User Experience Requests

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 13, 2017 2:08 pm
I brought this up before—a while ago—but, the frustration continues, so I'll bring it up again.

The persistent toolbar used to access every game's Tools/Forum/Details page should be located at the top of the browser where the last action (choosing a game) leaves me, not at the bottom of the browser window. To get to my game's forum, I have to click on my desired game (at the top of the page), then go to the bottom of the next loaded page and click on Forum to get where I want to be.

This brings up my second request:

When I click on my Games tab at the top of the screen, I expect to go directly to that game's Forum but I always end up on Game Details. Aside from the first time I access a game, the Game Details page is completely invaluable, and just adds another step of interaction to get to where the actual action is.

tl;dr
1. Persistent menu/toolbar thing should pin to the top of the browser page, not the bottom.
2. Clicking on one of my games should direct me to that game's Forum page, not the Details page.
Last edited July 13, 2017 2:08 pm
Jul 13, 2017 2:13 pm
Sorry, a bit confused. Are you saying the game menu bar is at the bottom of a page? Or pins to the bottom of your window? You shouldn't need to scroll at all. The menu is at the bottom largely due to features that were included in the past, removed due to bugs, and will probably be making a comeback, along with other new features, like persistent notes, HP/MP/Spell Lists/Abilities, etc. It felt more natural to have those items included in a different menu, but I'll consider the value of a submenu of links at the top and those game items at the bottom.

As for going straight to the game forum, that's a good point. If you brought this up before, I'm sorry I missed it, or if I did respond, I'm sorry I forgot. I'll look into changing it in the current iteration, and if I can't, I'll make sure the update I'm currently working on has this changed functionality.
Jul 13, 2017 2:26 pm
1. Personally, I prefer the red menu on the bottom. Couldn't tell you why, it just seems to fit. Perhaps a setting to change it?

-- 1a. The only (minor) gripe I have is that I think the buttons should be available all the time (Example: When I'm in a forum post, the forum link is not available and I have to go back to the top of the page to get back to the forum. I'd prefer to have the Forum button there even when I'm on the forum to get back to the main forum page more easily)

2. I go to games to access the game, and go to the forums to access the forum. Seems legit to me ;)
Jul 13, 2017 9:02 pm
Keleth says:
Are you saying the game menu bar is at the bottom of a page? Or pins to the bottom of your window?
Scroll was a poor choice of words on my part.
The red bar at the bottom of the screen (persistent—don't need to scroll down to it, just mouse down to it).

I have to select Games at the top of the page.
Game Details page loads.
I have to mouse to bottom of page to click on Forums to get to the place where I interact with my game.
Then I have to go back up and select a forum.
Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm
I agree with @Naatkinson's observations which are also pertinent to my request. Thanks guys!
Jul 13, 2017 9:07 pm
There's definitely a UX issue there; I can see some solutions, but none that'll be globally useful in the current framework. I'll look into what I can do to make it easier in the short term, and consider them into the rework.
Jul 14, 2017 3:15 am
One more thing to add to the UI requests (and I'm sure it's been mentioned before) is to add the Thread Page links to the top of the page. When trying to go back through a thread's history to look for info, it's a lot of scrolling to click, scroll to the bottom, click, scroll to the bottom, click, etc. As I can usually remember whether the info I'm looking for is before or after the first post on each page, having the page controls at the top would be quite useful.

Also, another thing that would be awesome IMO would be to have the Advanced Reply be loaded at the bottom of the page instead of the Quick Reply. Being able to view the preview or add some dice rolls while still being able to scroll up and view what you're replying to would be fantastic! Or at the very least have the Advanced button open in a new tab/window.
Jul 19, 2017 2:33 am
Since we're griping...
I was wondering how hard a mention system, like Twitter, Instagram and other such things have, would be to add? As I've mentioned before in these threads I have absolutely no experience with programming so if that's really advanced I totally understand (even if it isn't I understand), but I was thinking that it'd be a nice thing to have that I could say, in any thread "hey @Keleth we've got an issue here could we get some help?" and you'd get a notification similar to the post email notifications "CouchLord0510 mentioned you in a post in the User Experience Improvement thread. Click here to check it out!" Of course it would have more uses than just summoning our GP guardian angel, but I think that'd be a nice touch. That way you wouldn't have to subscribe to threads you weren't completely interested in, you could just wait until someone mentioned you/your contribution to check in. That way, your inbox doesn't get blown up with notifications you don't particularly care about.
Last edited July 19, 2017 2:39 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.