Gaming virtual archive of sorts

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 25, 2017 2:39 pm
Hello all,

I've been toying with an idea to create a site that operates kind of like a digital museum/archive/library, and I'm curious if there is any interest in that sort of thing. Out in the fleshy world of bills and real life, I just finished I-School and became an accrdited librarian. While I look for a job, I've been looking for a way to make use of (and develop) my training and marry it to TTRPGs. Would anyone actually want to see something like this exist? I may do it anyway, but I may do it faster if I know there's support.
Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm
I think it's an awesome idea! :-) Would it involve digital library cards? Please say yes! :-D
Jun 25, 2017 5:02 pm
Hey Phil. Two questions arise when I think of digital archives and TTRPGs: how would this differ from wikis like wikia.com, and how would you handle copyrighted material?
Jun 25, 2017 5:14 pm
I wish I could have library cards, but most of the books I had in mind are public domain so people can simply own them. If I can figure out a fun way to create a library card, I'll do it.

As for the Qralloq's qeustions: I see Wikia.com as different because the sites operate like directories/encyclopedias, and are very specific in their content. A Pathfinder wiki is more or less exclusively a Pathfinder wiki. I'm thinking more broadly. As for copyright, as long as I don't give anything away I should be fine. A healthy mix of Public Domain content, and exploiting the "Fair Use" clause in copyright law should have me protected. This isn't (at least for now) an endeavor to generate money, and is just something I'd be doing in my spare time.
Jun 25, 2017 5:52 pm
So basically, how would this work? If you want to avoid copyrights issues, I'm assuming there would be no downloads involved. So what, we'd come in "rent" a book, and be able to consult it online for like a week or so?
Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm
I toyed with this idea as an extention on Gamers Plane, but finding time was always tough!
Jun 25, 2017 8:23 pm
At this point I have no desire to create a circulating library. I have neither the technical skills, nor the legal expertise to negotiate the necessary DRM (Digital Rights Management) agreements with publishers. Nor do I have the money. eBooks are super expensive for libraries to buy and have extremely complicated obligations the purchasing organization has to follow. Also, there's an extra quirk because of the part of Canada I currently live in that further complicates things, at least as far as obtaining materials. Downloads are possible, if material is freely available already, public domain or Creative Commons licensing, or something to that effect.

Time is going to be an issue for me, Keleth, but since this is really just a modest idea, for now at least I'm not too worried. I may get in touch with about how you've had to deal with some stuff on GP.

Additionally, I have to say I'm intrigued by the fact that people jumped on the idea that this might be a way to borrow books. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration, but it looks like there's some interest, and at the very least some curiosity.
Jun 25, 2017 9:09 pm
Well, whatever the case, if your project ever progress, be sure to check out my resource thread as I've already gathered a bunch of free RPGs there (among other things).

You do not have permission to post in this thread.