Prologue: Paying Your Debts

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 25, 2015 2:12 am
You are just inside the treeline, crouched behind the thick brush. Ahead of you is a small clearing, just beyond that the ruins of a small tower, now reduced to no more than two stories.

The very generous gnome who owned the inn that you had participated in damaging during the previous evenings festivities had offered to waive your debt to her if you investigated the tower. Travelers had reported ominous howling coming from the area. That and the occasional disappearance was responsible for rumours that were bad for business. As the most adventurous of the patrons who joined the celebrations you were naturally well suited to the task.

So, here you are, some of you long time friends and some of you recent companions.
May 25, 2015 3:24 am
With horns like that of a ram curving around his head, the silver eyed paladin looked more like a scoundrel planning to ambush an innocent passerby rather than the hunter of evil that he actually was. Kaiakas peered through the underbrush to the ruined tower that lay beyond the small clearing. The reports of howling and disappearances could be connected. He sneered as visions of evil swam through his mind. Whether it be beast or creatures more vile, Kaiakas had vowed to discover the source of these disturbances in order to return a semblance of peace to the area. The tiefling looked to the other members of his group, waiting for them to all be ready to move on the tower. As wary as he was of most people, he felt he could trust these individuals, for now.
Perception check on clearing and tower. Is anything moving? Do I hear anything?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

May 25, 2015 3:34 am
Corban looked on at the tower, cursing the pain in his head that the previous night's drink, or maybe the fighting, had caused. I suppose if all we have to do is bash some weird monster's head in, we should do alright. He glanced at the other members of the party, similarly crouched in the bushes, confirming his previous thought. This group will do some damage. I'm sure Zaris will have some tricks up his sleeve like he usually does, and as much as he might not agree with the Tiefling's beliefs, he was a terror when evil was involved.

He took a moment to make sure his sword was loose in its scabbard, and looked on to the tower, anxious to be done with this hiding in the bushes.
May 25, 2015 4:22 am
It is late afternoon, and the sky is clear. The bright conditions make it easy to detect movement or abnormalities in the clearing and you see none. The tower entrance, originally a double door, has collapsed and you will have to scramble up the rubble and squeeze through a small opening nearly too small for the largest member of your group. Additionally you will certainly need to enter single file. It is almost as if something adjusted the rubble pile just to make the entrance difficult to assault.
May 25, 2015 12:49 pm
Soft footsteps into the earth could scarcely be heard as Reina Coldhearth strode to catch up with the group. A slight chill crawled up out from nowhere, creating a sense of unease in the barbarian's gut. Reina gripped her axe tightly, anticipating another mystery for her and her companions to explore, just as they had done many times in the past. The weathered warrior looked over to see both Kaiakas and Corban. Feirce warriors, the both of them. Reina called them "Friends." Kaiakas gave Reina a small sense of worry; the devil-child was very foreign to her, the clan had taught that such creatures were beings of evil. Kaiakas, strangely enough, always acted the opposite. Reina was much more partial to Corban, as she had fought with him on many occasions, but if Corban trusted Kaiakas then Reina would set her unease to rest.

"I don't think we were followed. Our tracks are light." Reina announced quietly to the party. She really didn't need to worry about their footsteps, they had followed a pre-worn path, but her reflex and instinct instructed her otherwise. There was no telling who might show up behind her, specifically, and Reina wouldn't risk the entire group for her carelessness. Today was a simple job, and Reina would ensure her might was enough to see it done.
May 26, 2015 2:49 am
Zaris shook his head to himself as he surveyed the scens. "This is not what I was expecting for the day," he thought to himself, making eye contact with Corban. He was indebted to the warrior and, in all actuality, had grown quite fond of him over the past months. His crude sense of humor kept Zaris from taking life too seriously. The elven wizard was still a bit unsure as to how the events of the past night unfolded. He was sitting quietly at the table reading as usual and the next thing he knew it had all come to blows. He did his best to help but someone (or something) got the drop on him and knocked him out cold. He awoke a few hours ago to the sound of an angry gnome talking about this tower.

"Who would bother to follow us out here anyway Reina?" he asked with a smile. He loosed the sword from his scabbard and then muttered a few words quietly to himself pointing the blade at the remains of the tower. "Eleth ander toolign!" A flash of red formed at the ground in front of tower door and the image of a small wolf appeared. Zaris hoped that it may draw out any would-be foes out of their hiding.
May 26, 2015 4:44 am
Rurik mutters curses on the heads of all Gnomish innkeepers, blinking gritty eyes against the bright sunshine. His emaciated form at odds with the lush verdant surroundings. "Sodding gnome, ye'd think he never saw carousing before." The words pass his lips wetly before pausing to spit something vile into the underbrush before continuing in a clearer voice, "Any of you know what's so sodding special about this sodding tower?" He waves a hand vaguely in the direction of the edifice, the tatters of his sleeve fluttering with the motion. Much like the rest of his appearance, his garb has seen better days, stained and stitched till it seems the patches are all that holds it together.
May 26, 2015 12:53 pm
After a minute the illusory wolf vanishes, its duration expired. The tower entrance remained quiet. A light wind dances through the clearing, rustling your clothing and the brush you are concealed within. Zaris and Reina, the most perceptive of you, notices a faint smell on the wind. The uncomfortable smell of rot and decay is coming from the direction of the tower.
May 26, 2015 5:02 pm
"I smell death. Keep alert everyone," Zaris said, keeping his blade held at the ready.
May 26, 2015 5:17 pm
"ugh," Corban said, grimacing. "I hate dead things, why can't the spooky tower ever be full of drunken gnomes that need evicting?"
May 26, 2015 5:23 pm
Zaris laughs. "If only Corban. If only.
May 26, 2015 7:33 pm
"I can confirm Zaris' suspicions. I smell decaying flesh as well." Reina shriveled her nose in disgust, tightening her grip on her weapon. She looked around at the group, wondering why Corban wasn't taking charge as she pictured he would. It mattered not. The bold barbarian strode forward towards the tower, looking over her shoulder to her teammates, "You all coming?"
May 26, 2015 7:45 pm
"I suppose the gnome wants the tower intact, else we could give the base a few sound thwacks, let it fall saving us th'time of clearing it a room a'time?" Rurik rumbles speculatively. He readies his war hammer all the same as he steps forward with the rest.
May 26, 2015 8:15 pm
As you approach the tower you notice that the forest is less dense around the base of the tower. As if, when the tower was first built, the woods had been cleared away around it and in the years since it fell out of use the forest has slowly begun to reclaim the lost territory. It wouldn't be much trouble to quickly circle the tower before closing in and Zaris does as much. The crumbled entrance is the only obvious way in, although the walls all around are rough, with stones missing here and there. An adept climber (or a lucky one) could probably scale the side of the tower (which rises a full two stories above the ground).
May 26, 2015 8:22 pm
"I thought you'd never ask" Corban answered Reina with a sly grin. "And Rurik, as much as I like your out-of the box thinking, I'm not sure you brought a big enough hammer" Corban looks at the strange Dwarf and hesitates, as if uncomfortably unsure of how serious Rurik was being in the first place.

Standing, Corban drew his longsword and started toward Reina. On his way he turned toward Zaris "Best let us heavies spring the trap, Z, I'd hate for you to burn those pretty robes"
May 26, 2015 8:26 pm
At the declarations of death and decay, Kaiakas steeled himself, sure of evil's touch on the tower ruins. He stood to join Reina, sword and shield in hand. He cocked an eyebrow at Rurik. Had anyone else mentioned something as ridiculous as knocking the tower over, the tiefling might have made some condescending remark. Rurik was a friend though. He saw the dwarf as cursed by the power he wielded, and had earned a measure of respect from the paladin. "Would you burn down a forest to stop rampaging beasts too?" He gave a small smile. "It is good you are so devoted to the cause."
May 27, 2015 3:09 am
"Thank you Corban," Zaris replied with a grin. "Although after that silly human threw up on them last night burning them seems the rational thing to do!" he added before dropping to the back of the party and giving a quick look over his shoulder to make sure no one was behind them.

