Game's Discussion

May 24, 2015 10:27 pm
Thread for game's discussion.

Also:
Please try to update your character sheets yourselves, because it could be too much for GM to maintain all the recods. I will be checking from time to time, but do not forget to update efforts/damage every change on your sheet yourself. Cheers :)
May 25, 2015 1:56 am
Is this the place to ask rules questions? I obviously want to keep those out of the game thread for the sake of immersion.
May 25, 2015 4:36 am
Sure. This is the place, of course :)
May 25, 2015 4:59 am
Great. I actually answered the rules question I had by myself (read the proverbial manual!). But I have a question about one aspect of playing by post.

As I have discovered, it is possible to edit posts after making die rolls, and the die rolls stay the same. So is it ok to give some general idea of intention, and then roll the dice, and then based on the result point towards the likely outcome. Of course the precise outcome will be up to you the GM, but the roll might give some idea of how adept the attempt was.

I think Gargoyle did this in his post of May 25, 2015 9:57 am, and it made sense and made for a good narration:
Gargoyle says:
Ronna is glancing around and clambering around the rocks awkwardly - she is very much out of her comfort zone.

The thought of broken hounds makes her fidget with her dart launcher constantly and she keeps looking around for this or that high rock or other hiding place she could go for if attacked. This nervousness keeps slowing her down, as she is watching around herself half as much as in front of her.
So in my first post I could have added after my terrible roll of 1 something about my words sounding hollow even to my own ears, which would have segued in to your description of his anger.
May 25, 2015 5:03 am
Yeah, it's exactly so as you said. You can add more details and flavour after you rolled the dice. :)
May 25, 2015 3:25 pm
Considering his travels and his interest in beasts, is there any chance Mandoric knows what any one of "Avatrols, Baliknas, Ergovores, Chirogs and even Ferno Walkers. " sound like? I'm thinking about a creative use of my voice altering pill cypher.
May 25, 2015 4:15 pm
Perhaps... he could know and could roll. We could roll 2 rolls. One for knowledge (diff level is creature level) (cant use skill modifier since this is actual roll for particular knowledge within that skill) - also a permanent roll (if yes we will add it to skill notes), and one for imitation of the voice (same here) + any modifiers from skills.. Animals are normally sensetive to frequences, and persive not only the sound but tembre, nuances and frequency
May 25, 2015 4:20 pm
Ok that makes a lot of sense. I'll include those rolls then should the opportunity arise. Good point about beasts not only going on sound. If only I had a smell pill ;-)
May 25, 2015 5:54 pm
Sorry this only seems to be me asking questions here, but understanding how the Cypher system works was one of my reasons for joining the game. It's about my seskii - as I understand it, he is a level 2 beast so basically it is suicide to put him up against anything tougher? In related news, would Mandoric or the seskii always be able to sense when the opponent is tougher?
May 25, 2015 10:18 pm
At this moment, how far is Nyom from Jax?
May 25, 2015 10:35 pm
Corrected the number btw, it is 60 feet, 18 meters 3 meters more than short range (short range is 4-15 m)
May 26, 2015 2:34 pm
So I'm still trying to work out how to use my seskii companion in combat. One of the reasons I didn't take the Onslaught esotery (which I'm regretting right now...) is that I thought my seskii could do some fighting. Then I read the stuff about NPC on NPC fighting, where it says that the highest level creature just wins ("A Closer Look at Situations Which Don't Involve PCs", p 98), which was the reason I wrote the post above.

Now I've gone back to the "Controls Beasts" description in the Core Rulebook (p 56), and there it says:
Quote:
You and the GM must work out the details of your creature, and you’ll probably make rolls for it in combat or when it takes actions. The beast companion acts on your turn.
So GM :-) Can the seskii attack, and I roll for it? This would mean I could actually use it here, at least against individual broken hounds. Of course it only has 6 health, so I might call it back after it is wounded, but still better than a sausage! :-)
May 26, 2015 4:47 pm
First of all I will need to check all with rulebooks myself. As GM I think we will roll definitely, but we'll consider Seskii level during rolls, your companion is not simple NPC and extension of your PC. I'll dig and think and we will rule it now in detailed form. For now you need separate rolls for Seskii, but mind I could require rolls from Seskii as well, at same way I do require them from players. And rolls will be modified according logic.

For now attack calculation is difficulty mod = Seskii level - target creature level, and in case of broken hounds there no special creature level diff mod since hounds lvl 2 as well.
May 27, 2015 11:46 am
In one Youtube actual play I saw of Numenera, the player simply rolled for their pet's attacks and the damage dealt was determined by the pet's level.
May 27, 2015 11:57 am
I'm happy to go with BlackStork's decision, but just a thought - wouldn't doing (Seskii level - target creature level) mean that the difficulty is basically doubled? For example the target number for a level 3 creature would be 9 AND the seskii gets a one-level shift down, basically making the target number 12. For a level 4 creature (TN 12), the effective target number would be 18! Is that your intention, BlackStork?
May 27, 2015 12:17 pm
No. I also checked it and it does not makes sense. Its too hard. But you will have extra 2 points of damage which also can roll 17-20. I will reduce damage bonuses (but not special effects).
The Seskii will remain lvl 2 creature forever in terms of HP and damage. You could craft or buy armour for it though.
In term of rolls you will just normally roll for your Seskii. This include all group rolls done by party members including negative ones . And positive ones too.
May 27, 2015 6:20 pm
OK great, that makes sense.

I'm looking forward to the next move, but it's my late night now, so it looks like I'll be last to declare in the next round. Most activity seems to happen in this game at my 3am!
May 27, 2015 8:44 pm
So, being as I'm new to PbP, how long is it considered appropriate to wait between posts? I have a job that allows me so much freedom and a personal life that has rare obligations so I am frequently checking throughout the day for updates and such. I may try to join another game just to keep myself from going to crazy on this one. In which case . . . how do I join a new game?
May 27, 2015 8:55 pm
You can create one as GM or wait for one to open.

It depends on players free time, but we are going at nice pace in this game. The only delays we have are exist because of timezone differencies between players. From 4 games i participating in (2 as GM and 2 as player) this is the fastest one if we talking about advance speed.
The players are active and its great.
If it's not enough - just make your game? :D. Also from all resources this is most Numenera-PbP-centric. There alot of Numenera games going right now.
May 27, 2015 9:08 pm
Yeah, I eventually found the active games list by pouring over the new game forum. For some reason, there's not a way I can get there from the games tab. Either way, I'll pepper it with requests to play. I thought about running a game but I already run 4 live DnD 5e games and like being a player when I can be.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.