Pre-Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 23, 2015 4:23 pm
Players, feel free to post about your characters and ask questions about the world.
May 23, 2015 5:50 pm
Hi, all! Really excited to be here. I'd like to know more about the star spawn. My character will be a star-pact warlock so this will probably have some bearing.
May 23, 2015 6:26 pm
In this fiction they are neither simple stars nor unfathomable entities of the Far Realm. This will be interesting. Do you have stored inside you the last uncorrupted essence of the fallen stars? Capable of purifying the star-pawn and returning them to the deep sky? Or are you also affected by the darkness which has cast shadows in the fallen stars you swore a pact to?
The star spawn are various entities, creatures, objects, which are pieces of the stars, shinning white or light blue in their pure form, fragments resulting from the star's fall. They have since been corrupted by the darkness and appear as shadow creatures at night killing and sucking away the life. Thick walled cities with a night's watch and fires left burning are safe havens at night. The sprawling farms that used to exist have been abandoned, because simple farmers could not protect themselves. Food would be in short supply if not for the farmers who live inside the city and go out to tend crops only during the day light hours. Still the food to population ratio is a fragile balance. Fighting over food / sources of food/ rioting is possible though not common.
Day travel is only as dangerous as normal, an occasional owl bear or wolf. There are few bandits because they also have to survive the darkness, if they intend to camp out on the road.
May 23, 2015 8:46 pm
Hello. I am very intrigued by this set up and look forward to the game. I have several character ideas that I have been wanting to try out. I have a particular lean toward the controller classes. I have a Tiefling Psion and a Gnome Wizard (illusionist). But I am also happy to play any of the other archetypes. Either a Battlemind or swordmage as a defender. Shaman or Warlord if I need to play a leader role. Striker tends to be my least favorite archetype but Jabes has that covered so no worries there.

I'm not saying we have to have a complete set of the four, but it has always worked well in my face-to-face games if most types are present.
May 24, 2015 7:00 am
So as I said in the Tavern, I'm thinking of playing a Drow (I said "Dark Elf", but as I understand it that is something separate in 4e) Bard. As I understand it (new to 4e) it makes me a "leader", though very much in the "support" role rather than actually leading - wouldn't really fit with the personality I have in mind. I am also getting my head around alignment in 4e. In other editions I would probably be Chaotic Neutral, but I suppose that just makes me unaligned in 4e? In any case I don't want to be evil - though I will play with the whole image of an evil Lloth-worshipper in an ironic way.

So just to check - is it OK to play a Drow from the Forgotten Realm Player's Guide, and am I right about being unaligned?
May 24, 2015 2:57 pm
You are right about the alignment. They "streamlined" things in 4e and it really just bogged things down in my opinion.

As for Bards being Leaders, if you choose the Valor build you can be the kind of character that leads the charge and calls out battle tactics. Is that what you were looking for? Leaders are a little bit support and healing. Those are core concepts and tactics for all of the Leader classes, but you can add on to that. The Bard of Valor can be on the front lines and be effective. Also the Warlord and Runepriest are great front line Leaders in my opinion.Clerics are OK but I think they fall more heavily into support.

As for the Drow /Dark Elf question, I'll leave that to the Gm to rule on because that falls into the story and history category. Obviously they intend for players to have the option but it depends in how the Drow are seen in this world.
May 24, 2015 4:19 pm
He doesn't want to play the leader from a rp character perspective. He is journalist, who doesn't wait for things to happen he investigates (Correct?). You can play Drow. As DM I'm going to say don't let the technical rules like how alignment works in E4 prevent you from creating an interesting character. Explain your alignment in your back story and current day motivations. Your character comes down to more than just a word of 'good', 'evil' or 'unaligned'.
May 25, 2015 2:37 am
I'm also curious about some of the racial issues harlandski has brought up. What is it like to be a drow or a tiefling in this society? And what about warlocks and sorcerers? How are these races and arcane practices viewed in this fiction? Are they commonplace or are they met with suspicion or maybe even revulsion? Are they pursued by the law and do they need to conceal what they are?

On the subject of resources, which books or resources are ok to use for character creation? To build a star pact hexblade I would have to draw from PHB, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and Dragon Magazine articles which I am sure I can find online and can link to.
Last edited May 25, 2015 3:38 am
May 25, 2015 2:55 am
Also, are we using all the options for 4e? Specifically, Themes and Backgrounds.
May 25, 2015 6:49 pm
You can pick themes and backgrounds. But you can also just not, if it complicates things for you.
May 26, 2015 1:11 am
Ravastine Droverson was partly born into a family of hereditary aurochs ranchers, who now raised crops during the day, spending the nights safely behind the city walls. Which is to say, that her mother Edditha was human, but when she was born, her ears told the story that her mother had not been entirely faithful, although she never explained. As she grew, her eyes and ears everyday gave proof of her elven parentage. She was raised in the human household, her step-father maintaining his relations with Edditha, raising Ravastine alongside his true children. Still, she was never his favourite, to say the least, and often bore the whip for a step-siblings misdeeds or errors.