Rolls

Perception check for anything behind us. - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

May 27, 2015 10:04 pm
Reina patiently waited for her party members to inspect the tower, circling it for information. She noticed Zaris was checking behind them, which made her a little angry considering she had been covering their tracks during the trek. It was insulting to think she couldn't handle such an easy task. She grunted and put the thought to the side. Her eye drifted toward the side of the tower, where it seemed like a short climb could easily have her inside the tower. Best she ask her party members for input before Reina scaled the thing. "I think I could enter through the window by climbing the wall," Reina said with a point, "Perhaps I will take that route, while Corban and Kaiakas take the front door?"
May 28, 2015 2:18 am
Zaris, satisfied that nothing was behind them, made his way closer to Corban with his sword drawn at ready. "Perhaps you'll be able to see something we can't,the elf said to Reina. He stuck his sword into the ground while he quickly retrieved a small piece of leather from his bag and waved his hand over it and whispered a few words over it. A glowing purple mist rose from the leather and spread itself over Zaris. He grabbed his sword back out of the ground and looked at the others Ready when you are," he said confidently.

OOC: Casting mage armor.
May 28, 2015 3:08 pm
"Good plan, Reina. Just don't let yourself get too separated if there's a storey between us when you drop into the window. I'll do the honours once you start climbing." Corban approached the door carefully, and deliberately enough to let his party mates get into the position.

OOC: Once Reina starts climbing I'll crack the door. Moving slowly enough in case any one has any objections.
May 28, 2015 10:25 pm
Kaiakas stayed silent as he followed Corban toward the doorway. Still peering around them, he remained vigilant, not wanting to be caught unaware.
May 28, 2015 11:29 pm
Rurik huffs softly at Kaiakas' ribbing making his heard puff out around his mouth as he does so. He follows the others slipping between the mage and danger, knowing how quickly their kind can become injured "course I'd burn down the forest, gget rid of its hiding place an' it'll be that much simpler to get ridda the beast before trailing off into incoherence muttering to himself. Internally he debates helping one of those on the front lines with a protection spell, but decides to save it should the threat turn out to be something more benign than undead.
May 29, 2015 12:50 am
Reina gives a nod and begins her ascent. The tower walls, half crumbled, offer many hand holds, making the task a relatively easy one.

Once Reina is about halfway up Corban scrambles up the rubble and carefully squeezes through the narrow opening at the top. Inside the tower is much like the outside: rubble and stone are scattered everywhere. Chunks of rock missing from the walls allow sunlight in providing dim illumination. Most of the interior walls - those which supported no weight - have crumbled. The collapsed walls open up the space, so the entry area is about as large as the tower exterior. Directly across the area is an open doorway - the door long ago rotted away - and beyond it a staircase heading upwards. Another archway, pitch black beyond, is to the left.

The scent of decay is so powerful Corban has to resist the urge to retreat as soon as he enters the tower. It only takes a glance to identify the source: a large animal is splayed out in the middle of the entryway. It looks relatively fresh, probably a day or two old. It has been partially eaten. Flies buzz in the air.
May 29, 2015 1:03 am
Kaiakas stood close to the rubble as Corban made his way in. After giving him a moment, Kaiakas followed, surveying the tower's insides, considering which path to take.
May 29, 2015 2:20 am
Staying in tow, Zaris followed closely behind KaiaKas glancing back over his shoulder as he went.
May 29, 2015 2:56 am
Reina crests the top of the tower shortly after the rest of the group enters at the ground level. It is a six foot drop from the top edge of the tower to the floor of the second level. From there it is clear to her that the tower was several floors taller than two originally. The remains of the second floor include several half crumbled walls, a stone bed and a staircase going down to the first level.
May 30, 2015 12:13 am
Rurik steps into the room, not really noticing the stench of the carcass as he leans in to see if he can figure out what they might be up against in this tower. He kneels down, looking closely at the wounds and trying to see the predators spoor.
May 30, 2015 12:02 pm
The animal is a large deer. The antlers have been removed, but the wounds indicate that it is a male. The mixture of wounds suggests that it was killed by mixture of blade and claw. Some parts of the animal were carved off with a hunting knife, and others have been torn away in large chunks. It looks like it was killed by a hunter with, probably, a pet of some kind.
May 30, 2015 12:07 pm
As the four of you, Zaris, Kaiakas, Rurik and Corban, examine and explore the interior of the tower, Zaris suddenly calls out a warning. There are dark brown fungi, a kind of mushroom with blade-like ridges running the radius of the top, growing amongst the rubble. The warning, however, is too late for Rurik who has knelt down amongst them. Kaikas and Corban, also, look down to discover they too are standing amongst the very fungi Zaris warned about.

Rurik and Kaikas briefly feel a faint numbness in their feet, but it quickly passes.

Rolls

Rurik Con Save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Kaiakas Con Save - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Corban Con Save - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Jun 1, 2015 4:44 pm
"Guh!" Corban exclaims, backing away from the menacing fungi. "What in the hells is this Zaris? Somehow I don't think stabbing it will help!" Saying it isn't enough to prevent Corban from taking a slash at a nearby offender with his longsword.

Rolls

Attack? - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

DAM- (just in case) - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jun 2, 2015 2:10 am
Corban leaps back and slashes at the fungus that were below him. The attack causes the strange yellow toned mushrooms to burst. They release their spores in a thick cloud around him. He coughs and backs further away to get out of the cloud. After a few moments the dust settles. Corban doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

Rolls

Corbin con save take 2 - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Jun 2, 2015 2:41 am
"Seven hells! Stop slashing at them! The spores!!!!," Zaris screamed taking a step back from the cloud.
Jun 2, 2015 1:26 pm
"STOP IT!!!" Kaiakas shouts at the human foolishly attacking the fungus. Moving away from the numbing spores, Kaiakas glared at Corban as he covers his mouth and nose with his forearm.
Jun 2, 2015 3:08 pm
Rueik's lungs tickle unpleasantly as he steps back from the corpse looking at the crazed-human slash at the plant. His feet scrape on the floor still tingling from the contact with the fungus. "Aye, its still a bit too early for me to be breathing in spores, no matter how pleasant they make yer feet tingle. he dryly rumbles, sharing a look with Kaiakas that he hopes conveys an eyeroll for the human race.
Jun 2, 2015 3:31 pm
Coughing, Corban takes a step back. "Well... At least we can say that we know for sure that blades won't help. I've got some torches, should we try burning the blighters?"
Jun 2, 2015 3:36 pm
"Yes, burn them," Zaris added with a nod.
Jun 2, 2015 3:39 pm
Corban swings his pack around in front of him, and pulls out a torch and his tinder box. Before starting with the steel, he waves the torch at Zaris, a hopeful grin on his face. "Come on, do the trick.... " with a sigh, Corban lights the torch the old fashioned way. He then looks to the other members in the room, and starts tentatively burning the spores unless someone interrupts him first.
Jun 2, 2015 5:28 pm
"Wait lad! How d'we know these spores won't explode when burned? Y'hear stories when yer mining" Rurik says as he steps between Corban and Zaris. The effect somewhat ruined by the fact that they can still easily reach of the dwarf

