Genesys from FFG

Jun 27, 2017 7:20 pm
So it appears FFG are doing a generic sourcebook for their narrative RPG system (used in their Star Wars line of RPG's). As we have a pretty large number of fans of the Star Wars games on here I thought I'd share and see what your thoughts are about it? I'm pretty excited about it as I love the system so having a toolkit to apply it to other settings would be amazing (plus I already have large amounts of the dice lol).

Official announcement is here
Jun 27, 2017 9:11 pm
I saw this too... definitely excited, in theory.

Though knowing FFGs business/publication model, I would kind of expect them to do something similar to the "End of the World" series they did (or the 3 core Star Wars rulebooks): a bunch of different books with the same mechanics, just different setting/fluff. Which I can't say that I'm too excited about, cuz FFG just does this money grab crap all the time. Not to mention new dice.

That gripe aside, definitely think this could be great.
Jun 27, 2017 9:28 pm
It looks like this book is going to be pretty generic (bit hard to tell for definite from the one press release though)....seems like they're following a similar model to GURPS or New World of Darkness in having a core rulebook and then maybe a bunch of setting books hanging off of it. Mostly supposition on my part at the moment, I am looking forwards to getting more info though
Jun 27, 2017 9:45 pm
I'm a bit curious as to how easy/fast it is to learn and memorize those weird dice symbols.
Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm
kalajel says:
I'm a bit curious as to how easy/fast it is to learn and memorize those weird dice symbols.
I'd say there's a ~3 session learning curve depending on how much of a crap the player gives.
Jun 27, 2017 10:18 pm
Hmm. Sounds reasonable. I must admit, I'm one of those guys who used to play AD&D and NEVER got the whole THAC0 thing...
Jun 27, 2017 10:21 pm
I'm looking forward to checking this out. Curious how similar things like character creation and specializations are.
kalajel says:
It helps that yellow, green, and light blue contain just 'good' symbols - red, purple, and black contain 'bad'.
Jun 27, 2017 10:45 pm
I'm excited for this! I love the system, but I prefer fantasy games as opposed to sci-fi. Character creation, IMO, is the most complicated part, and it's actually pretty simple once you actually do it once.
Jun 27, 2017 11:04 pm
The system is what pulled me into the Star Wars stuff. The guys I play with have convinced me to watch all of the movies and the animated series for 'motivation' when GMing. :-)

A third party Fantasy take on the system...
Last edited June 27, 2017 11:10 pm
Jun 28, 2017 1:46 am
There's a campaign going on here at GP using this hack, following the "Rise of the Runelords" adventure path. Or at least there was, I left it a bit ago... it departed quite a bit from the Star Wars game.
Last edited June 28, 2017 1:46 am
Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm
emsquared says:
There's a campaign going on here at GP using this hack, following the "Rise of the Runelords" adventure path. Or at least there was, I left it a bit ago... it departed quite a bit from the Star Wars game.
Still going on :)

This will be very interesting. I love the system and hopefully it could be easy to hack. There's quite a few settings I'd love to try with the narrative dice system.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.