When she was still small, she left home and the family trade, taking to the streets. A small cabal of urchins held court in the popular Square of the Dawn, scrounging for leftovers from the days trade. Death came easy on the streets, and Ravastine lost many friends during a particularly harsh winter. She was a sturdy girl, and didn't mind the cold as much as the others. She relished the freedom, and was rarely as abused as she had at her fathers stern household.

She was either rescued or recruited one night. It was the winter solstice of her 11th year. Festival ale meant that there were many unguarded pockets, but her shivering fingers were caught by one inebriated man, a knight of Erathis in common garb. He took one look at her, cheeks sharply defined against underfed cheeks, and decided to take her as his squire.

Arnould the Bold raised her he would a son in the confines of the small but proud Erathian temple. Of mixed blood himself (the servants believed him to be part earth-spirit and the rest human, or worse a half-dwarf abomination), he taught Ravastine some history of the city, of the starfall, and of the unending battle against the fel beasts of the night. He taught her the commandments of Erathis, along with the martial ways, how to see into the hearts of men, and to face down miscreants. Now, newly freed from his tutelage, Ravastine has vowed to help protect the city from enemies both within, and without.
May 26, 2015 3:36 pm
Beautiful description.
(your character sheet till says Paladin of the Raven Queen)
Did you role for your ability scores? or did you point buy? (str, dex, ect.)
May 26, 2015 4:05 pm
ShadowFire says:
Beautiful description.
I agree! Great backstory and description, @Qralloq!

Here is Uhlskah Kilth's backstory.

When the stars fell to earth, Uhlskah Kilth's parents were in Dragon Pool, trading the rare gems they had brought overland from the distant Underdark. Part merchants and part spies, they found themselves cut off from their source of wealth and their paymasters. Zesniss Kilth already knew that she was carrying a child, and she had hoped to take her husband back to the Underdark so he could raise their daughter or son on the profits of the expedition. Pragmatic to the last, she instead used the money to buy a discreet gemcutter's workshop in the basement of a building in the better part of town. Over the last 80 years the couple have established themselves as among the leading gemsmiths in the city. Their son (alas, not daughter) has proved a far less profitable venture.

Cut off from the Drow culture and religion, it proved very difficult to instil Drow values into young Uhlskah. Entering his "teens" (ie his 60s) this turned into open rebellion. Uhlskah trained as a musician (of all things!) and delights and terrifies the masses with his dark appearance and darker references to Lolth and the evil deeds of the Drow, which to him are just artistic devices. His drive to gather new, local material for his songs has led to a fascination with the dark underbelly of Dragon Pool. He has taken to investigating every criminal rumour that he hears, and weaving truth with fiction to amaze and horrify. He has also found that there is a kind of magical power in his music, which he never experienced in his parents' dull sermons about the worship of the Spider Queen.

(Still working on the character sheet - am using the basic array of stats, modified by race if that's OK. Hope to finish it in the next 24hrs, then I'll submit it).
Last edited May 26, 2015 4:09 pm
May 26, 2015 4:39 pm
Yes, that's fine. In case this is different from what you are used to
the standard arrays for 4th are
(16,14,14,11,10,10)
(18,14,11,10,10,8)
(16,16,12,11,11,8)

Great Backstory too!
May 26, 2015 4:41 pm
Thanks, and like your backstory to, harlandski. I'll update the char sheet more once it's fully working. I also used the standard array from the PHB with racial mods.
May 26, 2015 7:47 pm
Great back stories, guys! I've a back story in mind for my character but need to write it out. Already submitted character sheet but it's still lacking details. I hope the 4e character sheet bugs have been fixed. I am also using one of the stat arrays from PHB page 18.

Am interested in the official investigators in Dragon Pool. Does this Fringe Division/ X-Files group have a name? How does one become an agent? In a world where monsters, demons, magic and undead exist, and where dark life-sucking things outside the city walls are a fact of life, what would still be considered strange? What sort of cases would such a group be called on to investigate?

Also:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I'm also curious about some of the racial issues harlandski has brought up. What is it like to be a drow or a tiefling in this society? And what about warlocks and sorcerers? How are these races and arcane practices viewed in this fiction? Are they commonplace or are they met with suspicion or maybe even revulsion? Are they pursued by the law and do they need to conceal what they are?

On the subject of resources, which books or resources are ok to use for character creation? To build a star pact hexblade I would have to draw from PHB, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and Dragon Magazine articles which I am sure I can find online and can link to.
Last edited May 27, 2015 8:04 am
May 27, 2015 1:53 am
Character Intro:
Kirrian Shadowpool is a male gnome who has lived in Dragon Pool for 60 years. No one is share where he came from exactly, but one day he showed up with a bag of gold and gems and bought an old mill that had been converted into several stores and living quarters for the shop owners. He immediately evicted all the residents of the building making a name for himself in town as a miser and curmudgeon. He did however posess some skill in the Arcane arts and he made a business out of helping people with whatever issues they brought to his door. The children of Dragon Pool especially dislike him as he has been known to play cruel pranks on them if they stray to close to his shop. There are rumors that he has abducted children and eaten them in the past, but the adults have never listened to these tales because no one can name any actual victims. What the adults dislike is the armed guard that is nearly always on duty at his home. The face changes from time to time, but there is always an armed and armored gnome lurking about the grounds who will chase off anyone not approved by Kirrian. All in all he is tolerated but not well liked by the towns folk who don't take the time to get to know him.

