Pre-Game

load previous
Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm
Approved.
Jun 29, 2015 5:46 pm
I think I might have found a great (if not the perfect) theme for Uhlskah - it's in Dragon #413 and it's called Secret Apostate. The idea is that it's for apostates from Lolth living in the Underdark, but it also works for Uhlskah in his immigrant / double life situation. The initial power is some sort of free opportunity for a saving throw which is still a bit obscure to me, but over time some bluff/stealth benefits become available which fit my character concept nicely. My only complaint is that maybe it fits my backstory and skills too well - it emphasizes what I've already established rather than giving another facet. @Shadowfire what do you think?

Here's the theme in full:http://stealthygeek.com/dnd/compendium/www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/theme.aspx@id=1005.html
Last edited June 29, 2015 5:57 pm
Jun 30, 2015 1:39 am
Have you really renounced Lolth? Or just didn't become very interested. I don't think you can list her as your god if you take that theme.
Jun 30, 2015 4:05 am
Good point ShadowFire. I think "renounced" is putting too fine a point on it. I think I am probably nominally "Lolthian", and drag myself to big celebrations which I have to attend. On the other hand I delight in using Lolth imagery to horrify my fans - like heavy metal bands of the 80s who probably weren't committed Satanists, despite their image.

I was uncertain about putting "Lolth" as my god for that reason - but I'm probably more agnostic / uncommitted / ironic towards my religion rather than in overt apostasy, and if push comes to shove my identity is still tied up with the Spider Queen.

Also I've thought the rationale of the Secret Apostate theme is that all the other Drow are out to unmask you, but that doesn't really make sense in Dragon Pool where there are so few Drow, and they themselves are very low key about their religion.

So... I'm now thinking about the Animal Master theme from Dragon #399 instead. If possible I would like a spider, a tarantula or slightly bigger spider. Fits with my bad boy "Looooolth" bard image, and would also be a useful tool in my investigations (and intimidations?)

Spider is not listed in the official write up, but maybe we could base it off the cat? It is also a stealthy animal which is good at getting into places. I did think about basing it off the monkey, but spiders probably don't have the brains or the carrying capacity to be good thieves, however attractive that would be.

In terms of backstory, we can just say that Uhlskah was often left to himself as a child by his busy parents in their basement apartment, and took comfort in training the little spiders and insects he found there. As he grew up, he kept these skills in training critters, and has used the tarantula to his advantage to shock and delight his audience.
Jun 30, 2015 4:22 am
sounds good!
Jun 30, 2015 7:09 pm
Cool, thanks! One thing about the spider - instead of the additional range on sneaking which the cat provides, I wonder if instead my spider could grant me a +4 bonus to perception to spot a creature when we're within 10 squares as the hawk does (a kind of "spider sense"?!)
Jun 30, 2015 7:16 pm
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say 'spider sense' because spider man ends up sensing things he can't see. But yes, 8 or so eyes could be helpful in spotting things and if he is on the ground he could have a small tremor sense (Because spider always know when something is on their web). How does the spider communicate things/ do you see through its eye's?
Jul 1, 2015 6:34 am
Yeah, I agree that Spiderman-like spider sense goes too far. The description of Animal Master in Dragon #399 doesn't explain how exactly the animal gives the benefit. It's definitely not shared sight - that only comes in as a power at 10th level.

I suppose it is just that the spider and I have a bond, so I recognize when it is noticing something, and that gives me a boost to my own perception.

The flavour text sort of says this:
Quote:
The internal quality that makes you an animal master is your ability to develop and maintain a rapport with any animal you choose. It’s the external manifestation of that ability that those around you see. You are the owner of a highly trained animal minion, a loyal companion and ally that uses its abilities to aid you.
The exact text for the hawk says:
Quote:
Hawk’s Eye
While within 10 squares of the hawk, the hawk’s master gains a +4 bonus to Perception checks made to spot creatures.
I wonder if we could say something like

Spider's Tremorsense

While within 10 squares of the spider, the spider's master gains a +4 bonus to Perception checks made to spot creatures on a contingent solid surface to the spider, whether or not the creature is invisible.

This means it wouldn't help against flying creatures, but would against invisible ones, which gives a little of the 'spider sense' without getting too crazy.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.