Drow of the Underdark Forest

Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm
Denizens of the Everblack; the Zolucatli (1). Worshippers of Luat, a trickster aspect of the Seven Sisters Three (2) who long ago saved their people from Rilu'huacan, god of light and death (2).
Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm
There are warring, decentralized clans of elves. There is a larger coalition with a central city but years of using lesser tribes as sacrifices to Luat and many believe it is this blood that washes away the sins of Rilu'huacan.
Jul 6, 2017 3:17 am
Niuxoneca, High Priestess of Luat
Neutral Evil Divination Cleric
Serves as head of the largest drow clan and leader of the coalition
Actively interested in research and methods for speeding the growth of the Underdark's trees
Jul 9, 2017 6:15 pm
The Zolucatli have an uneasy peace with the Sitoq, as past wars have shown them to be a mysteriously indomitable enemy. This doesn't stop them from capturing and sacrificing the odd dwarf who wanders astray though.
Jul 9, 2017 7:44 pm
Alright; I wrote this the other day, and it's bothering me because it doesn't sound sufficiently Azteca and I don't know how to do that. Posting it anyway to elicit feedback.
[ +- ] the assumption of Luat; spoilered for length
Jul 9, 2017 8:44 pm
I love this! I think it has a really good feel to it. I like the repetition in particular.

When you mentioned that Niuxoneca is looking for ways to speed the growth of the trees, blood sacrifice was the first place that my mind went, but I wasn't sure quite how to fit it. But now I think:

The temples of Luat each have a central stone dais, around which grows a mighty tree. The temples are the trees themselves, and furrows from the sacrificial altar channel the blood to nourish the temple tree.

(Unless that's too much trees. We do already have Sitoq who weave the trees into their fortifications and a killing tree that drinks blood)
Aug 8, 2017 4:12 pm
I worry that the repetition is too reminiscent of Indo-European mythology traditions. So I tried to do some research. It's actually very difficult to find primary sources for Aztec mythology. This is because the traditions seem to follow a pictorial alphabet. The locals would tell stories about the statues and it took a long time to eventually translate the pictograms. There was no Rosetta Stone for them and if I remember correctly the language was eventually solved by the daughter of an archaeologist but that may be apocryphal and I can't find it. I found this though that helps show some of the pictograms that exist and how they work. I'd be hesitant to take Aztec culture and put it into the Indo-European style. I'd think that if we were going to appropriate, we'd push to be as authentic as possible. Thoughts?

This document also discusses some Aztec rituals.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.