Those who do get to know Kirrian find him to be a bit abrasive, but also honest and open. If they spend time getting to know him they learn that he is actually a high ranking noble among the fey courts, exiled to the Material Plane for an unknown reason. They also learn that the guard he employs is the last remnant of his station that he clings to.

His friends, those rare and precious few who get him to open up, learn the true reason he lives the way he does. Eighty years ago when the event called the Start all happened, a new gate to the Feydark opened in Dragon Pool, in the basement of the old mill that Kirrian lives in. It was unknown to many for a time, even the denizens of the Feydark did not realize it existed. However it was discovered and dark and horrible creatures began to slip through and brought terror to the city. A band of brave warriors fought their way through the Feydark to find the portal and seal it. Unfortunately they were to late. A powerful Formorian had claimed the gateway and the surrounding area as his personal holdings. The brave warriors, fey nobility one and all, fell by tens to the grotesque giant. In the end, only two remained, a gravely injured eladrin knight and his faithful servant, Kirrian. As his master lay there attempting to gather his strength for an assault that would kill him, Kirrian approached the self made formorian king and proposed a bargain. If the formorian would guard the gateway in the feydark, Kirrian would give up the Feywild and all of its glory and serve as its guard in the Material World, protecting the dark despot from reprisal by the people of Dragon Pool. The formorian was not exactly worried that anyone would challenge him, but he liked the idea of not having to put up with pests crawling through his door. As an added bonus he was gaining what he saw as a servant, a fine tribute to his kingship.

When Kirrian went back to his master and told him what had transpired, the feylord was moved by the sacrifice. He bestowed Kirrian with a title, granting him great status among the fey. This also entitled him to an honor guard, Kirrian elects to keep his guard limited to one volunteer who is free to go at the asking. His notieriaty among his people has made him famous and there never seems to be a shortage of willing guardsmen or women ready to serve. His current guard is a gnomish woman named Grindylow. She has taken to the task well and maintains the cover Kirrian has created for himself very well. She is however at times, a little over zealous in her duties and Kirrian has had to remind her that the people of Dragon Pool, especially its children are the reason they guard the gateway in the basement.

It has been several years since the formorian king has bothered Kirrian. He secretly hopes that he has been forgotten, but will not voice the idea for fear of tempting fate. However, there are stories of odd occurrences in Dragon Pool of late that make Kirrian worry that the corruption of the Start all has breached the veil between the Feydark and the Material Plane again. His duty is two-fold now. Protect the city, indeed the world from the things in the dark, and investigate the corruption to make sure it is not seeping into the Feywild.

--------------

So there it is. I figure at least one of the party, if not all, know what Kirrian is all about. He gladly investigates any disturbances, fearing they are fey-related and somehow a result of his lax supervision (not that he or Grindylow are ever lax). He is built using the Witch build from the Heroes if the Feywild book. I used one of the arrays in the PHB then racial modifiers. He has the Sidhe Lord Theme, Grindylow is the name of his current summoned guard. His familiar is a Course Attendant, it looks like a miniature Eladrin female dressed in closing white silks Kirrian dresses in dark blues, grays and blacks. Usually diseveld and patched to keep up the idea that he is not nice and distance the citizens of Dragon Pool, but he has never actually hurt anyone. Grindylow is the opposite in dress, all gleaming silver armor and resplendant clothing, though also in dark colors to show who she works for.
May 27, 2015 2:23 am
Well done, foolsmask. Excellent details and ties to the world.
May 27, 2015 2:50 pm
Yeah, fantastic stuff, foolsmask.

Sorry guys, but the bugs on the character sheet are proving a real roadblock to me at the moment. I spent half an hour putting in feats and features, with detailed descriptions, and then when I went back - all gone :-(

I've posted again on the bug thread http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/612/ and hope it will be fixed soon.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend a good form-fillable pdf sheet for 4e? Ideally one that does the sums for me, as my knowledge of 4e mechanics is still shaky at best. And one which has space to write the description of powers, feats etc. I thought I could at least post my character as pdf, and then once the bugs are fixed can transfer it across there.
May 27, 2015 3:01 pm
Harlandski, I just filled in what I could. You could list feats and powers in notes so that the GM can approve your concept (note to self: do that).
May 27, 2015 3:21 pm
Right now I am creating my own character sheet in Google Docs and just putting that in the Notes section of the GP character sheet. Will probably post a link to it in this thread as well.
May 27, 2015 3:32 pm
How valuable would it be to have a wizards of the cost account / access to the character generator?
May 27, 2015 3:52 pm
Is the 4th edition generator still working? I would have thought it shut down when 5th edition came out. I used to have one when I had a regular game night, but now...I'm not sure. It'd be cool and quick to update characters, but as a player I wouldn't access it often once I had my character. I did however use it to get monsters. The GM tools were useful for me to grab monsters fast, nearly every thing was searchable. And it allows you to create custom monsters easily...that was fun. You can also drag and drop parts of monsters. I made a big bad solo that was a red dragon/mindflayer combo. My players loved fighting it.

