall. The skeletons, however, are uninformative.

((There's more, except I can't find the tables I need to roll on to tell you what more you found... grrr))
May 28, 2015 6:07 pm
((I guess we can always handle that part when you've got the tables handy.))

Elandra raises her warhammer and points it at the secret door. She speaks softly, without looking over her shoulder,"I've found something. Concealed passage, maybe." She walks warily toward the door, beckoning the others to assemble behind her, and then opens the door, her hammer and shield at the ready.
May 31, 2015 2:11 pm
"Yes open let us see what was concealed by man, but revealed so kindly by time. But I think there may be more to find up here. Let us evaluate this door; but if it leads deep within the structure, as these things usually do, I feel we should finish observing what the surface has to offer."

With that Z comes to hover near Elandra, ready to rush forward should danger present itself. Singer comes near but stays a few paces back, as her skills warrant.
Last edited May 31, 2015 2:13 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.