Rolls

Nature (to see if I actually know something or am just repeat old dwarves tales) - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Jun 2, 2015 8:25 pm
Rurik doesn't recognize the particular species of fungus, but he is familiar enough with fungal spores and smokey fires to know that if one used a torch to ignite a patch of them, while they will probably eventually burn, it would be a very smokey fire that would likely carry the spores into the air with it.
Jun 3, 2015 4:52 am
Careful! Y'dont want to catch the mushrooms afire, or we'll all be breathing in the spores!
Jun 3, 2015 4:57 am
"Well then... " Corban looks up to Zaris and the Dwarf, "we try to get past them without disturbing them?". Corban holds the torch up in the air and examines the mushrooms, sizing up paths through or around the spores.
Jun 3, 2015 11:33 am
Looking around Corban notices that, while the fungus is scattered everywhere, it's mostly growing in patches amongst the rubble and in dark corners. The only exception is the patch under the dead animal in the middle of the room. It shouldn't be too difficult to avoid them, especially now that he knows they are there.
Jun 3, 2015 7:09 pm
"No need to burn them and attract any more attention to ourselves out here. Tread lightly and let's get moving. I have a bad feeling about that horse." Zaris kept his sword at the ready and slowly made his way towards the other end of the interior.
Jun 8, 2015 12:53 pm
After a few minutes Reina scramblesdown the stairs. She nearly lands in a patch of the fungus but regains her balance just in time. She confirms that there is nothing on the second floor other than a well placed grease trap at the top of the stairs.
Jun 8, 2015 4:20 pm
"Okay then... What say we try downstairs? If no one has any reservations, I'll lead the way. "

Corban carefully makes his way towards the other, dark door, holding his torch up in his left hand, and his longsword in his right. Barring any action from his party members he'll make his way to the doorway and peek through.
Jun 8, 2015 6:47 pm
Kaiakas nods to Corban, "Yes." He nearly growled the word as he readied his sword and shield. The Tiefling turned toward the doorway, his tail twitching in aggitation.
Jun 9, 2015 1:11 am
"As much as I hate to admit it, I'd prefer to be out of plain site here in these parts, Zaris added following behind the others.

Rolls

Perception roll - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Roll for GM use if needed. - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 9, 2015 12:50 pm
With Corban at the lead, you descend the narrow staircase, single file. The path is lit by the flickering light of Corban's torch. The stairs wind downward for a short while before you reach the bottom. There it opens slightly into a hallway wide enough to stand shoulder to shoulder but not much wider. The floor here is a bit sticky underfoot. Zaris kneels and examines the floor, then stands and reports that the floor has a layer of bat guano on it.
Jun 9, 2015 5:50 pm
"Bat droppings," the wizard said turning his gaze to the ceiling to see if the owners of the guano were hanging up above. "Corban, be a lad and shine your torch up there," he added motioning with his staff arm.
Jun 9, 2015 6:24 pm
Putting two-and-two together, Kaiakas braced himself for what was sure to come from above, waiting for the tell-tale squeak of bats.
Jun 9, 2015 6:50 pm
"You wizards and your bat-guano..." Corban complies and raises both his torch and his longsword in anticipation of the bats...
Jun 9, 2015 6:55 pm
The torchlight reveals the ceiling to be closer overhead than you anticipated. There is only about a foot of space between the top of the tallest party members head and the stone above. There are, as fortune would have it, no bats directly above you.
Jun 9, 2015 7:14 pm
Not daring to look up, Kaiakas waits a long moment before relaxing with a sigh a relief... just in case.
Jun 9, 2015 7:23 pm
"You were not complaining about bat guano last year when it saved us both in that alley!" Zaris replied with a sly grin on his face.
Jun 9, 2015 8:00 pm
Corban shuddered at the memory. "I guess I didn't have much to complain about that night, after I bathed anyway... Let's keep moving, it smells in here." Corban grinned in the torchlight and turned to continue down the hallway.
Jun 9, 2015 8:27 pm
You proceed down the hall, cautiously and alert. The hallway continues for another fifty feet before opening up into a slightly larger chamber. The ceiling here is twice as high as the hallway. The room is about thirty feet square. Across the way you can, at the edge of the torchlight, make out a closed wood door. The bottom third of the door appears to have bene hacked away creating a small opening. Instinctively, you look up, and sure enough the torchlight falls on hundreds of bats, now stirring to life at the sudden illumination. Amongst the smaller bats are a couple of abnormally large bats. They screech and drop from the ceiling, aggressively flying in your direction.

The procedure here is fairly simple. Include at the end of your post an explicit statement of your actions. I won't be using a map. As things stand the bats are still near the ceiling and so are out of melee range (until they act). The room is large enough to get around without worry about opportunity attacks (until the bats descend).

Combat - Initiative Order
Rurik
Giant Bats (2)
Zaris
Kaiakas
Corban
Reina
Bat Swarms (2)
Jun 10, 2015 2:40 am
Rurik spits in disgust at the encroaching bats, his cursing growing more foul and gutteral until red energies gather crackling at his forearms and leap to strike the closest giant bat.
OOC: casting eldritch blast

Rolls

Eldritch Blast ranged attack roll - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Damage from blast - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Jun 10, 2015 2:55 am
The blast strikes the bat and it changes course, moving directly for Rurik, the source of the angry energy. It swoops down and bites at Rurik, but the dwarf easily ducks below its arc.

The other bat descends on Corban. The bat gets a good grip on his exposed, torch bearing arm. Corban manages to shake it off, but not without it leaving a mark.

Rurik hits Giant Bat 1 and deals 8 Damage
Rurik is missed by Giant Bat 1
Corban is hit by Giant Bat 2 for 6 Damage

Rurik is engaged with Giant Bat 1 (moving away provokes)
Corban is engaged with Giant Bat 2 (moving away provokes)

Everyone else is able to move around freely. The two Bat Swarms are still overhead and beyond the reach of melee weapons.

Zaris is next (and others who act before the Bat Swarms may also act)
Jun 10, 2015 1:14 pm
Kaiakas rushed to aid his companion, flanking the giant bat. He slashed at it, keeping his shield ready to block any incoming attacks.
"OOC: FFS!!!
Last edited June 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jun 10, 2015 3:51 pm
Corban cursed as the giant bat swept down and tore a strip out of his torch arm. "No easy meal here friend," he said through gritted teeth and brought his sword down in a furious overhead swing.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage - (1d8+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Jun 10, 2015 4:10 pm
Kaiakas runs up to Rurik's aid and slashes, but the bat was already swooping away and the attack misses. Corban, meanwhile, repays the giant bat that bit him in kind with a heavy slash that cut through the thickest part of the creatures chest. The bat, blood dripping from its wound, falters a bit in the air before regaining altitude and swerving around to prepare for another dive bomb at Corban.

Kaikas misses dealing 0 Damage to Giant Bat 1
Corbin hits Giant Bat 2 dealing 10 Damage

Kaikas and Rurik are engaged with Giant Bat 1
Corban is engaged with Giant Bat 2

Everyone else is free to move around
Bat Swarms are still approaching...

Zaris and Reina are still up to bat!
Jun 10, 2015 4:14 pm
"More bat guano to worry about!" Zaris yelled sarcastically. He swung the crossbow from his back into his hands and took aim at the second bat near his friend Corban.

Rolls

Cross bow attack - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

bolt damage - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Jun 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Zaris' bolt flies clean through the bats wing. The creature continues to limply fly around Corban, threatening to dive in at any moment for what will almost certainly be the last attack of its life.