So in the end, my opinion is that its cool but not critical. I wouldn't invest in a whole year. Maybe try it for a month. It will export character sheets as PDFs...so a the very least we could do that once and not renew. But I wouldn't want you to spend money if you have any reservations.
May 27, 2015 6:09 pm
I would also think Wizards would have taken that service down by now.

Anyhoo, I have done the best of a bad job with my character sheet: As suggested I put all my powers into notes. I also gave Ulskah 5 'ranks' in the skills he is skilled in to represent the +5 from being skilled. Do they even have ranks in 4e, or is that a hangover from a 3.5e character sheet?

Anyway, I think I am good to go, and looking forward to our adventures!
May 27, 2015 8:41 pm
Jabes, the Fringe Division/ X-Files group doesn't have a name yet (would you like to give it one?)
Most deaths/murders/altercations are easy for the guards to deal with. When something is stolen you can generally figure out who did it, or it isn't worth the time.
So they investigate serial killings, disappearances (could be sacrifices to a god or for a ritual), a small low hanging rain cloud that appeared over one building and hasn't moved, threats to the ruling houses, thefts of dangerous objects, sickness that breaks out. Even giving that this is a magical world, there are still unusual things. General persons don't know about all the high level spells and things that are possible.
May 27, 2015 8:42 pm
Some questions for clarification on Kirrian

"A powerful Formorian had claimed the gateway and the surrounding area as his personal holdings."
The gateway area in the material plane(dragon pool) or feydark?
Why did fey nobility fight so hard for people of the material plane?
Is the mill outside or inside the walls of dragonpool?
May 28, 2015 12:23 am
ShadowFire says:
Some questions for clarification on Kirrian

"A powerful Formorian had claimed the gateway and the surrounding area as his personal holdings."
The gateway area in the material plane(dragon pool) or feydark?
Why did fey nobility fight so hard for people of the material plane?
Is the mill outside or inside the walls of dragonpool?
Sorry if things were unclear. It wasn't so much that the Feylords wanted to protect the material plane from the Formorian. They wanted to investigate the corruption and how it seemed to create a gateway. However the Fomorian is to powerful for them to route. Kirrian offered to guard the gate in order to bind the fomorian from entering the material plane because he has a desire to protect everyone, and it let's him watch the gateway and learn how the corruption on the material world is affecting the Feywild. The fomorian controls the Feydark side of the portal and his pact with Kirrian says he has to leave the people of Dragon Pool alone. The mill, or what the building that used to be the mill is inside Dragon Pool.
May 28, 2015 6:50 pm
Ok I've pasted all my stats & story into the Notes section of the GP character sheet, and also inserted a link to the character sheet I will maintain on Google Docs.

So here's my character introduction:

Fox Asterion, Human Hexblade
(Star Pact, Level 1)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7f/5e/21/7f5e218f9a11979265f9c7c64b9c851f.jpg

Long before Fox Asterion was even born he was pledged to serve as an agent of the Ironwrought. It was tradition: the first-born sons of his family had all served in the crown’s military & clandestine service when they came of age. After all, the Asterion family had created the organization. The Ironwrought served as military advisers & leaders, diplomats, investigators, and spies. First-born daughters controlled the family’s business interests, which were primarily in mining and ironworks. Needless to say, between their loyalty to the crown and lucrative government contracts for the family’s business holdings, the House of Asterion did very well.

But all that almost came to an end when the land was torn apart and kingdoms were abolished in the wake of the Starfall. With no crown to act as benefactor, House Asterion has had to fight to maintain their influence in the new society. For the moment the House is part of the ruling council in Dragon Pool, but competing Houses are many, and not all are honorable in their ambition.

The Ironwrought continue to serve as guardians of the people, although there are those in some quarters, as there have always been, who are suspicious of both the organization and its founding family, believing them greedy and corrupt, with hidden sinister agendas. Whether out of malice or innocent superstition, rumors and whispers abound, particularly concerning the disappearance of Fox’s twin sister Dana ten years ago. Their father, it is whispered, made a pact with Hell to increase the power and influence of House Asterion, and to gain sorcerous powers for their agents. Yiuzras Asterion sacrificed his own daughter as part of this pact, some say. Still others whisper that the pact made had been with the Star Spawn - that House Asterion had foreseen (or had brought about) the Starfall. Perhaps no one knows the truth but the former House patriarch himself, but if so he has taken the secret to his grave. He fell ill and died soon after his daughter’s disappearance, and leadership of House Asterion, as well as the seat on the ruling council, passed to his brother Yazleon.

Fox Asterion, possessing real talent, dedication and no small amount of charm, is well-liked among the Ironwrought, particularly among those agents who are not his kinsmen. Among his kinsmen, his lack of ambition is seen as a shortcoming on one hand, and as a boon on the other, given the rumors surrounding his branch of the family. Which is not to say that he has not gained some rank in the organization. He has risen as far as lieutenant, forever chasing after the strangest of cases in the hope of finding out the truth of his sister’s mysterious disappearance. He does not know where his powers come from. He hears voices in his fevered nightmares, but they speak neither their identity nor their purpose. In these nightmares he knows only cold, brilliant blue light, and an overwhelming dread. And the single word, spoken over and over: his name. Could the rumors about his family be true? Was Dana given as payment? Payment for what? For his powers? Is there more to come? And might further payment be exacted on the day of reckoning? These and more are the questions Fox Asterion seeks to answer.

