An "adopt a character" thread?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 8, 2017 2:18 pm
I read the adopt a character thread on reddit and found it a nice idea. Perhaps it is something we could do here as well.

Have a good character concept which you know you'll never play again? Put it in the adopt a character threat so another player might pick the concept up and allow your character to live again in someone else's game.
Last edited September 8, 2017 2:19 pm
Sep 8, 2017 2:28 pm
Very interesting! Would be curious to see another person's take on it, but kinda risky for the same reason.

I wonder though, under what circumstances would "you know you'll never play (the character) again" happen? I tend to re-use characters that I really like: I change level if necessary, even use them across different game systems. Or they reappear as NPC's.
Last edited September 8, 2017 5:30 pm
Sep 8, 2017 2:40 pm
Well, if you haven't played the campaign in question in 10-20+ years, or if the campaign was a one-shot and it's over, then it,s a safe bet this character will never get played again...
Sep 8, 2017 2:43 pm
This reminds me, I need to prioritizing making the character library useful.
Sep 8, 2017 2:52 pm
For the purpose of adopting a character, the ability to clone/copy a character sheet (perhaps with some sort of permissions control) might be useful.
Sep 8, 2017 2:54 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
For the purpose of adopting a character, the ability to clone/copy a character sheet (perhaps with some sort of permissions control) might be useful.
That would be immensely helpful!

Is there a "Library Functionality Requests" thread anywhere? I think we should get together and brainstorm what the community would like to see!
Sep 13, 2017 10:47 am
This is exactly what I've been wishing for. Getting tired of writing characters out of games to bring in entirely new ones!
Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
As much of a good idea as this would be, a really cool character concept from one system could probably not be imported to another one this way, even if the systems are very similar (Pathfinder/D&D/13th Age).

A thread could still be useful.
Let's say I wan to allow other players the opportunity to play the character Esteber Palmelia I did for a Dungeonslayers game. Yeah, I could list his attributes and all, but that would hardly help anyone not playing Dungeonslayers. Or I could explain that aside from being an incorrigible flirt, the character is a fighting-type character built to be used in a swashbuckling adventure, using light one-handed weapons, relatively light armor as to not hamper his mobility too much, and a decent "charisma" paired with some soap and perfume as to be able to woo the ladies...
Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm
Well the original intent behind the request for a cloning function was playing within the same system. But yeah, a thread would be fun.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.