Zaris hits Giant Bat 2 dealing 3 Damage

Reina is left to act
Jun 10, 2015 7:38 pm
"I hate bats but love their poop. Go figure," Zaris added slinging the crossbow back over his shoulder and readying his staff in a defensive hold.
Jun 11, 2015 10:12 pm
Reina draws her battleaxe, heaves it in two hands and brings it down on the giant bat engaged with Rurik.

Reina hits Giant Bat 1 and deals 6 damage

The swarms descend from the ceiling, the screeching of a hundred bats strains everyone's hearing and makes it difficult to communicate with each other. The bats divided themselves in roughly half and come to the support of the giant bats. One swarm descending on Rurik and the other on Corban.

Bat Swarm 1 CRITICALLY hits Rurik for 9 Damage - Rurik is Down!
Bat Swarm 2 hits Corban for 4 Damage

The swarm overwhelms Rurik and the Dwarf collapses to the ground under the strain of a hundred tiny bites.

Kaikas, Reina are engaged with Giant Bat 1 and Bat Swarm 1
Corban is engaged with Giant Bat 2 and Bat Swarm 2

Zaris is still free to move around

Rurik is unconscious
Rurik, it's your turn
Jun 12, 2015 1:12 am
Rurik bellows in rage and then pain as bat after bat sinks their fangs into him. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of bites he drops to the ground unconscious.
OOC: I don't suppose I crush any when I fall? Also, I start making death saves, yes?

Rolls

Death save - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jun 12, 2015 1:33 am
The Giant Bat turns its attention to Kaikas, now that Rurik has fallen. It bites hard and finds a fleshy spot to latch onto. The other bat continues its assault on Corban, but its wounds slow it and Corban easily evades the attack.

Giant Bat 1 hits Kaikas for 4 Damage
Giant Bat 2 misses Corban

Kaikas, Reina are engaged with Giant Bat 1 and Bat Swarm 1
Corban is engaged with Giant Bat 2 and Bat Swarm 2

Zaris is still free to move around

Rurik is unconscious

Zaris, Kaikan, Corban, Reina. Act at will!

Yes, now is when you roll Death Saves. That's 1 Failure unfortunately.
Jun 12, 2015 3:18 am
"Corban!" the wizard yelled at the top of his lungs. He was not going to let some winged insects injure his friend. He dropped his sword and reached into his pouch and withdrew a small vial filled with sand. He took a pinch of the red, blue, and yellow crystals and blew on it towards the bat swarm and large bat; "Itheer kalah doamise! he yelled as the sand took flight and transformed into a dazzling array of colored light.
Last edited June 12, 2015 3:25 am

Rolls

Color spray. Total hit points blinded. p. 222 - (6d10)

(3551077) = 37

Jun 12, 2015 3:30 am
Corban quickly ducked behind his sword arm at the dazzling display that Zaris shot up at the bats, and used the opportunity to catch his breath after the beating the bats had dealt him.

With a flurry, Corban unleashed with his longsword again, swinging at the Giant bat, ready to end its hungry existence.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Jun 12, 2015 9:43 am
Righteous fury filled Kaiakas as he turned his attention to the bat swarm that seemed to fell Rurik.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Damage - (1d8+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Jun 12, 2015 11:37 am
Zaris' spell blinds all but the swarm of bats engaged with Corban, whose blade, at that same moment, cut the last strand of life from the giant bat. The bats, however, seem unaffected by the blindness.

Kaiakas turns his attention to the sad and manages to kill a few bats, but they are still very numerous.

Reina hefts her battle axe and swings again, following Kaiakas' lead and turning her attention to the swarm.

The swarm around Reina and Kaiakas converges on Kaiakas, but the bats are less focussed than before and he is able to protect himself from th force of their bites.

The other swarm goes after Corban, overwhelming him. As he falls the swarm flies towards the tunnel you came a through, past Zaris and towards the stairs. The last giant bat swoops in at Reina but she deftly avoids the attack.

Giant Bat 1 and Bat Swarm 1 are blind (but it has no effect, as bats have blindsight)
Corban hits and defeats Giant Bat 2
Kaiakas hits and deals 3 damage to Bat Swarm 1
Reina hits and deals 5 damage to Bat Swarm 1

Bat Swarm 2 hits Corban for 9 damage
Giant Bat 1 misses Reina

Reina and Kaiakas are engaged with Giant Bat 2 and Bat Swarm 2
Zaris is not engaged

Corban and Rurik are unconscious (and both need to roll death saves)
Zaris may take an opportunity attack on the swarm as it flies past
Zaris, Kaiakas and Reina are up.
Jun 12, 2015 12:50 pm
Rurik begins to hear the voices of dead relatives as he lays there. He can almost make out the words....it sounds like...mockery for being brought low by a cloud of bats?

Rolls

Death saving throw - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jun 12, 2015 3:09 pm
The bats were overwhelming, they seemed to have found every inch of Corban that his armour didn't cover. He collapsed, either his resolve giving way or in some feeble attempt to avoid further attention from the swarm.

Rolls

Death Save! - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 12, 2015 5:07 pm
Zaris unsheathed his sword and sliced through the swarm of bats above Corban's head but unfortunately the colored lights seemed to have affected his aim and he missed embarrassingly low.
Last edited June 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Rolls

short sword slice - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Jun 13, 2015 2:08 am
Reina swings at the giant bat, but her swing goes wide and she misses the creature.

Zaris, I assume that was your opportunity attack against the Bat Swarm. It's now your proper turn.
Jun 13, 2015 4:36 pm
Still infuriated with the pesky bats, Kaiakas takes another swing at the flying rodents with gritted teeth.
OOC: Now that's quite a hit.
Last edited June 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jun 15, 2015 12:47 am
"Why oh why do I think I can swing a sword like Corban?! Zaris thought to himself and shaking his head. He outstretched his sword arm and spoke aloud: "Darathin leela zamen!" The air in his vicinity instantaneously chilled and a white-blue stream of light shot out from his arms towards the bats.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Cold damage - movmt to 10' per round if a hit. - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Jun 15, 2015 12:52 pm
The swarm of bats that flew past Zaris continues its escape and flips into the stair well and out into the world.

The remaining swarm and giant bat surge past the two warriors fighting them, biting on the way, and fly down the hall towards Zaris. They split and avoid him, like the bats before them fleeing for the stairwell. On the way by, the giant bat gets a good chunk of Kaiakas.

I am assuming you shot Bat Swarm 2 since Swarm 1 is fleeing. If not, I apologize, but it's too late to go back now!

Zaris hits Swarm 2 dealing 7 damage and reducing speed

Swarm 1 flees. It is gone.
Swarm 2 misses Reina
Giant Bat 2 hits Kaiakas for 6 Damage

Reina and Kaiakas are engaged with Giant Bat 2 and Bat Swarm 2
Zaris is not engaged

Corban and Rurik are unconscious (and both need to roll death saves)

Kaiakas, Reina and Zaris may all make Attacks of Opportunity on either the Swarm or Giant Bat
Zaris, Kaiakas and Reina are up.
Jun 15, 2015 1:53 pm
Kaiakas takes a swing at the giant bat that struck him before it flees. Upon seeing that all the bats had left, he turns to see Rurik lying unconscious. Dropping his shield and sword, he rushes to his friend, concern mixing with anger. "Rurik Ironfist, you are not going to allow a few flying rodents - VERMIN - to defeat you!" He then attempts to assess the dwarf's wounds and do what he can to help.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Medicine - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Jun 15, 2015 4:17 pm
Rurik continues to enrich the dirt on the floor of the tunnel with his blood.

Rolls

Death save - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jun 15, 2015 5:08 pm
Corban lies still, biding his time for his inevitable triumph.