-----------------------------------
Notes:
First of all, I chose the Noble background to reflect House Asterion's station.

Next, I chose the Ironwrought theme and the Military and Urban backgrounds to represent Asterion's training in the FBI-like, state-run organization founded by his family. At first I was going to give the organization a name but I went ahead and just used Ironwrought to simplify things. This is the main organization. I'll leave the naming of the special fringe division to our GM :-)

One of my Language choices is Thieves' Cant (the secret language of the criminal underworld). I don't know if this will get much use but it's certainly in-character for Asterion's occupation.

If any corrections need to be made please let me know :-) Looking forward to starting the adventures!

Resources used:
Player’s Handbook 1
Player’s Handbook 2
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
Heroes of the Elemental Chaos
Dragon Magazine #393
Dragon Magazine #366
Last edited May 29, 2015 6:32 am
May 29, 2015 6:14 am
Great backstory, well linked to the setting.

I'm new to 4e, and have stumbled my way through the PHB1, PHB2 and Forgotten Realms Player's Guide to make my character. Could I ask - what are backgrounds and themes in 4e? Are they essential, or added when you make custom classes?

So... are we ready to rumble?
May 29, 2015 6:27 am
harlandski says:
Great backstory, well linked to the setting.

I'm new to 4e, and have stumbled my way through the PHB1, PHB2 and Forgotten Realms Player's Guide to make my character. Could I ask - what are backgrounds and themes in 4e? Are they essential, or added when you make custom classes?

So... are we ready to rumble?
Thanks, harlandski! Just like you, I am a D&D veteran but this is my first time with 4E. Themes and backgrounds are chosen at character creation, I think, because that says something about what your character was before adventuring. They are optional though.
ShadowFire says:
You can pick themes and backgrounds. But you can also just not, if it complicates things for you.
Looking forward to our adventures! :-)
May 29, 2015 11:51 am
I see, thanks!

By the way I tried out of idle curiosity to go to www.www.dndinsider.com and was redirected to http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/tools.aspx but everything there seemed to be working including the subscription service, though Dungeon Magazine only ran to Dec 2013. Didn't actually try spending any money but I suppose all those tools might still be available.
May 29, 2015 12:44 pm
Specifically, Backgrounds are intended to flesh our your character history by giving you prefabricated events or occupations. Mechanically they either give you a new skill to add to your list of choices or a +2 bonus to a skill based on which background you choose. Some of them add languages to your character as well, and a rare few have more powerful benefits, but those are setting specific usually. Its really just fluff if you want if. I didn't use one because I was happy with my skill choices and totals.

Themes are a little more...mechanically influential... I guess that's how is put it. They all come with a specific advantage, usually in the fomr of an encounter or daily power that is in addition to your class and race. Its usually nothing big, just an extra trick or small attack that you might find useful that ads to the flavor of your character. I chose for my character to be a fey nobility in a self imposed exile. So I went with the Siege Noble Theme. My wizard get to summon a guardsman once per day. Well techno ally it stays around all the time but appears when I need it to. It is a summon power just like any other daily summon powers a wizard or druid might have, but the guard is weak at only having my healing surge value in HP. One good hit and she's gone. If we advance in level I can choose from a few other options for my utility powers and at 5th level I get "Fame" (it has a different name but I don't have my book with me) that basically means people pay attention when my character speaks because they don't want to insult a noble house and make "important people" angry. He might be able to get us a free room or kick someone out of their room if an inn is full, or get in to see a noble when they claim to be busy. There's another benefit at 10th level, but I forget what it is right now. In the end its just a little flavor bonus with rules support, But there are a lot of interesting options.
Last edited May 29, 2015 12:47 pm
May 29, 2015 6:33 pm
Thanks foolsmask, that's also helpful.

I take it backgrounds are scattered across lots of different books.

I came across this list of themes though nothing jumps out at me as being relevant to my metal bard investigative reporter.

Maybe someone has a book with some suitable backgrounds or a theme for Ulskah? Or can I make them myself to fit my character concept, and if so, how?

Or maybe I should just be happy with my simple build, which is already a lot to get my head round... :-) I'd rather start playing than worry about this extra stuff too much.
May 29, 2015 6:57 pm
Not interested in the Fatedancer or a tweaked Athasian Minstrel? PHB2 has some basic backgrounds that you can mix & match for interesting combinations. I think your character is interesting enough with the basic build though :-) You can always add the theme later when you get a better feel for Ulskah :-) Yeah, as a fellow 4E newbie I'm also finding there's a lot to wrap your head around!. And to think we're only 1st level!
May 29, 2015 9:20 pm
-Ravastine did you ever ask who your father was or get information about the elvin populations?

Note to Jabes I forgot to make. Warlocks and sorcerers are not overly common but are accepted if they abide by the laws. Drow and tiefling and goblins live in the city. Many racial barriers have melted down in the face of a common threat that forces close quarters living. That doesn't mean everyone gets along.
-What colour is Asterion's hair?

