Greetings and Character Setups.

load previous
May 23, 2015 9:16 pm
Here's a quick and dirty background:

Nyom Járóka is an Intelligent Glaive who Masters Weaponry.

Nyom is from the town of Druissi which is located on the norther edge of the Ba-Adenu Forest. Starting as teenager she would accompany her family as they made the trek to The Lambent Fields to collect the multi-colored dust which they would then sell in order to support themselves. It was during these trips that Nyom learned the way of the spear, both through the all too occasional need and her mother's training.

One year, while the family was collecting dust, they came across a small cache of cyphers. Having no particular use for what they had found, they decided they would try their luck selling these devices during their upcoming trip to White Lake. The amount of shins earned during that trip convinced Nyom that numenera hunting would be much more profitable for both her and her family than collecting dust.

Teaming with others she had met during her travels through The Beyond over the last 20 years she now makes a fairly decent living finding, identifying, and selling the scattered bits of ancient technology that litter the land.
Here are some connections that I thought might work. Feel free to suggest any changes if they work better with your character.

Nyom spends a significant portion of her free time training with her spear. While not necessarily looking for someone to teach, she would like someone to train with. (Any takers?)

During a trip along the Salter River the raft that Nyom was riding on was overturned. As she struggled to climb the muddy bank to safety Ronna was there to lend a hand. Nyom feels eternally indebted to Ronna and will risk her personal safety to protect her during combat.
Last edited May 23, 2015 9:34 pm
May 23, 2015 9:17 pm
Gargoyle says:
Ronna is a Stealthy Nano who Works Miracles.

There are two obvious ways to connect with Ronna. She could either be a natural support partner for any combat-oriented character.
Ooooh, perhaps she could be the one that helped Nyom out of the river?
Last edited May 23, 2015 9:17 pm
May 23, 2015 9:23 pm
szemely says:
Gargoyle says:
Ronna is a Stealthy Nano who Works Miracles.

There are two obvious ways to connect with Ronna. She could either be a natural support partner for any combat-oriented character.
Ooooh, perhaps she could be the one that helped Nyom out of the river?
Sounds good. Even though she's not strong enough physically to literally pull anyone out of the river, Ronna could've used her Far Step ability to jump to the overturned raft and helped Nyom to the shore.

It would make good sense for Nyom and Ronna to be connected.
May 23, 2015 9:26 pm
Gargoyle says:
It would make good sense for Nyom and Ronna to be connected.
Awesome! I've updated my post to reflect that.
May 23, 2015 10:03 pm
Added Mandoric cypher / oddity details with levels and put them in CS.

Others will be done tomorrow morning, its too late here. :)
May 23, 2015 11:46 pm
Nyom numeneras been updated .
Jax numeneras updated.
Rona numeneras updated.
May 24, 2015 2:59 am
Mandoric is a merchant explorer from Lhauric. He originally wanted to see if he could get into the trade of goods coming out of the Lambent Fields, but when he realized the political problems around that were too great, he continued travelling away from Lhauric, hoping to find some other lucrative market to tap into and make him rich in his hometown, to the honour of the million gods. In fact the million gods trained him in the Numenera (cf Nano Connection 3), and his body bears the scars, though he can and does cover this with flowing merchant robes. Psionics Nano background: Mandoric's abilities come from the many nano devices he has collected through his merchant activity.

Connections to party members:

How about Mandoric hired the two glaives (Jax and Nyom) as bodyguards? The contract was: so many shins (already happened - maybe part of your starting shins), plus a fair share of whatever we find. Apart from the money I maybe convinced you this was a good idea not only with my charming words, but also with assurances that my beast companion (a seskii) and my knowledge and use of the Numenera would make you more effective treasure hunters.

Someone needs the dubious pleasure of being the person around whom my beast companion might slip from my control. I suppose a logical character would be Ronna, as her kind nature probably pulls her towards the beast, and that would explain why I feel my authority with the creature is threatened.