OOC: dang.
Last edited June 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Rolls

death save (2) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 15, 2015 6:14 pm
Reina ignores the fleeing bats and sets to stabilizing Corban. She's never been trained to do this, but her battlefield experience and intuitions gave her enough guidance to staunch the blood flow and prevent him from dying outright.

The room quiets as the giant bat and remaining swarm disappear up the stair well and presumably disperse into the night. It is now just you, your wounds and the wounded sitting in the eerie quiet of the basement.

Reina stabilizes Corban.

Corban and Rurik are still unconscious.
The battle is over.
Jun 15, 2015 7:27 pm
Miraculously, the dwarf's breathing returned to normal. Kaiakas breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he sat on the ground beside Rurik. After a moment, he looked around at the rest of the group, "How is everyone fairing? Alive?"
Unless otherwise needed, Kaiakas intended to stay put and rest beside his friend.

Rolls

Short rest recovery - (1d10+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jun 15, 2015 7:33 pm
Corban awoke with a gasp. "What in the hells... Zaris, did you talk me into collecting guano with you again? Oh wait... yeah." With a wincing sigh, Corban sits up and takes a few breaths, bracing himself for the adventure ahead.

Rolls

Hit Die - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm
Rurik sputters back to consciousness, thrashing and slapping at bats that are no longer there. A stream of curses in dwarven and demonic escape his lips as he recovers his senses. "Sodding bats!"

Rolls

Hit die healing - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Jun 17, 2015 2:02 am
Zaris chuckled softly as his friend. "Trust me, I have no more interest in the two of us collecting bat crap ever again!" he stated, the grin growing across his face. He quickly turned to his injured companions, "Do any of you need any help? I'm not sure what I can offer though," he added with regret in his voice. He knew he didn't have much in the way of healing skills.

The wizard than sat down against a wall, withdrew his spell book, and read from it quietly preparing a pell or two for what else may arise.
Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am
Reina sits down and leans up against the wall, a quiet and solemn look on her face. After the first ten minutes of resting Rurik and Kaiakas suddenly pale and appear to feint. The lay motionless on the ground. Their eyes are open and aware. A minute or so of panic and concern later the paralysis passes.

Rurik and Kaiakas were Paralyzed for 1 minute

You rest for 20 minutes. Some of you already spent 1 Hit Die, so you have 1 "Short Rest Point" left to spend. If you have class abilities that recharge on short rest, or are used on short rest, you may recharge or use one of them. For Zaris, you didn't need a Hit Die so you've got 2.

Everyone (except Reina) gains Inspiration
Jun 17, 2015 2:44 pm
"Well, that was fun, you two done your naps?" Corban gestures toward Rurik and Kaiakas. Corban finds where his torch fell earlier, then re-lights it if necessary. He then reorients himself and looks around the chamber that they've found themselves within.

OOC:
Just a look around to see what this room has to offer for us, especially concerning future moves. I'll let passive perception handle this :)
Jun 17, 2015 3:22 pm
The chamber is mostly covered in bat guano. The ceiling here is gently vaulted, providing a nice space for the bats to roost. There are only two exits. The hallway you came from and a closed door opposite it. The closed door is a bit curious however, as the bottom third has been crudely hacked away and there is a hole big enough for a creature no bigger than a small halfling to squeeze through.

Corbin's eyes aren't keen enough to notice anything else. Fortunately Zaris, upon finishing his spells, also glances around and sees something sparkling in one corner of the room. A careful look confirms that it is a glass bottle filled with a viscous red liquid. A waft of it verifies that it is a crudely made healing potion. The recipe is hard to botch, but this particular alchemist didn't have the skill to fully mix the requisite paste into the fluid and as such it gelled up quite a bit. It'll probably do the job of a healing potion, but it won't go down easy.

Zaris finds a Healing Potion
Jun 18, 2015 2:18 am
"it heartens me to hear that you're unconcerned that a pair of your companions froze up for no reason lad Rurik snarls, having had quite enough of losing control of his body and consciousness for one day. Staning up and stretching, he paces a bit to get the feeling back in his limbs. Seeing the hole in the bottom of the door, he squats down to see if anything is visible to his darkvision enhanced eyes on the other side.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jun 18, 2015 4:10 am
Upon hearing the panic of his comrades, Zaris hurried over to Rurik and Reina. "Paralyzed?! Are you sure?" he asked as he pulled a book out of his pack and started flipping through it. "I don't seem to have anything regarding paralysis in here. Quickly, stick out your tongues and say ahhh"
Jun 18, 2015 5:38 am
Kaiakas raises an eyebrow at Zaris, clearly annoyed. "We're fine."
He stands and gathers his equipment as he addresses the group. "Are we quite ready to move forward?"
Jun 18, 2015 12:16 pm
Peering through the hole Rurik sees a small hallway about 60 feet long that ends in a door with the same bottom portion roughly hacked away. Along the sides of the hallway there are collapsed and caved in doorways.
Jun 18, 2015 3:59 pm
"Probably just caught the lock jaw from the bats, with any luck I'll be shutting up for you soon too" Corban says with another grin.

"What's in there Rurik? Will the door open for us, less, uh, vertically challenged party members?" Corban is careful to save this comment for when the Dwarf is well into the opening in the door, hopefully hindering sudden violent backlash.

OOC: If Rurik goes through, Corban will try the door. If required he'll give it a kick.

Rolls

Strength +3 - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Jun 18, 2015 8:53 pm
Rurik favors Corban with a sour look and steps out of the way. "A hallway ending in another door, the doors of t'the side are caved in" he shares a look with Kaiakas things suddenly making sense about what may have led to the bar fight the night prior.
Jun 19, 2015 1:37 am
"This is beginning to trouble me," the wizard stated bluntly. "This place doesn't feel safe. We avoided the fungus once, I pray we are able to do so a second time."
Jun 19, 2015 5:12 pm
"Well, let's get out of this guano-filled mess" Corban walks up to the door after Rurik steps away. He tries the door, but it doesn't budge. "Well," he says with a grin, "good thing I brought my lockpick"

Stepping back and bracing himself, Corban throws a mighty kick, hitting the door in the sweet spot, and breaking it wide open. "After me?" Corban steps through the door to the other door with the bottom ripped out, and tries this one as well.

OOC: And in an effort to keep things moving, another kick if it's locked like the previous.

Rolls

Strength +3 - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jun 19, 2015 6:39 pm
Corban gives a strong kick to the second door. It shudders in response but does not appear to budge. Corban leans into it with a shoulder and it bursts open, the wood weakened and strained by this first kick.

Inside is a room, about forty feet square. A rough, handmade cot sits in one corner, a small wood table and stool in the opposite. On the table are the basic components of an alchemical apparatus and several stoppered potions. In the middle of the room is a man.. Or maybe it's a man sized and shaped rat. It's holding a blade and narrows it's eyes at you as you barge into its room, "Who are you? Why are you in my home?"
Jun 19, 2015 7:46 pm
Allowing the others to take care of the door, Kaiakas springs into action upon hearing the voice. "Hold!" The Tiefling pushes himself to the front of the group with hands held outstretched as a show of peace."I am a paladin in service of Tyr, God of Justice. You have nothing to fear from us if you have committed no evil." He looks over his shoulder to glance at the group, ensuring they understand what he just promised.

[OOC: If a roll is needed, would that be persuasion?]

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jun 20, 2015 9:41 pm
The wererat seems unconvinced, he remains poised for combat but does not attack, "Evil is in the eyes of the beholder. I am alive and I keep to myself. You may have thought this an uninhabited tower, but now you know it is my home. If you are not brigands you will leave me to quietly live out my cursed life."
Jun 20, 2015 11:34 pm
Kaiakas nods slightly, not breaking eye contact or lowering his hands. "We apologize for the intrusion. We are merely investigating reports of ominous howling coming from this area. ... Would you happen to know anything about that?"
[OOC: Using Insight skill to determine the wererat's honesty.]