-Equitas takes on cases of unusual nature, threats to the city and its inhabitants. A Kubi, (agent) of equitas has a higher rank then that of the guard, and can make reasonable orders of them, get them to keep a lookout for something, search a certain district, send a message.
May 29, 2015 9:50 pm
In my backstory, I had that Ravastine's mother never spoke of the infidelity or R's father. It could be that R suspects several elfs through rumour (nosy neighbours 'remembered' certain elves in the 'hood around the appropriate time) but she doesn't know for sure. I'll compile a list, although maybe the true father was entirely unobserved.
Last edited May 29, 2015 9:51 pm
May 29, 2015 10:43 pm
You don't have to but details that can effect the present or future story can be interesting.
Ravastine can you give me some details on your temple? How many priests, do commoners just come and go, or get council there, do you or anyone else sleep in the temple? Is it attended at night?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm trying to the get the continuity right to start this. And make it a non cliche opening.
May 30, 2015 12:49 am
The Temple to Erathis isn't very large or well kept. Once a thriving center of learning and a cultural centre of civic pride, recent generations have found other appetites for their hopes and dreams. The priests of Erathis may be to blame.

The high priest, Eckvart, took the staff with some controversy, as his main rival was found murdered in his cell. No culprit was apprehended, which had two main consequences: suspicion for the deed was cast on Eckvert, and the church was seen as less capable - afterall, if they could not solve a murder inside their own walls, what help could they offer outside them.

To date, Eckvert presides over 7 acolytes, two of some hope and standing and the other 5 more aptly described as servants. Of the two paladins of the order, one is a dour man, prone to harsh drink and harsher words, while the other is an untested girl of uncertain lineage. Together or apart, however, the stern acolytes of the church of Erathis hope to keep the darkness at bay as long as they can.

As to the public, while civil defense meetings rotate through the church along with other locations, and the cities engineers consult with the library of Erathis, the commoners who frequent the church are most likely to be merchants, career guardsmen, and the fallen rich. The poor require more promises of hope than Erathis will give, and so they only come in numbers when the rain is fierce.
Last edited May 30, 2015 12:52 am
May 30, 2015 8:19 am
ShadowFire says:
Note to Jabes I forgot to make. Warlocks and sorcerers are not overly common but are accepted if they abide by the laws. Drow and tiefling and goblins live in the city. Many racial barriers have melted down in the face of a common threat that forces close quarters living. That doesn't mean everyone gets along.
-What colour is Asterion's hair?

-Equitas takes on cases of unusual nature, threats to the city and its inhabitants. A Kubi, (agent) of equitas has a higher rank then that of the guard, and can make reasonable orders of them, get them to keep a lookout for something, search a certain district, send a message.
Asterion's hair is black, like most of his family. Members of House Asterion have a distinctive skin coloration, tending towards a pale gray (but not sickly) with a mildly metallic sheen. Nothing as shocking as Raistlin Majere. Just different.

Here's a simplified hierarchy system for the Ironwrought, with real-world equivalents:
Tiro - recruits/ probees/ junior agents / clerks & the like
Kubi - Field agents
Dux Kubi - Senior agents/ Supervisors
Trysz Kubi - Senior Officers
Justicar - Assistant Director
Executor - Director

I don't know how big you want the entire organization to be. The head of Equitas would most certainly be from the extended Asterion family, and would probably be either a Dux or a Trysz, depending on how many members this special unit has.

I imagine the organization would be well aware of Kirrian and the Fomorian. Asterion may or may not have met Kirrian. I would assume he has met Ravastine and Ser Arnould on official business before.

I think it's great when GM's give some narrative control to players, and you are doing it quite admirably. Please know that I would hate to overstep any lines though. If for the sake of the story you ask me to change anything I've written I will gladly do so.
Last edited June 1, 2015 8:09 am
May 30, 2015 2:56 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I think it's great when GM's give some narrative control to players, and you are doing it quite admirably.
Strongly agree!
ShadowFire says:
Drow and tiefling and goblins live in the city.
Could you say a little more about this @ShadowFire? Or can I? I was originally thinking the Kilth family might have been the only Drow in the city. That not being the case could also interesting. Maybe there is a temple of Lolth which Ulskah gets dragged to on important occasions, and whose services he stands (can't see pews in a temple of the Spider Queen) through with an ironic expression on his face. Or are there just a few scattered Drow in the city, not enough to make a congregation? My backstory sort of assumes that he hasn't felt much power coming from Lolth, and the fact he uses Lolth motifs in his songs to dramatic effect sort of assume there's not actually a 20th level cleric of Lolth waiting round the corner to necrotically incinerate him for heresy...
May 30, 2015 2:59 pm
I would like to keep the feygate a big secret from the town. I'm OK with the Executor and maybe the Justicars knowing, but there is an agreement that they never tell anyone. The fear is that the regular people won't believe the threat of the formorian and will try to go to the Feywild to escape or find a treasures. I am fine with party members knowing as well, but the standing order is to tell no one else. Guarding the gate isn't fun, but it isn't a lot of work either. He just has to make sure no one from the Material Plane goes through it, and with the gateway being in his locked basement, he doesn't have to do much. So his main motivation is understanding the Starfall and its corrupting influence.
May 30, 2015 3:43 pm
harlandski says:
Could you say a little more about this @ShadowFire? Or can I?
Go ahead. Take the story riens. I was using those races as an example. You could be the only drow family.
May 30, 2015 3:56 pm
foolsmask says:
and will try to go to the Feywild.
So the gate leads to both the feywild and the feydark?
May 31, 2015 2:25 pm
Well, not exactly, the Feydark is beneath the Feywild, like the Underdark is under the regular world. So the gateway connects the Feydark to the regular world, but you could get to the Feywild as well.
May 31, 2015 3:46 pm
foolsmask says:
I would like to keep the feygate a big secret from the town. I'm OK with the Executor and maybe the Justicars knowing, but there is an agreement that they never tell anyone. The fear is that the regular people won't believe the threat of the formorian and will try to go to the Feywild to escape or find a treasures. I am fine with party members knowing as well, but the standing order is to tell no one else. Guarding the gate isn't fun, but it isn't a lot of work either. He just has to make sure no one from the Material Plane goes through it, and with the gateway being in his locked basement, he doesn't have to do much. So his main motivation is understanding the Starfall and its corrupting influence.
Ooooh! Government conspiracy! I like it! *rubbing hands together* :-D So the Ironwrought top brass knows, but not the lower officers and definitely not the rank & file. Equitas knows (probably because they were the ones who caught wind of it in the first place). I wonder, do the other members of the Ruling Council (besides Yazleon Asterion) know but are keeping it from the populace, or are they also in the dark? No matter which of the above are the facts, what version of the facts has my character been told and what does he believe?
Last edited June 1, 2015 3:57 pm
Jun 1, 2015 3:37 pm
ShadowFire says:
Go ahead. Take the story riens. I was using those races as an example. You could be the only drow family.
OK, well this is how I see it in broad terms.

