Numenera 2 Kickstarter

Sep 22, 2017 3:31 am
Looks pretty intriguing! I've backed it.

You can take a look at it here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-2-discovery-and-destiny
Last edited September 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Len

Sep 22, 2017 5:57 am
I am thinking about backing too!

I have not played any games in the Cypher system yet, but it sounds fantastic to me, a D&D player. I think it would be better suited to PbP than D&D and Pathfinder. If you have experience running Cypher System game in Pbp, do you find this is so Falryx?

I heard people call this a money grab, asking people to shell out money for a glorified errata. I disagree. A new version of a game that doesn't make obsolete most of the supplemental material from the older version is the exact opposite of a money grab.

Looking forward to playing and running it one day in the PbP medium!
Last edited September 22, 2017 5:58 am
Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Cypher system is amazing! I wish I had a spare $5,000 for the Master pledge (though that's already gone). Looks awesome :)
Sep 22, 2017 1:32 pm
@ Len People called Invisible Sun a money grab as well and 'dumb' they didn't gear the core mechanics to an online game experience.

I've enjoyed the Numenera/The Strange/Cypher system so far in playing games. I'm playing in a new game of Numenera starting next Wednesday I believe. It's a little different than D&D/pathfinder and there's a lot of possibilities (about 25K combinations currently in Numenera spanning 7 books for character creation (PC abilities and advancements further add more combinations). Also GM doesn't roll die which is nice. XD
Sep 22, 2017 7:57 pm
@ Len ::

I agree with you that this is /not/ a money grab. There's errata, sure -- but they're adding a bunch of new stuff, they're adding another book (Destiny) and they're adding a bunch of other items as a result of meeting their stretch goals (like a 120 page campaign book, etc.). So this definitely seems like new/more material to me.

I have a /little/ experience playing and running Cypher system in PbP and it generally works pretty well. I've enjoyed the campaign or two I've been a part of, because they've been pretty interesting as a world. Unfortunately the GM idled out before we got too far along (but I really liked that one). I have a hard time running a Cypher system campaign simply because I don't have a lot of time for world-building (you'll see me running Star Wars and Middle-Earth stuff as a result). It is a system I like a lot, and I've thought about Cypher-Jedi. I don't know if it'd be appropriate for Middle Earth (which I think One Ring captures really well). And one day I might even be able to get my world-building chops in better shape and with more time to run a proper Numenera or Gods of the Fall campaign.

Len

Sep 23, 2017 6:50 pm
Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone. Currently taking a break from GMing while I get used to a new work position, but the Cypher System intrigues me. Once things settle down and I start running games on GP again, a Numenera 2 game will be high on my list of things to run. Of course, Xanathar's Guide will have come out for D&D 5e by then and I'll be curious as hell about playing with all the new options. So many shiny things!

In the meantime, Darcy and Troy's Cypher Speak podcast is a great source of Cypher System info and full of inspiration and ideas to fill our heads during commutes and such.
Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm
I've only played Numenera, The Strange, and the Cypher System here on Gamers Plane. Well, I did run The Strange IRL afterwards, but just one time. I think it works great for PBP, both as a player and as a GM.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.