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jun 20, 2015 11:53 pm
He takes a cautionary step backwards, clearly he is afraid, "I am of the wrong constitution to do any 'howling'..." He looks from Kaiakas to each of his companions then back to the paladin, "But I am not the only of my kind in these woods. The wolfbloods are very territorial. I have made myself safe here, secured by their fear of the fungus... and usually the bats keep curious adventuring types away. The wolfbloods prowl takes them thought the clearing the tower is in."
Jun 21, 2015 12:15 am
Wolfbloods. The paladin's demeanor softened a bit at the mention of the word. He slowly lowered his arms to his side and gave the wererat a small bow. "Thank you. Where might we find these wolfbloods?"
Jun 21, 2015 12:44 am
The wererat thinks for a minute, then sniffs the air, "They usually pass by the tower in the early evening, after the sun has set and they have begun their hunt. They will be by soon." He pauses for a moment, but before anyone else can speak he says, "You don't plan on hunting them do you? You don't seem very well... prepared."
Jun 21, 2015 1:23 am
Kaiakas looked at the group and their armaments, curious what the wererat could mean. The connection between the disappearances and wolfbloods was grim. "It may very well come to that, yes. What would you suggest ... sir?" Realizing he had no name by which to call the wererat, he would make it a point to ask for a name before they left.
Jun 21, 2015 2:54 am
"You know very little about your prey." He sheathes his blade, "Not a very sound hunting tactic. Lucky you found me, and we have a common interest." He walks over to his workbench and picks up a vial filled with a silvery powder, "I'll help. I hope my aid convinces you that I am not a threat." He tosses the vial to Kaiakas, "Silver. You need silver. I just figured the formula out for that compound this past fortnight. It isn't silver, but a synthetic mixture that has all of the relevant properties of silver which halt the regenerative abilities of those with the were-affliction. There's enough there to coat a single weapon, or ten arrows or crossbow bolts. In giving it to you, I'm trusting you won't turn around and use it to cut me down." He grabs two potion bottles off the table and tosses them over as well, "A peace offering. One makes you larger and one makes you small."

Kaiakas now has a Vial of Silvering, Potion of Growth and Potion of Diminution
Jun 22, 2015 1:39 am
Upon mention of the silver compound, Zaris's eyes widened. He quickly sheathed his weapon and pulled his notes from his pack and began scribbling frantically. "I just read about a silver tincture made by Alezar the Aged from Waterdeep!" he added in obvious excitement? "How have you mixed them together?" The wizard opens his book to the page in his book and presents it to the wererat.
Jun 22, 2015 11:32 am
The wererat shakes his head, "Enough secrets have been shared for one day. I've already told you how to defeat my kind and I've just met you." He sniffs the air again, "The moon is high and I can smell the wolfbloods drawing near. If this is your course, we should return to the grove and engage them." After he speaks he moves towards his bed and reaches under the rough wooden frame, pulling out a bundle of cloth. He unwraps the bundle, revealing a sheathed blade. He pulls it partially from its scabbard and inspects it quickly, and you notice that it glimmers much more brightly than steel. It is a silver weapon. He straps it to his side and nods, "I will follow your lead and your orders."
Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm
Busy inspecting the vials as Zaris conversed with the wererat, Kaiakas saw the new-found companion arm himself and so the paladin reached his hand out. "And by what name shall we call you, friend?"
Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm
"I don't recall what I was called before the curse, but the wolfbloods have taken to calling me Gnarl. So, you may do the same."
Jun 22, 2015 2:54 pm
"Well met Gnarl, It'll be good to have your blade by our side for the coming battle. So gentlemen, and Reina, and... " he looks at Gnarl questioningly, then shakes his head and moves on. "Who's silvering their blade? I presume that vial only covers one. I'd be willing to enlarge myself and keep their attention on me if no one has a better plan. "
Jun 23, 2015 12:23 am
Zaris continued to press Gnarl about the silver compound. "But I could perhaps find a way to improve upon it. I don't think we have enough for all of us to use in battle, do we?"

Zaris wrote notes in his book frantically, oblivious to Gnarl's firm reply to his initial request.
Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am
Gnarl shakes his head again and simply ignores Zaris' argument. To the question, however, he responds, "No not enough. One weapon, or ten arrows or bolts. I should also mention, as you seem to be so inclined, that magic also bypasses the resistances of my kind. The wolfbloods will be in the clearing shortly, we should establish a plan and set it into motion before we miss the opportunity and have to hunt them."
Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm
Kaiakas motions for the group to make their way outside. When they are on their way, he walks beside Gnarl, discussing tactics and such. "How long will this vial affect my blade? I don't want it to fade away in the middle of battle. Ah, speaking of which, might you know the pack size? The thought of being outnumbered does not sit well with me."
Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm
"A splendid plan!" Zaris stated with glee. "Now how many companions would you like around you Corban? I could fit a hundred of them in a five foot space at your feet." Zaris caught himself and then frowned. "Perhaps just the illusion of a fire then?"
Jun 23, 2015 9:21 pm
"Ah, good call. The fire might make the beasts hesitate long enough for me to be able to throw back the potion. So, if there are no objections, I say we get up there and get this done, so we can go tear up some other tavern with a less sadistic patron."
Jun 23, 2015 9:26 pm
Zaris nodded in agreement and quickly pulled a piece of fleece from his pouch and began softly chanting the words of his spell.
Jun 23, 2015 9:44 pm
Kaiakas looked at Corban, confused by the warrior's comment. "Surely you cannot think the gnome knew what we would be facing. Besides, one should be honored for protecting innocents." A bit more smugness came out than the Tiefling meant to convey.
Jun 24, 2015 3:26 am
Upon reaching the main floor Gnarl sniffs the air and nods, "They are near. They will be able to smell us, so don't count on an ambush. I small three, but the pack leader is amongst them and he's worth five of us in ferocity and power. And Zaris, the synthetic silver will last at least an hour. You've no worry about it wearing off. Come, let's prepare ourselves." He squeezes through the tower entrance and takes up a position around the side of the tower, "My scent is all over the clearing, they won't know I'm actually here. Hopefully that will play to our advantage."
Jun 24, 2015 3:28 am
Reina follows along with the plan as described and positions herself bend some rubble at the side of the tower. It isn't a perfect hiding place, but it will suffice. She prepares her axe and waits patiently for the battle to start.
Jun 24, 2015 3:44 am
Before leaving the tower, Kaiakas silvers his sword and gives Corban the potion that will make him larger. He then takes his place to flank the approaching wolfbloods.
Jun 24, 2015 4:42 am
Corban walked out of the tower, drawing his sword as he did. He took the bottle from Kaiakas, giving him a grateful nod. Corban's usual humour was noticeably absent in preparation for the upcoming battle.
Once settled in the clearing, he removed the stopper, but didn't quaff the potion just yet, waiting for the first sign of the wolves, be it a twig snapping, the slightest growl, anything.