The Kilth family are one of five sets of Drow in the city. There are two other families like the Kilths, who are fairly unremarkable and also practice mundane professions in the city. They are from the same Underdark realm as the Kilths, and were also in town for some respectable reason at the time of the Starfall. The Kilths suspect that they may have also been involved in subterfuge, but their oath of secrecy prevents them from finding out if this were the case. There is one other Drow from the same Underdark realm, a high level fighter who acts as personal guard captain to a wealthy family in the town. She is feared and respected throughout the city, though the rest of the Drow think it beneath the dignity of a Drow to act as a servant, even one with such personal power.

The fifth and final Drow family is more of a mystery. What is certain is that they were not from the same Underdark realm as everyone else. The Kilths and the others did not even think there was another Underdark realm before they met the Khaluils. However, the Khaluil family have proved themselves the cement of the Drow community in Dragon Pool: From the beginning they sought out the other Drow, invited them to covert ceremonies in honour of Lolth and encouraged the Drow to stick together for mutual benefit. What's more, the elder of the Khaluil family, Shulvallzira Khaluil has made her way onto the City Council, and so represents Drow interests there. All the other Drow are extremely suspicious of the Khaluils, but as they have made themselves so useful, not to mention influential in the city, no-one has challenged the status quo. To make matters worse, the Khaluils have had a prodigious number of children, including a preternaturally intelligent pair of twin girls of one age with Uhlskah, and this one family threatens to outnumber the rest of the Drow community put together.

There was also a sixth group of Drow - adventurers who left the city at the time of the Starfall - but they never returned to Dragon Pool and are presumed dead.

(Hopefully some tasty hooks there :-)
Last edited June 1, 2015 3:38 pm
Jun 1, 2015 4:02 pm
harlandski says:
(Hopefully some tasty hooks there :-)
Nice, harlandski! This whole setup is super tasty! Can't wait to start adventuring! :-D
Jun 2, 2015 4:59 pm
I've started the story in the subforum so you're probably not subscribed.
This is an open world / sandbox game so theoretically you can do anything, but you guys probably know that from other rpg.
Jun 2, 2015 5:19 pm
Ahh, the game is afoot! Added a post.
Jun 5, 2015 3:57 pm
Just a heads up: I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 5, 2015 4:35 pm
I have a related question: This game is "2 posts per week", right? I'm new to pbp gaming - do we agree on certain days, or how does that work?
Jun 5, 2015 5:17 pm
I'm new to it as well. I wouldn't say 2 posts is a hard rule but an approximate and some rounds of action you can do in one post but some require responses from the GM and other players so their would be several shorter posts.
I would say it isn't certain days because some people are busy and have more time on different days. This isn't live so we have the luxury or being able to play without having our schedules match up.
Jun 6, 2015 1:03 am
I've always thought of the "posts per week" as a general number of times you try to check in on the game. If you subscribe to the forum you get notices via email and that gives you an idea of the activity level. If you have a couple notices, check the game when you get a chance. If the story needs your input just try to get to it, but don't worry about it...do it when you can. Personally, if you post an OOC that you are really busy, I'm cool. At least we know you weren't abducted by aliens. I've had two games die on this site already because users just vanished.
Jun 8, 2015 7:34 am
Well I'm back :-) Added another post.