What do people think?
Last edited May 24, 2015 4:15 am
May 24, 2015 7:00 am
Lucas was born to the noble family of the Cloudscrapers, a wealthy family making their money harvesting water from the clouds. The salt of the earth had no respect for the Cloudscrapers due to them controlling a vital commodity and insisting on hording the majority of the water, saving for the, in this case very, proverbial rainy day. Lucas changed all that when he found an ancient artefact that bonded with him, secreting itself deep into his chest and reverberating all the way into his skull. He found that he had a silver tounge and was protected from attacks of all sorts. He immediately went to work to repair the wound between the people of his village and his family. Soon, his village prospered and his family too. Yet Lucas felt a strange calling to the world beyond. The artefact had changed him and called him to find more of this forgotten lore.

Lucas is also skilled in Psychometry - The ability to make relevant associations from an object of unknown history by making physical contact with that object.
May 24, 2015 7:01 am
So this is my first PbP so if you all could prod me ever so often if I'm doing things wrong, I'd appreciate it. I'll post some bonds tomorrow when I wake up.
May 24, 2015 7:02 am
Also, Lucas is a Tough Jack who Leads. I have skill in all social interactions and am skilled in all three defenses.
May 24, 2015 8:13 am
harlandski says:

Someone needs the dubious pleasure of being the person around whom my beast companion might slip from my control. I suppose a logical character would be Ronna, as her kind nature probably pulls her towards the beast, and that would explain why I feel my authority with the creature is threatened.
That sounds very reasonable. Ronna is probably not even aware of the fact that she is causing this for you - she is just seeing a fun creature that she enjoys petting and playing with.
May 24, 2015 9:06 am
Now only Jax need to setup connection and post his background here - and we are ready to start
I will do create threads for the game during a day

@Lucas - it will help the immersion if you assign portrait avatar to your character in his character sheet :)
May 24, 2015 4:55 pm
So the Leads connection is that one PC was once a follower of mine that I have grown to think of as a peer. Any takers?
May 24, 2015 6:13 pm
I started the game .

@Jax please setup connections and post your desciption here.

Conversations - sometimes people could be skipped if they do not post for long time - that will be percieved as their characters just keep being silent in discussions / conversations. Post frequency is 5/week at least, if there is only talk/ diplomatic or conversation stuff going and player do not post in that timeframe we will consider that he just been silent in that particular talk.

Combats and other action based parts will require turn from each member, so full team reaction will be required to process the turn.
May 24, 2015 9:28 pm
Jax's history has been a rugged one to say the least. He once served as a promising individual among the ranks in Iscobal. He was one of the few that sought to better the nation of Iscobal as a whole. Enraged by Jax's value system and by how fast he was rising within the ranks, a fellow "friend" of his set him up for the murder of a superior officer. Jax, disgraced by such accusations escaped out of Iscobal before he could be captured. He later learned of his past friends treachery and has vowed to this day that he will get his justice one day. Jax now wanders the ninth world as a soldier for hire.

For connections I like the idea of meeting Nyom during his travels and offering to train with her. He meets Ronna through Nyom and though her methods of illusions and lies seem to remind him of his past betrayer he feels as though she shares a good moral code
May 24, 2015 9:32 pm
Schauer says:
For connections I like the idea of meeting Nyom during his travels and offering to train with her.
Done!
May 24, 2015 9:40 pm
Schauer please post in-character (with character avatar) in Game's thread in order to keep game's immersion :) Huge thanks friend :)

You need to setup avatar for the character, and when you post in-character be sure you posting like this character and not as "Player"
Oct 24, 2015 8:29 am
Hi, everyone! I'm excited to join the group as a replacement player! The GM is still setting me up but I've been reading the game thread and can't wait to jump in! :-) I'll introduce my character on this intro thread when Blackstork says it's ok.

This will be my first time playing Numenera so I apologize in advance for any mistakes I might make and the many questions I will be surely asking!

Thanks! :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.