OOC: Standing conspicuously in the open, will pound the potion at the slightest sound or cue from a party member. Ready for the illusion from Zaris.
Jun 24, 2015 1:37 pm
After his close encounter with the bats and residual after effects from the fungi, Rurik stands back ready to unleash literal hell or provide support to his new comrades in the coming battle
Jun 26, 2015 2:18 am
The spell readied in his mind, Zaris moved towards the side of the tower entrance staying just out of range of the melee if at all possible. He looked across the field and decided that as soon as the wolves appeared he would conjure flames to their flank in the hopes of scaring them enough to back them up against the wall.
Jun 29, 2015 6:50 pm
Gnarl tucks himself behind the rubble at the entrance and waits patiently. His hand resting on the hilt of his own silver weapon and his nose twitching at the air, "They are coming."
Jun 29, 2015 6:58 pm
Reina stands near Zaris and Rurik, her axe drawn, ready to engage once the battle begins.

Shortly after Gnarl's remark, three wolves emerge from the woods into the clearing. They see Corban and begin to shift, their bodies twisting and contorting until they each have become a hybrid of human and wolf. One of the is a female, the largest of them in fact. The other two, smaller, but not small by any standard, are male and stay a half step behind the larger female - clearly she is the leader. They don't speak, and instead stride towards Corban, murder in their eyes. The female lets out a howl and they charge.

Corban quaffs the potion. It is thick and more than a little bit chunky. Within seconds Corban doubles in size. At that moment Zaris releases the prepared spell, a wall of fire appearing silently behind the werewolves. The two events, the enlarged Corban and the wall of fire, do not stop their charge, but give them brief pause. Enough of an opening that Reina, Gnarl and Kaiakas are able to get the drop on them as they emerge from their hiding places and counter-charge.

Corban is Enlarged for 2 hours: He is Large Size, has Advantage on Strength Checks and Strength Saving throws and deals 1d4 extra damage.

Initiative (your plan secured you all the equivalent of "20" on initiative - meaning, you lot go first:
The Party
Werewolves
Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Corban grimaced as he choked down the bitter liquid. He tossed the bottle to the side with his left hand, and was surprised when he realized how fast the potion had worked. Fascinating, he thought to himself.

After the spell went off, and the Wolves hesitated, Corban knew it was time to get this show on the road. Before lunging into the lead wolf, he leaned back, uttering a mocking howl at the beasts. He then charged forth, striking at the lead wolf with his now enlarged Longsword.

EDIT: I got the syntax wrong on the original damage roll, should be 1 point lower than it is.
Last edited June 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage if needed - (1d8+1, 1d4+5)

1d8+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d4+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Jun 29, 2015 7:25 pm
Corban's blade strikes her in the side, she doesn't even try to avoid it. It cuts deeply, but as he pulls the blade back the wound mostly heals.

Corban hits and deals 3 Damage. 7 reduced by half because of resistances
Jun 29, 2015 7:28 pm
There was a moment, however brief a moment it was, that I wondered if we were wrong about these wolves. That doubt quickly died when I saw the look in their eyes. Resolute, I charged at one of the male wolf bloods, swinging my silvered blade to cut into fur and flesh.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jun 29, 2015 8:17 pm
The wolfblood barely ducks under the attack, twisting itself around and angling for Kaiakas' flank.

Kaiakas misses
Jun 29, 2015 10:38 pm
Zaris loaded a missile into his cross bow and took careful aim at the wolf lunging for Kaikas, hoping to lessen its inevitable collision with his friend.

Rolls

Cross bow - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Cross bow damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Jun 30, 2015 11:41 am
Zaris' bolt hits the small wolfblood, but in spite of the direct impact doesn't lodge into its flesh.

Reina lets out a howl and charges into the melee, rushing to Kaiakas' aid and swinging hard with her axe. She hits it clear in its side with enough force that a lesser creature would have been cleaved in two.

Gnarl closes with the last remaining wolfblood, which was moving towards Rurik, and intercepts it. He swings, the silver of his blade glinting brightly in the moonlight. The blade cuts into the werewolf and it lets out a painful howl.

Zaris hits for 2 Damage
Reina hits for 4 Damage
Gnarl hits for 3 Damage
Jun 30, 2015 3:22 pm
Wanting to get a measure of his foe before committing his full might, Rurik locks eyes on the beast attacking Gnarl and issues a stream of curses in dwarven to blast the beast with an eldritch strike

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Damage from blast - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Jun 30, 2015 3:37 pm
"You weren't kidding about needing the silver were you Gnarl?!" the wizard remarks as he slings the crossbow back over his shoulder. He raises his hands and chants softly in his native Elvish. A stream of blue-white energy emerges, aimed at the wolf he hit with the crossbow.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

(6) = 6

Jul 1, 2015 2:47 pm
Rurik's blast strikes the werewolf, searing away its flesh.

The were's react to the surprise attack with an increase in aggression. They seem to fly into a blood frenzy as they recklessly unleash assaults on those engaged with them.

The small wolfblood engaged with Gnarl tears into him with a vicious bite, the wound, like most of those inflicted on the wolf bloods, partially heals. The other one throws itself at Kaiakas, its fangs sinking through the mail on his arm and catching his flesh beneath.

The big werewolf descends on the giant Corban, biting and clawing at him with incredible speed and ferocity. The giant warrior, however, finds it relatively easy to control the trajectory of attacks with careful deflections with his oversized weapon.

Rurik hits for 7 Damage
Gnarl takes 3 Damage
Kaiakas takes 6 Damage
Corban is missed

Zaris fires a bolt of frosh that strikes the target cleanly in the chest. The wolfblood lets out a howl of pain, the searing cold cutting through its flesh.

Zaris hits and deals 6 damage

Zaris and Rurik are free to move

Corban is engaged with the Female Wolfblood
Kaiakas and Reina are engaged with Wolfblood A
Gnarl is engaged with Wolfblood B

Corban, Rurik, Reina, Gnarl and Kaiakas are up
Jul 1, 2015 4:06 pm
"you'll have to do better than that, Wolfy!" Corban days as the werewolf's attack misses the mark.
He sets his feet and strikes out with his now over sized longsword.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8, 1d4+5)

1d8 : (4) = 4

1d4+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Jul 1, 2015 4:15 pm
Corban's blade hits hard and takes another chunk out of the werewolf. She looks hurt, but not yet badly. The wounds seem only to fuel her rage.

Hit for 6 damage! Brutal!
Jul 1, 2015 7:12 pm
Howling in pain at the wolf's bite, I shake him loose and prepare to strike again. Perhaps this time my pain induced rage will better fuel my swing.
[OOC: Of course, the guy with the silver weapon can't hit anything.]
Last edited July 1, 2015 7:12 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Damage - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jul 1, 2015 8:07 pm
Kaiakas swings but the wolf manages to duck under the attack and renews its assault.

Reina too misses her target.

Kaiakas and Reina both miss

Gnarl and Rurik are left
Jul 2, 2015 1:30 pm
Gnarl stabs his silvered weapon at the were engaging him in combat. The blade pierces its side and thick red blood stains the grass at the creatures feet. It stumbles, but remains standing. Its breathing is slowed, and its attacks seem less vigorous.

Gnarl hits for 7 Damage
Jul 3, 2015 2:29 am
Seeing Kai getting bit, I turn to the creature dumb enough to attack my friend and roar out a string on curses that seem to leap in the air, written in flames 5 feet high before swirling into a shell of fire that encloses the werewolf before bursting.
OOC: Casting hellish rebuke at the wolf on Kaiakas, it has to make a dex saving throw DC 12 for half damage

Rolls

Hellish Rebuke damage - (2d10)

(710) = 17

Jul 3, 2015 2:31 pm
Sensing the time to act, Zaris sends another bolt of icy energy to the wolf engaged with Gnarl. "To the Seven Hells with you!" he adds with gusto.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

(7) = 7

Jul 3, 2015 4:42 pm
Corban cursed as his blade bit into the wolf. He'd struck many a foe with his trusty sword, and with it being enlarged, he knew that it should be causing more damage than it was, that silvering might have been useful after all...
Oh well, only one way forward. Corban though to himself. He raised his sword and swung it in a wide slash at the huge wolf engaged with him.
Last edited July 3, 2015 4:43 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8, 1d4+5)

1d8 : (8) = 8

1d4+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Jul 6, 2015 12:44 pm
In the fury of combat the two smaller wolves fall to the ground, killed by fire and ice respectively. Corban lays into the big wolf as she takes another chunk out of his side. The two are engaged in a heated melee.