Yeah I think the posts per week thing is just a guide for how much activity the GM would like to see but in the end the great thing about play by post is no preasure :-) On the other hand I would hate to see a game die (I'm fairly new as well so I haven't seen it happen yet). That can happen if a participant loses interest or just isn't putting in the commitment. It would be super frustrating to those who did contribute their time and creativity.
Jun 9, 2015 6:49 am
Oops, talking of my black laquered lute as I did in the game thread, I realize I haven't done anything about starting equipment. To the rulebook!
Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm
(From someone not abducted by aliens)
I'm back. Just had several full days in a row.
Jun 15, 2015 9:02 pm
ShadowFire says:
(From someone not abducted by aliens)
I'm back. Just had several full days in a row.
Kubi Asterion was just about to go searching for you :-D Good to have you back!
Jun 19, 2015 4:33 pm
I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 21, 2015 4:59 pm
Hi! I'm back from my trip and anxious to get back to the adventure :-)
Jun 28, 2015 8:43 am
I've had some time to get my head round 4e backgrounds. No big surprises: wealthy urban entertainer. I'd like to take a +2 in History to represent the boring drow and elven history lessons my family pushed on me, plus a more genuine less studious interest in the history of Dragon Pool based on hearsay. How does that sound?
Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm
Approved.
Jun 29, 2015 5:46 pm
I think I might have found a great (if not the perfect) theme for Uhlskah - it's in Dragon #413 and it's called Secret Apostate. The idea is that it's for apostates from Lolth living in the Underdark, but it also works for Uhlskah in his immigrant / double life situation. The initial power is some sort of free opportunity for a saving throw which is still a bit obscure to me, but over time some bluff/stealth benefits become available which fit my character concept nicely. My only complaint is that maybe it fits my backstory and skills too well - it emphasizes what I've already established rather than giving another facet. @Shadowfire what do you think?

Here's the theme in full:http://stealthygeek.com/dnd/compendium/www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/theme.aspx@id=1005.html
Last edited June 29, 2015 5:57 pm
Jun 30, 2015 1:39 am
Have you really renounced Lolth? Or just didn't become very interested. I don't think you can list her as your god if you take that theme.
Jun 30, 2015 4:05 am
Good point ShadowFire. I think "renounced" is putting too fine a point on it. I think I am probably nominally "Lolthian", and drag myself to big celebrations which I have to attend. On the other hand I delight in using Lolth imagery to horrify my fans - like heavy metal bands of the 80s who probably weren't committed Satanists, despite their image.

I was uncertain about putting "Lolth" as my god for that reason - but I'm probably more agnostic / uncommitted / ironic towards my religion rather than in overt apostasy, and if push comes to shove my identity is still tied up with the Spider Queen.

Also I've thought the rationale of the Secret Apostate theme is that all the other Drow are out to unmask you, but that doesn't really make sense in Dragon Pool where there are so few Drow, and they themselves are very low key about their religion.

So... I'm now thinking about the Animal Master theme from Dragon #399 instead. If possible I would like a spider, a tarantula or slightly bigger spider. Fits with my bad boy "Looooolth" bard image, and would also be a useful tool in my investigations (and intimidations?)

Spider is not listed in the official write up, but maybe we could base it off the cat? It is also a stealthy animal which is good at getting into places. I did think about basing it off the monkey, but spiders probably don't have the brains or the carrying capacity to be good thieves, however attractive that would be.

In terms of backstory, we can just say that Uhlskah was often left to himself as a child by his busy parents in their basement apartment, and took comfort in training the little spiders and insects he found there. As he grew up, he kept these skills in training critters, and has used the tarantula to his advantage to shock and delight his audience.
Jun 30, 2015 4:22 am
sounds good!
Jun 30, 2015 7:09 pm
Cool, thanks! One thing about the spider - instead of the additional range on sneaking which the cat provides, I wonder if instead my spider could grant me a +4 bonus to perception to spot a creature when we're within 10 squares as the hawk does (a kind of "spider sense"?!)
Jun 30, 2015 7:16 pm
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say 'spider sense' because spider man ends up sensing things he can't see. But yes, 8 or so eyes could be helpful in spotting things and if he is on the ground he could have a small tremor sense (Because spider always know when something is on their web). How does the spider communicate things/ do you see through its eye's?
Jul 1, 2015 6:34 am
Yeah, I agree that Spiderman-like spider sense goes too far. The description of Animal Master in Dragon #399 doesn't explain how exactly the animal gives the benefit. It's definitely not shared sight - that only comes in as a power at 10th level.

I suppose it is just that the spider and I have a bond, so I recognize when it is noticing something, and that gives me a boost to my own perception.

The flavour text sort of says this:
Quote:
The internal quality that makes you an animal master is your ability to develop and maintain a rapport with any animal you choose. It’s the external manifestation of that ability that those around you see. You are the owner of a highly trained animal minion, a loyal companion and ally that uses its abilities to aid you.
The exact text for the hawk says:
Quote:
Hawk’s Eye
While within 10 squares of the hawk, the hawk’s master gains a +4 bonus to Perception checks made to spot creatures.
I wonder if we could say something like

Spider's Tremorsense

While within 10 squares of the spider, the spider's master gains a +4 bonus to Perception checks made to spot creatures on a contingent solid surface to the spider, whether or not the creature is invisible.

This means it wouldn't help against flying creatures, but would against invisible ones, which gives a little of the 'spider sense' without getting too crazy.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.