Reviews?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 5, 2017 3:11 am
Would it be possible to set up a reviews section for GP? I don't know about others, but I personally find that PbP is very forgiving for trying out new games/systems. I would like to see what people thought of the games they'd been playing. At the moment, there's a Starfinder game that opened/filled very quickly. I have some other stuff I'd like to try out first before committing money to Starfinder, but I'd love to know what people thought about it after playing since it's brand new. (Sorry, but I find the "Pathfinder in space" comments too derisive to take seriously.)

I'm not sure what this might require, however, some criteria could be a minimum word count, making sure to discuss what was good/bad/ugly about the game/system, and maybe related material people might want to look into.

Just an idea
Sep 5, 2017 12:47 pm
Originally, I was going to integrate WP onto GP for exactly this; unfortunately, that plan fell apart due to a lack of time. I can however add a forum section, and as a community, we can determine if we want rules/guidelines for reviews. In fact, lets use this thread to discuss that!
Sep 7, 2017 2:46 am
I'm all for this, because usually when people review a game, it is from the perspective of live sessions, not PbP. I think we have a good niche we can carve out. What does anyone else think about this? As Keleth said, we should work out how we'd like the reviews to look.
Sep 7, 2017 6:17 am
I fully support this idea!
Sep 7, 2017 2:25 pm
Hmm, review section, yeah, that sounds neat.
Sep 7, 2017 2:36 pm
I think it's an amazing idea!
Sep 8, 2017 3:21 am
My thinking for this would be based on our own experiences with playing the games in PbP site.

What is like as a player?
What is it like as GM?
OOC:
I put both of these because a review should encompass both.
What's the good, bad, and the ugly?

My gut tells me that the reviews shouldn't be longer than 500-1000 words. I say this not because I dislike really detailed reports, but because 1000 words is about four pages of double spaced text. After that it may start to be cumbersome to read. Just my opinion.

What else might be worthwhile suggestions? What makes a good review?
Sep 8, 2017 4:06 am
What might help alleviate the strain of reading too much is to use an abstract in the beginning. 400 words or 1-2 paragraphs that summarizes your main points in a concise and readable way. The meat of the review will support the abstract in a more-detailed way.

This may also help writers create quantitative reviews.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.