Rurik's spell hits and kills the small wolf
The other small wolf hits Gnarl for 3
The big wolf hits Corban for 6
Zaris hits and kills the other small wolf
Corbin hits the big wolf for 8

Reina, Gnarl, Rurik and Kaiakas are up
Jul 6, 2015 12:45 pm
Gnarl shuffles up beside Corban and stabs at the she-wolf with his silvered blade, but she weaves to the side and the attack misses.

Gnarl misses the big wolf
Jul 7, 2015 2:08 pm
As the smaller wolves drop lifeless to the ground, a haze eminates from their corpses swirling into the air before gliding over to me. I breathe in the smoke, savoring it before breathing it back out. The smoke exits my mouth thicker and darker but stays around me circling like a protective shell. So emboldened, my eyes almost glow as I look to the large wolf and send a blast of eldritch energy toward it.
OOC: Dark One's Blessing gives me (I believe) 3 temporary hit points for dropping an enemy

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Damage, if it hits - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Jul 8, 2015 11:33 am
Rurik's blast hits the wolf, leaving a black scorch on her fur.

Reina steps up beside Corban and lays into the were- with all of her weight and power. The axe sinks in and leaves a nasty gash in the werewolf's side.

Rurik hits for 3 Damage. Reina hits for 6 Damage.

Kaiakas is up
Jul 8, 2015 11:50 am
With the two smaller wolves down, I charge the larger wolf-woman from behind, silver blade glinting as I strike at her.
[OOC: What a waste, giving me the silver compound.]
Last edited July 8, 2015 11:52 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jul 8, 2015 3:32 pm
Kaiakas swings at the werewolf but she ducks under the silvered blade and lunges at him in a reckless, sacrificial final attack. The paladin is overwhelming by the sudden surge of aggression as she lands atop him and drives him to the ground, her claws and fangs tearing at his exposed flesh.

Kaiakas is hit for 5 and 6 damage respectively (bite and claw), and is prone.

All attacks against the werewolf have Advantage. Everyone's up.
Jul 8, 2015 3:49 pm
Corban takes a deep breath, gathering his strength, then annoyed, he looks at the wolf below.

"Hey!" Corban yells at the Wolf, "I wasn't done with you! Your meal is up here!" He scowls and swings his enlarged longsword in an upward slash, hoping to at least pull the beast off of Kaiakas if not slay the beast outright.

He then surges forth, eager to be done with this huge beast. Swinging his longsword again.

EDIT: Damage for my longsword is most assuredely NOT d20 +5... woops
Last edited July 8, 2015 3:58 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Attack - advantage roll - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage with Longsword - (1d8+5, 1d4)

1d8+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d4 : (3) = 3

Second Wind - Healz - (1d10+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Actions surge, attack #2 - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Actions surge, damage 2 - (1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d4 : (2) = 2

Action surge damage - (1d8+5, 1d4)

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d4 : (4) = 4

Jul 8, 2015 4:07 pm
Corban's sudden, and vicious assault, lifts the beast off of Kaiakas and tosses her sprawling into the dirt. Without hesitation he steps up and drives his blade through her chest, pinning the now-lifeless body to the ground. It takes some effort to free the enlarged blade from both, but in time he recovers the weapon.

Battle finished!
Jul 8, 2015 4:10 pm
As the adrenaline begins to fall and you tend your wounds, Gnarl searches the werewolf corpse. He removes a leather pouch and hands it to Corban, "This, I think, should be ample reward for your efforts." Inside the pouch is a worn map depicting a ruined castle in the Elsir Vale. The notes around the edges suggest that, in the ruins of this Vraath Keep is a hidden vault.
Jul 8, 2015 7:47 pm
Zaris runs over to the body of Corban's victim and begins inspecting the nature of the wounds. "Fascinating!" he says with a wide grin.
Jul 8, 2015 8:11 pm
"Well then, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He says, wiping the blood off of his massive sword before offering a hand to Kaiakas on the ground.

"She was sure into you Kai, were you holding out on some pork chops in your pockets or something?" Before Kaiakas can take him too seriously, Corban holds up his hand submissively. "I jest, it looks like she got both of us pretty good"

"Find anything good down there Z? I don't suppose werewolf drool is a useful component for anything is it?"

He finally turns back to Gnarl, "Where did you get this map? It looks worth checking out, vaults usually hold shiny things, and Zaris loooves shiny things. Especially OLD shiny things"
Jul 8, 2015 9:04 pm
"It was mine, originally. But the wolves confiscated in a raid on my tower during the last full moon. After that I planted the fungi to prevent it happening again. I had planned to follow it up on it, before I was afflicted. It came in to my possession when a group of adventurers not unlike yourselves traded it to me for some healing solutions. Days later I was bit by a wererat and I've not thought of it since. You might be able to make good on it though. It's a terrible shame when wealth is left buried and forgotten."
Jul 9, 2015 3:42 pm
The inn keeper was relieved to learn of your discovery at the tower. She was less happy to know you left the wererat alive, but your report of Gnarl's disposition calmed her fears. Gnarl would introduce himself to her shortly after you departed, and during the moonless weeks when he was more in control of his form, he would become a regular at the inn. His alchemical skills would earn him a place nearer to civilized life than he had been since his infection. Of course, you would never know this, for you set off on the road with a map and a drive to seek fortune and adventure.

Your only lead a scrap of a treasure map indicating Vraath Keep, the mountains and woodland surrounding it, a note about a small town called Drellen's Ferry to the southeast and the words 'Elsir Vale' scrawled in big letters along the bottom, you did what anyone with some sense would do - you set out for the nearest major city and sought out a cartographer. It wasn't cheap, but you managed to secure for yourselves a map of the Elsir Vale (it also wasn't expensive, and as such it wasn't complete). According to the landmarks on your treasure map, Vraath Keep was located somewhere in the woods between Drellen's Ferry and Skull Gorge.

The next step in your journey was Brindol, where you stopped briefly to resupply before heading directly for Drellen's Ferry. It was in Bridal where Reina regretfully informed you that she would not be able to continue on together. She had pressing business to attend elsewhere in the Vale and insisted that it was important for her to attend to it alone. Regretfully, you shared one last drink and she told you the truth of the story you'd heard a few days back about Xena, the Barbarian and the lava pit. The truth was less elaborate and fanciful than the bard's tale, but in the truth was more evidence that Xena would be a welcome and valuable asset to your haphazard band of treasure seekers.

Rurik, too, had a true tale to tell of Xena. A story he waited to share until Reina had departed. It was, he suspected, not a matter of coincidence that the nearer to the Vale you had travelled the more frequent the tales and exploits of Xena were coming up in pubs and taverns you stopped at...
Jul 9, 2015 5:16 pm
"I for one would like to find something to go along with this were-drool. I may be able to turn it into a potion of invisibility if my notes are correct," Zaris says getting up from the wolf's body and turning towards his companions.
Jul 9, 2015 5:56 pm
"Zaris, you really need to show my that Shield spell sometime, did you see how badly that she-wolf bit me? Or I guess I could just carry one, I always hated how much they restrict air flow"

You do not have permission to post in this thread.