D&D Beyond Update

Jul 18, 2017 11:44 pm
They've released the pricing scheme for D&D Beyond now, as well as did an interview where they reveal new features that they have in the works. What do you all think?
Jul 18, 2017 11:59 pm
Give me books, pencils, dice, and paper any day.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :-)

Seriously though, it looks like it would be kind of a neat tool. Pricing for the books seems a bit steep though, especially if you've already bought a hard copy.
Jul 19, 2017 12:06 am
szemely says:
Give me books, pencils, dice, and paper any day.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :-)

Seriously though, it looks like it would be kind of a neat tool. Pricing for the books seems a bit steep though, especially if you've already bought a hard copy.
The good news is that if someone pays for the DM license, then all of the players get the same books that the DM has for free. Other than that, I agree 100%
Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am
I don't even see the pricing as being particularly steep, a digital white wolf game or a seventh sea supplement fetches that kind of price on drivethrurpg. My main group is in a different state to me so we normally have to buy books twice (a PC copy and a DM copy) this might actually make it cheaper to pick up new material. Hopefully the home brewing stuff is easy to work with as well...
Jul 19, 2017 12:17 am
Genisisect says:
I don't even see the pricing as being particularly steep, a digital white wolf game or a seventh sea supplement fetches that kind of price on drivethrurpg. My main group is in a different state to me so we normally have to buy books twice (a PC copy and a DM copy) this might actually make it cheaper to pick up new material. Hopefully the home brewing stuff is easy to work with as well...
I wouldn't consider it too steep, but I make $12 per hour and am working with a family of five :P
Jul 19, 2017 8:48 am
The pricing is a bit ridiculous when you consider that you'll also need a sub to access the platform (from what I've seen the digital copies of the books you buy will only be accessible through the platform), I wouldn't have an issue with it if it was one or the other (ongoing sub to access everything or a one off fee to access certain things on demand) but it really seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it and as someone who has already bought almost all of the D&D 5e books already I really can't see the draw of this for me (also, a book doesn't need an active internet connection which can be an issue for some place that I game).
Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm
mcneils5 says:
The pricing is a bit ridiculous when you consider that you'll also need a sub to access the platform (from what I've seen the digital copies of the books you buy will only be accessible through the platform), I wouldn't have an issue with it if it was one or the other (ongoing sub to access everything or a one off fee to access certain things on demand) but it really seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it and as someone who has already bought almost all of the D&D 5e books already I really can't see the draw of this for me (also, a book doesn't need an active internet connection which can be an issue for some place that I game).
The sub fee isn't required to access the platform as far as I know, it just gets you extra perks, such as unlimited characters and such. It is also available offline as an app on your mobile device once it goes live.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.