Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm
Really David Attenboroughing this shit
Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm
It has the same feel, smell, and ineffable qualities of spiderwebbing, but it's much thicker.

From somewhere to the west, you hear a rhythmic tap-tap-tapping sound.
Nov 20, 2017 5:02 pm
Domarc will also keep watch, looking up into the trees specifically.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Nov 21, 2017 9:14 am
Felor looks at the others and nods westwards, before heading that way, scanning for any tracks.

Rolls

Survival (footprints/tracks) - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm
Mordred follows Felor, quietly.

EDIT: jackiechanheadgrab.jpg
Last edited November 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Nov 21, 2017 5:17 pm
Mordred snaps a branch underfoot as he follows Felor deeper into the woods. Domarc keeps his eyes trained up at the canopy, but sees nothing out of the ordinary. Felor can see signs of the passage of large creatures through the undergrowth, but it's hard to say exactly what. In some places, a faint vinegary odor lingers. Here and there, more strands of webbing can be seen, but not in any great quantities, until at one point the party reaches a crisscross of webbing between two trees with a dead fawn in the middle of it, apparently strangled after getting caught in the strands and struggling to free itself. Flies and beetles have found the corpse, but nothing else appears to have attempted to eat it.

While you are inspecting the fawn, the tapping returns. It's much closer now.
Nov 21, 2017 5:50 pm
"Curious that no scavenger - or whatever made this web - has found the fawn. And yet something has been moving through here," Felor says indicating the tracks. He looks around warily. "This all seems very... unnatural."

Felor feels the hairs on his neck stand on end when the tapping noise resumes. "Perhaps something has come to claim its meal."

Can I tell where the direction the noise is coming from?
Edit: No.
Last edited November 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Nov 21, 2017 5:59 pm
Felor becomes disoriented by the tapping. To him, it seems to come from all directions at once.

For the rest of the party it's fairly clear that the source of the tapping is a bit to the northwest.
Nov 21, 2017 6:22 pm
"Maybe a woodcutter?" Zangua suggests.
Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm
"Woodpecker?" Domarc counters. "But if something is coming to claim this fawn, perhaps we should wait for it to show itself instead of rushing towards it?"
Last edited November 21, 2017 6:36 pm
Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm
Zangua looks around for anywhere they can ambush an approaching predator.

Rolls

Perception? - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm
There's plenty of trees and foliage about for cover, but nothing that will conceal you from all angles of approach.

The rhythm of the tapping is too rapid to be a woodcutter. It does sound like a woodpecker, but...off, somehow.
Nov 27, 2017 2:56 pm
Felor brings his shield and spear to bear in a defensive stance but, not knowing from which direction the threat approaches, continues to scan their surroundings warily.
"We should form a circle, lest we be flanked," Felor says, thinking of predators that like to ambush their prey.
Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm
Zangua considers it for a brief moment, then nods. He readies his glaive and stands with his back to Felor, watching the other side. "Mind the branches, too," he warns, careful of the possibilities.
Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm
You hold your ready positions for a few moments, but nothing approaches. The tapping continues.
Nov 27, 2017 7:57 pm
"Shall we see who is tapping as if on our chamber door?" Domarc asks.
Nov 28, 2017 6:30 pm
It sounds to Domarc like it's coming from about 200 yards to the northwest.
Nov 28, 2017 6:49 pm
"It ain't coming to this carcass," says Zangua. "Might as well walk into its trap and get it over with, eh?"
Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm
"I can try and scout ahead a bit. See what I can find." Leth offers.
OOC:
We're in a forest, right?
Quote:
Favored terrain:
While tracking other creatures, Leth also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Edit: Well my idea was to go ahead and roll in case the party wanted me to scout ahead and save the time of waiting for responses, but I can now see how knowing the outcome of the roll beforehand could influence the decision making. Meta gaming and all that.
So I guess Leth just did it, and with a stealth roll like that, I don't think we'll be sneaking up on this creature.
Last edited November 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Rolls

Stealth, if party agrees - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Survival (tracking), if party agrees - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm
Leth trips on a vine, snapping it, as he creeps up closer to the source of the sound. In doing so, he reveals what was causing it: a black woodpecker that takes flight as Leth rights himself. He watches it fly off and disappear into the canopy.

Leth smells something foul and sickly sweet.
load next

Thread locked